• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

It finally arrived!

But I really really hate Nintendo Steelbooks cause they never print the name on the spine, wtf Nintendo? How useless.

And F-U Amazon Germany for seriously not reducing the price yesterday.
It really cost 99€ and both Amiibo were 20€ each.

That's both way above the RRP and I'm shocked cause Amazon never does that.

Well, they did it for 1 steelbook, the fire emblem fates one. But it was written the opposite way every other game case had the text written.

FiveSide

Banned
I wonder if speedrunners have started to look for sequence breaking.

I'm not a respectable speedrunner by any means, but in the back of my head I've been keeping an eye on possible sequence breaks (non-glitch ones anyway).

If you look at Super Metroid, there was an element of verticality that could be heavily exploited with the infinite wall jump and other techniques. Here, because you get the Spider morph ball so soon, I feel like those vertical sequence breaking exploits are no longer as viable. Because the devs have factored in your ability to climb various walls, essentially as high as you want in a lot of circumstances.

I'm assuming the bizarrely prevalent fans and air currents will have an exploit. I tried a few times to set up some kind of bypass by positioning the bomb just enough to see if I can blow up the obstacles from the opposite side, but so far no luck.

No Varia Suit while speedrunning through certain high-temp sections is an obvious possibility, but honestly you get the Varia Suit so painlessly that you might as well just go for it.

The most likely exploit is probably going to be bypassing the Metroids altogether and somehow activating the various elevators without hunting them all down.

I do feel, at least so far, that the level design is a bit less interconnected than Super Metroid, and more potential sequence-breaks have been considered and mitigated by MercurySteam. We'll see when people really start breaking the game down, though.

Just got the Varia suit, wave beam, and beat a new form of Metroid species. This game is fucking addicting. They really nailed the feeling of growing more and more powerful.

Just got the Varia suit too. Was getting a bit disappointed with the low-key ambient soundtrack but the Norfair track just kicked in and I'm in euphoria. Sooo good.

I'm amused to discover that in a few instances so far, the devs have taken precautions to stop me from abusing bomb jumping too badly. They knew.

Not always though.
3CNkvyQ.gif

I'm not a respectable speedrunner by any means, but in the back of my head I've been keeping an eye on possible sequence breaks (non-glitch ones anyway).

If you look at Super Metroid, there was an element of verticality that could be heavily exploited with the infinite wall jump and other techniques. Here, because you get the Spider morph ball so soon, I feel like those vertical sequence breaking exploits are no longer as viable. Because the devs have factored in your ability to climb various walls, essentially as high as you want in a lot of circumstances.

I'm assuming the bizarrely prevalent fans and air currents will have an exploit. I tried a few times to set up some kind of bypass by positioning the bomb just enough to see if I can blow up the obstacles from the opposite side, but so far no luck.

No Varia Suit while speedrunning through certain high-temp sections is an obvious possibility, but honestly you get the Varia Suit so painlessly that you might as well just go for it.

The most likely exploit is probably going to be bypassing the Metroids altogether and somehow activating the various elevators without hunting them all down.

I do feel, at least so far, that the level design is a bit less interconnected than Super Metroid, and more potential sequence-breaks have been considered and mitigated by MercurySteam. We'll see when people really start breaking the game down, though.

The amount of times I've infinite bomb jumped to a place where the Spider Ball won't let you go only to find a door that's locked I can count on more than one hand. There might be an exploit here or there I've yet to see, but as it stands this game is definitely closer to Fusion on the linearity spectrum than Zero Mission or Super Metroid.

Still fun, though.

Area 4 complete, just dipped my toes into Area 5. I really liked how different Area 4 was from 3. A good change of pace--Area 3 has few upgrades but a ton of Metroids, while Area 4 has few Metroids but it's split into two levels with more upgrades to find. First Zeta Metroid leveled me in no time.

And I really wish I had paid attention to the Grapple Beam description when you first get it--I didn't realize it automatically switched to the Grapple Beam if you aim at a Grapple point, I've been manually switching this whole time...

KHlover

Banned
Who at MercurySteam thought it would be fun if the Metroids run away from you multiple times per fight ?!

Starting to get reaaaal tired of chasing Metroids from one arena to the other.

AmyS

I managed to kill the second Metroid after many tries (yes, I'm terrible at this game) and the tip of my left index finger is kinda numb and has a blister.

That said, I'm really enjoying this game.

Incredibly impressed with this game. Definitely not breaking the Metroid mold, but it's a very comfy experience, and the new touches to the combat feel ace.

bogg

Finally finished after playing pretty much non stop for the last two days.
Felt so happy playing a new 2d metroid game, plus the game is really good.
And my 3ds soft locked after the credits to I missed the post-credit scene, that sucks.

Robin64

I'm not sure GAF would allow tools that unlock "on-disc DLC" that you have to pay for on other platforms, so amiibo shouldn't be any different. You're bypassing a paywall.

Wanderer5

Well I am liking this quite a bit. Currently working my way through Area 2, and damn this place is big, and sounds like Area 3 is even bigger heh. This game seems to be structure and linear in a sense that you are going area to area, defeating the amount of metroid in each area to access the next (unless this changes up later on), and I like the concept of going deeper and deeper into the planet.

Semajer

I finished it today in 10.5 hours gametime, and then 100% it an hour later. I thought it was excellent, with only a few minor issues that mostly stem from the original game. The difficulty was just right but maybe a bit extreme in places, although the QOL updates like the boss checkpoints mean that you can learn the patterns quickly and keep frustration from building. I didn't think the one of the new bosses telegraphed it's attacks very well, but apart from that the combat was great.

I was initially disappointed that they went with 3D instead of 2D sprites, but it wasn't long before the interesting, diverse backgrounds won me over. I'd love for this team to have the chance to make a new original entry on the Switch.

Is there any detailed information about Hard and Fusion mode? Are there any unlockables tied to completion time?

Man, the 3D mode is really good. Feels so deep specially when the camera turns around.

But I'm probably the only one who still likes 3DS games in 3D here. ^^
I always play them at least in the lowest setting cause it looks sharper.

Man, the 3D mode is really good. Feels so deep specially when the camera turns around.

But I'm probably the only one who still likes 3DS games in 3D here. ^^
I always play them at least in the lowest setting cause it looks sharper.
You are not alone.
Game looks incredible with 3D crancked all the way up and stays easy on the eyes.
Best 3D implementation since ALBW.

For all the people with sore hands, I can´t recommend enough the Cyber Gadget grips:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JDH8J0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OTEMTD4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have the one for the XL and it transforms the handheld into a proper controller.

Wanderer5

Lingitiz

Metroid definitely has power escalation and growth that no other game of its type has really captured all that well over the years. Even stuff like Ori and Hollow Knight still haven't nailed it as good as this series.

Voidwolf

I'm not a big fan of sidescrollers these days but think I've put in about 6 hours between last night and today. I am hooked, I can't put it down. I'm only not playing at this moment because my 3DS needs to charge, this game is so damn fun.

Orcastar

And F-U Amazon Germany for seriously not reducing the price yesterday.
It really cost 99€ and both Amiibo were 20€ each.

That's both way above the RRP and I'm shocked cause Amazon never does that.

You think that's bad? One Finnish retailer is selling the Amiibos for €47 each and the Legacy Edition for €145.

Jinroh

I spent my evening playing this game and finally finishing AM2R, and the more I play the 3DS version the less I like it. The game doesn't have the claustrophobic feel of the original and all the environments feel similar, as well as the enemies.

It doesn't feel like Metroid 2 at all and I wish they would have rebranded the game and called it something else.

1upsuper

I spent my evening playing this game and finally finishing AM2R, and the more I play the 3DS version the less I like it. The game doesn't have the claustrophobic feel of the original and all the environments feel similar, as well as the enemies.

It doesn't feel like Metroid 2 at all and I wish they would have rebranded the game and called it something else.
Yeah, the lack of sprites is my biggest disappointment with this game. The claustrophobia and general sense of darkness are just gone.

ChrisD

Area 4 gets you to that point in Metroid games where you're all-powerful for a bit, as you have all these crazy attacks and gizmos, but the enemies haven't caught up yet. It's the greatest part, followed only by actual endgame power.

ChrisD

I find myself taking breaks because the Circle Pad sucks for 2D games lol.

I'm having no troubles with this at all, but my hands are still cramping due to the L/R buttons. Those things have never been very ergonomic for me, and this game requires them a lot.

LQX

Loving it so far but I almost want to stop playing as I bet a Switch version will come out in a few months.

TheMoon

Loving it so far but I almost want to stop playing as I bet a Switch version will come out in a few months.

Pro-tip do not actually bet money on this because you'll lose. Maybe a few years from now. Absolutely no chance it comes within "a few months."

So, the Samus edition new 3DS is really slick. It actually didn't look that great in the promo pics, but up close it really is a nice looking piece of work. Metroid console + Metroid theme + Samus Returns...I'm very happy right now!

Top Bottom