• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Sterok

Got 100%. Probably the easiest Metroid to do so since the Scan Pulse uncovers everything, and once you figure out that one trick the puzzles are nothing compared to what you find in Fusion and Zero Mission. I'm fine with that, since finding everything without a guide could get really tedious in the previous games, and the real challenge will come from speed-running anyway.

ghibli99

I've been sleeping my 3DS after every play session, but finally quit out and loaded my game from the main menu last night... the "warp in" animation and jingle brought the biggest smile to my face. :)

Got 100%. Probably the easiest Metroid to do so since the Scan Pulse uncovers everything, and once you figure out that one trick the puzzles are nothing compared to what you find in Fusion and Zero Mission. I'm fine with that, since finding everything without a guide could get really tedious in the previous games, and the real challenge will come from speed-running anyway.

never used the scan, it's way too easy with that, it suck out all the fun of exploration

I've been sleeping my 3DS after every play session, but finally quit out and loaded my game from the main menu last night... the "warp in" animation and jingle brought the biggest smile to my face. :)

The free Samus Returns 3DS theme(free with the online points on the My Nintendo site) has that noise play every time you open your 3DS! I love it.

(I think we're talking about the same noise?)

Socreges

Banned
I'm just 15% through, but getting the Scan Pulse so early on is, for me, completely antithetical to what Metroid is. So much of the exploration element is ruined. Maybe that'll change later on in the game, but for now it's disappointing.

My other main disappointment is that the areas don't really feel thematically distinct. Again, though, I'm early in

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Seem to be missing one item from Area 4. Guess I'll be running around scanning the map to find a secret room not marked on the map.

Also, just worked out how to get passed valleys of spikes. One of those away from the game eureka moments.

ryushe

Anyone think the two pack Samus and Metroid amiibo will become rare?

I haven't finished the game yet, so I haven't opened opened it but I did a quick search just cause I was curious and it seems to be sold out everywhere.

Opa-Pa

IMO using the scan too often can ruin exploration, sure, but some upgrades are hidden in very obtuse locations that clearly assume you'll be using the pulse, otherwise they'd take annoying amounts of trial qnd error.

Does the game have any issues running on a regular 3DS?

There are some frame rate dips here and there. N3DS doesn't have any.

Oh, abbout Chozo memories, I haven't unlocked any of the art pieces completely yet, but do they get color and/or 3D effect once completed? I'm really itching to find out what the reveal is.

Quoting myself for the new page, sorry!

ghibli99

The free Samus Returns 3DS theme(free with the online points on the My Nintendo site) has that noise play every time you open your 3DS! I love it.

(I think we're talking about the same noise?)
I'm assuming it is... I completely forgot My Nintendo is even a thing. LOL I think I'll check it out right now. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, that's nice. :) Redeemed!

Oidisco

I keep thinking about how great the boss fights are. I'm pretty critical of a few different things in this game but they really nailed the bosses. Just wish there were more of them

Alrus

Finished the game at 100% a bit earlier.

Great experience overall, the bosses always felt stupid hard at first but learning their pattern and beating them is very satisfying.

Really makes me hopeful we'll get more Metroid in the future, I missed the series so much.

Egida

Neo Member
I keep thinking about how great the boss fights are. I'm pretty critical of a few different things in this game but they really nailed the bosses. Just wish there were more of them
Me too. I love the sense of progression, like, the first time you fight a new metroid evolution it's hard as nails, and then you keep fighting and by the time you finish that area you can beat them with your eyes closed.

jwillenn

never used the scan, it's way too easy with that, it suck out all the fun of exploration

Yeah, I have never intentionally used the scanner. I've done it a few times by accident in the beginning of the game (maybe first 30 minutes of play), but I made sure to pay no attention to what was revealed. This was before I learned that you could cancel with A. Somehow I missed that information initially.

I guess that's true. There is also the fact, though, that he is kinda mecha ridley, then normal ridley with no time at all :p Samus beat life into him, apparently

That makes sense too, actually. Although,
the Metroid baby never grows up, in that time.

Considering they were engineered, I doubt Metroids can starve to death, but they probably need food in order to grow.

MoonFrog

Man, (Zone 5)
Gravity suit, plasma beam, screw attack--all in a row too :)
. Suddenly feel very powerful. Helps that I had a Metroid fight where I grabbed him off the ceiling and then countered, both with super missiles, in short succession. It is mainly
Plasma beam mostly though, and they give you all those robots right afterwards to strike that home.

Also, the large rooms continue to remind me very much of Metroid II. Rolling around on ceilings above "buildings;" exploring the buildings for power-ups are definitely among my strongest Metroid II memories along-side the decreasing fluid levels, the Metroid husks, and the Metroid bosses.

Maybe it helps that I haven't played the original in quite some time, but this is really bringing vague memories of it back. I'm enjoying that.

I think the game has been better today too. The Metroid forms have been more varied and difficult to deal with, as have the normal enemies. Sometimes I do feel the enemies grab a bit too much attention and time, but counters can clear stuff quickly. It is mostly the enemies that swarm in "clouds" that can get a bit too bullet spongy imo. And again,
Plasma beam is great for that.

Also those big rooms are really playing well into my nostalgia but I'm glad I have
space jump.
Too much spider balling every nook and cranny to find rooms and goodies can really slow things down.

As for aside about Samus's suit of the day: I do think the pauldrons on this version are a bit weird. I think the green streaks are too exaggerated, that they overlap the breast-plate awkwardly, and those round things on the front are too big. I'm not sure how I feel about the extra highlights on the
Gravity Suit.
I sort of like them; sort of think they may be too much.

And music: I'll just say I fucking love that old aquatic theme.

Anteo

Man, (Zone 5)
Gravity suit, plasma beam, screw attack--all in a row too :)
. Suddenly feel very powerful. Helps that I had a Metroid fight where I grabbed him off the ceiling and then countered, both with super missiles, in short succession. It is mainly
Plasma beam mostly though, and they give you all those robots right afterwards to strike that home.

Also, the large rooms continue to remind me very much of Metroid II. Rolling around on ceilings above "buildings;" exploring the buildings for power-ups are definitely among my strongest Metroid II memories along-side the decreasing fluid levels, the Metroid husks, and the Metroid bosses.

Maybe it helps that I haven't played the original in quite some time, but this is really bringing vague memories of it back. I'm enjoying that.

I think the game has been better today too. The Metroid forms have been more varied and difficult to deal with, as have the normal enemies. Sometimes I do feel the enemies grab a bit too much attention and time, but counters can clear stuff quickly. It is mostly the enemies that swarm in "clouds" that can get a bit too bullet spongy imo. And again,
Plasma beam is great for that.

Also those big rooms are really playing well into my nostalgia but I'm glad I have
space jump.
Too much spider balling every nook and cranny to find rooms and goodies can really slow things down.

As for aside about Samus's suit of the day: I do think the pauldrons on this version are a bit weird. I think the green streaks are too exaggerated, that they overlap the breast-plate awkwardly, and those round things on the front are too big. I'm not sure how I feel about the extra highlights on the
Gravity Suit.
I sort of like them; sort of think they may be too much.

And music: I'll just say I fucking love that old aquatic theme.

For the bolded enemies, activate your lightning armor and use a counter. The improved range and damage of the counter clears those in one swing.

Toxi

Banned
I like how all the upgrades and abilities feel useful in a variety of situations. There isn't a single one, other than maybe the Spring Ball, that feels tacked on and limited.

Neiteio

I like how all the upgrades and abilities feel useful in a variety of situations. There isn't a single one, other than maybe the Spring Ball, that feels tacked on and limited.
I get plenty of use out of the Spring Ball. Allows me to cut down on wall-crawling time by jumping halfway up, and reach tunnel ceilings more quickly.

Atrarock

Are metroids only destroyed with missiles? Do I really have to hold L and R to have missiles and aim?
Ice beam and/or missiles. You can run around and just hold r and fire missiles. I usually run right when a alpha or gamma spawns and get quick freeze on their weak spots.
You'll always see a path, but it doesn't always mean you know what's there nor will you always have what you need to get there, it still gives you something to look forward to later. Besides, it's still good for both newcomers and fans. Plus the
power bomb
is still a thing too.

jorgejjvr

Ice beam and/or missiles. You can run around and just hold r and fire missiles. I usually run right when a alpha or gamma spawns and get quick freeze on their weak spots.
I just started and like the second metroid is beating my butt lol. Only some platforms to move

D.Lo

Got my Japanese special edition
2S87hj0.jpg
Classiest package of them all IMO.

I initially wasn't going to use the scan pulse.

But then when I found myself spending 20 minutes bombing every spot along a wall trying to find the one that lead to a room with a single missile tank I realized I value my time more then that.

Even when scan pulsing like crazy I found it didn't really hurt the sense of exploration, if anything it enhanced it.

I'm sure this has been asked one million times already in this thread, but I want to know before I save:

Area 4 - Will I be able to get the upgrades I missed during the
diggernaut
sequence?

I'm sure this has been asked one million times already in this thread, but I want to know before I save:

Area 4 - Will I be able to get the upgrades I missed during the
diggernaut
sequence?

yes. In fact at least one of them is impossible to get before the end of the game, and I'm pretty sure you were never really intended to pick them up during that sequence anyways

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've been exploring the huge area 3 for a considerable amount of time and I'm still at 0/10 metroids. I guess this area's gonna take a while.

Toxi

Banned
I initially wasn't going to use the scan pulse.

But then when I found myself spending 20 minutes bombing every spot along a wall trying to find the one that lead to a room with a single missile tank I realized I value my time more then that.

Even when scan pulsing like crazy I found it didn't really hurt the sense of exploration, if anything it enhanced it.
I found the best way to look for power-ups without the scan pulse is to look at the map for places without borders or with gaps.

Granted, that only works if you're not very efficient like me and end up wandering around the entire area.

Kangi

Diggernaut
. Sheesh.

Everything in this game does so much damage to you. Think you've got the edge in a boss fight, then whoops where did three of my tanks go

Weiss

Banned
Im getting into it more but damn does this game have its bugbears.

So many times I blindly ran into enemies or died because I couldn't jump out of acid pools. Enemies do way too much damage, even the tiny hard to hit ones.

Opa-Pa

Quick question about the final boss

Is Ridley's shiny claw attack parriable? And if not, does he have such an attack at all?

Edit: Never mind, figured it out.

Berordn

Diggernaut
. Sheesh.

Everything in this game does so much damage to you. Think you've got the edge in a boss fight, then whoops where did three of my tanks go

I like it a bunch, but it really is a final exam boss and more of a puzzle fight than anything, so I guess that's at least why it hurts so damn much.

Top Bottom