• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Meesh

Forgot how jizzdoodling the atmosphere in Prime was...I'm in love with this all over again, so good.

For those dropping the deuce on Wii ponter controls for FPSs, shaddup, I could never seem to master dual analog so revisiting Prime this way is a dream come true. Might not be the ol' kb&m, but Wiis pointer controls for FPSs is a damn fine improvement.

dkeane

Just played Prime 1 for about 2 hours - wow the controls are so great, I forgot how fucking amazing this game was. So glad I picked this up.

I finally picked up my copy tonight. Got the shirt and poster, as expected.

But I do have an extra poster, if any of you guys pre-ordered it and were left hanging by GameStop.

Turns out I was literally the only one who reserved it at my GS - so one of the posters went to me and the manager took one. I asked him for the other, since I knew someone here might want it. So just let me know if anyone wants it (keeping in mind I'd rather send within the US because of the cost).

Linkhero1

Toy Soldier said:

But I do have an extra poster, if any of you guys pre-ordered it and were left hanging by GameStop.

Turns out I was literally the only one who reserved it at my GS - so one of the posters went to me and the manager took one. I asked him for the other, since I knew someone here might want it. So just let me know if anyone wants it (keeping in mind I'd rather send within the US because of the cost).
I'll take it if you don't mind. I didn't buy it at gamestop, so it would be awesome if possible.

Consider it done. :) I've already got a tube for mailing it, so I'll drop it by the post office within the next few days. Toss me a PM with the address you want it sent to.

HUELEN10

Just dropping in to say that besides puking puking 3 times so far, this game is fucking amazing! I just got the 1st artifact in Prime 1! :D

I have decided to play all 3 in order, 3 is what I really want to play, but all in good time.

OnPoint

HUELEN10 said:
Just dropping in to say that besides puking puking 3 times so far, this game is fucking amazing! I just got the 1st artifact in Prime 1! :D

I have decided to play all 3 in order, 3 is what I really want to play, but all in good time.

I thought about doing that too, but I think I'm going to skip 2. I just can't see going through it again.

boiled goose

good with gravy
OnPoint said:
I thought about doing that too, but I think I'm going to skip 2. I just can't see going through it again.

its not that bad.

and youll miss on the best bosses of the series and some of the coolest enviroments. (sanctuary fortress)

Koodo

Banned
Just got this today. A few things:

- The packaging does not disappoint. Oh my, what a send-off.
- The menu presentation, on the other hand, is the weakest by far. Very uninspired.
- I've noticed a few graphical changes to Metroid Prime 1 so far. I think the design of those little critters in the Space Pirate Frigate have been slightly altered?
- Controls are amazing. However, I don't know if it's just me getting used to the different controls for Prime 1 (even though I already played Corruption), but what I've played of Veteran so far has been surprisingly challenging.
- Last but not least, I can't believe I forgot how jaw-droppingly atmospheric the first game is. Oh my!

OnPoint

amtentori said:
its not that bad.

and youll miss on the best bosses of the series and some of the coolest enviroments. (sanctuary fortress)

I loved that level the first time around. I just don't want to play through the game again haha

ciD_Vain

came to post that i've just gotten my copy a few hours ago. It's amazing to say the least. Very awesome how it's packaged

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
After playing with it on for about an hour, I actually disabled lock-on free-aim in Prime 1. It's delightful and all, but you can tell the game wasn't designed around it. For example, the first miniboss, with the wasps circling around you, or even the beetle before you get the morph ball.. these are enemies with very brief moments of vulnerability that need to be exploited immediately. If you have to aim your cursor to make sure it's pointing at the guy, often a very tiny target, you're spending precious time that you need to be spending blasting the dudes.

I was in love with lock-on free-aim in Prime 3, it's a brilliant setup to be sure, but this Trilogy here has made clear that you really need to design your game around it from the start.

No biggie though, I'll just keep it off till I move on to Prime 3.

Osuwari

RockmanWhore said:
Just play in normal mode, the advanced one with almost no dead zone is stupid, aiming at the very center of the screen is tiring, you need some dead zone. The hype of the advanced controls is incredibly stupid, if you want a fast and responsive FPS, just play a PC game with a mouse.

quoted for truth.

i can't play with advanced to save my life because motion sickness kicks in fast. i'm locked at normal sensitivity.

that didn't stop me from beating mp1 and mp2 under 3 hours each.

Meesh

Toy Soldier said:

I don't think Canadians had the same deal...*pouts*...I wanted a shirt and poster too :D

upandaway

OnPoint said:
Here is MP2 in a nutshell:
When it's good, it's better than anything else in the trilogy.
When it's bad, it's worse than anything else in the trilogy.

I think this can be agreed upon, no?
And note that for some people, MP2 on easy mode made it much more bearable to many people.

Edit: Just making clear, I have no real logical reason to why I quoted you specifically, it was meant for the general discussion.

hatchx

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Once you finish the game in any difficulty you unlock the Hard Mode, which is the same as the Hard mode from the original games. The only thing they did was add an easy mode, they didn't remove the original modes. I don't understand why brains are melting over this.

Omega-lame. I had a feeling Prime 1 was too easy on Veteran mode today. They should give us hard mode from the beginning. I've already beaten these games multiple times.

kiryogi

Banned
Anyone sorta wishing you could switch the morphball controls? I keep thinking Down on the wiimote is for Morph ball. I mean you think hitting down like in a 2d metroid yknow? But I keep ending up wasting missles instead D: If you could switch C and Down like that I'd be happy. But besides that, Trilogy is super awesome. Just sad about the fact that it's unfriendly to USBloader. Going to finally use this as a my chance to finish Prime 2 and start/play Prime 3.

VegaShinra

Linkhero1 said:
Can't wait for my copy to arrive. Going to beat all three in order again. :D
As will I once EB ships my order.

It has to eventually be done verifying! Only 3 days so far of it....

OnPoint

hatchx said:
Omega-lame. I had a feeling Prime 1 was too easy on Veteran mode today. They should give us hard mode from the beginning. I've already beaten these games multiple times.

Wait, is "Veteran" the difficulty mode found in the original?

upandaway said:
Here is MP2 in a nutshell:
When it's good, it's better than anything else in the trilogy.
When it's bad, it's worse than anything else in the trilogy.

I think this can be agreed upon, no?
And note that for some people, MP2 on easy mode made it much more bearable to many people.

Edit: Just making clear, I have no real logical reason to why I quoted you specifically, it was meant for the general discussion.

I take no personal slight to it, but a lot of people here sure do like 2. I think I'm just going to keep my distaste for it away from this thread from now on haha

kiryogi said:
Anyone sorta wishing you could switch the morphball controls? I keep thinking Down on the wiimote is for Morph ball. I mean you think hitting down like in a 2d metroid yknow? But I keep ending up wasting missles instead D: If you could switch C and Down like that I'd be happy. But besides that, Trilogy is super awesome. Just sad about the fact that it's unfriendly to USBloader. Going to finally use this as a my chance to finish Prime 2 and start/play Prime 3.

I had the same problem until I got on to Tallon. Then I was adjusted. I also wanted Z to jump a few times... no idea why.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Prime 1 kicks so much ass. Haven't played it since I beat it 2 days after it released in Nov of 2002.

New controls take a while to get used to, but work very well (except for the circling bug boss towards the begining. That was just annoying with the new controls)

Sp3eD said:
Prime 1 kicks so much ass. Haven't played it since I beat it 2 days after it released in Nov of 2002.

New controls take a while to get used to, but work very well (except for the circling bug boss towards the begining. That was just annoying with the new controls)
Holy shit!!! YESS!! Everything else has been awesome obviously.

boiled goose

good with gravy
hatchx said:

i agree. they should at least have an unlock code or something.

Osuwari

Sp3eD said:

hm, i think you'll like the game even more if you check out the sequence break tricks.

btw, someone should update the OP with all the stuff that keeps getting asked a lot like difficulties, changes, etc. and make the OP a mandatory read before asking these questions.

Diortem7

Sp3eD said:

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one to have difficulties. Damn wasps nearly killed me.

jorgeton

Picked this up earlier this week. My first time playing any of the Prime games. I'm also planning to play them all in order. So far Prime 1 is excellent. Anyone else get a headache after an hour of playing it though? It's weird, as I don't get motion sick from FPSs, but this one makes me reach for the ibuprofen. Also, agreed on that early wasp boss. There were a lot of f-bombs thrown around during that fight.

OmegaErock

Neo Member
Diortem7 said:
I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one to have difficulties. Damn wasps nearly killed me.

LOL I actually died a few times. Damn wasps! :(

For everything except that boss the controls have been great. Just got to phendrana drifts and man oh man I forgot how beautiful it is.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I never got into Metroid Prime, honestly. I'm an enormous Metroid fan, but I just couldn't do Prime for some reason. I mean, I've beaten it, but it just didn't seem to fit for me.

I suppose, though, it's time to give it another try. Wish me luck. I want to like this game so much...

As a total MP virgin, I came here to ask what the deal is with scanning? I'm having a lot of fun with the combat and exploration but it seems like there are like 5 things to scan in every room and the game has just become one tedious scan-a-thon.

Am I scanning too much? Is it really ever necessary?

Giolon

Osuwari said:
hm, i think you'll like the game even more if you check out the sequence break tricks.

So I noticed that the version on MPT is essentially the PAL version of Metroid Prime (minus terrible voiceovers). I've noticed several balance tweaks from the original NTSC version (Ice Troopers can't be shattered?! Missle Ammo drops in 3 sizes?!) and sequence break prevention elements (bendezium rubble in front of the Grappling Hook door, gratings across an opening you used to be able to get over in morph ball form in Chozo Ruins), and even some cutscene changes (when Samus picks up the Grappling Beam, it's way cooler now).

Did anybody who had motion sickness issues with Prime on GC pick this up? I could never play it on the Cube without wanting to puke my guts out. I'm reluctant to buy this again and still not get to play it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Lamonster said:
As a total MP virgin, I came here to ask what the deal is with scanning? I'm having a lot of fun with the combat and exploration but it seems like there are like 5 things to scan in every room and the game has just become one tedious scan-a-thon.

The frigate has a ridiculous amount of things to scan, proportionally more so than most places in the game.

Scanning is basically a sort of combination hint system / storytelling device. The only things that are necessary to scan show up as red. If something catches your eye or you're stuck, it's a good idea to scan. However, don't feel like you have to scan every little thing in the game. It doesn't count towards your overall completion.

OMG Aero

OnPoint said:
Wait, is "Veteran" the difficulty mode found in the original?
From what I have heard it sounds like
Trilogy normal mode = Brand new easy mode
Trilogy veteran mode = Normal mode from the Gamecube games
Trilogy hyper mode (Needs to be unlocked) = Hard mode from the Gamecube games

But the game isn't out here yet so I might be wrong.

farnham

Banned
The Lamonster said:

its your choice

either scan a lot and have a kickass logbook later or ignore it and only scan the necessary things (red ones)

question....how do you get MP2/MP1 to display in 480p? They are only playing in 480i for me and I can't find it in the options.

scitek

Thing is, scanning contributes to a completion percentage. If it's your first time through the game, though, I'd recommend reading the info. It's way more immersive that way.

Diortem7

The Lamonster said:
You don't have to scan everything; however, some of it is there to give you hints. The main ones to look for are the red ones, but you could ignore the rest.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Really a shame that the trilogy can't scan your GC memory cards for past data to unlock hard modes(or other bonuses).

I'm sitting here wavering on buying, but the idea of playing on normal instead of hard is a real kick in the balls.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Brandon F said:
Really a shame that the trilogy can't scan your GC memory cards for past data to unlock hard modes(or other bonuses).

I'm sitting here wavering on buying, but the idea of playing on normal instead of hard is a real kick in the balls.
That does suck, but the last time I ran through Prime on Normal is was only like eight hours.

Still, it is a missed opportunity.

bumpkin

Sp3eD said:

Maybe I'm revealing how weak-sauce I am, but I had a hell of a time with that fight in the original game! :lol

bumpkin said:
Maybe I'm revealing how weak-sauce I am, but I had a hell of a time with that fight in the original game! :lol

I had a hell of a time with the final boss in that game, never did beat it :( Redemption!

upandaway

Brandon F said:

By the time you finally decide whether you want to buy it or not, you could have unlocked anything unlockable in the game already.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
upandaway said:
By the time you finally decide whether you want to buy it or not, you could have unlocked anything unlockable in the game already.

Yea, but part of the thrill of re-experiencing this trilogy fresh after so many years WOULD be to do so on a higher difficulty.

upandaway

Brandon F said:
Yea, but part of the thrill of re-experiencing this trilogy fresh after so many years WOULD be to do so on a higher difficulty.
If it annoys you THAT much, I've said this before, you can just try downloading a save file of someone who did unlock hard mode. By the looks of it people will do it this week.

Meh, I didn't get any of the pre-order stuff but the case. >_>

I guess thats what happens when you pre-order stuff from a brand new GS in a inder-city mall.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
upandaway said:
If it annoys you THAT much, I've said this before, you can just try downloading a save file of someone who did unlock hard mode. By the looks of it people will do it this week.

So MPT saves aren't locked to the console? I know they are for some games.

upandaway

vanguardian1 said:
So MPT saves aren't locked to the console? I know they are for some games.
Someone else who owns the game should check for an answer, because I don't know. But I do know homebrew can help you transfer save files regardless of whether they're locked or not.

I know they were locked for Brawl and... Brawl. Maybe something about online that requires the save to match the console? Oh well, doesn't matter.

Top Bottom