• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Pff died on the damn time limit at the end, still trying to get use to the new controls though, I went to scratch my back and ended up stuck in a corner :lol

Does anyone know if there is a list of the vouchers or whatever they're called? I see all the unlockables (like the screenshot tool), but I can't find a list that actually says how to get those vouchers, e.g. you get a silver one when you collect an Artifact and a red one when you beat a boss in MP1.

OMG Aero

D.Lo said:
Meh, I don't have trilogy yet but...

thelastmetroid01.jpg
Complete Jp + PAL(AU) collection.
Why do you have every game twice?

I have these.

MetroidDisplays.jpg

Really wish Gamestop wasn't a bunch of fuck ups and sent me the poster like my order fucking originally said.

I have all the US released games, but never saw a point to buying their Japanese releases.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
JasonMCG said:
Is the tin case part of the CE or is it the standard packaging?

As has been mentioned 1000 times already, the CE (with the tin) is the only edition in production in the US.

Synless

So I picked this up today and what amazes me is that MP1 still looks better than almost all the games on the Wii, and it runs at 60fps it's almost mind blowing!!!!

D.Lo

OMG Aero said:
Why do you have every game twice?
It's called collecting. It's also called reading, I stated pretty clearly it's the whole set in both PAL and Japanese.

The consumer whore comment us also correct. But I'm free to spend my hard earned on whatever I want.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Synless said:
So I picked this up today and what amazes me is that MP1 still looks better than almost all the games on the Wii, and it runs at 60fps it's almost mind blowing!!!!
I completely agree. Metroid Prime is absolutely beautiful and is every bit as atmospheric as it was when it launched.

OMG Aero

D.Lo said:
It's called collecting. It's also called reading, I stated pretty clearly it's the whole set in both PAL and Japanese.

The consumer whore comment us also correct. But I'm free to spend my hard earned on whatever I want.
Yes, I did read that. I was just asking why you have the set in PAL and Japanese.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Got it today... replaying Metroid Prime for the first time in a few years...

My, there IS a lot of unnecessary scanning in the intro, isn't there? Heh...

Two questions: why are there 6 different colors of tokens (colorblind guy can't tell them all apart), and would anyone be up for being my Wii Friend? After my system repair in April, I lost my entire GAF list.

2878 6587 9343 0860

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If I had to guess:
2 color tokens per game (one standing for achievements, the other for scans/logs, IIRC) plus the shared green friend tokens. If I'm not mistaken, MP3 had 3 colors so arranged.

Giolon

hatchx said:
Question: Can I start a game on professional (harder) mode, or do I have to beat it on easy first?
Holy Fuck people, read the thread. It's on the last page even.

Veteran Difficulty is the old default difficulty. It's unlocked from the get go. Normal is the new easy difficulty.

"Hard" mode, whatever they call ti this time around (I think Expert it was in Metroid Prime 3) is unlocked by beating the respective game - exactly as it was the first time around.

hatchx said:
Question: Can I start a game on professional (harder) mode, or do I have to beat it on easy first?
You have to beat it on Normal or Veteran first. I only have the final boss left on MP1 and spent 7 hours and 30 mins on the game, so won't take that long to unlock Hard.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Is the hard difficulty unlockable, and how many editions of the game are there?

Seriously people need to start reading.

OnPoint

Shin Johnpv said:
I have these.

MetroidDisplays.jpg

Really wish Gamestop wasn't a bunch of fuck ups and sent me the poster like my order fucking originally said.

I have all the US released games, but never saw a point to buying their Japanese releases.

Shin, shoot me a PM. I might be able to hook you up, since you have the same media tower as me and all.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Mejilan said:
If I had to guess:
2 color tokens per game (one standing for achievements, the other for scans/logs, IIRC) plus the shared green friend tokens. If I'm not mistaken, MP3 had 3 colors so arranged.

I just started a little bit of Metroid Prime 3 ... I had forgotten that you get a token for EVERY CREATURE SCAN. Tokens in Metroid Prime appear to only be given out when a boss is beaten, although the game offers two different colors of tokens.

I wonder if the manual covers this...

Got to play through the initial space station/parasite battle on Prime 1 tonight, will have to play more tomorrow, it's way too late now. Really dig the motion controls, they are integrated seemlessly and feel very smooth. Also love that you can make the morph ball jump using the wiimote now just like in Prime 3. Looks good in widescreen (did they just scale back the HUD or is the camera itself pulled back more?) and the bloom lighting effects are nice. Still miss the title screens and their respective opening musical themes, the selection menu feels soooo generic.

Evilink said:
I was going to say you were one serious fan...but I don't see Metroid Nes in your collection...or your obligatory tattoo...

I personally hate tatoos, so....no. Ha. But yes, I do have the NES cartridge (the early 90s re-release with updated box art, or HAD it. It's back at home, I lost it somewhere in my mom and dad's basement a couple years ago) which I finally got around to beating in Nov 02 the week before Prime 1 was released which was a great way to celebrate the launch of the game. Endlessly writing down the long passwords was old school tedious though and I almost lost my progress late into the game due to getting one of the more obscure characters mistaken for another (this ever happen to anyone else?).

Then in '05, I used the maps in the Oct '91 Nintendo Power to finally beat it under 3 hours (this time I played through the NES rev on my Zero Mission cart, thank goodness for auto-saving passwords to flash mem).

edit: I have one of the small hanging 3D store displays for Prime 1 which an EB employee gave me back in the day. I'll post a pic next time after I go back home in a few weeks.

Oh yeah, I also forgot to put Fusion into my picture. Never got around to owning Metroid II GB since as a kid I simply borrowed it repeatedly from a friend at school until I finished it.

D.Lo said:
Meh, I don't have trilogy yet but...

thelastmetroid01.jpg
Complete Jp + PAL(AU) collection.

Wow, very nice collection. I'd love to look at the manual art for some of the Japanese versions.

Osuwari

DavidDayton said:
Got it today... replaying Metroid Prime for the first time in a few years...

My, there IS a lot of unnecessary scanning in the intro, isn't there? Heh...

Two questions: why are there 6 different colors of tokens (colorblind guy can't tell them all apart), and would anyone be up for being my Wii Friend? After my system repair in April, I lost my entire GAF list.

2878 6587 9343 0860

i have more experience with the tokens since i got the all in both mp1 and mp2.

orange tokens = given for beating bosses in mp1.
gray tokens mp1 = given by collecting artifacts and some by reaching some areas.
Purple Tokens = same as mp1 tokens but for mp2.
gray tokens in mp2 = given by collecting each temple key (all 18 keys give one)
red tokens = enemy scans in mp3
blue tokens = lore scans (and 3 extra ones that aren't lore) in mp3
yellow tokens = boss kills in Normal/Veteran and Hypermode in mp3 (you get a second set on hypermode)
Green tokens = friend tokens in mp3.

so basically, the old games' tokens are just cool coins for progressing in the game.

btw, despite playing hundreds of hours of several metroid games and trying speed runs a few times in some of them, i feel like a casual compared to those guys who own all those versions of each game.
or i'm hardcore cheap gamer since i get few games but get the most out of them.

Giolon

Osuwari said:
i have more experience with the tokens since i got the all in both mp1 and mp2.

orange tokens = given for beating bosses in mp1.
gray tokens mp1 = given by collecting artifacts and some by reaching some areas.
Purple Tokens = same as mp1 tokens but for mp2.
gray tokens in mp2 = given by collecting each temple key (all 18 keys give one)
red tokens = enemy scans in mp3
blue tokens = lore scans (and 3 extra ones that aren't lore) in mp3
yellow tokens = boss kills in Normal/Veteran and Hypermode in mp3 (you get a second set on hypermode)
Green tokens = friend tokens in mp3.

so basically, the old games' tokens are just cool coins for progressing in the game.

btw, despite playing hundreds of hours of several metroid games and trying speed runs a few times in some of them, i feel like a casual compared to those guys who own all those versions of each game.
or i'm hardcore cheap gamer since i get few games but get the most out of them.
So to be completely clear, there are no friend vouchers in any of the games except for MP3?

Giolon

Ah what the hell why not:

MetroidCollection.jpg

Missing are all the related Nintendo Power issues dealing with Super Metroid onwards. They're all in my closet somewhere, and I didn't want to dig them out, and the Metroid Prime poster on my bedroom wall. I've also got the MPT Gamestop pre-order poster and T-shirt, but I left them out in my car. I don't own the original NES Metroid because I was too young, however, I did rent it and play it several times as a kid not really knowing what it was (I only recognized what I had played once I got Super Metroid and the revisitation of the early Brinstar areas). I have played through about half of the original on my original Metroid Prime disc.

Fun Fact: My copy of Metroid II is so old that its battery died nearly 10 years ago. I pried the cart open and replaced the battery with one that didn't quite fit (because I couldn't find any of the correct size), so it's held inside with electricians tape.

legend166

Lol at GameInformers 'Second Opinion' Review:

The original Metroid Prime is one of the best games of the previous generation, and its sequels are competent at the very least. This collection would be a great deal if it added anything at all to the original titles, but its sole innovation is grafting Corruption’s Wii interface onto the two earlier games. Aiming and panning your view with the remote is inferior in every way to the traditional scheme from the GameCube titles. Since there is no way to play with a classic or GameCube controller, you’re stuck playing good last-gen games with a gimpy waggle interface. The Metroid Prime series is still strong, but even new players who never picked up the originals would be better served tracking them down in bargain bins than struggling through this subpar collection.

It seems as though through force of will alone people are trying to paint pointer controls as worse than dual analog (hell, in this case, single analog).

I don't get it.

OnPoint

legend166 said:

It seems as though through force of will alone people are trying to paint pointer controls as worse than dual analog (hell, in this case, single analog).

I don't get it.

I personally enjoyed the Gamecube control scheme more than the one in MP3, but I want to play the games in progressive scan.

DanteFox

legend166 said:

I don't get it.
pretty much.

Struct09

OnPoint said:
I personally enjoyed the Gamecube control scheme more than the one in MP3, but I want to play the games in progressive scan.

Both Prime 1 and 2 on GCN played in progressive scan

legend166 said:

I don't get it.

"Gimpy waggle," yikes.

Corruption's controls were magnificent. The IR was spot on, gestures were sharp and worked consistently well, and so on.

I can understand preferring classic controls to the Wii interface, but to imply that it's at all sloppy/haphazard/gimmicky is silly.

OnPoint

Struct09 said:
Both Prime 1 and 2 on GCN played in progressive scan

Gah! I meant widescreen.

OK, I admit I didn't know that. But I didn't have an HDTV when I played them the first time, so it adds up. Now buying this seems a little more superfluous, but I suppose supporting Metroid isn't a bad thing.

Osuwari

amtentori said:
wow.

that is indeed mind boggling.

with the pointer the MP games play closer to dual analog than they did before.... :S

and pointer controls are not waggle.........

this is enough to ignore that kind of review.

the games are more fluid overall with mp3 controls, especially morph ball sections.

the only reasons to keep the old versions so far are either having a version with all the sequence breaks or if you absolutely hate the wii controller setup. if none of those apply, the trilogy is the superior choice.

Toy Soldier said:
"Gimpy waggle," yikes.

Corruption's controls were magnificent. The IR was spot on, gestures were sharp and worked consistently well, and so on.

I can understand preferring classic controls to the Wii interface, but to imply that it's at all sloppy/haphazard/gimmicky is silly.
The reviewer is a moron, and one with an obvious agenda no less. It would seem he doesn't even realize you can still set the controls to regular lock on instead of free aim (not to mention the more general blatant fanboyism behind his 'lol waggle' attitude).

That said, while the IR worked great the motion gestures in Corruption were far from sharp and consistent imo. Most of the common interfaces (pushing/pulling/grappling/spring ball) had iffy recognition. Nun chuck utilization in particular was questionable. Only twisting and tilting side to side with the Wiimote really proved consistent. Thankfully they weren't used frequently enough that it became a huge issue, but I think it's a little weird to say they worked really well. Playing Corruption side by side with SMG shows just how much room for improvement there really was.

edit: Who was the reviewer btw? Not that it matter I guess. Most of the GI crew could be considered usual suspects when it comes to bogus Wii complaints.

Why do people have 2 copies of Metroid Prime Pinball?

It's a strange game to be collector of. I saw it last night for £10, I know it's got good reviews generally, and I am a Metroid fan. But I have a backlog of 70 odd games, and adding this sort of game to the list is just counter productive. If you guys say it's worth it, I'll go out and buy it tonight. BTW games don't get much cheaper than £10 (new) in England.

Top Bottom