• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

upandaway

Brandon F said:
HATE that shit. Don't force me to play a 15-20 hour game to unlock a difficulty that is suited for me.
You can always just download a save file from someone who did beat it.
And while I agree, it's not really 15-20, it's more like 10 first time and 7-8 if you're not trying to go fast.

Here's a few pics of my case and the stuff in it.

3855829977_448b9b367b_b.jpg

3855841685_0df35d5d1a_b.jpg

3855832745_bce67f6256_b.jpg

3855834303_628e1a08b7_b.jpg

3856629528_237a834a32_b.jpg

3856625614_174e15e1a2_b.jpg

3856628294_f5eb284075_b.jpg

3856627034_99581c98f1_b.jpg

The artbook isn't really a book, more like a mini-poster of concept artwork. I was hoping for an instruction booklet-sized book with art, but meh.

Kuramu

VegaShinra said:
Did anyone else order online via EB or GS? Mine still hasn't shipped according to the website. WTF is going on.

I ordered EB, and it not only shipped but is out for delivery right now

Johnas

Does anybody know how limited this print run will be since this is a Collector's Edition?

I'm still on the fence about buying it, but if it will be hard to find say, this Christmas, I may just get it now.

JSnake said:
You guys should be happy about the difficulty change. Fucking Spider Guardian in MP2.

Haha yeah, I told my brother about the difficulty changes and he was a bit glad as he said the Spider Guardian on hard mode was the hardest boss he ever fought, I never got that far in MP2 though. I'm curious to see how they made him easier.

Also, some of the sound effects were changed, e.g. the sound when you're near something that can damage you and when the hint system tells you to go to a room.

JSnake

Iron Toaster said:
Haha yeah, I told my brother about the difficulty changes and he was a bit glad as he said the Spider Guardian on hard mode was the hardest boss he ever fought, I never got that far in MP2 though. I'm curious to see how they made him easier.

Fuck hard mode, man. SG on NORMAL is the hardest boss I've ever fought.

VegaShinra said:
Did anyone else order online via EB or GS? Mine still hasn't shipped according to the website. WTF is going on.
I don't know if their site is always slow with shipping, but a few weeks ago I placed an online order on the Gamestop website (my first time since I ordered a Dreamcast there in 1999). The game page said "Usually ships in 24 hours" and I even picked one-day shipping. They didn't ship my game until 4 days later, so it took 5 days to recieve. =P

neoism

JSnake said:
You guys should be happy about the difficulty change. Fucking Spider Guardian in MP2.
No shit, I only watched my brother-in-law play it when it came out, and it looked too fucking hard! I'm really only buying this for MP1( for the new controls), and MP3 which I've never played!

Oh yeah, they put the Spring Ball in Metroid Prime. When you get the Morph Ball Bombs, you can then do the Spring Jump by flicking the Wii Remote up. You go as high as laying a bomb, so it's so-so, good if you don't want to wait for a bomb to make you jump. Basically the same as in MP3. Probably the same in MP2.

TheExodu5

Banned
Played MP for about an hour last night. I played a bit of the GC version that aMasterNinja sent me...it's what pushed me to get MP Trilogy (thanks aMasterNinja!).

I like it a lot better than Corruption. No time wasted on pointless story, no interaction with other characters, just pure Metroid. Not super happy with the inclusion of Space Pirates, but otherwise, this game actually feels like Metroid.

Should I be playing on Veteran? I read it's the default GameCube difficulty, so I figured I'd go with it.

Oh, and I gotta say: <3 60fps.

Spruchy

Why the hell do no stores near me have this yet even though everyone had Layton yesterday?

Whatever back to Dissidia and Layton.

JSnake

Iron Toaster said:
Oh yeah, they put the Spring Ball in Metroid Prime. When you get the Morph Ball Bombs, you can then do the Spring Jump by flicking the Wii Remote up. You go as high as laying a bomb, so it's so-so, good if you don't want to wait for a bomb to make you jump. Basically the same as in MP3. Probably the same in MP2.

Yeah, this alone should make the SG easier.

Johnas

TheExodu5 said:
Played MP for about an hour last night. I played a bit of the GC version that aMasterNinja sent me...it's what pushed me to get MP Trilogy (thanks aMasterNinja!).

I like it a lot better than Corruption. No time wasted on pointless story, no interaction with other characters, just pure Metroid. Not super happy with the inclusion of Space Pirates, but otherwise, this game actually feels like Metroid.

Should I be playing on Veteran? I read it's the default GameCube difficulty, so I figured I'd go with it.

Oh, and I gotta say: <3 60fps.

Yep, MP is the gold standard of the Prime games.

Based on what I just learned reading this thread, you're good on Veteran. The original difficulty is satisfying.

And yes, 60 fps ftw.

P.S. Come on now dudes, Spider Guardian isn't that bad. Unless you hate cool puzzles. :p

Johnas said:

Based on what I just learned reading this thread, you're good on Veteran. The original difficulty is satisfying.

And yes, 60 fps ftw.

P.S. Come on now dudes, Spider Guardian isn't that bad. Unless you hate cool puzzles. :p
Yeah now that I think of it, I think my brother was actually talking about the Boost Guardian being the hardest boss he ever fought, I remember him saying there was no Light Crystals and I'm pretty sure that fits the Boost Guardian according to Metroid Wiki.

JSnake

Johnas said:

And yes, 60 fps ftw.

SG made me physicially ill. I threw up out of rage once. :(

BG is easy mode though.

Iron Toaster said:
Yeah now that I think of it, I think my brother was actually talking about the Boost Guardian being the hardest boss he ever fought, I remember him saying there was no Light Crystals and I'm pretty sure that fits the Boost Guardian according to Metroid Wiki.

Boost Guardian just about made me quit playing Metroid forever.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Lamonster said:
As a huge gamer but a total virgin of all Metroid games...I'm very excited to start playing.

Dude.

This is almost going to be too much concentrated awesome for you to handle.

Be absolutely sure that you download Super Metroid off the VC when you have the chance, too.

I'm a fan of difficult games, but difficult combat and Metroid don't make a good mix. Especially in the Prime games, where enemies just become bullet sponge and they take ages to kill. It's a good thing that they're tuned it down. It's very frustrating to lose in a game like that, (you can miss bonus, thinking you had taken them, for example).

Metroid is all about movement and explorations, the combat aspect of this franchise isn't that great, and shouldn't be too hard or frustrating, it's one of the reason why MP3 can't touch the awesomeness of Super Metroid or MP1, these games are more oriented toward action. That's also one of the reasons people hate prime 2, the enemies are pretty tough. That's actually why I'm not a big fan of Shadow Complex, it's a great game, but the platform movements aren't that nice, the game handles combat pretty well, with some nice aiming mechanics and some tactical use, but the movements of the character aren't that interesting (double jump, triple jump? come on, you can do better than that :lol ) which hurts the replay value and the whole point of making crazy speed runs.

For a good Metroid challenge, it's better to make a speed run. If the harder modes changed levels a little (with more or less platforms to piss you off and make you reconsider some levels), and if enemies had new pattern behaviours or attacks, it would be awesome, but as it is, it just makes the game more frustrating than they should be. Well, that is if the new difficulty isn't too easy, I'm not sure if it was necessary to tune down MP1, but for 2 it's not a bad idea.

Johnas

The Lamonster said:
Just picked this up at lunch.

As a huge gamer but a total virgin of all Metroid games...I'm very excited to start playing.

Does not compute? I'm kidding, but now you'll get to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm not going to necessarily recommend you not play this now, but it would be preferable if you had played Metroid 1 (and/or Zero Mission) and Super before playing these games.

Super Metroid amps up the original concept, and Prime is of course the first 3D Metroid, and still the best 3D entry.

At any rate, please go back and play Super sometime.

JSnake said:
SG made me physicially ill. I threw up out of rage once. :(

:lol Well, you have special reason then. ;)

VegaShinra

Kuramu said:
I ordered EB, and it not only shipped but is out for delivery right now
Great, so I'm getting screwed over right now. Still says the order is verifying. I ordered this the day it was available to order online.

ZealousD said:
Be absolutely sure that you download Super Metroid off the VC when you have the chance, too.
Johnas said:
At any rate, please go back and play Super sometime.
That has always been the plan...but lack of classic controller and Gamecube controller cords being too short has so far prevented me from getting into SNES VC games.

Maybe after I play the Prime Trilogy, I'll quit being a baby and pull up a chair, sit right in front of the TV and play through Super Metroid with my Gamecube controller.

Touchdown

Banned
Today I got an email from gamestop saying it was backordered and the free shirt that comes with it is also backordered and that the poster that I was supposed to get with it is not available any more, so instead they are going to give me a 10% coupon on my next gamestop purchase online. I don't want a stupid 10% coupon, I WANT MY MOTHERFUCKEN METROID POSTER! Why advertise stuff that you don't fucking have!!!?????? :mad:

upandaway

The Lamonster said:
That has always been the plan...but lack of classic controller and Gamecube controller cords being too short has so far prevented me from getting into SNES VC games.

Maybe after I play the Prime Trilogy, I'll quit being a baby and pull up a chair, sit right in front of the TV and play through Super Metroid with my Gamecube controller.
Dear god. Are you out of your mind? Never, ever do that.

Get the classic when you get the chance. It's worth it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Lamonster said:

Buy the classic controller. It's worth it. Even if the only game you buy on the VC is Super Metroid.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
all department stores around me are out of it. and the game came out yesterday.

what the heck! don't tell me it's understocked.

the tin is more beautiful in person.

it alone justifies my purchase.

spider guardian annoyed me the most in Prime 2. i put the game down for well over a year due to how mad it made me first time through. beat it in the end though, but i'm glad to know i won't be going through that crap again.

upandaway said:
I think you guys are exaggerating a bit right now.
you do not know how much disposable income i have.

trust me, this is only the second time i've bought these games. some games i've bought many more times than that.

honestly, i can't think of a game that came in nicer packaging... and i have the PAL Ico.

also, it might be worth noting the avatar.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm thinking of grabbing this with the TRU gift card I got with Batman (and taking advantage of the B1G1 50% off). I love the Wii controls, but I'm curious if there is some way to use the Gamecube pad with the title. I'm 99.9% sure you cannot (it wouldn't make much sense for them), but it would be really cool if that option was there. :)

the tin is more beautiful in person.
Is that only available at Gamestop?

ryan-ts

plagiarize said:
you do not know how much disposable income i have.

trust me, this is only the second time i've bought these games. some games i've bought many more times than that.

honestly, i can't think of a game that came in nicer packaging... and i have the PAL Ico.

also, it might be worth noting the avatar.

Why don't you dispose some of your income my way? :lol

edit: seriously though, spread the wealth

Ulairi

Banned
dark10x said:
I'm thinking of grabbing this with the TRU gift card I got with Batman (and taking advantage of the B1G1 50% off). I love the Wii controls, but I'm curious if there is some way to use the Gamecube pad with the title. I'm 99.9% sure you cannot (it wouldn't make much sense for them), but it would be really cool if that option was there. :)

Is that only available at Gamestop?

Nope. The only way to get the game is the collectors edition, there isn't a "regular" and collectors. I picked mine up at Best Buy and it's really nice.

I haven't seen this addressed elsewhere and the thought of searching through 8 pages of this thread seems like a waste of time compared to just asking... Is there an option on the Metroid Prime Trilogy disc to play all three games with the classic controls? Sometimes I just don't want to be arsed to hold my arms up my entire play session.

keeblerdrow said:
I haven't seen this addressed elsewhere and the thought of searching through 8 pages of this thread seems like a waste of time compared to just asking... Is there an option on the Metroid Prime Trilogy disc to play all three games with the classic controls? Sometimes I just don't want to be arsed to hold my arms up my entire play session.

Like with the GameCube controller or Classic Controller? No. Only the Wii Remote and Nunchuk work, you cannot use any other controllers.

[Nintex]

*looks at tin*

Well fuck if I don't see that in Europe next week I'm going to be pissed.

Another question that I haven't seen yet, did they add the 'checkpoint' system to MP1 and MP2? I remember MP2 had some save locations(Torvus Bog) that were like 20 minutes out from the boss and if you died you had to do a whole bunch of shit all over again.

[Nintex] said:
*looks at tin*

Well fuck if I don't see that in Europe next week I'm going to be pissed.

Another question that I haven't seen yet, did they add the 'checkpoint' system to MP1 and MP2? I remember MP2 had some save locations(Torvus Bog) that were like 20 minutes out from the boss and if you died you had to do a whole bunch of shit all over again.

I don't think so, in MP1 anyway it is still just Save Stations.

Magnus

How are some of you playing MP2 already, if it requires you to play MP1 first to unlock 2?

Also, I'm a little bummed that the original Metroid Prime 1 start menu + music has been removed; I trust the same is the case for the sequels once I unlock those. :(

I'm actually glad about the new difficulty levels. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be playing Prime and Corruption on veteran my first time through, but Echoes always felt tedious to me because so many of the enemies are damage sponges for no good reason. You get the basic beams fairly early on and never really progress far enough in power after that to make going back to old areas and picking off enemies satisfying in the typical Metroid fashion. Even when you finally get the
Annihilator
a lot of enemies are more easily dispatched with some other beam combination. Bleh. I'm all for difficulty in games if it means thinking things through or having fast reactions, but not when it amounts to endless button mashing while tears of boredom roll down my cheeks.

Top Bottom