• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

NR1

For those that haven't purchased this yet, Target currently has it on sale for $29. $10 for each game sounds like a deal to me.

I'm waiting for Amazon to price match. :D

upandaway

NR1 said:
For those that haven't purchased this yet, Target currently has it on sale for $29. $10 for each game sounds like a deal to me.

I'm waiting for Amazon to price match. :D
They dropped it or it's a one time deal?

That's a hell of a steal in any case, save for the case when you own all 3 games, then it's debatable.

Yamauchi

Banned
I sold my GCN and games a few years ago. Just got Metroid Prime Trilogy. It's so awesome replaying MP1 (never played MP2 or 3--those will be fun later). But man, was the game always this beautiful? IGN talks about a lighting overhaul, but it seems that they did more, or the game has just held up extremely well. Anyway, awesome trilogy.

Sagitario

soldat7 said:
I finished MP2 (ugh.) How long will it take me to beat MP3? I spent 18 hours with MP1 and 24 hours with MP2.

Definitely less than MP2...
I'd say around 10~12 for MP3 (maybe 15 if you play with a slower pace), there isn't as much backtracking [and the ship really helps] and by the time you reach the final planet you'll have the majority of the "keys"...

Edit: according to the Nintendo channel, I've over 72 hours invested on the Trilogy... :lol

soldat7

Farore said:
Definitely less than MP2...
I'd say around 10~12 for MP3 (maybe 15 if you play with a slower pace), there isn't as much backtracking [and the ship really helps] and by the time you reach the final planet you'll have the majority of the "keys"...

Edit: according to the Nintendo channel, I've over 72 hours invested on the Trilogy... :lol

Thanks. I want to beat it before Christmas (NSMB Wii time.)

Osuwari

Yamauchi said:
I sold my GCN and games a few years ago. Just got Metroid Prime Trilogy. It's so awesome replaying MP1 (never played MP2 or 3--those will be fun later). But man, was the game always this beautiful? IGN talks about a lighting overhaul, but it seems that they did more, or the game has just held up extremely well. Anyway, awesome trilogy.

it looked that good back in 2002. they only added some lightning and that was it.

according to the nintendo channel, i spent 93 hours in the trilogy in about 15 days (15 times played)
haven't played since finished beating everything in september. i got burnt out lol.

Rolf NB

FFS.

I'm at this point AGAIN in Metroid Prime 1 where I'm exactly one missile expansion short. I do know where they all are. I know about the one in watery hall where you need the gravity suit, I know about the one in frost cave, where you have to shoot the stalagmite, I know about the two at the top of root cave, I know about the one that you're supposed to get only with the x-ray visor, but you can already see the rain falling on the otherwise invisible platform. The panel in the ceiling in Phazon Mines. The four meltable ice sheets around Phendrana, and the spider-ball track, too, and speaking of which, the cordite column at the temple entrance. The grapple points in Thardus's cave. The breakable tank and the small morph ball railing in the pirate lab. The two breakable columns in Magmoor (only one of them holds a missile exp though). I know them all. ALL.

I just don't know which one I haven't picked up yet.

Now I noticed on my MP3 playthrough that I can shoot satellites to Tallon IV and Aether. I haven't reached that point again yet, as I've started over in hypermode difficulty. But when I get there again, to the Chozo observatory in MP3, and shoot the satellite off to Tallon IV, then save my game and hop back to MP1, will it then show me the missile expansions on the map?

Because right now, I'm at the end of my rope.

Rolf NB

Mejilan said:
Whoa? There are cross-game events now? They added MP3 satellites to MP1 and MP2?!
I DON'T KNOW. I'd hope so, definitely. Maybe they're just there so you can scan them and say "Whoah, they referenced the first two games here, this is all canon, blimey, my monocle is throbbing!". Maybe they were already there in the plain non-trilogy MP3 Corruption release. I don't remember.

tim1138

bcn-ron said:
I DON'T KNOW. I'd hope so, definitely. Maybe they're just there so you can scan them and say "Whoah, they referenced the first two games here, this is all canon, blimey, my monocle is throbbing!". Maybe they were already there in the plain non-trilogy MP3 Corruption release. I don't remember.

I'm pretty sure that was already there in the original release of Corruption.

Sagitario

bcn-ron said:
FFS.

I'm at this point AGAIN in Metroid Prime 1 where I'm exactly one missile expansion short. I do know where they all are. I know about the one in watery hall where you need the gravity suit, I know about the one in frost cave, where you have to shoot the stalagmite, I know about the two at the top of root cave, I know about the one that you're supposed to get only with the x-ray visor, but you can already see the rain falling on the otherwise invisible platform. The panel in the ceiling in Phazon Mines. The four meltable ice sheets around Phendrana, and the spider-ball track, too, and speaking of which, the cordite column at the temple entrance. The grapple points in Thardus's cave. The breakable tank and the small morph ball railing in the pirate lab. The two breakable columns in Magmoor (only one of them holds a missile exp though). I know them all. ALL.

I just don't know which one I haven't picked up yet.

That kind of happened to me as well, so I finally checked a list and the thing is because each room in MP1 is so unique, I immediately remembered each one as I was reading and found in a matter of minutes the one expansion I was missing...

bcn-ron said:
Now I noticed on my MP3 playthrough that I can shoot satellites to Tallon IV and Aether. I haven't reached that point again yet, as I've started over in hypermode difficulty. But when I get there again, to the Chozo observatory in MP3, and shoot the satellite off to Tallon IV, then save my game and hop back to MP1, will it then show me the missile expansions on the map?

Because right now, I'm at the end of my rope.

No, it doesn't work that way... but it would have been cool...

Rolf NB

Farore said:
That kind of happened to me as well, so I finally checked a list and the thing is because each room in MP1 is so unique, I immediately remembered each one as I was reading and found in a matter of minutes the one expansion I was missing...
Doesn't work for me. I've replayed Prime 1 a bunch of times, and every expansion location is familiar enough to me. I can read the full list and not learn anything new.

What I have to do is make a checklist, do a full world tour, confirm every individual location and cross them off one by one.
Or I could settle for 98% completion and a five seconds less to the ending cut-scene ... decisions, decisions.

I just want to say I hate the fucking Phazon Pirate bitch. This guy gave me trouble on the GC version but for some reason I can not fucking beat him here.

Rolf NB

Shin Johnpv said:
I just want to say I hate the fucking Phazon Pirate bitch. This guy gave me trouble on the GC version but for some reason I can not fucking beat him here.
Omega?
A single power bomb for both knees and super missiles for the shoulders. If you hear him laughing, stop caring for the little guys, bring your x-ray visor up and blast a super missile his way asap.
I'm finding this all way easier than in the Gamecube version. Haven't done Meta Ridley yet, but I don't expect much trouble.

Sagitario

bcn-ron said:
Doesn't work for me. I've replayed Prime 1 a bunch of times, and every expansion location is familiar enough to me. I can read the full list and not learn anything new.

What I have to do is make a checklist, do a full world tour, confirm every individual location and cross them off one by one.
Or I could settle for 98% completion and a five seconds less to the ending cut-scene ... decisions, decisions.

If you find that fun, go for it... if not, there's always YouTube [but then again, you've played the game several times, there wont be nothing new]... I don't think it's worth it after several playthroughs, though...

AppleBlade

I just got Trilogy in the mail a few days ago from Amazon and just wanted to say that I am in love! Damn these games are so friggin' good! The art, the music, the gameplay, the level design, the Prime Trilogy is so exquisite.

Also, Nintendo gets bashed a lot for abandoning the hardcore but I think the Prime Trilogy is a pretty nice package for us Metroid fans, I mean a special edition that doesn't cost a penny more than a Regular Wii game. Thank you Nintendo (for giving me something to spend my money on!).

Having finally found the trilogy in my area (which was extremely difficult, for some reason), I decided to mess around with Prime 1 to get used to the controls before heading off to Prime 2 and 3. Even though I've previously gone through both difficulties in Prime 1, and explored every nook and cranny of Tallon IV, I somehow find myself once again starting over. I mean, I have a huge backlog, not to mention the fact that I've yet to beat Prime 2 or 3.

It may lack the graphical punch it presented in 2002, but Prime 1 is still such a fantastic game that it manages to suck me in yet again.

Well, that didn't take long. Metroid Prime is just as good, if not better on repeated playthroughs. It's been 6 years or so since I lasted booted the Gamecube version, and it took me just under 9 hours to get 100% scans and items, with my memory serving me very well most of the way (I needed a FAQ for three missile expansions and one scan). Truly, MP is what I consider to be the highlight of the previous generation. I think I'll wait a while until I jump into MP2, then MP3.

I noticed that on my save file, there are three unfilled dots, which I imagine denotes the three difficulties. As I played on Veteran, the Normal dot remains unfilled, which is always a pain in the ass, since games should reward you for playing higher difficulties (although I'm not as OCD as I used to be).

Osuwari

bcn-ron said:

how many missiles do you have? 250?

maybe you missed one in the chozo ruins since there's a lot of rooms with 2 expansions there.
phendrana has 2 behind ice
there's 1 under a rock behind the ship
there's 1 in a bombable floor in one of those rooms full of mushrooms and metroids.

those are some of the usual misses.

Osuwari

bcn-ron said:
Omega?
A single power bomb for both knees and super missiles for the shoulders. If you hear him laughing, stop caring for the little guys, bring your x-ray visor up and blast a super missile his way asap.
I'm finding this all way easier than in the Gamecube version. Haven't done Meta Ridley yet, but I don't expect much trouble.

there's a problem. power bombs didn't affect him in the US GC version. in that version you have to beat him the hard way and use a lot of missiles.
btw, a fully charged Plasma beam shot is stronger than a super missile.
also, if you lay the power bomb high enough with spring jump, you can blow off all of his armor.

also, Meta Ridley is much harder in this version now. he was unusually easy in the US GC version but they toughened him for the PAL release and now we got that with the trilogy.

MP1 has a shitload of version differences that it's easy to lose track of them.

Osuwari said:
also, Meta Ridley is much harder in this version now. he was unusually easy in the US GC version but they toughened him for the PAL release and now we got that with the trilogy.
Yeah, I discovered this while playing. His air form was pretty easy, but I found it difficult to expose his chest while he was grounded. I actually switched from manual to automatic aiming to hit his mouth. Metroid Prime, on the other hand, was still a joke.

Little Green Yoda said:
According to CAG, Best Buy will have this on sale from 12/20 to 12/26.

Twenty. Dollars. :D

Thanks man!

Yeah, shit hasn't been in stock at Amazon for like a week. Was starting to think it was going out of print or something.

tim1138 said:
I'm pretty sure that was already there in the original release of Corruption.
Yeah, it was. It was also the reason why I decided to get 100% items in Corruption, which I'd never done before in a Metroid game. I'm totally weaksauce when it comes to item collecting in games in general and I will always appreciate MP3 for being so accommodating.

Mr. Hyde

Little Green Yoda said:
According to CAG, Best Buy will have this on sale from 12/20 to 12/26.

Twenty. Dollars. :D

I was about to order it for $50.00 from walmart. I will keep my eye open. Thanks!

Oh nice. Dead Space Extraction will be $29.99. I can get both games for the retail price of Metroid Prime Trilogy

I got this for Christmas. Haven't played a Metroid game before. Well actually that's a lie; I tried Prime 3 at a friend's house. Anyway, my brother and I jumped right into the multiplayer. He's already better than me at it. As far as the single player goes, I'm about an hour in to the first one. Just landed on Tallon IV for the first time. Liking it so far.

JadedOne

cooljeanius said:
I got this for Christmas. Haven't played a Metroid game before. Well actually that's a lie; I tried Prime 3 at a friend's house. Anyway, my brother and I jumped right into the multiplayer. He's already better than me at it. As far as the single player goes, I'm about an hour in to the first one. Just landed on Tallon IV for the first time. Liking it so far.

Aww maaaan you're in for a treat!! :D

If I had known how much fun I'd have revisiting Metroid Prime I would have bought the trilogy at 50 dollars right off rip.

I got it at Best Buy for 20, love the metal case, love the fact that three games on one disc. It's a great package, the only real complain is the lack of GCN controls. Just sloppy. . should have been an option, making it the ultimate compilation.

I sat down to "test" the controls of Metroid Prime (because I love GCN controls) and next thing you know I've got the Morph Ball Bomb in Chozo Ruins and I'm playing along, bobbing my head to the eerie music of Kenji Yamamoto.

Remembering all afresh so many years later why this was my favorite game of 2002 is amazing to me. A++.

The only thing I don't like is when in locked mode, Samus should grip her canon arm with her free arm (as happens in Prime GCN when you go to "look" mode). There's something awesome about her gripping her arm for "stability" as she shoots.

Anyway, I may even try Metroid Prime 2 again since it's here. I wasn't big into it and couldn't dig it, despite Prime being one of my favorite games this decade.

Osuwari said:
yes, that's another change that carried over. the correct flaahgra music, alternate phazon suit cutscene and grapple cutscenes are other changes that carried over too.

I thought that music was new/different. When playing that boss this time on the Wii I thought "wow, so awesome. . " but I also thought I did not recollect that particular music . .

I realised today that my 11 year old self was an idiot. I got Metroid Prime with my Gamecube after seeing the rave reviews, but hated the very first section where you had to escape before everything blew up and never played it again. :lol

Since then I've played Super Metroid and I've just started Metroid Prime again today. I'm really enjoying it, although I've only got as far as killing the plant boss. The sense of exploration, collection and isolation are very comparable to that in Super Metroid, although obviously it's not gained anywhere near as much love as I have for that classic.

I'm struggling ever so slightly with the controls, which I think would be my only complaint, but I'm starting to get it a bit more now and I'm pulling off some pretty funky moves. I thought the 3D platforming would be awful but I'm having no problem getting from platform to platform.

So yeah, I'm really enjoying one of the most critically adored games of its generation. Shock horror!

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Yamauchi said:
Playing through MP3 now. This game is really beautiful. The guys at Retro Studies are masters at level design.

Yeah same here. I was huge fans of MP1 and MP2. Never played 3 before but goddam if it isn't pretty. The art direction is so amazing. The general comment of this game being more linear, more narrative, and hand holding doesn't seem to bother me. With every prime game the focus has been less on exploration and discover and more on adventure and journey..this change doesn't bother me somehow. I'm still enjoying the ride :D

So I just got the space jump boots in MP1. I couldn't get past this morph ball part in the temple in Phenendra Drifts, so I'm wandering around the world looking for other places that double jumping can get me to. Kinda disappointed that the pace has slowed down; at the beginning of the game I was constantly finding items and fighting cool bosses or minibosses, but since Flaaghra, I haven't fought anything boss-like.

Cousin got this collection for christmas so I had a chance to try out the wiimote controls in MP1, I use to own it on cube and the wii layout is new to me but it's good fun, works so well with this game and MP3 which I also tried out for the first time, up to just after the first boss.

Going back a few months though I am a little disappointed in the missing effects the PAL MP1 had, gun heat haze, water ripples and ice build up etc.

OMG Aero

Diablohead said:
Going back a few months though I am a little disappointed in the missing effects the PAL MP1 had, gun heat haze, water ripples and ice build up etc.
Those effects were not missing in the original PAL MP1. They are only missing in Trilogy due to the way the effects were handled on the arm cannon in the GC version.

upandaway

You know, if they really put the effects in, I don't think it would have fit. Think about it, your gun frozen and everything and you move it everywhere like normal.

cooljeanius said:
Just beat Thardus. Now I'm trying to remember where I saw all those spiderball tracks... probably forgetting some...
I'm a little bit further than this at the moment, I've just got the
super bomb
and what's really impressing me the most is how modern the game is. For a 2002 game it really doesn't feel dated in any aspect - showing a sort of timelessness that was in Super Metroid also.

OMG Aero said:
Those effects were not missing in the original PAL MP1. They are only missing in Trilogy due to the way the effects were handled on the arm cannon in the GC version.
Yeah I know, it's why I miss them in the trilogy version :( Use to own the pal gamecube version myself.

darkwings said:
why did they remove them??
I would think (and I am probably wrong) that the trilogy version is based on the original code for each game, MP1 was delayed by like 6-8 months in the UK and PAL land thus the game had some fixes and benefits like water ripples, extra gun effects and longer loading on elevators to prevent the random loading crash bug.

But the trilogy version seems to have a good chunk of the fixes and area adjustments the pal version had, so somehow they mashed both together.

Aru

Just finished Prime 1 last night. Great game, awesome level design (surely one of the best I've ever seen in a 3D game).

I started Echoes today. The dark world thing is a bit annoying, but the game is still good. I absolutely want to finish all the trilogy (at the minimum, I'm not interested in 100% any of those 3) before the end of the month. Why ? Because I still have Lost Odyssey to finish before FFXIII is out :p

I just finished Metroid Prime too. It came so close to reproducing everything that was great about Super Metroid it's not even funny. Fuck that last boss though - I got to the final form 3 times with too little health to do it. I still hate the antiquated notion of boss battles like that, but eh, it didn't sour 15 hours of greatness.

It'll probably be a month or two before I start Echoes. I feel like if I went from one Metroid to another straight away it would burn me out on the series.

Grr, Omega Pirate is annoying. Whenever he goes invisible, I keep getting distracted by the two little guys that come out and forget to attack him.

kanugo

Metroid Prime Trilogy No Longer Published or Shipped

Kotaku said:
Four months after its release, Nintendo has stopped publishing and shipping the Metroid Prime: Collector's Edition. A company rep told an interested gamer the only way to find it now is through the second-hand market.

"[It] is no longer being shipped," Nintendo told the blog Coffee With Games. "When first introduced, it was announced that there would be limited availability. However, a reason for this was not announced. That being said, you may still be able to locate a copy via stores that specialize in previously played or used games."

kanugo said:
Metroid Prime Trilogy No Longer Published or Shipped
Kotaku said:
Four months after its release, Nintendo has stopped publishing and shipping the Metroid Prime: Collector's Edition. A company rep told an interested gamer the only way to find it now is through the second-hand market.

"[It] is no longer being shipped," Nintendo told the blog Coffee With Games. "When first introduced, it was announced that there would be limited availability. However, a reason for this was not announced. That being said, you may still be able to locate a copy via stores that specialize in previously played or used games."
FUUUUUUU nononononononono can't be :/ Ffs, I need to buy this NOW. I can't stand used things, argh, I knew I should have bought it earlier. :/ Thanks for the heads up!

Top Bottom