• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Clipper

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The joke is that he plays Super Metroid with an Xbox controller's d-pad.
Oh, I get it now. He uses the XBox to play all the games not pictured to complete his collection. So does that make it an admission of piracy?

the thoroughbred said:
Why do people have 2 copies of Metroid Prime Pinball?
Maybe to have a pristine Rumble Pak?

Clipper said:
Maybe to have a pristine Rumble Pak?
What for?

To keep as a spare, since they will be hard to get hold of?
Or, they will be worth a lot?

As far as I knew these rumble packs and accessories were never released here in Europe, so we never had MP Pinball and Wario Ware Twisted, but I somehow saw MP Pinball in Smyths Toy store and only for £10. I'll wait and see what people here say. If it's a must have in any Metroid collection.

the thoroughbred said:
Why do people have 2 copies of Metroid Prime Pinball?

It's a strange game to be collector of. I saw it last night for £10, I know it's got good reviews generally, and I am a Metroid fan. But I have a backlog of 70 odd games, and adding this sort of game to the list is just counter productive. If you guys say it's worth it, I'll go out and buy it tonight. BTW games don't get much cheaper than £10 (new) in England.

Simply put, do it - For £10 it's a steal! MPP is one of my most played DS titles, owing mostly to the incredibly simple (by this i mean, it has only one, PERFECT table) multiplayer mode, but also just the addiction of playing for high scores on gorgeously rendered DKC style 2D tables, with the awesome MP1 music completing the atmosphere.

I'd say it's a must for ANY collection, having the Metroid styling's attached only makes it better though.

the androgyne said:
Simply put, do it - For £10 it's a steal! MPP is one of my most played DS titles, owing mostly to the incredibly simple (by this i mean, it has only one, PERFECT table) multiplayer mode, but also just the addiction of playing for high scores on gorgeously rendered DKC style 2D tables, with the awesome MP1 music completing the atmosphere.

I'd say it's a must for ANY collection, having the Metroid styling's attached only makes it better though.

Agreed, Metroid Prime Pinball is one of my favourite pinball games ever!

Also since its a simple pick up and play game, you will find that it won't really add to your backlog really since its not a game that you "finish"

Balb

Maybe the art style helps but to me Metroid Prime 1 still looks like it has some of the best graphics ever.

upandaway

I already planned on doing a Metroid marathon when this comes out, but I've got a huge test coming, god dammit. This thread isn't helping with all the collection pics.
Looks like I won't even play the game itself when when I get until like October, and by then, I'll be deep into school year anyway.

The thing I'm worried about most is trying to find people to trade vouchers with 1-2 months after this release.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The lack of 'hard' from the start is no different from the very original Prime and Echoes. You couldn't play 'hard' on either of those until you beat the games.

Hard/Veteran is available from the start in Trilogy, and while it might only be 'Normal' in actual difficulty, it's still exactly the same setup as the originals; you couldn't pick anything higher. Then when you beat the games you get Hyper mode, which is the 'hard' version of each game, again that was never available from the start anyway.

Sure it sucks that Nintendo didn't put hard available from the start, but they didn't gimp the game or anything, just didn't bother changing it.

EDIT: Also could somebody please give me the heads-up on how to get the art book? Do you need to have pre-ordered to get it? I'm going to import from the US because I need the steel-book, but I also want the art slip.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I picked this up myself. I couldn't pass it up as these are some of my favorite games ever. I must applaud Nintendo for releasing such a nice package. This is seriously the best job they've done in this regard over the past 10 years. It feels like some real love went into the creation of this package (both the physical packaging and the content on the disc as well).

Balb

EatChildren said:
The lack of 'hard' from the start is no different from the very original Prime and Echoes. You couldn't play 'hard' on either of those until you beat the games.

Hard/Veteran is available from the start in Trilogy, and while it might only be 'Normal' in actual difficulty, it's still exactly the same setup as the originals; you couldn't pick anything higher. Then when you beat the games you get Hyper mode, which is the 'hard' version of each game, again that was never available from the start anyway.

Sure it sucks that Nintendo didn't put hard available from the start, but they didn't gimp the game or anything, just didn't bother changing it.

EDIT: Also could somebody please give me the heads-up on how to get the art book? Do you need to have pre-ordered to get it? I'm going to import from the US because I need the steel-book, but I also want the art slip.

The art slip is included with the game, it's in the compartment where the manual is.

LiK

hm, game shipped today but there's a caveat. t-shirt says cancelled AND pending. not sure what the hell is going on. if i don't get my shirt, i'll return the game and reorder with their $10 off coupon, hah.

I picked this up yesterday at EB. Of course the manager tried to sell me the extended warranty, I indicated as usual, that since pre-NES days I've not once had a game stop working on me, no thanks. He then tells me that I still should as there's multiple discs inside the collectors case and also that Wii games are extra sensitive and any little nick and they'll stop working.

Anyhoo, here's my real dilemma:

I played and finished Metroid Prime on the Gamecube when it was first released. I started and only played a little of Prime 2, and same for Prime 3.

I'm tempted to just start from the beginning, but don't really have a lot of time to invest. any suggestions? or snide remarks about the EB employee are also welcome.

Just started playing MP last night...damn I can't believe how well this game holds up. That's the power of amazing art and design for ya! This series is second to only the MGS series in that regard if you ask me. Fantastic stuff!

atomsk

Party Pooper
Lemmy Caution said:
I picked this up yesterday at EB. Of course the manager tried to sell me the extended warranty, I indicated as usual, that since pre-NES days I've not once had a game stop working on me, no thanks. He then tells me that I still should as there's multiple discs inside the collectors case and also that Wii games are extra sensitive and any little nick and they'll stop working.

Did you at least call him on the fact that all 3 games are on one disc?

Lemmy Caution said:
:lol It's almost sad that EB employees have to pull stuff like this out of their asses just to try to sell this crap.

Balb

D.Lo said:
Meh, I don't have trilogy yet but...

thelastmetroid01.jpg
Complete Jp + PAL(AU) collection.

I don't see the GBA version of the original Metroid. Some collector you turned out to be!

CloakedPuppet said:
:lol It's almost sad that EB employees have to pull stuff like this out of their asses just to try to sell this crap.
they don't. or, more to be more transparent, i don't.

unfortunately some people only care about whichever flavour of the month metric we're having our performance measured by, and throw customer service out of the window.

we just recently got asked to start pushing the guarantees again, but we've certainly not been asked to outright lie about games in order to get them.

personally i don't care where i rank in the district. i care about ensuring that i'm friendly and helpful so that you'll come back and shop with us again.

i am not unique at my store. we've only got one or two people that push their 'numbers' at the expense of actually doing a good job.

D.Lo

Balb said:
I don't see the GBA version of the original Metroid. Some collector you turned out to be!
Not released in Australia, and this us AU + JP complete. And if you looked a bit closer you'd see I have the Famicom mini Gba version.

I love it how people can post collections like this, which is a 100% complete set, and people find ways to complain, sarcastic or otherwise. </defensive Metroid collector>

atomsk said:
Did you at least call him on the fact that all 3 games are on one disc?

I wish I'd known that fact in advance, I had no idea, so I just hurried him through the transaction and refused the warranty. On the plus side, before that happened he already offered me a rain check on Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'll be trading in F.E.A.R. and Assassin's Creed for PS3 (i got each for $10) and getting Batman in exchange for no added cost.

OMG Aero

the thoroughbred said:
As far as I knew these rumble packs and accessories were never released here in Europe, so we never had MP Pinball and Wario Ware Twisted, but I somehow saw MP Pinball in Smyths Toy store and only for £10. I'll wait and see what people here say. If it's a must have in any Metroid collection.
I'm pretty sure Metroid Prime Pinball did come out in the UK but I don't think it came with the rumble pack.

Picked mine up last night with the poster and t-shirt. I had no problems claiming my bonuses at my local GS.

The game is as good as I had hoped it would be. Loving playing through MP1 again as it's my favorite by far, and I quit MP2 after a couple hours on the Gamecube so that'll be mostly new to me. A very nice edition from Nintendo.

so a friend of mine said that he'd heard some complaint about aspect ratio in the cut scenes.

looked fine to me last night, but i only played up until the first save station in Prime. any takers?

the androgyne said:

Sold

Nuclear Muffin said:
Agreed, Metroid Prime Pinball is one of my favourite pinball games ever!

Also since its a simple pick up and play game, you will find that it won't really add to your backlog really since its not a game that you "finish"
And sold again.

Will be picking up on my way home tonight.
PS - I am using a DSi. Have I just gimped myself?

the thoroughbred said:
Sold

And sold again.

Will be picking up on my way home tonight.
PS - I am using a DSi. Have I just gimped myself?
you won't get rumble, aside from that you'll be fine.

tis a great game.

OMG Aero said:
I'm pretty sure Metroid Prime Pinball did come out in the UK but I don't think it came with the rumble pack.
Both it and actionloop (Puzzloop/Magnetica/Zuma) came with DS rumble packs (weirdly actionloop was a £20 title which looking at the standalone prices for the rumble packs in Japan this must have meant NOE was making hardly any profit from the game). Still it was funny for quite some time games listed DS Rumble pack compatability on the back of the box with no way to buy the rumble pack.

Part of the "it never came out in Europe/it came without rumble" confusion is there was some sort of issue with rumble regarding Europe first noticed in September 2005 (when Wario Ware Twisted was first meant to come out), the issue was solved sometime in 2006 (by which time Wario Ware Twisted had missed its release date for 3 quarters in a row, Metroid Prime Pinball missed its original release date and Drill Dozer missed its release date never to return to release schedules). This was too late for the GBA games.

plagiarize said:
so a friend of mine said that he'd heard some complaint about aspect ratio in the cut scenes.

looked fine to me last night, but i only played up until the first save station in Prime. any takers?

I only noticed on the elevators in Prime 1 when I was well over half way through. They didn't re-render them for widescreen, but they don't look blocky or anything. My guess is they had the original vids at a higher resolution but not the source to re-render them in widescreen. I can't tell if its stretched or if its zoomed in then cropped, but it looks different.

You'll barely notice imo.

Giolon

Balb said:

At that point, I just bought Metroid Zero Mission where I can play the original Metroid on my GBA w/o having to pay Nintendo another $20 for something I already owned. :p Good eye though!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
dark10x said:
I picked this up myself. I couldn't pass it up as these are some of my favorite games ever. I must applaud Nintendo for releasing such a nice package. This is seriously the best job they've done in this regard over the past 10 years. It feels like some real love went into the creation of this package (both the physical packaging and the content on the disc as well).

It's really quite surprising. I don't understand why they'd finally show true zeal in creating a nice package for a franchise that isn't, arguably, one of their top sellers. Not that I'm complaining. I hope this sells well and represents something of a change over at NoA. I'd love to see more of this.

Wow, Prime 1 still looks fantastic. Everything manages to look crisp and clean some 7 years later. I also tried out the Prime 2 multiplayer for laughs, and, well, if it weren't for the forced 4:3, I might have to actually play that whenever my friends want a local FPS (Though Timesplitters is still pretty active).

Oh, and the tin/artbook is awesome. I love the feel of weight to it, I wish more games would do this. Shirt's kinda nice, although it's XL. Guess I'll need to shrink it in the laundry somehow...

Spocker

Crescendo170 said:
Ok, I will not buy this. Lack of tin-box in Europe and the fact that I can't start on hard is too fucking annoying.

According to the competition in place on the UK Official Nintendo Magazine website, the European edition will be released in the same style of packaging as the US version.

ONM Website said:
This collector's edition comes packaged in a special tin with exclusive collectable sleeves and includes the Metroid Prime Trilogy poster plus other bonus features. All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning is answer the simple question.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=10881

Sagitario

Arrrrgh!

I pre-ordered (like 2 weeks ago) the Trilogy with CDUniverse [they ship to my country] and also bought LKS and Klonoa. I chose the "ship together" option.

The shipping date for Metroid is today, so all 3 items should ship today... but I just got a mail from them informing me the Trilogy is backordered and only Little King's Story and Klonoa will be shipped... FUCK!

What's the point of the pre-order then? I mean... they should have shipped LKS and Klonoa immediately then [it takes 2 weeks to arrive here] if they didn't plan to fulfill the pre-order ... :(

Supposing ONM are wrong -- they usually are...

where's the best place to import US games to the UK these days? I haven't imported in years

I'm probably gonna have to get a new drive for my Wii as well. It has trouble reading dual layer discs, and I can't be arsed removing all my cool homebrew and sending the Wii to Nintendo.

Farore said:
Arrrrgh!

I pre-ordered (like 2 weeks ago) the Trilogy with CDUniverse [they ship to my country] and also bought LKS and Klonoa. I chose the "ship together" option.

The shipping date for Metroid is today, so all 3 items should ship today... but I just got a mail from them informing me the Trilogy is backordered and only Little King's Story and Klonoa will be shipped... FUCK!

What's the point of the pre-order then? I mean... they should have shipped LKS and Klonoa immediately then [it takes 2 weeks to arrive here] if they didn't plan to fulfill the pre-order ... :(
Well that sucks, but at least you'll finally have LKS and Klonoa to keep you occupied in the interim, and both are pretty great.

soldat7 said:
The new controls (advanced) actually make me a bit motion sick. Hopefully I can get over that.

Just play in normal mode, the advanced one with almost no dead zone is stupid, aiming at the very center of the screen is tiring, you need some dead zone. The hype of the advanced controls is incredibly stupid, if you want a fast and responsive FPS, just play a PC game with a mouse.

Giolon

RockmanWhore said:
Just play in normal mode, the advanced one with almost no dead zone is stupid, aiming at the very center of the screen is tiring, you need some dead zone. The hype of the advanced controls is incredibly stupid, if you want a fast and responsive FPS, just play a PC game with a mouse.

It took some getting used to, but I am really finding it easier to play on the advanced controls. You can respond to threats so much faster, and you can also easily quickly aim at enemies that you aren't primarily aimed at (great during stuff like swarms of beetles). I wouldn't begrudge anyone who wants to play it on the normal control setting.

Also, about your avatar...

OMFG!! MY EYES! IT BURNS!

VAIL

Picked it up, got the poster and T-shirt no problem.

Loving it all over again, I like the achieves added to MP too, nice lil touch.

Tendo

there a reason walmart isn't carrying this? :( I didnt want to order online and the nearest "other" store is 45 minutes away. grrr.

EDarkness

RockmanWhore said:

Eh? I understand people have their own opinion on things, but I didn't expect to ever read this one.

Top Bottom