• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

KHlover

Banned
What is it with those crystals that seem to react with the
wave beam
? They
light up, but otherwise nothing happens

EDIT: nvm, got it

taoofjord

Holy shit, I had really low expectations for this game. Metroid is one of my favorite IPs but I assumed this would be a low quality release based on the dev team. How wrong I've found myself! It plays great, even with the analog stick. The 360 dev aiming is worth the trade off here, much to my surprise. And damn does the game look GORGEOUS (even the intro's 2D illustrations, which by all odd should have looks crappy). Super polished too!

Mercury Steam vindicated! Game is lots of fun and that's what's important to me. Although it does make me realize how much more I enjoy playing the Nintendo switch. I've been wishing that I could plug my 3ds to the TV and play with my Pro controller from all the hand cramps I'm getting playing with this tiny OG 3DS I have...

By the way, could they be the ones working on Prime 4? Not like I think they'd be the best choice at all but I think that they could do a good job.

The most frustrating thing of all is that they clearly had the chops to do a top-tier game in this format, judging by how SR turned out. It makes me wonder what exactly went wrong with their take on Castlevania (specifically Mirror of Fate).
I think one of the main things to remember with Mirror of Fate is that it was intentionally designed to play like Lords of Shadow being part of that subseries.
The stiffer style of combat was surely intentional and I always felt that the map being vaguely open at points was more a small nod towards the series past on handhelds as opposed to the design mantra they were actively approaching.

I think they could have made a CV in line with the GBA/DS styles but that probably wasn't what Konami wanted after many diminishing returns sales wise in that department.

The Space Pirates have tried to defeat Samus for years.

And all they needed...

Was a good air circulation system.

tubesces02.jpg

They were on the right track all along.

Only beat the first Metroid, but I love how Samus controls. Very swift and aggressive. She has a really strong radius of movement so, even before all her powers, she's a real thrill to control.

My only complaint is the sickly yellow color palette. I really don't like that. Obviously you get used to it but it's just not an attractive game so far. It doesn't look "cool."

But there is a lot more game where this might change.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Up to Area 2 and the game is very very good so far.

Got the ice beam and had no idea the beams could be switched, I thought they stacked.

Lots of little details to admire too.

It finally arrived!

7OsuM9w.jpg

neoIPPc.jpg

0pa1Ge4.jpg

X8isLgq.jpg

But I really really hate Nintendo Steelbooks cause they never print the name on the spine, wtf Nintendo? How useless.

8lwwf3g.jpg

And F-U Amazon Germany for seriously not reducing the price yesterday.
It really cost 99€ and both Amiibo were 20€ each.

That's both way above the RRP and I'm shocked cause Amazon never does that.

Up to Area 2 and the game is very very good so far.

Got the ice beam and had no idea the beams could be switched, I thought they stacked.

Lots of little details to admire too.

In case you want to know (minor gameplay spoiler)
its only the ice beam, the other beams stack

The most frustrating thing of all is that they clearly had the chops to do a top-tier game in this format, judging by how SR turned out. It makes me wonder what exactly went wrong with their take on Castlevania (specifically Mirror of Fate).

MS had Nintendo on their side this time. Those Castlevania games had Konami on them, and...yeah.

Ernest

Banned
Any chance of them patching the game to allow the use of the D-pad for control instead of the fucking circle-nub?
The game is practically unplayable to me using that nub.

KingBroly

Banned
Up to Area 5

I had a bit of a glitched out moment, though.
I went for a Special Move on the first Zeta Metroid and it didn't quite register right (still not sure how to do it on them) and it kinda warped Samus into the floor and she just kinda wrapped back into the scene. It was oddly hilarious.

Any chance of them patching the game to allow the use of the D-pad for control instead of the fucking circle-nub?
The game is practically unplayable to me using that nub.

No, because the game was designed around you using the circle pad to do percise aiming when holding the L button, and the dpad does the aeon commands. If you swapped it suddenly your aiming would go to shit. Unless you want movement on the dpad and aeon on the circle pad while moving, then you hit L and it then swapped to circle pad for aiming and dpad for aeon abilities. You'd be better of just accepting the circle pad because like the switch dpad there is nothing wrong with it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How long is this game about? 6-8 hours?

It took me about 14 hours the first run to 100% it, but I wasted a lot of time.

Probably spent a good 2-3 hours total trying to get past some of the crystal blocks before fighting the Queen Metroid

6-8 for a normal fun sounds about right. More if you're 100%-ing it, but that's not incredibly hard in this game due to the map system having good icons so you know what you missed.

KayMote

How long is this game about? 6-8 hours?

Took me around 11 hours to reach the end and then 2 more hours to find all the missing items to 100 % the game. I've been backtracking quite a bit obviously, but I'd still say it's more of an 8-10 hours game. Very meaty for a 2D Metroid!

About 4 hours in and I really like the game, the only thing, call me crazy, that bothers me is the 2.5D. I'd rather would have a real 2D Metroid like Fusion or Zero Mission. Those games still look great today.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Great game, but god damn I will not miss the 3DS. One of the most uncomfortable system control schemes I've ever encountered.

I've been waiting all game for
the Plasma Beam and the Gravity Suit
and they both come in a short space of time! Between these and the
Super Missiles
I'm wrecking pretty much everything in my way. It's good to be all powerful. And just two more obvious power ups to go.

Power up spoilers just in case people want to be surprised, even though, to be frank, they're fairly obvious.

Jazzem

About 4 hours in and I really like the game, the only thing, call me crazy, that bothers me is the 2.5D. I'd rather would have a real 2D Metroid like Fusion or Zero Mission. Those games still look great today.

Sadly I think the only Nintendo games still using pixel art these days are Mario & Luigi and Fire Emblem, both Intelligent Systems funnily enough

mjc

It took me about 14 hours the first run to 100% it, but I wasted a lot of time.

Probably spent a good 2-3 hours total trying to get past some of the crystal blocks before fighting the Queen Metroid

6-8 for a normal fun sounds about right. More if you're 100%-ing it, but that's not incredibly hard in this game due to the map system having good icons so you know what you missed.

Took me around 11 hours to reach the end and then 2 more hours to find all the missing items to 100 % the game. I've been backtracking quite a bit obviously, but I'd still say it's more of an 8-10 hours game. Very meaty for a 2D Metroid!

Hell yeah, thanks guys.

Opa-Pa

Wow the frame rate in area 3 is awful. Feels like it hits single digits in spots.

Huh, that's weird, I haven't experienced any drops at all. OG3DS, right? Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm playing on my hacked n3DS with extra CPU mode, but I assumed it wouldn't make a difference.

About an hour in and I'm not that impressed. I don't like the way movement feels with the stick, the graphics are drab, low detail, jaggy and ghosty in 3d, the music is not there, and the counter mechanic is tedious. Maybe I'll change my tune when I get further in, but for now it's meh/10.

Ernest

Banned
No, because the game was designed around you using the circle pad to do percise aiming when holding the L button, and the dpad does the aeon commands. If you swapped it suddenly your aiming would go to shit. Unless you want movement on the dpad and aeon on the circle pad while moving, then you hit L and it then swapped to circle pad for aiming and dpad for aeon abilities. You'd be better of just accepting the circle pad because like the switch dpad there is nothing wrong with it.
Yeah, I figured, but I literally am able to crouch only about 25% of the times I try - I think that's a bigger issue for me than the aiming.

Only an hour or so in but I don't get the criticisms of the melee counter I was hearing yet. Seems totally fine, and it helps to quickly get rid of critters blocking your way. In previous games I remember having to stop and aim or continually jump to a ceartain height to blast some basic enemies 10+ times to clear my way. So far I'd consider it an improvment

MS had Nintendo on their side this time. Those Castlevania games had Konami on them, and...yeah.

Right. I mean, the differentiating factor is pretty obvious. One is company is arguably the greatest development house on earth, the other is a turd factory that is not very good at making turds.

KHlover

Banned
Huh, that's weird, I haven't experienced any drops at all. OG3DS, right? Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm playing on my hacked n3DS with extra CPU mode, but I assumed it wouldn't make a difference.
Playing on a non-hacked n3DS...the only framerate drops I experienced are during the elevator sequences. No drops during gameplay so far.

Just got the Varia suit, wave beam, and beat a new form of Metroid species. This game is fucking addicting. They really nailed the feeling of growing more and more powerful.

Not gonna lie though, those extra reserve tanks from my Smash Bros. amiibo have really saved me in a pickle!

Perfect finale for the 3DS. Hell, this game would have been amazing as a low budget Switch title too.

Forward

Yeah, I figured, but I literally am able to crouch only about 25% of the times I try - I think that's a bigger issue for me than the aiming.

Yup. I get hit all the time for the game not letting me crouch when I hit down to crouch.

And those dangle into dangle jumps while a clever premise, are horrible to execute on Circle-Pad. The actual jump is easy enough. But good luck NOT rolling into a ball and having to start all over again repeatedly. I think I got into Area 2 after only 30 tries at doing something so simple as a diagonal-up jump to a laughably close ledge.

Opa-Pa

teleport stations

not sure how to feel about these

I was iffy about these too, but they're placed strategically in places you'll be around at the time you kill all necessary metroids or dead ends, and near the altars, so they're there to make mandatory backtracking a non issue rather than to encourage abusing them to eliminate backtracking altogether.

And well, Areas can be extremely far away from each other due to how the map works, so it's fine in my book.

I think I've only used them once where I was in a dead end in a very nasty lava section.

KayMote

teleport stations

not sure how to feel about these

I was on the same boat, but ultimately I'm very ok with this. I feel like this game has a very specific level design structure that is truly maze like which can make backtracking by foot feel a little bit of obnoxious at times - plus with all those diferent zones that are not really interconnected the teleport stations feel like a valid addition to this specific world. I would be out of place in a game like Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion, but that's because the world is designed differently.

TheMoon

Sadly I think the only Nintendo games still using pixel art these days are Mario & Luigi and Fire Emblem, both Intelligent Systems funnily enough

Mario & Luigi has never been Intelligent Systems. It's always been AlphaDream and they haven't used pixel art since the DS game. Fire Emblem only uses pixel art for sprite characters on maps. A better example would be Mario actually with Super Mario Maker being 75% sprites.

Doorman

*Adjusts glasses* Actually...
Mario & Luigi is made by AlphaDream, made up in part by a number of old Square/Brownie Brown devs. Intelligent Systems does the Paper Mario games, though I wouldn't say those have used pixel art...basically ever, unless you want to be really lenient in how you describe the characters there.

Either way, while the pixel art works well and all I think it's fine for this game to have gone the way it does. Having Samus' model fully movable in 3-D is kind of necessary for the free-aiming mechanic, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the depth and some of the details in the backgrounds as well, which would have been more difficult to properly pull off in strict 2-D. It helps to make the different areas more worth exploring. Not to mention...I don't personally know, but does MercurySteam even have experience in pixel graphics at all? It's a very particular style that I'm not sure they'd even be capable of.

Opa-Pa

Both 3D models and mandatory circle pad are critical to achieve the kind of movement this game has for Samus, so I don't know what's the point of complaining about those things is.

And I say this as someone who absolutely adores pixel art and plays all 2D games with a d pad.

Well, I've conceded and bought myself a comfort grip for my N3DS XL. Hopefully it'll help with the cramp, although I have nearly finished the game, so...

Experien

It finally arrived!

7OsuM9w.jpg

neoIPPc.jpg

0pa1Ge4.jpg

X8isLgq.jpg

But I really really hate Nintendo Steelbooks cause they never print the name on the spine, wtf Nintendo? How useless.

8lwwf3g.jpg

jealous of the morph ball and pin.

Jazzem

*Adjusts glasses* Actually...
Mario & Luigi is made by AlphaDream, made up in part by a number of old Square/Brownie Brown devs. Intelligent Systems does the Paper Mario games, though I wouldn't say those have used pixel art...basically ever, unless you want to be really lenient in how you describe the characters there.

Either way, while the pixel art works well and all I think it's fine for this game to have gone the way it does. Having Samus' model fully movable in 3-D is kind of necessary for the free-aiming mechanic, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the depth and some of the details in the backgrounds as well, which would have been more difficult to properly pull off in strict 2-D. It helps to make the different areas more worth exploring. Not to mention...I don't personally know, but does MercurySteam even have experience in pixel graphics at all? It's a very particular style that I'm not sure they'd even be capable of.

Mario & Luigi has never been Intelligent Systems. It's always been AlphaDream and they haven't used pixel art since the DS game. Fire Emblem only uses pixel art for sprite characters on maps. A better example would be Mario actually with Super Mario Maker being 75% sprites.

Oh crap I can't believe I made that mistake ha, my bad. Of course it's Alphadream doing M&L, I'll use the last M&L game being a Paper Mario crossover as my excuse <_<

And aye that's fair on the free aiming, there is undeniably a lot more freedom afforded by 3d models with animation along those lines.

Maxrunner

It finally arrived!

7OsuM9w.jpg

neoIPPc.jpg

0pa1Ge4.jpg

X8isLgq.jpg

8lwwf3g.jpg

Got lucky and got 2 legacy editions for 55€ in media Markt, one for me and the other for friend, plus a second one from game uk that I ordered because of no guarantees from media Markt. Never would have guessed I would get all.

wwm0nkey

Today I have all day free so it's Metroid day for me. I did just attempt to see if this works on Citra....it does but boy does it not run it well at all.

After I am done going through it a few times on the 3DS I will 100% try it there in 1080p or 4k

Top Bottom