• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy |OT|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I won't be playing this for a while since I ordered it from buynextgen and they take forever to ship to Canada. I guess that's what I get for being so cheap and only paying $40 US.

gogojira

Little Green Yoda said:
Pictures of tin? Impressions of the first two games w/ Wii controls?

The tin. More tin.

ryan-ts said:
btw MP1 has been great so far. The new controls have been fantastic with it to the point where these controls work better then they did in MP3. There were times in MP3 where the combat got too chaotic and my pointer wouldn't register because I had moved it too far off the screen. It hasn't come close to happening so far in MP1 because of naturally slower pace of the game, I love it.

Also I'm thinking the cutscenes were taken straight from the cube version because the textures look pretty bad when you first see the planet coming down on your ship but when you land and start exploring they look much better.

The impressions.

My copy of MP1 on the GC has the voice-over naration at the begining (PAL) and I understand that it was only the PAL version that had this. Have they included it in the US version of MPT?

Hope it'll still be there in the PAL version of MPT, cos I always really liked it.

gogojira

Monkeylord said:
My copy of MP1 on the GC has the voice-over naration at the begining (PAL) and I understand that it was only the PAL version that had this. Have they included it in the US version of MPT?

Hope it'll still be there in the PAL version of MPT, cos I always really liked it.

I'm actually hoping it's still not in the US version, it seems very out of place.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So what's the deal with Gamestop and the tshirt/poster. I noticed in the other thread a slew of people complaining about GS' failure to deliver.

I walked into my GS today, preordered it in full (for pick up tomorrow) and walked out with the shirt AND the poster. Sadly, it was too late to cancel my Amazon preorder, so I've got a second copy coming in on Wednesday. :/

Monkeylord said:

The Player's Choice re-release of MP1 on the GCN featured some of the changes made to the PAL version, as I understand it.

JSnake

Since Ryan-TS has already posted impressions re: the controls, I thought I'd chime in on the other bonuses like the slightly improved graphics. To be frank, the effect is quit understated. There is indeed bloom lighting, which wasn't there before, but it's less noticeable than in MP3. Instead of everything given a hazy look, the only difference I can see is that light sources and the light they emit seem brighter. However, the overall enviroment seems largely unchanged in terms of lighting. Supposedly, Retro bumped up the textures a bit but I fail to notice this. Granted, I haven't played Prime 1 & 2 in a while but still.

Struct09

Monkeylord said:

Not there in the US version of MPT

gfdoom

just got my copy from nintendo world store, it also came with a black Metroid Trilogy baseball cap
pre_metroid.jpg

Pachinko

I bought this tonight, bit too tired from a crap sleep and full day of work so I only managed an hour.

It's got a nice box, it was 60 bucks and the new controls make the game feel more natural to play then it was originally... the downside though, it does seem as though the whole experience was recoded somewhat because you can't seem to play anything but prime 1 from the outset. So if you bought this because you didn't own prime 3 and wanted to give it a shot you might want to just buy prime 3 on its own. Especially so if you've played through prime 1/2 already. Me ? I played about 2/3rds of prime 1 and skipped echoes but finished the 3rd game so I'm curious to go back and play them now.

Prax

Pachinko said:
I bought this tonight, bit too tired from a crap sleep and full day of work so I only managed an hour.

It's got a nice box, it was 60 bucks and the new controls make the game feel more natural to play then it was originally... the downside though, it does seem as though the whole experience was recoded somewhat because you can't seem to play anything but prime 1 from the outset. So if you bought this because you didn't own prime 3 and wanted to give it a shot you might want to just buy prime 3 on its own. Especially so if you've played through prime 1/2 already. Me ? I played about 2/3rds of prime 1 and skipped echoes but finished the 3rd game so I'm curious to go back and play them now.

What do you mean? I skipped around and played with all three Primes from the selection menu..

I didn't get to play much, and I kind of suck since I'm a pansy at first-person perspectives and everything that moves scares me and needs to be scanned, but I found that when switching between the Primes, there was a change in how it controlled and it took a little while to get used to (from Corruption to MP1, anyway). Game so far is fun, yet nerve-wracking.. and I think I enjoy jumping into environmental hazards and off of cliffs too much.

Also.. I wonder how they decided how much each music track and unlockable should cost. My brother and I laughed and wondered why the MP3 tracks "cost" so much more than some other music tracks.

I really want to pick this up for the new controls and the art book but 60$CND seems a bit much, especially when I already own all three games and there's Layton 2, Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Batman: Arkham Asylum to buy. As much as I love the Prime trilogy I think my money and time would be better on other games. Kinda wish Nintendo picked a better time in the year to release this, a month or two ago I would've snapped this up, even with the 60$ price tag.

Osuwari

ryan-ts said:
When I phoned in EB today they were like "Ummmm, we've been selling this since Yesterday" and I was like "Motherfudgers, I could have already been playing"

btw MP1 has been great so far. The new controls have been fantastic with it to the point where these controls work better then they did in MP3. There were times in MP3 where the combat got too chaotic and my pointer wouldn't register because I had moved it too far off the screen. It hasn't come close to happening so far in MP1 because of naturally slower pace of the game, I love it.

Also I'm thinking the cutscenes were taken straight from the cube version because the textures look pretty bad when you first see the planet coming down on your ship but when you land and start exploring they look much better.

the cutscenes are zoomed in and cropped to accomodate 16:9. that's why they look so bad now.

btw, here's my impressions from the 2 games:
Metroid Prime Wii version impressions
Metroid Prime 2 Wii version impressions
keep in mind i was looking for SBs and played quite fast.

Osuwari

Struct09 said:
Not there in the US version of MPT

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

i was hoping this version would be complete with stuff from all regions given the extra time it took between the US and JP release.
sucks.

VegaShinra

WTF my EB order still hasn't shipped. Better just be slow with the updates on the site and it better show up tomorrow. Damn you EB

DanteFox

Stopped by my local Gamestop and asked if they had it. The girl said "uhhhh, let me check, it says here today is the ship date. So we should have it by tomorrow."

laaaaaaaaaaame. :/

Neki

I think I might go and get this, after reading the impressions, and really wanting to play Metroid Prime 2, I'd like to actually complete the trilogy even though I played the third before the second. At least I finished the first one before the third, lol.

JSnake said:
Since Ryan-TS has already posted impressions re: the controls, I thought I'd chime in on the other bonuses like the slightly improved graphics. To be frank, the effect is quit understated. There is indeed bloom lighting, which wasn't there before, but it's less noticeable than in MP3. Instead of everything given a hazy look, the only difference I can see is that light sources and the light they emit seem brighter. However, the overall enviroment seems largely unchanged in terms of lighting. Supposedly, Retro bumped up the textures a bit but I fail to notice this. Granted, I haven't played Prime 1 & 2 in a while but still.

The bloom lighting probably works by taking the intensity of the color in the scene and amplifying it. You'll notice it as a haze around most lights. You can see this easiest on the opening scene of MP1 with the red targets. Also, it seems like Retro just replaced a couple bad textures in MP1. LIke the grass in the initial landing cutscene of Talon IV its more detailed and less blocky. Same with the hatch on the ship.

Anywho, awesome game, really well done. The art book and case were top notch.

benjipwns

Banned
It was probably answered but, did they change the scanning in the first one any? I saw the GiantBomb thing and it looked like it was clearer, I know they obviously can't copy 2/3's awesome system, but is it any easier to see what to scan, what you have scanned, etc.?

Osuwari said:
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

i was hoping this version would be complete with stuff from all regions given the extra time it took between the US and JP release.
sucks.
As Mejilan mentioned, they dropped the voice-over in the prologue for the North American Player's Choice version that came after the PAL release, so I would expect them again to do it for the Trilogy version. I don't know if the story changes were carried over, though.

The MP series has to be the one with the highest number of differences between different SKUs. For MP2 they even promised to keep the versions more uniform, but the Japanese release again changed many aspects.

Osuwari

benjipwns said:
It was probably answered but, did they change the scanning in the first one any? I saw the GiantBomb thing and it looked like it was clearer, I know they obviously can't copy 2/3's awesome system, but is it any easier to see what to scan, what you have scanned, etc.?

the new reticule is bigger so it is easier to see scan points and scans carry over in both mp1 and 2 now but i don't know if they kept the % counter from the pause menu (the US version was the only one without it)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, the art slip; what's the deal with getting it for those like myself who will be importing as PAL Nintendo is too incompetent to give us a proper case?

gfdoom said:
just got my copy from nintendo world store, it also came with a black Metroid Trilogy baseball cap
pre_metroid.jpg

Picked up my copy from EB/GS yesterday for $60. Looks so hawt. Wish it came with a T-shirt/poster/cap though.

I got the Triolgy yesterday, and I'm surprised that they made MP1 and MP2 easier. E.g. 10 missile ammos, weakened bosses, etc. Ah well, the controls are so incredible.

Osuwari

Iron Toaster said:
I got the Triolgy yesterday, and I'm surprised that they made MP1 and MP2 easier. E.g. 10 missile ammos, weakened bosses, etc. Ah well, the controls are so incredible.

play on veteran for the classic normal difficulty. normal mode is now easy mode.

missiles give 10 ammo each in this version? in the jp versions they give 5 ammo each.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Iron Toaster said:

The normal mode of Metroid Prime 1 & 2 in the Trilogy is a new "Easy mode" that wasn't on the original versions.

Normal mode of Trilogy = Easy mode of originals(even if it didn't exist).
Hard mode of Trilogy = Normal mode of originals.

And i heard there is a 3rd difficulty in Trilogy as hard as the Hard mode of the originals.

For people from Quebec : I heard the game isn't even available this week because of the new law they made back in spring 2009 because there is no french version yet... stupid shit. I bet we'll get the version from France in 2 weeks with no tin case. Do Not Want.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Iron Toaster said:

WUT??? Is Veteran toned down too?

Brandon F said:
WUT??? Is Veteran toned down too?
I'm just playing Normal for now, so I don't know. I don't remember the 10 ammunition missiles in the original, also the 100 health things pop up alot more, e.g. when fighting a Baby Sheegoth you often get them. Not too glad about that, I remember them very rarely appearing, like only after boss fights.

linkboy

I won't be able to pickup my copy until Thur, but I got my poster and shirt already (it pays to have a good Gamestop).

Can't wait to play the game(s).

Osuwari

Bisnic said:
The normal mode of Metroid Prime 1 & 2 in the Trilogy is a new "Easy mode" that wasn't on the original versions.

Normal mode of Trilogy = Easy mode of originals(even if it didn't exist).
Veteran mode of Trilogy = Normal mode of originals.

fixed for acurracy.

you unlock hard mode when you beat the game once. doesn't matter which difficulty you beat it.

dyls

Will pick up today along with Layton using the buy 1 get another Wii or DS game for 1/2 off at TRU. Also picking up Batman with $30 gift card. All while using the $25 gift card I got with WSR. Is it just me or is TRU kicking total ass lately? Especially when compare to the shit deals BB and Target have been doing since CC closed.

Struct09

Iron Toaster said:
I'm just playing Normal for now, so I don't know. I don't remember the 10 ammunition missiles in the original, also the 100 health things pop up alot more, e.g. when fighting a Baby Sheegoth you often get them. Not too glad about that, I remember them very rarely appearing, like only after boss fights.

As already stated, play Veteran if you want the old normal difficulty. As far as I can tell it's the same.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Osuwari said:
fixed for acurracy.

you unlock hard mode when you beat the game once. doesn't matter which difficulty you beat it.

HATE that shit. Don't force me to play a 15-20 hour game to unlock a difficulty that is suited for me.

Struct09

Brandon F said:
HATE that shit. Don't force me to play a 15-20 hour game to unlock a difficulty that is suited for me.

I'll agree that they should just give you the option of hard mode right off the bat, but to be fair hard mode had to be unlocked in MP1 on GCN as well. So it's no different here, the only difference is that an easy mode has been added.

Top Bottom