• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

lazyguy

I just wanna drop in again to say I'm loving the game so much. Every time I start up the game and see that title screen I just get super giddy.

Finished my first run with 9:05:42 60%. Metroid is definitely back. Overall it felt a little bit like a step between Zero Mission and Super, which is... appropriate. It wasn't as linear and hand-holdy as ZM but it wasn't as unexplained and open as Super. Not the biggest fan of wall-jump chaining being dead, but from a game design standpoint I can understand why and accept it.

75%-100% progress boss spoilers:
I get the feeling Diggernaut is going to be many new players' Yakuza/Gedo/Gedu/Spider Asshole from Fusion. It was absolutely kicking my ass at first but as time went on I was really enjoying the patterns you needed to beat it, much like Yakuza back in the day who is now one of my favorite fights.
Not a fan of how they just wrote new music for the Metroid Queen fight with elements of Super Mother Brain and completely discarded the old one. Come on, even Arachnus got a little bit of its Fusion theme, you couldn't just throw in the melody a little bit? Fight was definitely improved, I'd even say improved from AM2R.
Proteus Ridley is a bastard and I don't like him.

Starting Fusion difficulty now and I'm glad they went with Samus having less defense instead of making enemies bulkier. Didn't like that in ZM when they just randomly decided Mecha Ridley needed about 10x more health.

Finished my first run with 9:05:42 60%. Metroid is definitely back. Overall it felt a little bit like a step between Zero Mission and Super, which is... appropriate. It wasn't as linear and hand-holdy as ZM but it wasn't as unexplained and open as Super. Not the biggest fan of wall-jump chaining being dead, but from a game design standpoint I can understand why and accept it.

This actually isn't quite true but I'd say it's much more awkward than previous games and has less utility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR1LCPFohto

Playing through the second time and I have to say that Area 3 is definitely the low point of the game. Only two new main upgrades that are relatively limited in their utility despite being the largest and most sprawling Area, the largest amount of Metroids in the game, a good majority of them being Gamma Metroids that like to flee mid battle (sometimes multiple times), and what feels like the Area with the largest amount of expansions locked behind items you get in later Areas. Basically, a really big Metroid hunt with very little player growth. In a second playthrough it feels like a slog compared to the Areas that come right before and right after. Area 4 in particular is a complete breeze in comparison.

Semajer

Just finished Fusion mode 100% in 10:48. I think I enjoyed it more the second time since I had all the boss patterns memorised. It made the final boss a lot more fun.

Egida

Neo Member
Well, finally beated it 100%. I think it's an absolutely fantastic game, so much fun. Loved the last bosses, so gamey, hard yet very satisfying. The
Queen
design was amazeballs and the
Ridley fight
was a nice surprise.

The best part was easily the 360º aiming and I really hope that it becomes a permanent staple in the series from now on.

Here’s to hoping that we don't have to wait another decade for the next Metroid!

Damn. I pulled a """"AREA 4 SPOILER"""
Gamma Metroid
when I was directly below it. I didn´t know it damaged you. Face meets palm.

Realeza

Banned
Well, finally beated it 100%. I think it's an absolutely fantastic game, so much fun. Loved the last bosses, so gamey, hard yet very satisfying. The
Queen
design was amazeballs and the
Ridley fight
was a nice surprise.

The best part was easily the 360º aiming and I really hope that it becomes a permanent staple in the series from now on.

Here’s to hoping that we don't have to wait another decade for the next Metroid!

Prime 4 is coming soon!

Orcastar

Just beat the game. Took me 10:02 with all items found.

Overall a decent effort, but doesn't hold a candle to Super Metroid or Zero Mission. Not enough enemy variety, not enough environmental variety, some areas just feel unnecessarily large, and the game lacks the isolated atmosphere of past games. The Aeion abilities felt underutilised. Music was forgettable apart from the remixes. Very nice 3D effect though. If I had to score it, I'd give it a 7.5/10.

WestEgg

I'm sure in the 40 pages of this OT it's been asked already, but, without spoiling, does anyone have a breakdown of completion percentages needed for the various endings?

Opa-Pa

Probably a silly question, but after beating the game, I can go back to the same save file to get 100% completion and fight the final boss again to unlock everything, right?

backlot

I'm sure in the 40 pages of this OT it's been asked already, but, without spoiling, does anyone have a breakdown of completion percentages needed for the various endings?

The endings are time based. There is something additional for 100% clear though. Lower % clears don't really have unique endings. You just get less of what 100% gives you.

Semajer

I'm super lost.

You can go to the Metroid statue and it will give you a hint.

Probably a silly question, but after beating the game, I can go back to the same save file to get 100% completion and fight the final boss again to unlock everything, right?

Yes, you'll load at the last save point. Though it may not be possible to fill the whole map in the
starting area
after beating the
queen

Toxi

Banned
Completion % doesn't affect your ending, only your completion time. Less than 4 hours is zero suit, less than 8 hours is Samus sans helmet.

But unlocking certain milestones of item % will unlock Chozo Memories in the gallery that tell the story of SR388. The last one you unlock seems like it's teasing the plot of Metroid 5.

The Hermit

Beat Area 6. Really enjoyed
the mining robot boss. Good use of all of Samus' abilities and was provided a good challenge. That final 'nope' shot by Samus was great.

Considering Super Metroid is still considered one of the best in the series, odd that you think a Metroid game is hampered by being on a more powerful system than the SNES.

Pixelart> low poly 3D.

I don't think it looks bad, but the resolution, for the very first time, is bothering me.

wwm0nkey

Pixelart> low poly 3D.

I don't think it looks bad, but the resolution, for the very first time, is bothering me.

Sucks too because Citra can't fix this since there is a constant filter over the game that will always make it look like it renders at 240p :c

But yeah the resolution is the only thing I have a gripe with, I am fine with low ploy

I've been taking my time with this game. Mainly due to work and other time restrictions. However, I just completed the highly talked about sequence in area 4. Personally, I enjoyed it and didn't really have an issue with it. I completed the final sequence with a couple nanoseconds left. It was tough but the only area that gave me trouble was the final sequence. I died a number of times there. In the grand scheme of things, I probably spent 5-10 minutes trying to beat it.

Egida

Neo Member
Prime 4 is coming soon!
Of course, of course. I was talking mostly about 2D metroids. I hope we can see both of them like in the Cube/GBA days.

Is there an item to get after beating final boss? I'm at 90 something percent for Area 1 so I think I'm probably missing one item, but I don't seem to see anything from where I've been on the map so far. Still having trouble beating the final boss itself though
There is nothing you can not get once
the baby metroid is following you
. Just keep exploring (or spamming the radar).

Croc

Banned
Is there an item to get after beating final boss? I'm at 90 something percent for Area 1 so I think I'm probably missing one item, but I don't seem to see anything from where I've been on the map so far. Still having trouble beating the final boss itself though

emb

Yes, you get something after.

Yukinari

The red spikes and digger boss fight are some of the worst designed things ive ever seen.

The boss isnt completely terrible but its just head scratching.

zooL

anyone know how long till we know if this sold as well as deserved? i pray to the chozo gods for another 2D metroid on switch! :)

TheMoon

anyone know how long till we know if this sold as well as deserved? i pray to the chozo gods for another 2D metroid on switch! :)

tomorrow for Japan (30-40k will be in line with previous 2D Metroid, more will be exceptional), never for EU (aside from chart positions, like how it made top 8 all formats in the UK charts and 7th in single format - you'll never get actual figures), if it broke records or did series' best numbers you'll hear it in the NPD PR next month for US otherwise nothing and that's all you'll hear unless it sells close to a million, then Nintendo will issue proud PR.

Griss

tomorrow for Japan (30-40k will be in line with previous 2D Metroid, more will be exceptional), never for EU (aside from chart positions, like how it made top 8 all formats in the UK charts and 7th in single format - you'll never get actual figures), if it broke records or did series' best numbers you'll hear it in the NPD PR next month for US otherwise nothing and that's all you'll hear unless it sells close to a million, then Nintendo will issue proud PR.

I worry that the kind of hardcore fan that this game will attract will be the kind of person to have hacked their 3ds by now. They could lose a fair few sales to piracy. I hope that's not the case but I've seen on other sites that a bunch of people pirated it.

Hopefully they have some way of telling that. Either way it doesn't matter a huge amount as Prime 4 is coming anyway so this isn't a 'test' and Prime 4 will be free from piracy concerns.

mrkgoo

Does scan pulse reveal everything?

One thing I liked about the map scanners in previous games was thatnit revealed the main map but there were still secrets to discover.

It seems with the scan pulse, there isn't the same sense of discovery.

And maybe it's me but those energy tanks are rare.... finding the game a bit more challenging due to damage dished out.

Fun game though.

Area 5 down, I'm still haunted by an item I left behind, it eats away at me because despite my best efforts I couldn't solve the conundrum.

Damn. I pulled a """"AREA 4 SPOILER"""
Gamma Metroid
when I was directly below it. I didn´t know it damaged you. Face meets palm.

I kept doing this until I suddenly remembered that the power of free aim and some common sense could've alleviated me from much pain.

Opa-Pa

Oh, abbout Chozo memories, I haven't unlocked any of the art pieces completely yet, but do they get color and/or 3D effect once completed? I'm really itching to find out what the reveal is.

Post-completion:
Opened up my save file from the selection screen, and I can't stop watching the Baby Metroid bob around the cockpit of the gunship. Everything about the Baby is great.
One thing I didn't think to check, as I didn't pop out to the save selection screen very often if at all, is whether the save-select animation there changes with your game progress or your completion state. That is, mine shows me with
the Baby and in the Gravity Suit (you see Samus from the back but can discern the colours on the arm), and I don't know if that's the way it is because it matches my in-game status on my last save, or if it matches my ending (I got the Gravity Suit for my slow, slow, slow completion time).

I'm still thinking about the late bosses in the game and how terrific all of them are.
Diggernaut and Queen
are right up there with the best fights in the series. Come to think of it, they might be the first side-scroller bosses to really feel like fights out of Prime—all about surviving long enough to learn how to read the cues and cycle through the pattern until something clicks about which tool you should use for the job (well, apart from
Ridley, whom you just blast to death and is all about reading and dodging—but even in that fight, as with the final SA-X fight in Fusion, I found that so much of it is about controlling the boss's positioning, like using the vertical downward projectile in Phase 3's air phase to push Ridley back and give yourself more room to jump around
). And every time you fail and go back, you figure out how to nail the early phases almost perfectly and minimize risk to yourself. It was so satisfying to
go from not knowing where to inflict damage in Diggernaut's Phase 3 to consistently bombing him out into the open in a single pass; or on the Queen, to go from "how the hell do I avoid that" on the green blob + fire wall combo to finding a precise Spider Ball positioning to dodge it on the ceiling and drop to safety.

tesqui

Took me like 10 attempts to finally understand what to do at a certain phase of an Area 6 boss. I wish more games did this. I can't remember the last time I've been stuck in a game. It's delightful, really.

This game has been phenomenal so far. It has completely exceeded my expectations. They really made an authentic new 2D Metroid.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Starting to get into the swing of of the game and I abuse the teleport to warp to area 2 as one of the teleport is near a save spot and it's easy to get there and back while killing weak enemies.

I am also picking up clue in the Metroid attack patterns, though I hate the one that run away completely breaks the flow of battle and just pads out the game.

I just finished up area 4 and just about to dive deeper down the drained pool, can someone tell me just how far away I am from obtaining the plasma beam?

Probably the only time that I have ever see Samus being "badass"

Does the game have any issues running on a regular 3DS?

No.

Top Bottom