• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You sure you aren't talking about upgraded baddy variants that occasionally turn up later in the games (even in previously explored areas)? Those would count as new scans.

OMG Aero

Diortem7 said:
I'm pretty satisfied with the updates Retro put into the game. So far I've noticed that they've added/fixed most of the things I hoping they would:

-enhanced graphic details in the intro sequence
-"recorded to logbook" voice over when scanning (I always though that was neat in Echoes)
-fixed Flaahgraa music glitch

I haven't gotten far enough to see for myself, but if they added Ridley's stomp attack form the other versions I'm going to 100% satisfied.
Wait the American version didn't have that stuff?
It's nice to know we got the better version of a game for once.

Mejilan said:
You sure you aren't talking about upgraded baddy variants that occasionally turn up later in the games (even in previously explored areas)? Those would count as new scans.
Not to my recollection, no. I know you guys are offering all the seemingly logical reasons I might have thought that, but I was aware of all the various factors as I played the game. Like I said, it's been a while since I played so maybe I'm just crazy and remembering it wrong. I'm trying to hold off until I get the trilogy to replay the game, but now I'm almost tempted to play for a while just to see if I can pinpoint it again.

Osuwari

i think every Nintendo-published game has 480p on GC.
even stuff like pokemon box and mario party had it.
the problem was finding the cables.

linkboy

I picked it up today and all I have to say is

Holy Fuck.

Retro managed to make one of my favorite gaming trilogies even better then it already was (there's a reason why they're one of my favorite companies).

After playing Prime 1 with the Wii-mote, there's no way in hell I'm going back to the GC version (actually traded my GC copies in a while ago).

Christine

Osuwari said:
i think every Nintendo-published game has 480p on GC.

Not in EU. This is true for NA though, every Nintendo-published game supports progressive scan. At some point they stopped printing the support icon on the boxes, but the games still support the feature.

I'm envious of all those chaps who're going to experience the complete distilled awesomesauce that is the MP Trilogy. Man that first game was better than sex

Mejilan

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Not to my recollection, no. I know you guys are offering all the seemingly logical reasons I might have thought that, but I was aware of all the various factors as I played the game. Like I said, it's been a while since I played so maybe I'm just crazy and remembering it wrong. I'm trying to hold off until I get the trilogy to replay the game, but now I'm almost tempted to play for a while just to see if I can pinpoint it again.

I'm not one to question your recollection, but I think you might be confused/remembering something wrong. IIRC, the first two MPs didn't allow you to carry over your logbook when you restarted, so I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it if the games fucked up the scan registrations in one of my 4 100% MP1 runs, or 3 100% MP2 runs.

OnPoint

I started Prime on normal not knowing Veteran was the original diffuculty level. Now I have to start all over again. I assume this applies to 3 as well, with Veteran being the original difficulty level?

Christine

OnPoint said:
I started Prime on normal not knowing Veteran was the original diffuculty level. Now I have to start all over again. I assume this applies to 3 as well, with Veteran being the original difficulty level?

Corruption had 3 difficulty levels to begin with, Normal and Veteran both available at the start. The other two got changed to match its distribution.

OnPoint

TwinIonEngines said:
Corruption had 3 difficulty levels to begin with, Normal and Veteran both available at the start. The other two got changed to match its distribution.

OK cool. I'll go with veteran on that then as well.

was there any speculation regarding the master sword and hylian shield on the walls of Retro Studios shown in the IGN tour? And I think they showed it as whoever was talking at the moment was talking about how they're handling their next project

Anasui Kishibe said:
nothing new, besides Retro are huge Zelda fans. Aonuma is developing the new Zeldas anyways
I know but it's fun to speculate

on topic: my copy is stuck in international shipping limbo, but is there a way to download a save file that'll let me start on Hard? I suppose there might be one by the time I get mine, but some games didn't recognize saves on my sd card

ciD_Vain

the multiplayer in Prime 2: Echoes is way more fun to play with the wiimote nunchuck combo. I played with my cousin for an hour straight.

scitek

Well that fucking sucks, the first two games apparently don't support 480p. The Japanese version of the first one does, so I wonder what happened during the process here. There will probably be an exchange program set up for those who want their discs replaced, I'd imagine. It looks like shit on my HDTV, though. Looks like I'm playing through the first two on SD set for now.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
scitek said:
Well that fucking sucks, the first two games apparently don't support 480p. The Japanese version of the first one does, so I wonder what happened during the process here. There will probably be an exchange program set up for those who want their discs replaced, I'd imagine. It looks like shit on my HDTV, though. Looks like I'm playing through the first two on SD set for now.

Wait what?

Hmm I should cancel my order then as I won't be able to return it.

TheExodu5

Banned
scitek said:

I'm pretty positive my Wii was outputting in 480p while playing MP.

Mejilan

What? Even the original GCN versions (US) supported 480p. I can't imagine they would take that out for the Wii versions...

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
scitek said:
Mine plays MP3 in 480p but 1 and 2 go straight to 480i.

Haven't tried 2 but on our big TV my savegame from earlier today just loaded up MP1 and I checked, 16:9 480p.

I'll check MP2 in a few minutes, kinda busy right now.

Toshiba 37" LCD, btw.

Edit : Checked, MP2 also runs 16:9 480p, it's gotta be something on your end. :eek:

Giolon

This is a question for those of you who have beaten MP1 on the trilogy disc.

So since everything else is behaving like MP3, I wanted to ask this. Is there a save prompt after you finish Metroid Prime 1, and if so, does choosing to save cause your game to be forced back to the beginning as it did in Metroid Prime 3? If there is a save, and I choose not to save because the previous question is true, will 100% completion still be recorded to my file?

scitek

vanguardian1 said:
Haven't tried 2 but on our big TV my savegame from earlier today just loaded up MP1 and I checked, 16:9 480p.

I'll check MP2 in a few minutes, kinda busy right now.

Toshiba 37" LCD, btw.

Edit : Checked, MP2 also runs 16:9 480p, it's gotta be something on your end. :eek:
Alright, thanks for checking. I'll get it worked out.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So uh, is it just me, or do we not have the original title screens in this package? I really wish they would have found a way to incorporate them, seeing as they're some of the best title screens in all of gaming. =/

Giolon

ZealousD said:
So uh, is it just me, or do we not have the original title screens in this package? I really wish they would have found a way to incorporate them, seeing as they're some of the best title screens in all of gaming. =/

Nope, we don't, but thankfully, the musical themes from them are available in the soundtrack unlocks. :)

OnPoint

ZealousD said:

I guess that's the benefit of owning all three already, at least for those of us who still do.

ZealousD said:
This is most unfortunate. I still remember booting up Metroid Prime for the first time, right after coming home with a Gamecube back in late 2002. Blew my 14 year old mind at the time. Probably the best start to any console I've ever had. Ah nostalgia.

Osuwari

Giolon said:
This is a question for those of you who have beaten MP1 on the trilogy disc.

So since everything else is behaving like MP3, I wanted to ask this. Is there a save prompt after you finish Metroid Prime 1, and if so, does choosing to save cause your game to be forced back to the beginning as it did in Metroid Prime 3? If there is a save, and I choose not to save because the previous question is true, will 100% completion still be recorded to my file?

if you select yes, the file starts over and carries over all your scans to the new game.
basically, identical to mp3's system.

I just realized to my horror that my purchase of this game as well as 4 college textbooks have all been shipped to my old address. Man i feel like an idiot. I just sent all the sellers emails and i hope to god they are all cooperative. Besides the fear of wasting hundreds of dollars on books that might get lost, im really sad that i wont be able to play this game for alot longer. I'll have to wait till it gets to the wrong address, then wait for it to get back to amazon, then get my refund. Im strapped for cash so i have no choice but to wait. : (

Giolon

Osuwari said:
if you select yes, the file starts over and carries over all your scans to the new game.
basically, identical to mp3's system.

Fuck fuck fuck I hate that. One more question: if you say NO, does it still give you your credit for beating the game/getting 100% scans for unlocking things?

Just beat the Omega pirate. Holy shit, what an intense fight. Got my first gameover at this part (finally). Metroid Prime boss battles are always so epic.

I have a question about hunting down remaining powerups...is there any way to tell where the ones you are missing are? I know they make a noise when you're nearby, but do I have any other way to tell where stuff is without performing a sweep of the entire map? Or is GameFAQs my only hope?

Giolon

autobzooty said:
Just beat the Omega pirate. Holy shit, what an intense fight. Got my first gameover at this part (finally). Metroid Prime boss battles are always so epic.

I have a question about hunting down remaining powerups...is there any way to tell where the ones you are missing are? I know they make a noise when you're nearby, but do I have any other way to tell where stuff is without performing a sweep of the entire map? Or is GameFAQs my only hope?

In Metroid Prime 1 and 2, the sound is your only in-game help. MP3 features an in game mechanism to help you out...once you discover it. :)

upandaway

autobzooty said:

Wait, what? They make noise?

I never noticed that. Now I have to think about all the SFX I probably missed playing the games.
I'm damn glad I got my RS130's, now I'll be able to hear stuff better.

Regarding the hunting down items, I remember the first time I couldn't find all the items, what I did was go watch a 100% speedrun, and I saw the last 3 there. It takes much less time than reading through an FAQ (could take upwards DAYS, trying to remember what you got and what you didn't get), and it's also really fun to watch. Even if Prime has much less "lol random missile at the most random place ever", it still has... 2, I think, that without the noise, you just can't discover on your own.
After getting 100% once, I never needed to check through again. It's definitely a one-time thing.

Gwanatu T

upandaway said:
Wait, what? They make noise?

I never noticed that. Now I have to think about all the SFX I probably missed playing the games.
I'm damn glad I got my RS130's, now I'll be able to hear stuff better.

Yeah it's the sound I would imagine a glowing object makes. You know it when you're in the same room and relatively close to one. It drives me crazy sometimes because it's pretty clear that it's right next to you, but sometimes it's not so obvious where they hide it.

Anyway, this package is just incredible, absolute fan service here. The Prime Trilogy in general is easily on my list of best games ever, and it's incredible to be able to play through the first 2 with this new control; it seriously changes the entire games and how they are played. I'm honestly disappointed that there's not a higher difficulty than veteran when you start. I wonder, if I have my GC memory cards with my 100% MP1 and 2 save files on them in the Wii while I play this, will it do anything?

Spocker

Just got a reply from the Swedish distributor, Bergsala.

There will be no tin case for the European version, it will instead come in a standard plastic case with an embossed slipcase. The Art folder is included, just like in america.

Shiggy

Spocker said:

There will be no tin case for the European version, it will instead come in a standard plastic case with an embossed slipcase. The Art folder is included, just like in america.

So just as expected, Wii Music-like package :(

Desiato

Spocker said:

Goddammit.

The Hermit

Anasui Kishibe said:
I'm envious of all those chaps who're going to experience the complete distilled awesomesauce that is the MP Trilogy. Man that first game was better than sex

Not better, but much longer. Prime is in my top 3 games, and replaying it and noticing some details I looked over is ridiculously good.
Finally I heard the whole Flaaghra theme in game. Awesome! :D

here´s my LTTP thread about MP 1 and 2:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183505

TwinIonEngines said:
Not in EU. This is true for NA though, every Nintendo-published game supports progressive scan. At some point they stopped printing the support icon on the boxes, but the games still support the feature.

Except for Wario Ware. The Gamecube version of Wario Ware didn't support 480p for some reason. I remember at the time it made me worry they were dropping 480p support, but later games still supported it.

dyls

Sitting here right now I just realized that I died fighting Flagraah once and I'm almost positive I didn't scan him the second time I fought him and won. Fuck. Looks like no 100% for me unless I want to start over.

I guess I could probably get back to my current state in under an hour. Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure this is exactly what happened to me the first time I played the game.

Sagitario

Question for the people playing it:

- Do the games fill the screen completely [full 640x480 (either 16:9 or 4:3) resolution like Galaxy, Pikmin or Wario Land] or do they have black bars on the sides [overscan area like Okami, de Blob, Tales]?

andthebeatgoeson

Is this where we are doing the friend code exchange? I got in kinda late after people blew through MP3 and missed out.

2497 6688 8760 3013 - Skinny

Be a friend. Send me something.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Farore said:
Question for the people playing it:

- Do the games fill the screen completely [full 640x480 (either 16:9 or 4:3) resolution like Galaxy, Pikmin or Wario Land] or do they have black bars on the sides [overscan area like Okami, de Blob, Tales]?

Looks like it fills the screen to me.

Blizzard

Banned
I forgot this trilogy was coming out. Since I never played the originals, I might get this even though I haven't even finished MP3 yet.

Top Bottom