• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

kiryogi

Banned
Koodo said:
100% completed Prime 2. Now I started with Corruption, and uh, I need vouchers! I want to trade with my fellow Gaffers. :)

I'd love some too! Tho how do you go about it? Do you find them or just send any time? Still in the middle of Prime 2 though.

Prime Blue said:
I've heard quite the contrary, that all of the effects (Power/Wave/Ice Beam and water ripples) are missing in the PAL version, too.

For all who still don't know what is being talked about here, watch this video (recorded from the PAL GC version).

There's a user who already said he has the game and they're there...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I've got to say... one of the coolest things to me in a video game is the transition from morph ball to regular Samus. It just looks so cool when she comes out of a little ball and starts running again as she is transforming. :D

scitek

Fantastical said:
Several of the graphical details that were found in the first two games are missing in the trilogy. For example, you could see bones in Samus's arm when she brings it into view (when you are using x-ray visor), which you can no longer see. Also, there isn't a ripple effect on the water anymore and there isn't any ice on the ice beam when you fire it and the arm cannon no longer smokes when you fire it rapidly.

As the poster above me said... it's really not a big deal. It was just that Retro really took into account these small details that did add to the game.

North America does because of the tin case and we got some preorder bonuses... but of course that no longer applies. The games are exactly the same, though, as far as I know.

Are you sure that was in the first game? 'Cause I'm pretty sure the third game was the first time I ever saw that effect.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
scitek said:
Are you sure that was in the first game? 'Cause I'm pretty sure the third game was the first time I ever saw that effect.

I am 100% positive that was in the first game.

soldat7

Prime Blue said:
I've heard quite the contrary, that all of the effects (Power/Wave/Ice Beam and water ripples) are missing in the PAL version, too.

For all who still don't know what is being talked about here, watch this video (recorded from the PAL GC version).

It's a shame that the gun effects were removed but I have to say lol at those water effects.

scitek

EatChildren said:
I am 100% positive that was in the first game.

You mean when she brings her left arm into view? I'm thinking of the third game where you can see her hand through the cannon pulling the trigger when you fire.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
scitek said:
You mean when she brings her left arm into view? I'm thinking of the third game where you can see her hand through the cannon pulling the trigger when you fire.

What do you guys mean by her arm coming into view? I'm a bit confused :S. What I do know for sure is that when the X-Ray visor was equipped in Prime you could see her bones in the arm cannon, and her fingers would change based on the energy type selected.

Koodo

Banned
kiryogi said:
I'd love some too! Tho how do you go about it? Do you find them or just send any time? Still in the middle of Prime 2 though.
You can only get them in Corruption and they only work for that game's extra content. You get a voucher for doing 'special' stuff, I think? Like getting 20 hits in that can-shooting minigame or by saving some soldiers in the ensuing attack, etc etc.

By the way, the humans in Corruption look really bad. I mean, I've already played this game before so I was expecting it, but they're really just so awful. :lol

scitek

EatChildren said:
What do you guys mean by her arm coming into view? I'm a bit confused :S. What I do know for sure is that when the X-Ray visor was equipped in Prime you could see her bones in the arm cannon, and her fingers would change based on the energy type selected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP6o6oXNFEI

6:00 I see her hand, but no bones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej_30tJKN9U

00:30 This one's Prime 3. What I was thinking of.

EDIT: Correction. You see the bones in her left hand on the Gamecube version when she brings it up after being hit.

Varna

EatChildren said:

When you are shooting in an idle position for a while Samus will grip the arm cannon with her left hand sometimes. Also if you get struck by a large enemy that stuns you for a second she seems to shield her face with her left hand as well.

I don't know about the rest of the effects, but seeing her bones is definitely in the trilogy. I know this because while I was playing it I remember thinking what a great effect that was.

Osuwari

Fantastical said:
North America does because of the tin case and we got some preorder bonuses... but of course that no longer applies. The games are exactly the same, though, as far as I know.

corrections: the jp version has better speed running potential because they fixed 2 big sequence breaks in the trilogy version of mp1.

outside that, they're identical. so, if you don't do speed runs/sequence breaking, you won't notice anything.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Varna said:
I don't know about the rest of the effects, but seeing her bones is definitely in the trilogy. I know this because while I was playing it I remember thinking what a great effect that was.
Cool! I thought it was weird that it wasn't in there since it involves her left hand, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Good to hear.

JRW

Prime Blue said:

So just to clarify (cause im not 100% here), Both the NTSC & PAL Wii versions of MP Trilogy are missing the effects shown in this video? (clicking link doesn't work I had to right click / Save Target As to view the video).

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
=|

Hitting parts in Echoes that reminded me of why I gave up on the game the first time around. The pacing is just off from Prime 1, it's sometimes such a slog traversing the enormous worlds (bigger REALLY is not always better), and there are so many things that can't be accessed the first time around that I get overwhelmed trying to keep tabs on areas to revisit like I do with SM and Prime. That being said, I really appreciate the stunning job Retro created with Aether. I feel like that Echoes is REALLY their game, as they didn't have the nostalgic restrictions they had with the first game. The texture work and the little details and touches are absolutely insane.

legend166

What's this about the PAL Trilogy being superior? I was going to import the US copy, but if the PAL version is superior I can wait till it comes out here. I've got other games to keep me busy.

Nemesis_

legend166 said:
What's this about the PAL Trilogy being superior? I was going to import the US copy, but if the PAL version is superior I can wait till it comes out here. I've got other games to keep me busy.

Alledgedly the PAL version has the smaller visual effects incorporated. One of the ones I can think of right now is when Samus aims while charging the Ice Beam, her arm cannon kinda freezes over.

Oh, and the steam coming from the cannon after heavy periods of use.

Koodo

Banned
BorkBork said:
=|

Hitting parts in Echoes that reminded me of why I gave up on the game the first time around. The pacing is just off from Prime 1, it's sometimes such a slog traversing the enormous worlds (bigger REALLY is not always better), and there are so many things that can't be accessed the first time around that I get overwhelmed trying to keep tabs on areas to revisit like I do with SM and Prime. That being said, I really appreciate the stunning job Retro created with Aether. I feel like that Echoes is REALLY their game, as they didn't have the nostalgic restrictions they had with the first game. The texture work and the little details and touches are absolutely insane.
I love Echoes, but I really noticed the pacing problems this time around, probably because I played it immediately after Prime 1. Some of the later treks felt unnecessarily long (Power Bomb, I'm looking at you).

The game does look absolutely incredible though. Barring the creatures and enemies, it could totally pass as a recent release (and I can't believe it got flack back in the day for being similar to its predecessor, smh).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Echoes said:
From my twitter account:

Listening to MM's Varia Suit. Such a fantastic album. I'm gonna gift it to whoever finish Metroid Prime. Take a pic > tweet me :)

So in this case, finish the game, quote my post with the ending screen, and I'll gift you the album :D I'll try gifting more than one.

24b9t7a.jpg

(Trying to do a screen capture with Vista was harder than I thought... but, using the game's screen capture tool, a USB Gamebridge, and DScaler, I managed to work it out.)

legend166

DavidDayton said:
24b9t7a.jpg

(Trying to do a screen capture with Vista was harder than I thought... but, using the game's screen capture tool, a USB Gamebridge, and DScaler, I managed to work it out.)

You should have just taken a photo of the TV screen :p

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Koodo said:
I love Echoes, but I really noticed the pacing problems this time around, probably because I played it immediately after Prime 1. Some of the later treks felt unnecessarily long (Power Bomb, I'm looking at you).

The game does look absolutely incredible though. Barring the creatures and enemies, it could totally pass as a recent release (and I can't believe it got flack back in the day for being similar to its predecessor, smh).

Yeah I remembered this being sort of overlooked by me in 2004. Pikmin 2 was my Cube game in that time period, coupled with Paper Mario 2. I don't really think I gave it a fair shake given the pacing issues.

Just hit Sanctuary, been going pretty much full tilt at this today. I LOVE the virus attack where you have to reboot your suit. It's hilarious. :lol

Bluemercury said:
There's a user who already said he has the game and they're there...
Yeah, and several users on German message boards reported that they are all gone.

EDIT: Also, I can confirm that the FMVs in MP2 are the same files as in the GC version.

legend166 said:

The PAL version is out. It was released two days ago.

sjt333

Anyone else annoyed with most of the enemies in Corruption having a hypermode?
Ben2749 said:
The PAL version is out. It was released two days ago.
Not here it wasn't, we have to wait until October.

Quick Q: do the controls in 1&2 require you to move the nunchuk independantly from the Wiimote?

I've got a problem with my left hand where I can't both hold the nunchuk and operate it. I have to snap the mote and chuk together with an elastic band, allowing my good right hand to hold them both. This works for stuff like Resi 4 and SMG, but not things like Boxing and Samba...

Gestahl

So I'm looking at Amazon and it says Metroid Prime Trilogy Collector's Edition, and I am wondering what is so collector's editiony about this product because they failed to mention that. I already have all three games.

Culex

Banned
Gestahl said:
So I'm looking at Amazon and it says Metroid Prime Trilogy Collector's Edition, and I am wondering what is so collector's editiony about this product because they failed to mention that. I already have all three games.

...because it's all 3 games on one disc, with artwork, a nice metallic case, and the Wii control scheme incorporated into Prime 1 and 2.

Last night I was reading this thread and about the missing effects which the PAL version had, while I agree somewhat that it does not effect gameplay, the effects helped so much give a lovely feeling to the world. Look up in the rain and get splats over your visor, leave water and watch it pour off you, shoot loads and you know you're giving it your all when the gun shows heat, the ice effect lets you know you are seriously shooting something cold etc.

In that case it's a real shame the collection does not have all these effects, they made prime 1 what it was to me.

If you had never experienced these extra effects, you are missing out :(

Prime Blue said:
Yeah, and several users on German message boards reported that they are all gone.

EDIT: Also, I can confirm that the FMVs in MP2 are the same files as in the GC version.

It was Nintex who said they were there, i assume he has the game.

upandaway

Tranced Shadow said:
Quick Q: do the controls in 1&2 require you to move the nunchuk independantly from the Wiimote?

I've got a problem with my left hand where I can't both hold the nunchuk and operate it. I have to snap the mote and chuk together with an elastic band, allowing my good right hand to hold them both. This works for stuff like Resi 4 and SMG, but not things like Boxing and Samba...
You need to shake the Nunchuck in Prime 3.

You don't need to do it in 1 and 2, but during gameplay you will have to use all buttons as quickly and effortlessly as possible. Deduce out of that what you will, since I don't know the details.

OMG Aero

DavidDayton said:
24b9t7a.jpg

Wait what, was this screen added in the Trilogy? I don't remember the awful picture of Samus when I completed Prime 1 originally.

Also someone really needs to get all the information on the visual effects and put it in the first post so every page stops turning into a discussion of them.

Gestahl

Culex said:
...because it's all 3 games on one disc, with artwork, a nice metallic case, and the Wii control scheme incorporated into Prime 1 and 2.

So it's just a slip of a pretty picture and a tin case then? Thanks for the help.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Picked this up last tuesday (FutureShop gave me 20 for Corruption, and I got 10$ off the Trilogy with the trade-in! Woo!) and finally got around to playing it. Wow, the control makes a hell of a difference. I don't give a rat's ass about missing effect, playing it with the Wiimote is simply magical. I remember having to memorize the environment because turning slowed you down horribly during a speed run. No more! I can actually enjoy the environment and not sidestep through the entire game.

Love it. Stuff it about the effects.

Bluemercury said:
It was Nintex who said they were there, i assume he has the game.
Read the post again and realize that Nintex didn't even mention the weapon effects. Also, the water splashes are not debated, the 3D ripples after the splash are.

EatChildren

OMG Aero said:
Wait what, was this screen added in the Trilogy? I don't remember the awful picture of Samus when I completed Prime 1 originally.

It was there.

Culex

Banned
Gestahl said:
So it's just a slip of a pretty picture and a tin case then? Thanks for the help.

Nope, and it was full widescreen for the first two prime games, and added achievements.

Not to mention you can pick it up for 45 bucks!

but i guess you're just determined to hate this game so don't bother to respond.

RedShift said:
Not even worth the DVD I burned it onto.
Is piracy allowed in this forum?

Anyway... Shame on you, you sad, sad man. Feel my pity. (you wanted pity, right? barging into the thread of 3 awesome games packaged in a nice case only to say they weren't worth your DVD-R's? some attention whore you are)

upandaway

lostinblue said:
Is piracy allowed in this forum?

Anyway... Shame on you, you sad, sad man. Feel my pity. (you wanted pity, right? barging into the thread of 3 awesome games packaged in a nice case only to say they weren't worth your DVD-R's? some attention whore you are)
You mean DVD-R DL, right? They're a bit more expensive.

Not saying I disagree but y'know, details.

Culex

Banned
Back on topic, the metal case is really NICE, awesome quality. I like how Retro/Nintendo even included a plastic sleeve for it.

Echoes

DavidDayton said:
http://i26.tinypic.com/24b9t7a.jpg[IMG]

(Trying to do a screen capture with Vista was harder than I thought... but, using the game's screen capture tool, a USB Gamebridge, and DScaler, I managed to work it out.)[/QUOTE]
Splendid!

Check your PM ;-)

Gestahl

Culex said:
Nope, and it was full widescreen for the first two prime games, and added achievements.

Not to mention you can pick it up for 45 bucks!

but i guess you're just determined to hate this game so don't bother to respond.

I'm talking about what makes it a worthwhile COLLECTOR'S EDITION you babbling ninnies.

Ronabo

I never could play the first one because of the controls. I really wanted too, cause I love Metroid games. When I get a Wii this will be one of the first games I get for it.

Top Bottom