• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Osuwari

Agent Unknown said:
Just got done finishing the game. I was able to beat the last boss on my first try, whoo! 100% snapshot posted to my Wii msg board. I think I only had maybe 45 energy left at the most though, it was close. :O Such an amazing game all these years later. One small gripe though about a change they made to the trilogy end file:
After finishing, as usual you're told that you've unlocked Hypermode and are asked to save BUT then a prompt states that if you choose to save, your file will be wiped clean and you have to start over. So forget about going back to play around in the hub and getting to browse through your hard earned perfect log book. All my goodies are gone except for Prime's 1's main slot being stamped with "Completed 100% - Veteran." Why did they make the save system this way?

mp1 and mp2 are like mp3 now and carry over all your logbook scans to new games. don't worry about them.
it's kinda annoying that the file has to be restarted but at least it is better than on gc where you can't have 100% scans saved.

Osuwari

Agent Unknown said:
wall of text

to me, it seemed that those dead chozo got corrupted by phazon exposure like everything else and that's why they attack you.
remember those pirate logs where some pirates went berzerk while collecting phazon? similar situation with teh chozo. these guys couldn't resist phazon corruption and got twisted by it.
at the end i guess they came to their senses thanks to samus collecting all the artifacts.

Chris FOM

Oh come on, surely there's at least one person still reading this thread who needs to swap vouchers. It's a fair trade, I have enough to unlock everything the game has to offer. Just one person? Anybody? Bueller?

JaseMath

I'm enjoying MP2 a lot more with the Wii controls. I'm also noticing little details in the art direction that I completely overlooked on the GC b/c of the controls. Retro <3

OMG Aero

Chris FOM said:
Oh come on, surely there's at least one person still reading this thread who needs to swap vouchers. It's a fair trade, I have enough to unlock everything the game has to offer. Just one person? Anybody? Bueller?
I would but I'm not up to MP3 yet.

soldat7

Still fighting my way through MP2; I just got the Super Missile. The game just doesn't quite live up to MP1 and I'm finding myself not having a lot of fun. The graphics seem a bit more muddy and not as vibrant as the first game; maybe it's just my new TV. Thank goodness for Costco.

hatchx

Banned
Does anyone else feel as if Metroid Prime Trilogy is involuntarily Wii's GOTY? It's such a fantastic collection. Are publications going to include it for consideration?

hatchx

Banned
soldat7 said:
Still fighting my way through MP2; I just got the Super Missile. The game just doesn't quite live up to MP1 and I'm finding myself not having a lot of fun. The graphics seem a bit more muddy and not as vibrant as the first game; maybe it's just my new TV. Thank goodness for Costco.

It will grow on you. You really have to work your way to the end (it's pacing isn't as graceful as the other two) but man when you beat this game you FEEL it!

You may not have fun at all your first time through, but trust me, when you beat it and look back you'll really feel satisfied and rewarded. Massive bosses and spider-web-maze levels, the game really is something! The next time through, you will appreciate the higher difficulty and dark, wasteland-esque art direction.

TRUST ME!

hatchx said:
Does anyone else feel as if Metroid Prime Trilogy is involuntarily Wii's GOTY? It's such a fantastic collection. Are publications going to include it for consideration?

The Orange Box got a lot of GOTY nominations, so it should be possible. Quick browse of GameRankings shows it as the 9th highest-ranked game out this year (so far), but the year's far from over.

I haven't played much of Echoes (just about 2-3 hours) but I feel the environment's more melancholic than Prime's.
With Prime you felt alone because there was nothing. With Echoes there are bodies everywhere (with details), and you're still alone.

Anyone have any sales data on this yet? It'd be a crime if it didn't do well. Did they have any TV ads at all this time?

Osuwari said:
mp1 and mp2 are like mp3 now and carry over all your logbook scans to new games. don't worry about them.
it's kinda annoying that the file has to be restarted but at least it is better than on gc where you can't have 100% scans saved.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Agreed it's a bit odd but as you said, better than the latter and will make future treks in 1 and 2 a bit more laid back. :)

Shiggy

Agent Unknown said:
Anyone have any sales data on this yet? It'd be a crime if it didn't do well. Did they have any TV ads at all this time?

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Agreed it's a bit odd but as you said, better than the latter and will make future treks in 1 and 2 a bit more laid back. :)

The Nintendo Channel data doesn't look impressive.

hatchx said:
It will grow on you. You really have to work your way to the end (it's pacing isn't as graceful as the other two) but man when you beat this game you FEEL it!

You may not have fun at all your first time through, but trust me, when you beat it and look back you'll really feel satisfied and rewarded. Massive bosses and spider-web-maze levels, the game really is something! The next time through, you will appreciate the higher difficulty and dark, wasteland-esque art direction.

TRUST ME!

Back in late '06 I bought Echoes and got as far as Torvus bog (love that remix of the "red Brinstar" theme). I would've kept playing but had some other games in my backlog, then the Wii was released and that further distracted me. It's not that I didn't like the game, but things like taking forever to beat the Spiderball guardian and the more rigid nature of the game also pushed me into procrastinating on it even more.

As I've mentioned before though, my brother started playing the same time as me and managed to get 100%. I was especially impressed because he only had to consult Gamefaqs for two items at the most. He swears it's his fave in the series and like others here have said, the intensity of the gameplay and the dark atmosphere were what ended up winning him over.

I plan on tackling Echoes next week. Until then, as a change of pace, I've loaded in my GC Prime disk & mem card and am using it to play NES Metroid (with my sweet imported GC Hori pad which has a mod switch so you can fire with the B button which I had done for Megaman Anniversary back in the day). I'm starting a new game with my hard earned -3 hour password (which I got from playing through the Zero Mission bonus rev in '05) and am going to beat Mother Brain as the '87 version of Zero Suit Samus for the first time (gotta love that green hair). :D

I also took a quick spin on my old GC Prime save file to try out the original control scheme for nostalgia's sake. It didn't feel as bad as I thought it would but no way I could go back to that. I have to admit now, I do find it a bit strange that they didn't use the C-stick for aiming back in the day.

This is what I am using to play through the Fusion bonus rev of NES Metroid before treating myself to Echoes. Originally posted these pics in the old Sept VC/Wiiware thread:

Hori1.jpg

hori2.jpg

hatchx said:

TRUST ME!

QFT

upandaway

Is this worthy of its own thread?
Whatever, I guess. If a dude feels he wants to make a thread then go ahead.

MREO just opened up! It's like ZREO, only Metroid. For those that don't know, ZREO is a site that releases a new orchestrated version of a Zelda music track every Friday. They also have side projects like soundscapes and battlescapes which kick ass.
MREO has like 5 tracks now, and they all sound really awesome, especially Metroid II overworld.
http://www.mreomusic.com/

Sagitario

I started my replay of Corruption [first run was the original release] on the hardest setting, and after going from 1 -> 2 -> 3 immediately one after another, I can say that for me: MP3 > MP2 > MP1

I really like the action and fast pace in the beginning of MP3 and how you're getting upgrades every 5 minutes :p...

+ Grapple lasso
- Nerfed missiles

Both Prime 1 and 2 ran at 24 bits color-wise, right? Because the 16 bit dithering is really noticeable in 3 with all the smoke effects... I guess that something Retro had to sacrifice in order to make the game look as good as it does...

upandaway said:
Is this worthy of its own thread?
Whatever, I guess. If a dude feels he wants to make a thread then go ahead.

MREO just opened up! It's like ZREO, only Metroid. For those that don't know, ZREO is a site that releases a new orchestrated version of a Zelda music track every Friday. They also have side projects like soundscapes and battlescapes which kick ass.
MREO has like 5 tracks now, and they all sound really awesome, especially Metroid II overworld.
http://www.mreomusic.com/

Those were awesome, thanks. Nice change of pace from Metroid Metal.

Farore said:
I started my replay of Corruption [first run was the original release] on the hardest setting, and after going from 1 -> 2 -> 3 immediately one after another, I can say that for me: MP3 > MP2 > MP3
???

Sagitario

Fuck Mogenar! :lol

I spent more than 1 hour trying to kill him last night [hyper difficulty] until I discovered (by accident) that when he fires the laser from his mouth, you can shoot an ice missile and freeze the mouth; while he's trying to break the ice, he will stand still and the orb will be vulnerable for like 3~4 second... also, do not leave the shoulder orbs for last :p ...

I always wondered why that boss dropped so much missile ammo :p ...

soldat7

I take back anything nice I've ever said about MP2. I hate this game. Fetch quests, poor level design, uninteresting enemies, terrible menu system, bad weapons, pointless dark world...I can't believe I have to fetch so many blasted temple keys. Compared to MP1, it sucks. Compared to most other games, it sucks. Gonna play some Demon's Souls to relax a bit.

Gilby

soldat7 said:
I take back anything nice I've ever said about MP2. I hate this game. Fetch quests, poor level design, uninteresting enemies, terrible menu system, bad weapons, pointless dark world...I can't believe I have to fetch so many blasted temple keys. Compared to MP1, it sucks. Compared to most other games, it sucks. Gonna play some Demon's Souls to relax a bit.
I just finished replaying echoes. The first time through it was my least favourite of the trilogy, the second time through was much better for some reason. As far as level design, it's easily the most impressive of the three. Everything is interwoven so nicely that the key quest at the end takes very little time. The menu is also my favourite of the three. The dark world isn't so bad (it's pretty awesome once you have the light suit/annihilator beam), just the loading screen every time. I love the weapons but I think the ammo system was completely pointless. Lower Torvus and Sanctuary Fortress are fantastic areas.The echoes visor is excellent, but the dark visor is only really useful for commandos and the key quest.

Echoes does the "all-powerful-badass" endgame the best of all three IMO. It's easily the most fun to go around finding upgrades in after getting the light suit (I have a feeling this is why they put in the key quest, to encourage searching for items...). It also has my favourite suit designs. Overall, I would say MP1>MP2>>>MP3 (MP3 is still fun though, ice-missiles were a great idea)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Gilby said:
I just finished replaying echoes. The first time through it was my least favourite of the trilogy, the second time through was much better for some reason. As far as level design, it's easily the most impressive of the three. Everything is interwoven so nicely that the key quest at the end takes very little time. The menu is also my favourite of the three. The dark world isn't so bad (it's pretty awesome once you have the light suit/annihilator beam), just the loading screen every time. I love the weapons but I think the ammo system was completely pointless. Lower Torvus and Sanctuary Fortress are fantastic areas.The echoes visor is excellent, but the dark visor is only really useful for commandos and the key quest.

Echoes does the "all-powerful-badass" endgame the best of all three IMO. It's easily the most fun to go around finding upgrades in after getting the light suit (I have a feeling this is why they put in the key quest, to encourage searching for items...). It also has my favourite suit designs. Overall, I would say MP1>MP2>>>MP3 (MP3 is still fun though, ice-missiles were a great idea)

I strongly disagree with the bolded.

Gilby said:
As far as level design, it's easily the most impressive of the three. Everything is interwoven so nicely that the key quest at the end takes very little time.

I disagree there - admittedly, I didn't finish MP2 when I played it on Gamecube, but I played pretty far into it, and the game did away with most of the exploration, which is what Metroid is all about. It just felt way too linear for a Metroid game - the moment you got a new power, the place to use it to enter the next major area would be right there next to you, or at least in a very obvious straight path from where you found it. In Prime 1, often you had to remember where you had seen places you couldn't go before: what places couldn't you quite jump high enough to reach, where were all those white doors, where did you see spiderball tracks disappearing into the wall, etc. You actually had to go back to earlier areas and explore them again for all the places to use your cool new abilities just to find where to go next (assuming you were smart and turned off the crappy "Hint" mode). Prime 2, that sort of exploration seemed more reserved for collecting minor stuff than for advancing the main gameplay.

It wasn't as bad as the horrible Metroid Fusion, though - half that game was actually level-based, artificially locking you into only one level at a time. The powers you got didn't unlock the next area, the computer did. And then the computer would tell you exactly where to go in the level, and even tell you if you had to fight a boss.

Jezan

soldat7 said:
The menu system is awesome, it is confusing at first, specially if you try the log book, but you get used to it and then you want moooar.:p

I like Echoes, except maybe for the boost guardian and spider guardian.But it gets extra points because of the awesome Multiplayer music(Brinstar remix!!!)

Rolf NB

Goddamn Prime 2 is awesome. Finished it last night on Veteran, just went to "check out" Hyper difficulty and couldn't put it down. I've already grabbed the ol' beams again, Amorbis coming up next.

One thing that bothers me is how "passes" over the levels when you get new gear aren't as rewarding as they should be. Prime 1 did that much better.

One room in particular I want to point out is the dark version of sanctuary fortress entrance. So you get the power bomb "Oh, there was that yellow door, Ima go check that out now!" you say and make the trip. Once there you realize that you need the screw attack to cross the chasm, and without that, the room offers you nothing at all to do. Okay. Back you go then.

Then once you get the screw attack and say "Now's the time, Ima gonna go check that out!", all you will find is that you will need
the light suit to ride the fucking beam of light
. Another wasted trip.

And of course the room is worth checking out because
one of the sky temple keys is there
, so it's not just some optional shit you're going to ignore at will.

edit: or take those combination locks you think you can operate once you have the echo visor, but you really can't until you get the annihilator beam.

Anyway. Great game. Great collection. GOTY material.
Jezan said:
The menu system is awesome, it is confusing at first, specially if you try the log book, but you get used to it and then you want moooar.:p
You keep telling yourself that long enough, maybe it'll come true.

Gilby

Dreamwriter said:
I disagree there - admittedly, I didn't finish MP2 when I played it on Gamecube, but I played pretty far into it, and the game did away with most of the exploration, which is what Metroid is all about. It just felt way too linear for a Metroid game - the moment you got a new power, the place to use it to enter the next major area would be right there next to you, or at least in a very obvious straight path from where you found it. In Prime 1, often you had to remember where you had seen places you couldn't go before: what places couldn't you quite jump high enough to reach, where were all those white doors, where did you see spiderball tracks disappearing into the wall, etc. You actually had to go back to earlier areas and explore them again for all the places to use your cool new abilities just to find where to go next (assuming you were smart and turned off the crappy "Hint" mode). Prime 2, that sort of exploration seemed more reserved for collecting minor stuff than for advancing the main gameplay.

It wasn't as bad as the horrible Metroid Fusion, though - half that game was actually level-based, artificially locking you into only one level at a time. The powers you got didn't unlock the next area, the computer did. And then the computer would tell you exactly where to go in the level, and even tell you if you had to fight a boss.

I agree with this, and it's part of why Prime 1 is still my favourite overall. That said, it's not the progression through the levels I found the best in Echoes, it's the way it's all laid out. Everything is more interwoven than prime 1. Someone on here once pointed out that everything in prime 1 is pretty much connected through Magmoor, which is essentially a long straight corridor with a split near the one end. I went back and played through it again after they mentioned that and they were completely right. The whole game you go back and forth down that tunnel any time you need to get anywhere. In Echoes every section is connected to every other section, so at the end of the game you can go through the world multiple ways.

OMG Aero

I would trade codes but I still haven't got round to finishing MP2 yet, last thing I did on that was beat the boost guardian.
It's going to suck when I finally get round to playing MP3 and then there is no-one to trade vouchers with.

OMG Aero said:
I would trade codes but I still haven't got round to finishing MP2 yet, last thing I did on that was beat the boost guardian.
It's going to suck when I finally get round to playing MP3 and then there is no-one to trade vouchers with.

heh, I still havent got the game yet, and it is at the top of my list. I have a feeling I will be SOL in the next couple of months.

Rolf NB

soldat7 said:
Screw you, screw attack. Screw you.

Am I almost to the end? The game's worse than a root canal.
Echoes or Corruption?

Corruption: still a ways to go. 75%ish maybe.
On second thought, I'm not so sure how far in you get it in Echoes anymore ...

Did Retro lower the difficulty in Hyper Mode in MP2, or is is still the same as Hard on the GC version of MP2? I've just entered Torvus Bog on Hypermode and haven't found it too hard yet.

Top Bottom