• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Toxi

Banned
haha zero mission sold so badly they didn‘t make a 2D metroid for 13 years! ;) staying optimistic, though...
To be fair, Zero Mission's failure had basically Jack and shit to do with its Japanese performance. Like Prime 2 did far worse and yet it still well cleared Zero Mission worldwide by a healthy amount.

It's all about North America (and to a lesser extent, Europe) with Metroid post revival.

wwm0nkey

haha zero mission sold so badly they didn‘t make a 2D metroid for 13 years! ;) staying optimistic, though...

So far we have UK coming in a #8 for a region where Nitnendo usually doesn't do well and #3 in JP for a series that usually doesn't do well in Japan. So thats a positive look at it at least. I think US sales will be strong and hopefully EU is too

Hylian7

In my experience: It won't and 2D Metroid will have to take another long nap.

I hope I'm wrong.

I honestly think it will do well enough.

Riding on the fact that Metroid is back after all these years, the praise the game is getting overall, word of the game definitely gets around and I personally know lots of people who's radar it's on.

nubbe

Finally got the game today.
Killed 3 metroids so far and I'm really feeling it
The beginning feels familiar and yet so different. Pretty much what I wanted.

GeekyDad

I got mad, but that was because I was using the bombs rather than just shooting some blocks out, after that I was fine.

Dear Lord, that was so frustrating! Ugh...

Yeah,
shooting the first area helps a little, but I didn't notice a big difference. The gears chasing you seem to rubberband either way.
Anyway, finally got past that shit. Now my voice is hoarse from all the yelling... And I have my
space jump
, so worth it I guess.

wwm0nkey

I honestly think it will do well enough.

Riding on the fact that Metroid is back after all these years, the praise the game is getting overall, word of the game definitely gets around and I personally know lots of people who's radar it's on.

I think it will hit that 1mil life time mark at least

Voidwolf

Can someone explain the
spider ball
bomb jump trick I keep seeing mentioned? I tried everything I could think of and nothing made me jump higher.

Can someone explain the
spider ball
bomb jump trick I keep seeing mentioned? I tried everything I could think of and nothing made me jump higher.

Stay spiderballed on whatever surface you're on, and wait for the power bomb to blow up, you'll be launched then

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Downloaded the SR theme for the 3DS. First time I switched out the plain ol' background and this one looks pretty great. Metroid fanfare on opening is a nice bonus.

Don't the Metroid forms look a tad derpy and less alien in this game? The Omega Metroid in particular looks like an overgrown rat.

i6YmOE1.png

Admittedly, the original sprites for the Zeta and Omega form aren't that great either, but they were much more limited.

latest
Alpha and Gamma are still nightmare fuel to me, with.

The Metroid Fusion iteration of the Omega stage looks much better to me than Samus Returns'.

latest

I guess generally speaking there's something about the art direction and creature design that seems a bit off.

MoonFrog

In my experience: It won't and 2D Metroid will have to take another long nap.

I hope I'm wrong.
Same...

Though good is killed by a mediocre world more often than not :p. It is problematic.

The
baby
is pretty cute. I beat the
Queen
. Trying to get 100% and then I'll see what else there may be.

That other thread has been taunting me.

Also...every time I use
slow time
, I think of a certain room, located on the lower left corner of ZM's Norfair iirc. Jumping, gripping, and shooting missiles up from decaying blocks...*shudder*

Ability would've made that easier for sure :p

As to Omegas, I like those fights a lot. Samus doing that flip looks so good.

In general, glad I don't get sick of those extended animations in practice.

Finally powered through and beat the game last night. Whoa lord it's amazing. But for the love of fuck the 3DS is just not a comfortable controller solution for such a nuanced game. This demands a nice full controller with L and R triggers. Still I loved the game itself. Going to start through hard mode now.

Hylian7

Regarding a certain late game boss:
Diggernaut. I had no idea until I read it on Twitter a litttle while ago that you could just spider ball to leave bombs and not get sucked up! I did it by rolling ahead of the vacuum and dropping bombs and it would suck them in.

emb

Diggernaut. I had no idea until I read it on Twitter a litttle while ago that you could just spider ball to leave bombs and not get sucked up! I did it by rolling ahead of the vacuum and dropping bombs and it would suck them in.
I didn't figure that out at first either. Would have made the whole thing a lot less scary.

Opa-Pa

Looking forward to reading your impressions after you're done with it Moonfrog. The late half of the game is the highlight, IMO.

God I enjoyed this game so much, I don't know what to do now that I completed it on normal haha. Guess I'll wait for my amiibo to start Fusion mode.

Wow, it didn't occur to me you could do both at all.
I did use the spider ball against Queen Metroid when she did the thing though. The way this game's bosses integrate your different abilities is so damn cool, it reminds of Prime.

Toxi

Banned
Don't the Metroid forms look a tad derpy and less alien in this game? The Omega Metroid in particular looks like an overgrown rat.

Admittedly, the original sprites for the Zeta and Omega form aren't that great either, but they were much more limited.

The Metroid Fusion iteration of the Omega stage looks much better to me than Samus Returns'.

I guess generally speaking there's something about the art direction and creature design that seems a bit off.
I actually immensely prefer the Samus Returns Omega. The Fusion Omega is basically a theropod dinosaur, while the Samus Returns Omega has more unusual proportions that feel fitting for the hulking final evolution of a parasitic alien.

And when you compare their respective animations and sounds, there is no competition. What the fuck were they thinking with that scream in Fusion?

Voidwolf

i6YmOE1.png

latest

Shit dude why is that image not spoiler tagged... Is that what the final boss is?

I love the art direction in this game, no complaints about the Metroid designs here.

Just 100%'d the game, took me 12 hours, loved every minute. I really hope this team comes back to make Metroid 5 for Switch.

CuNi

Wait, whaaaaaa.....

gweemz

Same here. I knew what to do but I kept
getting sucked in while laying bombs and dying.
When i looked it up I felt like an idiot for not thinking to do that. Made the fight much easier after that.

emb

I'm talking about the image with the sprites of metroid forms and the
Queen
from the original Metroid II. I've never played that game so I don't know what to expect.
Ohh, gotcha.

Direct answer to 'is that the last boss':
----No.-----

Actual spoilers for this game:
She was the last fight of Metroid II, but this game has an extra surprise.

Not sure if you were really looking for an answer though. For what it's worth, all the Metroid II forms got a nice overhaul in this game.

Hylian7

I just realized something.

The melee countering reminds me of Rhythm Heaven with the movements and cues.

Sakamoto worked on Rhythm Heaven.

Sakamoto worked on this game.

Shit dude why is that image not spoiler tagged... Is that what the final boss is?

It's something that was in the original game, but is the final boss of a different game (not this or the original).

On that note, are we considering Metroid II stuff spoilers?

Toxi

Banned
END OF GAME BOSS SPOILERS

It feels so satisfying to pull down the Metroid Queen with the Grapple Beam, roll through her open mouth and throat and into her gut with the Morph Ball, and lay a Power Bomb. Mercury Steam took one of the most bullshit moments of Other M and made it fun and interactive and the best part is that, like the original Metroid 2, some players never even realized that option existed on their first playthrough.

I'm talking about the image with the sprites of metroid forms and the
Queen
from the original Metroid II. I've never played that game so I don't know what to expect.

Sorry then, I put it in spoilers now.

Thing is, people have been talking about more significant spoilers pertaining to Samus Returns without spoiler tags for a couple pages now and I didn't see anyone complaining.

When I first started playing this I was thrown off quite a bit. The 3DS screen is terrible, so there was a good bit of ghosting everywhere. The controls felt weird. Movement did not feel quite right. I was disappointed.

5 hours later and I no longer notice ghosting, controls are fine, and I cannot wait to keep playing. So alright I guess :)

Chitown B

I bought this and I do want to play it..... but I can't be arsed to use my 3DS. ugh. After the switch, I kinda hate that thing. Hard to hold. And it's an XL. I have huge hands.

Top Bottom