• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

JaseMath

I know some of you are passing on this because of the visual omissions from the GCN version of MP1 (like me), but RETHINK YOUR STANCE! I was in the same boat but Jesus, playing MP1 with Wii controls is the OMG second coming.

CoolS

JasonMCG said:
I know some of you are passing on this because of the visual omissions from the GCN version of MP1 (like me), but RETHINK YOUR STANCE! I was in the same boat but Jesus, playing MP1 with Wii controls is the OMG second coming.

This x 1000. I can't emagine playing these games with GCN controls after I played this for over 20 hours now. especially some parts in Echoes seem like they would be a real pain with the old controls.

Tab0203

soldat7 said:
The Wii controls destroy the GC controls.
VerTiGo said:
Honestly, this is the best time I've had with the game as well, much improved over the original GC release. The controls make a huge difference in fun factor.
Brandon F said:
It's really funny how much criticism MP1 got on this forum during its launch. Most of it directed at the scanning, but just as much at the control scheme. I didn't mind it at the time, but having re-experienced MP1 now with true WASD-esque strafing and aiming, it's such a fucking delight.
MP1 with Wii controls is heaven. Feels so natural, too. I like how easy it is to wave your pointer around the room like a flashlight to pick up on where scans are now, too... makes it a little less laborious.
Cygnus X-1 said:
1) I will never play it with a classic controller again.
BorkBork said:
Obviously the first person controls is great, ...
JasonMCG said:
playing MP1 with Wii controls is the OMG second coming.
CoolS said:
This x 1000. I can't emagine playing these games with GCN controls after I played this for over 20 hours now. especially some parts in Echoes seem like they would be a real pain with the old controls.

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/7AA279BE-4865-4C3A-B0D7-3F27B6785E4A.htm
However, Corruption’s greatest contribution to the series is its Wii-specific control scheme. The first two titles received a lot of complaints about how they gave players only one analog stick with which to move and look around. Corruption fixes this by letting players aim with the Wii Remote in a much more natural way that few Wii shooters have been able to emulate. The addition of this control system for the first two titles makes me wish I could go back in time and experience them for the first time all over again.

Second opinion:

Aiming and panning your view with the remote is inferior in every way to the traditional scheme from the GameCube titles. Since there is no way to play with a classic or GameCube controller, you’re stuck playing good last-gen games with a gimpy waggle interface.
What a difference. The second opinion guy never even gave it a chance.

"Aiming and panning inferior in every way" and "gimpy"?!

Is he talking about dual analog or Red Steel?

Remember the first time trying to point at the screen? It's a new control scheme, and there is a learning curve. Most people still don't know how to use analog sticks. Even with auto/sticky aim.

Smelly Tramp said:
Thoughts at first: Controls feel weird and distant, graphics are hard to make out on my sdtv, controls are awkward and i keep messing up the platforming, layout is incredibly confusing.

Thoughts 4 hours later: Controls are perfect, everything has been recorded to muscle memory for me now and it just flows beautifully.

What astonishes me when replaying the games is what a wonderfully elegant way of selecting visors/weapons Retro came up with, especially when it could have been an absolute clusterfuck in the hands of a dev who tried to shoehorn everything onto buttons alone.

I can run, space jump, switch to scan visor and scan a portal switch before landing just with a couple of buttons and a wave of a cursor - and it feels bloody fantastic.

The Hermit

Osuwari said:
wat

charged dark beam + missile doesn't mean the missile combo. it means shoot a charged dark beam shot and then missile the thing when it gets frozen.
if i meant the charge combo, i would have said "darburst" but that shit sucks because it eats your ammo like mad.

Sry, you are right. Screw Attack is the real answer though. :D

Now whats the best way to kill the Dark Commander Pirates ? I hate those guys...

bob_arctor said:
Question: Are the upgrades to the Dark and Light Beams optional? Can you miss them entirely?

nope, they are like missile expansions.

GAHHH. I'm one step away from the boss and hit an item collection wall. My counter is stuck at 96%, the same when i played the game 2 years ago, and i cant find a single item i havent already collected in the map screen and on the valhalla. What did i miss? Does the Skytown scan not show everything?

CoolS

Gamer @ Heart said:
GAHHH. I'm one step away from the boss and hit an item collection wall. My counter is stuck at 96%, the same when i played the game 2 years ago, and i cant find a single item i havent already collected in the map screen and on the valhalla. What did i miss? Does the Skytown scan not show everything?

You might want to check out that hidden ice world. As far as I remember, items there don't show up.

Osuwari

Baiano19 said:
Sry, you are right. Screw Attack is the real answer though. :D

Now whats the best way to kill the Dark Commander Pirates ? I hate those guys...

here's how you kill them easily. i bet you'll shit bricks when you read it:

charged dark beam shot and then missile.

seriously. they die in 1 missile shot when you freeze them. my jaw dropped to the floor the first time i did that because i found it unbelievable given that they're dark creatures and all.

the dark beam is really overpowered in this game. it is the plasma of mp2. in mp1, ice beam wasn't the ultimate beam because it was slow as fuck but in mp2 the dark beam is quite quick and has the deadly freeze + missile combo. there's also the fact the dark beam rips apart dark samus 2 so badly it hurts to the gamer.

also, the screw attack makes the emperor ing 3 a 10 second boss in the gc version but they removed the glitch in the wii version.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Bah. I think I missed the Ing Webbing tech scan.

MP2 is okay, but the fetch quest at the end is FAR worse than in MP1. Unless I'm missing something, the clues seem incredibly obtuse in comparison to those in MP1.

CoolS

Gamer @ Heart said:
Is it on bryyo? How many items could possibly be there though? Any other places?
As far as I remeber, yes. There are at least two, maybe three. Keep in mind that the last expansion conts 2 %

Red Scarlet

I forget what visual hints there are, like if there's always a dead Luminoth in the room or what, but I think you can see the Ing Cache in the light world, too. Plus there is a same # of keys in each area
3 in dark temple grounds, and 2 in dark agon/torvus/sanctuary fortress

Davey Cakes

Gamer @ Heart said:
Is it on bryyo? How many items could possibly be there though? Any other places?
Believe me, on my last 100% playthrough I was struggling to think of what item I hadn't found. I checked my map, and couldn't see anything I'd missed.

But when I realized that Bryyo Ice was an area that didn't show up on the map, it hit me that there could be items there that I'd missed. Lo and behold, I was right.

soldat7

Finally beat Prime last night. A mediocre 82% in just over 21 hours. I have to say I really loved the game overall, but wasn't fond of the last 2 hours or so. And where's my payoff? I wanted a better ending than the one I got; off to youtube to search for a 'true' ending. ;)

Can't wait to play the next two games, though. Retro has done amazing things with the Metroid franchise.

Edit: Ah, I figured as much:
Dark Samus

I would get this, but I already had my epic Metroid experience. I played MP1 for the first time and beat it, then immediately played MP2 for the first time and beat it, then bought MP3 on Day 1 and beat that.

It was fucking incredible.

Osuwari

CoolS said:
As far as I remeber, yes. There are at least two, maybe three. Keep in mind that the last expansion conts 2 %

this is only true in mp1. in mp2 and mp3, there's 100 pickups.

the bryyo ice area has the screw attack, a ship missile and an energy tank.

soldat7 said:
I wanted a better ending than the one I got; off to youtube to search for a 'true' ending. ;)
Yeah, youtube is a godsend cure for the retarded "true ending" disease developers tend to get.

When I dump 20+ hours into a story, I like to see a proper conclusion. It boils my blood when a game basically tells me "you mean to say you didn't do everything perfect 100% your first time through? Then go back and try all over again if you want to see the end".

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DavidDayton said:
MP2 is okay, but the fetch quest at the end is FAR worse than in MP1. Unless I'm missing something, the clues seem incredibly obtuse in comparison to those in MP1.

The keys are always found in the dark world versions of the rooms where you find the "glowing" dead luminoth. If you scan these luminoth as you play through the game you'll have all your clues before you even have the light suit. There's 2 keys in each of the 3 sub areas and 3 in the temple grounds.

A little harder to figure out but not that obtuse.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ZealousD said:
The keys are always found in the dark world versions of the rooms where you find the "glowing" dead luminoth. If you scan these luminoth as you play through the game you'll have all your clues before you even have the light suit. There's 2 keys in each of the 3 sub areas and 3 in the temple grounds.

A little harder to figure out but not that obtuse.

The clues are obtuse. MP was far more specific with the hints. I'm having a hard time "getting" the connections between the MP2 hints and the actual rooms. I'm probably missing something, but I'm not seeing exactly how you go from the list of hints at the Sky Temple Entrance to any real idea of where each Sky Temple Key room is located.

(I just got a list of the rooms and got there that way. Cheating, I suppose, but I didn't feel like going in and out of MP2's lousy menu system endlessly while trying to figure out which "clue" matched which thingie.)

The Hermit

Osuwari said:
here's how you kill them easily. i bet you'll shit bricks when you read it:

charged dark beam shot and then missile.

seriously. they die in 1 missile shot when you freeze them. my jaw dropped to the floor the first time i did that because i found it unbelievable given that they're dark creatures and all.

the dark beam is really overpowered in this game. it is the plasma of mp2. in mp1, ice beam wasn't the ultimate beam because it was slow as fuck but in mp2 the dark beam is quite quick and has the deadly freeze + missile combo. there's also the fact the dark beam rips apart dark samus 2 so badly it hurts to the gamer.

also, the screw attack makes the emperor ing 3 a 10 second boss in the gc version but they removed the glitch in the wii version.

:lol :lol :lol

no way! I should have used that beam more... also didn´t knew about the Dark Samus trick. I did knew about the Ing glitch though...

DavidDayton said:
The clues are obtuse. MP was far more specific with the hints. I'm having a hard time "getting" the connections between the MP2 hints and the actual rooms. I'm probably missing something, but I'm not seeing exactly how you go from the list of hints at the Sky Temple Entrance to any real idea of where each Sky Temple Key room is located.

(I just got a list of the rooms and got there that way. Cheating, I suppose, but I didn't feel like going in and out of MP2's lousy menu system endlessly while trying to figure out which "clue" matched which thingie.)

Another of the many stupid things about Mp2 is that there are clues for the fucking clues (ie the dead Luminoth keybearers). Also the room is in the light world, but the key is in the dark world. Quite stupid too...

I've died three times on Emperor Ing now in his final form and it's getting really frustrating, I'm thinking it's destined that I'll never complete this game. :lol (I made two serious attempts on the Gamecube, the first time I never got past the Boost Guardian and the second time I gave up after finding out about all the Sky Temple Keys.

Chris FOM

The Annihilator beam shreds the final form. On Veteran mode, a well-timed Super Missile causes the Emperor to switch to a vulnerable form, then the Annihilator beam will damage him whether he's vulnerable to dark or light, has a high rate of fire, at the shots automatically home in on the weak spot. The game also spawns enough ammo to keep you in business as well. Even on Hyper it's not that much tougher although ammo becomes harder to come by.

CraigMcD said:
Is anyone up for trading friend vouchers? I've got all 26 and a UK/PAL copy of the game.

Yeah, I'd be up for that, but you'd have to wait for me to polish off Echoes (just 2 missile expansions and a beam expansion from completion) and start a playthrough of Corruption. If that's cool, PM me.

frogg609

so am I correct in that getting the special endings you only need to get 100% items (tanks, missiles, suits, etc), and that scans don't matter?

If that's true, what do scans get you?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Screw Attack Get!! Prime 2 is sick sci-fi epicness enshrouded in darkness and despair. This and Ninja Gaiden 2 are complete throwbacks in their hardcoreness.

Osuwari

frogg609 said:
so am I correct in that getting the special endings you only need to get 100% items (tanks, missiles, suits, etc), and that scans don't matter?

If that's true, what do scans get you?

scans get you art galleries for all 3 games (only opens them for purchase in the trilogy) and some gray tokens in mp1.

Sagitario

I posted this in the Homebrew thread but maybe I could get some help here too:

Farore said:
Quick question: has anyone tried to apply cheats in Metroid Prime Trilogy?

I downloaded the TXT file with the codes, made the GCT file, loaded the disc with Gecko (it said "Applying cheats")...

But when I started playing, the cheat was not working...

The cheat was for Prime II: infinite dark/light ammo (it's supposedly activated with C+Z+2)...

This is why I love Metroid: the pacing. Oh the pacing.

Playing MP2,
in Agon Wastes. I enter an area, whip out the Scan Visor, and the first item is a... Space Pirate Crate. Totally expecting an ambush, I walk further in, cut scene plays, Space Pirate music starts thumping, and the next second I'm locking, dashing, and thumbing the Scan Visor again to get a Scan before I blast them to oblivion. What a rush.

Osuwari

Farore said:
I posted this in the Homebrew thread but maybe I could get some help here too:

oh, come on. it's not that hard. just learn how to refill quickly your ammo (hint: shoot crates/pods/whatever with the opposite beam of the one you want more ammo)

After another 2 attempts, I finally beat Metroid Prime 2. That game has haunted me since release, feels good to finally complete it :D

Started up Metroid Prime 3, but I might take a break before investing serious time. I can't believe it's already been 2 years since the game came out, seems like I played it not that long ago.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is amazing. I just finished MP3 for the first time, and it's definitely my favourite Prime game. Then 1, then 2.

Also, kinda off-topic, I sent my brother a message on my iPhone saying I was playing Metroid, except it sent as "I'm playing Negroid." Love that iPhone spellcheck.

Sagitario

Osuwari said:
oh, come on. it's not that hard. just learn how to refill quickly your ammo (hint: shoot crates/pods/whatever with the opposite beam of the one you want more ammo)

It's not about being hard and I've already finished MP2 several times...

I'm planning to do a Dark Beam "only" run (and also a Light Beam too) without having to worry about ammo... plus, using some cheats after finishing games can be fun...

So, anyone with the HBC would be so nice to verify if the codes for MPT work? Please...

soldat7

I'm not liking Echoes nearly as much as Prime. The game seems more confusing somehow, there's more worthless scanning (and maybe more worthwhile scanning), and I don't like the art direction as much. The Dark Aether is definitely annoying. I hear there's an amazing level later on that can't be missed so I'm still going to charge through it.

soldat7 said:
I'm not liking Echoes nearly as much as Prime. The game seems more confusing somehow, there's more worthless scanning (and maybe more worthwhile scanning), and I don't like the art direction as much. The Dark Aether is definitely annoying. I hear there's an amazing level later on that can't be missed so I'm still going to charge through it.

I didn't like Echoes as much either when I first played it back in the day, I found the dark world just as annoying, but it really did grow on me. Especially later on when you defeat some of the tougher bosses, you do get that rare feeling of accomplishment you don't find in games as much anymore.

I would recommend sticking with it so you can see that level you mentioned :D , but also be prepared for a similar fetch quest (almost like the artifacts of Prime) towards the end of this game as well.

maxmars

Boards of Canada said:
Also, kinda off-topic, I sent my brother a message on my iPhone saying I was playing Metroid, except it sent as "I'm playing Negroid." Love that iPhone spellcheck.

That's nothing. In the Italian T9s, when you write "ebraismo" (ebraism), "fascismo" (fascism) comes out instead. :lol

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Jesus christ this shipped to me back on September 28th and I still don't have it. GOD DAMMIT PLAY ASIA GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER

Sagitario

Quick question: has anyone tried to apply cheats in Metroid Prime Trilogy?

I downloaded the TXT file with the codes, made the GCT file, loaded the disc with Gecko (it said "Applying cheats")...

But when I started playing, the cheat was not working...

The cheat was for Prime II: infinite dark/light ammo (it's supposedly activated with C+Z+2)...

Would anyone be nice and try, please? :(

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Farore said:
Would anyone be nice and try, please? :(

I would guess that since you're not playing Metroid Prime 2 and instead are playing Metroid Prime Trilogy that maybe the codes are not the same? I am sure all these games reside differently in memory address space than the original releases that the cheats were written for.

I fought Meta Ridley for the first time in 4 1/2 years Monday night. I forgot what an intense battle it is. I've lost to him about 4 times (the Omega Pirate got me twice this weekend). The worst is when you get him down to just one last sliver of energy and that's when he charges you almost nonstop. Part of it may be though that I'm making myself beat him using power beam/super missles instead of Plasma or the Wave Buster.

Also got to experience his new (to us in NA) stomp attack for the first time and
it's lethal! You HAVE to space jump before he lands because as far as I can tell, no matter where you stand in the plaza, you'll take damage from it.
After my 4th defeat I went over to watch the Farves/Vikings game with some friends and had some down time yesterday. Tonight I'm all rested and hope to take both him and Prime down with 100% scans and items within sight. :D

I also want to say that if it weren't for this thread, I still wouldn't have known/noticed the humming noise item upgrades make when you're near them, it really makes scouring the game for swag more enjoyable. :D

Meh, I haven't played this game in some weeks. It turned my Wii into a vampire because it would seem that my Wiimote's IR only works with NO sun light. >_>

Still in MP1.

I noticed that besides the altered Pirate data regarding Prime and the crater, they also altered/replaced at least two of the Chozo lore scans. I was waiting for the one where the Chozo talk about Samus as a scared child compared to how strong she is now and was disappointed they took that out and seem to have replaced it with the lore which hints at
the Phaaze homeplanet.
And the lore about the "turned Chozo" seems to be totally gone if I'm not mistaken.

Example: In the GC version, according to some of the Chozo lore, the ghosts that attack you are supposed to be "The Turned," Chozo who became bad for some reason (I'd rather they had gone the route of something a little more in tune with the old games, ex: imagine being attacked instead by giant Torizo statues whenever you try to get an artifact). So why did they turn bad? The scan data for them says it's because they're "driven crazy/mad by the radiation." Hrm. I always thought both of these elements in the story were a bit disjointed, plus they didn't seem to make sense let alone fit in with what we knew of the Chozo already. The Chozo are supposed to be very benevolent aliens. What would make some of them turn into your enemies? So as a sci fi geek, here's my own take on the story of the Chozo in Metroid Prime (and since they've tampered with the story more than a few times, I feel I'm entitled to my own interpretation :p ):

Forget the "ghosts driven mad by radiation bit" and think of the Lore of "the Turned" from the GC rev. My take is that "the Turned" actually used to be Chozo scientists. When the meteor impacted, the Chozo elders directed their science teams to try and come up with a solution. Of course the main result was using the artifacts to seal the crater (and Prime itself). Despite the bulk of it being sucessfully contained, as we already know, residual Phazon gradually crept across the planet either killing or dangerously mutating any wildlife it came into contact with.

The elders then direct the scientists to try and come up with a way to resist the effects of Phazon. Despite their tireless efforts, they fail but with a new development: the Chozo scientists discover along the way a highly advanced mutation method to "merge" with Phazon and turn their bodies almost entirely into energy as a way to keep living by imitating other energy based life forms on the planet like the Pulse Bombus and Jelzaps. Of course the Chozo Elders do not like this idea at all and order them to scrap the experiement immediately. They will bravely resist the Phazon even if that means dying, the Chozo are no better than the rest of the life on the planet. The Chozo scientists object saying the Elders are the ones being selfish. It's not perfect, but it is a way to preserve their civilization and the longer they can stay alive, the better the chance they have of eventually purging the crater and saving the planet, ect. The Elders again reject their idea, and point out that "the Newborn" is the one who will rid Tallon IV of Phazon. The scientists capitulate and leave but secretly make a pact to go through with the experiement later as a last resort.

Eventually the time comes and the Elders and most of the other Chozo are dying off, either from poisonous effects of the Phazon or old age, ect. A handful of the Chozo scientists remain and as they watch the last of their civilization die off, they desperately go through with the experiment which is a success....but with a catch. Since their bodies are now mostly energy and they accomplished this by merging with Phazon, their fates are now directly tied to the impact crater. In their new highly advanced energy state, the Chozo scientists work tirelessly to find a way around this for many years with no success let alone with no success to get rid of the Phazon itself despite their vast new powers. After the passage of many years, the realization of this failure is what effects them psychologically and drives them mad.

A long time passes and Samus arrives on the planet. "The Turned" former Chozo scientists watch and realize what is happening but still can't come to grips with the reality that the Elders were right. "If she gets all the artifacts, we'll die!" So, they try to stop her.

The Newborn is a feisty girl though, and the scientists have underestimated not just she and the prophecy, but the power of the Chozo beam and the suit she wears. :) Every time they try to stop her from making progress or getting an artifact, she pounds them back with charge shots and missles.

Later in the game after she has aquired the last artifact and
is in the thick of fighting Meta Ridley, they secretly watch her from the temple spires and finally start coming to their senses. Later they step in, using the spires to blast Ridley off the edge of the plaza. Briefly they appear in a sort of Anakin'esque "Newborn, the Elders were right about you" moment. :) By doing this though, they have sealed their own fate in a noble way because by helping Samus finish off Ridley and letting her go down into the crater, they will no longer have the energy which allows them to stay alive. Once Prime is killed, the last of the Chozo finally fades from Tallon IV.

I like this scenario because it explains key things like why the Chozo keep trying to prevent you from getting the artifacts, why they can fire energy blasts at you, why the beam system and missles can make contact with them, why they can be tracked with your X-Ray visor ect.

Anyways, just some fun fan musings.

Just got done finishing the game. I was able to beat the last boss on my first try, whoo! 100% snapshot posted to my Wii msg board. I think I only had maybe 45 energy left at the most though, it was close. :O Such an amazing game all these years later. One small gripe though about a change they made to the trilogy end file:
After finishing, as usual you're told that you've unlocked Hypermode and are asked to save BUT then a prompt states that if you choose to save, your file will be wiped clean and you have to start over. So forget about going back to play around in the hub and getting to browse through your hard earned perfect log book. All my goodies are gone except for Prime's 1's main slot being stamped with "Completed 100% - Veteran." Why did they make the save system this way?

Top Bottom