• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Bluth54

xS1TH L0RDx said:
I hate this whole ship date/in store date nonsense. I want this game NOW lol
Yeah I wish Nintendo would just release all of their games on Sundays, not just the really big ones.

I'll be picking up my copy at Toys R Us tomorrow along with Layton, they have buy 1 get 1 half off on all DS and Wii games this week so I'll (hopefully if they allow you to mix and match Wii and DS games) be getting Layton for $15 and I'll be using my $25 gift card from Wii Sports Resort.

Teknoman

hyduK said:
For anyone getting this, play the first one last, wouldn't want to skyrocket your expectations for the other two games (which pale in comparison.)

I dunno. Everyone has a favorite order, personally I think MP3 > MP1 > MP2, but its still best to play the games in order for story.

EDIT: wtf shipping estimate August 31st for Amazon? They better not be doing this because I chose free shipping :lol

bumpkin

xS1TH L0RDx said:
I hate this whole ship date/in store date nonsense. I want this game NOW lol
I second this. I was really hoping it was going to be available yesterday (Sunday) like Smash Bros. Brawl and Wii Sports Resort were, but alas, I have to wait until tomorrow. *heavy sigh*

upandaway

bumpkin said:
I second this. I was really hoping it was going to be available yesterday (Sunday) like Smash Bros. Brawl and Wii Sports Resort were, but alas, I have to wait until tomorrow. *heavy sigh*
You have both Resort and Brawl to pass time, what are you whining for? It's just 2 days!

TheExodu5

Banned
Picked it up, along with Layton today.

Packaging is beautiful. Too bad I got ripped with a friggin' gutted copy...booklet is a tad damaged. Don't care enough to get it fixed though (and not enough to have to drive to another store to buy it).

edit: picked it up in Ottawa (Billings Bridge).

upandaway

If I somehow get that poster (don't know if my importer pre-ordered it on time), that thing goes straight in the ignored-stuff-closet.

It doesn't even look that good.

TheExodu5

Banned
I swear this steel box is one of the most gorgeous things I've seen. This is truly a great collector's package. I'm just staring at it on my desk. Definitely gonna play this when I get home. :D

ryan-ts

AlphaTwo00 said:
God damnit. No preorder bonus in Canada... :(

Yeah that sucked a lot, would have been nice to get a little something extra. Still, I have the game and thats all that matters.

The tin box is also really awesome, makes me feel like a badass. Kudos to Nintendo for sending the Prime series off with a bang.

Neo Samus

UPDATE: SO I called my local gamestop (Northern Illinois) where I pre-ordered MPT. They DID get the posters, but in limited quantities. So if you did pre-order pick it up as soon as possible if you want the poster.

Struct09

ryan-ts said:
The tin box is also really awesome, makes me feel like a badass. Kudos to Nintendo for sending the Prime series off with a bang.

I love the tin too, but it makes you "feel like a bad ass"?

Captain N

Neo Samus said:
UPDATE: SO I called my local gamestop where I pre-ordered MPT. They DID get the posters, but in limited quantities. So if you did pre-order pick it up as soon as possible if you want the poster.

My local gamestop handed out the posters and tshirts as you pre-ordered the game.

DarkWish

I pre-ordered but was really worried that they wouldn't have enough of the posters and t-shirts, so I decided to go to GameStop today. I asked them if they would have enough, and they asked if I pre-ordered. I said yes and they then gave me the poster and t-shirt. They didn't even bother to check for a receipt or anything (though I did have it with me, if they needed to see it). I was actually kind of surprised that they were so willing to give it now since that GameStop is usually super picky about that stuff.

I suggest stopping by your local GameStop and checking. The t-shirt is all right and it was only in XL at my store. The poster is pretty awesome though. One side is the cover of the game and the other is a bunch of stuff from the three Prime games and is really cool looking.

TheExodu5 said:
Picked it up, along with Layton today.

Packaging is beautiful. Too bad I got ripped with a friggin' gutted copy...booklet is a tad damaged. Don't care enough to get it fixed though (and not enough to have to drive to another store to buy it).

edit: picked it up in Ottawa (Billings Bridge).

You got a gutted copy for a new release? EB fail.

Teknoman said:
I dunno. Everyone has a favorite order, personally I think MP3 > MP1 > MP2, but its still best to play the games in order for story.

EDIT: wtf shipping estimate August 31st for Amazon? They better not be doing this because I chose free shipping :lol
this is currently my order too, but i expect the shinier MP1 with better controls to climb back on top.

i think playing MP1 last personally is likely to make people like it less since after 40 hours of Prime flavoured goodness it's not going to feel as fresh as the first game in the series SHOULD.

TheExodu5

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
You got a gutted copy for a new release? EB fail.

Yeah they didn't get very many in. 5 guttes copies, and 3 preorder copies on the shelves. The girl there always gives me a sealed one if she can.

ryan-ts

Ahhhhh yeah, texture improvements ftw and I'm only at the beginning. Cannot wait to get to the planet itself.

edit:
playing MP1

bumpkin

Princess Skittles said:
The t-shirts only come in XL anyway, like all video game pre-order shirts. :mad:
I was mad about this, too. Large is the only size that fits me perfectly; mediums are too tight and XL is too baggy. The poster is slick, but it's no t-shirt. I was surprised that the "KAMEHAMEHA!" t-shirts for preordering DBZ Burst Limit were larges. That made me happy. :D

ryan-ts said:
Ahhhhh yeah, texture improvements ftw and I'm only at the beginning. Cannot wait to get to the planet itself.
You can tell this with your naked eye? I'd say the real litmus test would be to turn on the 'Cube version in progressive scan, the Wii version on in 480p, and then switch back and forth. I did this with RE4 on the 'Cube and Wii just for curiosity's sake.

JdFoX187

Banned
Teknoman said:

Yep, if you choose Free Super Saver Shipping, they'll ship it out later than everything else. Shitty, but you get free shipping.

Struct09

ryan-ts said:
Oh c'mon, now isn't the time to criticize me, I'm excited to have the game is all.

I was hoping you would come back and say you were wearing the tin as a battle helmet or something :p

Balb

Struct09 said:
I love the tin too, but it makes you "feel like a bad ass"?

GameStop description for the game's pre-order t-shirt bonus:

"Reserve Metroid Prime Trilogy and receive a GameStop Exclusive Metroid Prime Trilogy t-shirt. This stunning t-shirt will let the world know that you can be formal, but what you really want to do is party! Available for online and in-store customers, while supplies last."

Osuwari

upandaway said:
Nope, no new unlocks so far.
But apparently the game has a nice neat screen of all the unlocks possible, their conditions and everything, so once someone gets it we'll know if there's anything new.

unless they added something new to the Trilogy, both mp1 and mp2 don't have any new content. i unlocked everything that could be unlocked in the jp versions and it is the same unlockables as in the originals, minus NES metroid for obvious reasons.

btw, someone did the sequence break to get space jump boots early in mp1 but it requires a perfect bomb jump.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, now here's a new one on me. GameStop just sent me a text to tell me my preorder is in.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh nice, it's out in Ottawa? Futureshop kept on saying it's Kanata location didn't have anything in. Guess I'd better call again and pick this thing up.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I did this with RE4 on the 'Cube and Wii just for curiosity's sake.
Well, Capcom did not improve the visuals in RE4 at all when they ported it to the Wii. I believe Retro has, however, improved the texture work of the first two titles (at least they have stated as such).

I'm tempted to check this out, I must admit, as Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of this decade. Really incredible.

dark10x said:
Well, Capcom did not improve the visuals in RE4 at all when they ported it to the Wii. I believe Retro has, however, improved the texture work of the first two titles (at least they have stated as such).

I'm tempted to check this out, I must admit, as Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of this decade. Really incredible.
they've added bloom lighting to Prime 1 as well (but not 2).

soldat7

What is going on? The release date has been August 24 and now it's the 25th? Lame. The official site even said August 24. To the people that are playing it, are your stores breaking street date?

VegaShinra

soldat7 said:
What is going on? The release date has been August 24 and now it's the 25th? Lame. The official site even said August 24. To the people that are playing it, are your stores breaking street date?
Shipping date is the 24th. Most places will get it tomorrow.

Struct09

soldat7 said:

Not a street dated title, it shipped out to retailers today. Some stores will get it today, most will have it by tomorrow, and they can sell it as soon as they get it.

We go through this with every big non street-dated Nintendo release :p

gogojira

ZealousD said:
Okay, now here's a new one on me. GameStop just sent me a text to tell me my preorder is in.

That bitch just sent me one, too, but it's for tomorrow. Send back STOP to have them take you off the list. I did and got a confirmation text back immediately, though I also got a confirmation stating we're no longer BFFs.

soldat7

Struct09 said:
Not a street dated title, it shipped out to retailers today. Some stores will get it today, most will have it by tomorrow, and they can sell it as soon as they get it.

We go through this with every big non street-dated Nintendo release :p

My Gamestop has it in the back but won't sell it until tomorrow at 10am.

bumpkin

brandonh83 said:
Ashley's a girl, what the fuck do you expect.
I don't trust that treacherous harpie. She was the one who called to tell me my SFIV TE stick would be in, and then when I went to the store, they told me it wasn't in and they had no idea when I'd get it. :lol

ryan-ts

soldat7 said:

When I phoned in EB today they were like "Ummmm, we've been selling this since Yesterday" and I was like "Motherfudgers, I could have already been playing"

btw MP1 has been great so far. The new controls have been fantastic with it to the point where these controls work better then they did in MP3. There were times in MP3 where the combat got too chaotic and my pointer wouldn't register because I had moved it too far off the screen. It hasn't come close to happening so far in MP1 because of naturally slower pace of the game, I love it.

Also I'm thinking the cutscenes were taken straight from the cube version because the textures look pretty bad when you first see the planet coming down on your ship but when you land and start exploring they look much better.

Struct09

soldat7 said:
My Gamestop has it in the back but won't sell it until tomorrow at 10am.

That's their choice then. I'm not speaking out of my ass here, these kind of things are part of my work.

They come in some different case?

My pre-order doesn't come til tomorrow . . . traded in MadWorld to knock off a few (and I mean FEW) bucks.

Top Bottom