• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

scitek

You can save the trilogy file to an SD card. I'd assume that means you could share it. Excitebots was another that was locked to the console and you couldn't even copy that to SD.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm confused on this difficult setting thing...

How many difficulties are there total? I can't recall what was available from the start in the original game, but I know Trilogy offered me the option to select Normal or Veteran. Is not Veteran the same as "hard"?

upandaway

scitek said:
You can save the trilogy file to an SD card. I'd assume that means you could share it. Excitebots was another that was locked to the console and you couldn't even copy that to SD.
Well, that answers that then. Anyone who says he won't get the game because of hard mode is lying to himself.

I guess someone should upload his save once he unlocks the modes to keep some people happy.

Edit: Veteran is 'normal'. 'Normal' is 'easy'. The one you unlock after beating the game once, I assume 'hyper', is 'veteran'/'hard'.

hatchx

Banned
Dacvak said:
I never got into Metroid Prime, honestly. I'm an enormous Metroid fan, but I just couldn't do Prime for some reason. I mean, I've beaten it, but it just didn't seem to fit for me.

I suppose, though, it's time to give it another try. Wish me luck. I want to like this game so much...

Just don't approach it like an FPS. Approach is like an Adventure game set in first-person (with a very, very good storyline if you care to scan for it)

Giolon

dark10x said:
I'm confused on this difficult setting thing...

How many difficulties are there total? I can't recall what was available from the start in the original game, but I know Trilogy offered me the option to select Normal or Veteran. Is not Veteran the same as "hard"?
This has been stated many times throughout the thread. *taking a deep breath* One last time, there are three difficulties, two available from the start:

Normal is the brand new Easy Mode.
Veteran is the old Normal.
Expert is unlocked after beating the game (on either Normal or Veteran) and is the old Hard Mode (which was also unlocked by beating the game).

hatchx said:
Just don't approach it like an FPS. Approach is like an Adventure game set in first-person

This is a great way to put it, and it's true. I've had friends go into it with a FPS mindset come away disappointed, but everyone I know who has gone into the Prime games knowing it's an adventure game first and foremost seems to be engaged by it, myself included.

soldat7

hatchx said:
Just don't approach it like an FPS. Approach is like an Adventure game set in first-person (with a very, very good storyline if you care to scan for it)

I am too OCD about scanning; it's kinda ruining the experience for me. I'm also miffed that 'Normal' is really 'Easy'. I don't really want to start over... :(

Fantastical

Death Prophet
HUELEN10 said:
Just dropping in to say that besides puking puking 3 times so far, this game is fucking amazing! I just got the 1st artifact in Prime 1! :D

I have decided to play all 3 in order, 3 is what I really want to play, but all in good time.
I think you'll be disappointed in 3 if you are expecting it to be the best in series. In my opinion, while it is great, 1 blows it out of the water.

soldat7 said:
I am too OCD about scanning; it's kinda ruining the experience for me. I'm also miffed that 'Normal' is really 'Easy'. I don't really want to start over... :(
I wish scanning wasn't even in the game... not because it is a bad feature, but because it bugs me if I don't scan everything. :lol

I like 1 for different reasons than why I like 3. I love Prime's design and atmosphere; I equally love Corruption's sense of setting and gameplay the most. I'd probably say I liked 3 the most, but only by a very small margin.

MarkusRJR

I was planning the get Metroid Prime Trilogy yesterday (as I never played the first two), but then I thought about how much I disliked Prime 3. So instead I bought a used copy of Metroid Prime for the Gamecube... and holy shit! It's quite possibly one of the best games I've ever played.

Metroid Prime>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Metroid Prime 3

I'm probably gonna buy Metroid Prime Trilogy after I beat the first on Gamecube. :D

wrowa

The scanning was the best part of MP1's experience. Passivly experiencing the story of Talon IV was every single kind of awesome. Everyone who disagrees has simply no taste! ;P

scitek said:
That's because ExciteBots had online play. Almost every game that uses the WFC in some way (even if it is just leaderboards) has a locked save.

Thankfully even locked saves can be copied either with homebrew programs or by disabling the Wii Menu save locking with Preloader hacks, which is how such saves are up for download on Wii Saves and Gamefaqs.

Giolon

A lot of people seem to dislike Prime 3 for trying something different (multiple planets instead of 1 planet). It led to a little bit more disjointed feeling, but I felt that each of the planet areas were of great quality. Some of the stuff like the zip-lines on the sky planet I thought were brilliant.

I did miss that feeling of "whoa! Crateria connects to Maridia? Sweet! And there's a secret passage from Maridia back to northern Brinstar? Get Out!" and going "holy hell, where am I?" whenever I stumbled onto one of those shortcut passages.

If I had to rank the games I'd say MP1 > MP3 >>> MP2. While it has many great moments (its boss fights are some of the best in the series, IMO), the structure of the world is so artificial (central hub w/ 3 spokes) and retraversal/backtracking is such a royal pain in the ass. There's no true short and fast way to get from point A to point B. Everything is up and down and between worlds and filled with obnoxious monsters that make the Chozo Ghosts in the first game seem like mere mosquitos.

Ulairi

Banned
wrowa said:
The scanning was the best part of MP1's experience. Passivly experiencing the story of Talon IV was every single kind of awesome. Everyone who disagrees has simply no taste! ;P

The way the story is presented in Metroid Prime is fantastic. It's up to the player to experience, it reallypushes the isolation that Samus feels, and is game stories should be, active not passive.

farnham

Banned
i think that all three games share the same strong points and the same problems.. you could say 3 is the most cinematic but also the most linear and simplistic and 2 is the most complicated and sophisticated one.. 1 is somewhere in the middle...

i personally think that all three games are pretty much equal in the quality department.. but i hate 2 because of the glitch in the room where you get the screw attack.. had to start over again

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
farnham said:
i personally think that all three games are pretty much equal in the quality department.. but i hate 2 because of the glitch in the room where you get the screw attack.. had to start over again

Never heard of this, I guess I was fortunate enough years ago to not get hit by it. Is it confirmed to be fixed in the Trilogy?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Giolon said:
A lot of people seem to dislike Prime 3 for trying something different (multiple planets instead of 1 planet). It led to a little bit more disjointed feeling, but I felt that each of the planet areas were of great quality. Some of the stuff like the zip-lines on the sky planet I thought were brilliant.
That's not the reason I dislike it (well, I actually really love the game, but not as much as Prime 1) is becuase they took out what made Prime 1 so amazing - isolation. Sure, you are still by yourself for a good portion of the game, but you are also with PEOPLE for some of the time and get radio messages... ugh. I think the beginning of the game is just stupid.

wrowa said:
I'm not arguing that at all... it's simply my OCD that makes it annoying.

EDarkness

Brandon F said:
People citing Prime 3 as superior to 1 are absolutely nuts.

I guess I'm crazy, because I thought Prime 3 was much more fun.

Fantastical said:
That's not the reason I dislike it (well, I actually really love the game, but not as much as Prime 1) is becuase they took out what made Prime 1 so amazing - isolation. Sure, you are still by yourself for a good portion of the game, but you are also with PEOPLE for some of the time and get radio messages... ugh. I think the beginning of the game is just stupid.

I never understood this argument. One of the reasons I didn't like the other Metroid games was because there weren't any other people. It's pretty unrealisitc that as a bounty hunter (and a famous one at that) doesn't interact with anyone. Prime 3 just made more sense to me.

hatchx

Banned
Leondexter said:
I didn't know they'd put the morph ball jump into Prime 1. I jumped by accident last night and it made me jump.

Yeah I was a bit thrown off when I noticed this too. It makes double ball jumps a lot easier.

I've beaten Prime 3 or 4 times already, this time I've turned the Visor Display completely off (I have no clue over my life, missiles, or enemy life) and I havn't scanned dick all.

It's a refreshing way to play it!

soldat7

Fantastical said:
I wish scanning wasn't even in the game... not because it is a bad feature, but because it bugs me if I don't scan everything. :lol

I wish I didn't have to enter into scanning mode to scan. I'm enjoying the content that results from the scans, but I wish there was a more organic way to do it. I'm tired of constantly switching between normal mode and scan mode (I seem to be very OCD about scanning for some reason). It really breaks the flow of the game for me. I'm sure I'll get used to it tough assuming I can overcome my motion sickness.

I'm going crazy waiting for my order. Usually I have no problems with Amazon shipping, but this time around my item is shipping from a facility clear across the country for some inexplicable reason. I'm in San Francisco CA and it's coming from New Castle DE. If I didn't know better I would think they did it for comedic purposes. Better yet they list USPS as the carrier, but Amazon hasn't shown any updates since the shipping date and plugging the tracking # into the post office site doesn't yield any results. When I called them to find out why my tracking number wasn't working they told me that there's some sort of partnership between USPS and Fed Ex, and to try my tracking number with them instead, even though there's no mention of such an arrangement on my order. So I try the Fed Ex site and my package does indeed show up... but only as "initiated", not even picked up, much less shipped. Basically it's not even in transit yet.

All I can say is that they sure as shit better have my poster when the game arrives.

Osuwari

Brandon F said:
Never heard of this, I guess I was fortunate enough years ago to not get hit by it. Is it confirmed to be fixed in the Trilogy?

they fixed a lot of the glitches from the original version.

btw, it's not the game's fault people have OCD. you can get 100% items without scanning a single thing that isn't a switch.

soldat7

Osuwari said:
btw, it's not the game's fault people have OCD. you can get 100% items without scanning a single thing that isn't a switch.

The point is not to get 100% items. The point is to discover the seemingly cool backstory. The concept is great but the actual mechanic is clunky and can be a detriment to pacing.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the 100% rate saved to the file pertains to power ups only. For all 3 games. Also, the tutorial area in MP1 is very scan-heavy. Like, ridiculously so. The rest of the games aren't nearly as... dense. IIRC.

Osuwari

no one has mentioned it here but scans carry over to new games in the same file like in mp3 now. so, people have to scan shit only once.

JSnake said:
I just beat Metroid Prime 2. Still the best Prime IMO. :D
I remember having issues with certain scans resetting their highlight color on the visor after you had already scanned them in Echoes. Did they fix that? I found it pretty obnoxious when trying to 100% the logbook.

JSnake

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I remember having issues with certain scans resetting their highlight color on the visor after you had already scanned them in Echoes. Did they fix that? I found it pretty obnoxious when trying to 100% the logbook.

Never had that problem even on the Gamecube. Sorry.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I 100%'ed all 3 MPs (items and scans) multiple times, and never had any issues with scanning glitches. The only occasional annoyance is the miss-able and/or one-time scans.

Asmodai

Banned
Ulairi said:
The way the story is presented in Metroid Prime is fantastic. It's up to the player to experience, it reallypushes the isolation that Samus feels, and is game stories should be, active not passive.

Most games shouldn't do it the way Metroid Prime did, but for Metroid games, it's perfect. Adding characters, like Metroid Prime 3 tried to do, only shows how weak the game is in that respect when compared to other game narratives.

Scanning it and discovering the story for yourself furthers the sense of atmosphere and isolation that Metroid should have.

Metroid Prime was so much better than its sequels. They're still good games, but they tried to add too much of a conventional plot to them.

BrandNew said:
I like 1 for different reasons than why I like 3. I love Prime's design and atmosphere; I equally love Corruption's sense of setting and gameplay the most. I'd probably say I liked 3 the most, but only by a very small margin.
I prefer 3 due to the pacing. But it's a close race.

rhfb said:
Just got my copy. Holy shit is it heavy :D Love the feel, can't wait to actually finish MP1/2 and get to play 3.

Yeah, it's a great package. This is something I can imagine having in my game collection forever, it's that nice.

Diortem7

farnham said:
That happened to me too, and yet Echoes is still my favorite of the Trilogy.

Mejilan said:
I 100%'ed all 3 MPs (items and scans) multiple times, and never had any issues with scanning glitches. The only occasional annoyance is the miss-able and/or one-time scans.
JSnake said:
Yeah I've gotten 100% a few times
Maybe I'm just crazy. :( It's been a while since I did a play through, but I swear that sometimes scanned enemies would occasionally go from blue back to green for no apparent reason when I was playing.

JSnake

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Maybe I'm just crazy. :( It's been a while since I did a play through, but I swear that sometimes scanned enemies would occasionally go from blue back to green for no apparent reason when I was playing.
Um green means they've been scanned

JSnake

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Other way around then. I just remember the highlight color reverting to the unscanned state in multiple instances.
Maybe they reached different forms. Lots of bosses have multiple scannable forms.

JSnake said:
Maybe they reached different forms. Lots of bosses have multiple scannable forms.
Nah, it was with more common enemies. I know that many of the bosses have multiple forms. I played through the game 2 times after release and noticed it each time, plus on a few random treks I never actually played to completion. I was bummed because I thought the highlight system was a good idea, only it didn't seem to always work consistently once you had already scanned an enemy or object. Like I said, I must be crazy, because no one else seems to have had the same issue.

Chris R

Already done with the Hive Mecha, now the real fun begins :D Been so long since I tried to pick this game back up again it is like my first time all over (here is hoping I can get past the cockblock I ran into before).

Taking just a little bit of time to get used to the controls though, still fiddling around with them.

Top Bottom