• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

I'm not sure why but I'm just not feeling the game like I thought I would. I know I don't like the melee mechanic and not a fan of using the circle pad for movement, would rather stick to the traditional D-Pad.

Jaymageck

Beat the game today.

Pros: Great combat, nailed the Metroid atmosphere, excellent use of 3d, fun new powerups (aeons), creative and engaging boss fights and a good, satisfying difficulty level.

Cons: No
Speed Booster
, disappointing
Metroid Queen music
, pretty linear gameplay (there should have been more cases where a needed powerup was in an old area) and I wish they adopted the zero mission endorsement of sequence breaking.

It's now my third favourite Metroid sidescroller after Super and Zero Mission. I do think I'll replay it less though due to the relative linearity.

Is there ever a reason to manually equip the Grapple Beam? It's never more efficient than just using free aim Grappling, so I'm wondering if there's another utility I'm missing. It makes a pretty crappy weapon.

Opa-Pa

Beat the game in 9 hours with 60% item completion.

That was flippin' amazing, it's extremely impressive to me how they nailed almost everything. I think my only complaints would be enemy variety being strangely underwhelming, most of the game having very samey environments, and that they completely changed the original final boss music for no reason, and that one was my favorite song in the game!

But yeah, game is very, very good and definitely my new second favorite 2D Metroid behind Super. The combat was excellent, the level of control over Samus movement was great, the bosses are the best in the series by a long shot, the way they adapted the original music is brilliant, the few cutscenes make Samus look like the complete boss most of the fanbase always interpreted her as, and all the new content was good.

And about that final boss
I did get spoiled about Ridley so it was clear he was going to appear after Queen Metroid, but as a guy who's seen nearly every Ridley comeback in the series as lame and unnecessary... I loved this! The battle was awesome, the context made sense, and after Other M a battle against Ridley where Samus looks fearless and powerful was extremely needed. And damn, that great foreshadowing in SR388's surface with that Super Zebes remix.

But yeah, game is fantastic. GOTY contender for me. After having so much fun and seeing the incredible late game environments, I seriously cannot wait for Metroid 5 to be developed by MS... I hope the game sells decently to get there.

Now to get 100% completion and find out about that final Chozo memory.

rekameohs

Banned
Is there ever a reason to manually equip the Grapple Beam? It's never more efficient than just using free aim Grappling, so I'm wondering if there's another utility I'm missing. It makes a pretty crappy weapon.
......I did not know free aim automatically grappled. Damn.

So I just got to area 3 and besides the recognizable music in area 2/lava section (which is from Prime) all the new music has been VERY underwhelming and generally muted. Please tell me it gets better! I want some Super Metroid quality tunes.

jwhit28

So I just got to area 3 and besides the recognizable music in area 2/lava section (which is from Prime) all the new music has been VERY underwhelming and generally muted. Please tell me it gets better! I want some Super Metroid quality tunes.

It gets better, but mostly because of more throwbacks.

Jaymageck

There are some good new ones, especially some late game boss tracks. FYI the game music was mostly composed by a new guy (Daisuke Matsuoka) under direction of Kenji Yamamoto (long time series composer).

Also that lava music actually originates from Super Metroid, not Prime.

Oidisco

Honestly the music doesn't get any better. You get another Super Metroid remix later but there's no original melodic music in this game. It's still the worst part about Samus Returns for me

Freddo

Wish I i could play this on my TV, with my pro controller, and then take it to work on a 720 screen

Man switch has me spoiled
Same. The circle pad makes my thumb sore after a while, I would prefer to play the game on a normal controller. Love the game so far, just wish it was available on some other platform.

Toxi

Banned
That was flippin' amazing, it's extremely impressive to me how they nailed almost everything. I think my only complaints would be enemy variety being strangely underwhelming, most of the game having very samey environments, and that they completely changed the original final boss music for no reason, and that one was my favorite song in the game!
Yeah, they missed a golden opportunity. Imagine if we had gotten something like this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YzctbJu46nI

MoonFrog

(Area 6)
Confused about the robot boss...I've gotten him to his last stage and tried a) countering his arms when they come down (could be mistiming that, so perhaps that is what I'm supposed to do), b) shooting missiles into the vortex (perhaps that is hurting him but I see no indication of such), c) shooting at him (and missing when he does lasers), and d) trying to get sucked up as a morphball so I could, hypothetically spider on his exposed face (this doesn't work)...

Idk. I kind of want to figure it out. Maybe I will. Also a bit lost as the above illustrates :p. Help would be appreciated though, even if I decide to refuse to read it.

Liked the Metroid fights so far in this area though. I'm thinking this game does really have a better back half. I've always liked it but it seems to have gotten better. I really loved area 5.

As to Opa-Pa's comment on the enemy variety...yeah, that was getting to me in the earlier zones. I feel it diversified more starting in area 3. That's when I stopped being tired of how many of those counter bats there were. Still it is generally fairly low.

Neiteio

(Area 6)
Confused about the robot boss...I've gotten him to his last stage and tried a) countering his arms when they come down (could be mistiming that, so perhaps that is what I'm supposed to do), b) shooting missiles into the vortex (perhaps that is hurting him but I see no indication of such), c) shooting at him (and missing when he does lasers), and d) trying to get sucked up as a morphball so I could, hypothetically spider on his exposed face (this doesn't work)...

Idk. I kind of want to figure it out. Maybe I will. Also a bit lost as the above illustrates :p. Help would be appreciated though, even if I decide to refuse to read it.
Remember the times you encountered walls that suck in your bombs? HMMM...

Toxi

Banned
(Area 6)

What is the only weapon you haven't tried?

Astral Dog

Just started and got up to Area 2, feels good :^) though i can see it getting repetitive in terms of environments, music and enemies. The Areas need to feel more distinctive.

I dont have any problem with the Circle Pad

Toxi

Banned
Just started and got up to Area 2, feels good :^) though i can see it getting repetitive in terms of environments, music and enemies. The Areas need to feel more distinctive.
I feel Area 2, 3, 5, and 7 are the better ones when it comes to feeling distinctive. They've got the most interesting themes for the backgrounds, and areas 3 and 7 have some enemy theming.

The biggest thing this game needed to distinguish the areas was unique tile sets.The backgrounds change a lot, but the foreground doesn't.

MoonFrog

Do enemies hack you in any of the 2D-series Metroids? Maybe Other M (haven't played that)? I don't recall it in the others.

When that one robot does it here I always think of the Prime 2 guys that did it. Yellow rectangles look like those monster too.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
Just beat it. Overall, it was fun. My main gripes are the linearity of the campaign and just feeling like backtracking wasn't worth it (rarely was it anything besides
a missile upgrade
). Also didn't love how hard enemies hit, but that's a personal problem. I'm one of those folks who loves to feel overpowered in a game, and I rarely felt that way here.

Also, I think this game made me realize I'm growing tired of bosses. I realize more and more that what draws me to Metroid is exploring and finding upgrades and feeling the world open up. Enemies are fine and even tougher ones here and there are great, but lengthy boss battles are not for me. It's always what pulls me away from the Souls games because I love exploring those worlds, but I haaaaate fighting the bosses. I loved the earlier bosses, but as the game progressed, the later ones felt like a slog.
The last two bosses really tried my patience, especially Ridley as he felt like such a bullet sponge. Doable but trying to hold the 3DS and fight him was not fun for my hand or my temper

But yeah, happy to have the game. Obviously not my favorite in the franchise, but still a good time. Hopefully it portends good things for the series (but on the Switch, please. My hands are killing me).

Also: parrying is something I hope sticks around. So satisfying.

I feel Area 2, 3, 5, and 7 are the better ones when it comes to feeling distinctive. They've got the most interesting themes for the backgrounds, and areas 3 and 7 have some enemy theming.

The biggest thing this game needed to distinguish the areas was unique tile sets.The backgrounds change a lot, but the foreground doesn't.
Area 4 seemed fairly distinct to me. Most of the background was icy. The structure of that area was different from the prior three areas. Also there's that one sequence to get the space jumps that is pretty different from everything else in the game. Also agreed the foreground assets are all really similar and in some cases identical.

Hylian7

I got to to final boss tonight and tried many times with failure. Question regarding the final boss:
I can get to the third form fairly consistently, but some of those attacks are so hard to dodge. Also, is there anything you can do when he grabs you and just slams you against the wall?
I never have survived it. My strategy so far is to use all my Aeion in rapid fire, then if that doesn't get through the first form, use super missiles. Repeat for second form, and I am usually out of Super missiles by the third form, but the regular beam works then.

Neiteio

Game world has a pretty cool progression.
The surface caves are full of vegetation and give way to ancient Chozo ruins, then an elaborate system of dams and aqueducts and resevoirs that sustained the Chozo, and then an excavation site with mining robots boring new tunnels, and then crystal caves, etc. I like the idea that the Chozo sealed the Metroids in each area by flooding the passageways with poison and controlling the flood levels with DNA gates, the idea being they'd return at some point to systematically purge each layer, each gate unlocking and draining the next area when the current area is clear, making a potential purge much more manageable while preventing Metroids from spreading across the planet.

I got to to final boss tonight and tried many times with failure. Question regarding the final boss:
I can get to the third form fairly consistently, but some of those attacks are so hard to dodge. Also, is there anything you can do when he grabs you and just slams you against the wall?
I never have survived it. My strategy so far is to use all my Aeion in rapid fire, then if that doesn't get through the first form, use super missiles. Repeat for second form, and I am usually out of Super missiles by the third form, but the regular beam works then.

Might as well share my approach, although it's slow and defensive and is built around staying alive while wearing the boss down patiently.

My objective in Phase 1 and 2 was to get to Phase 3 with as much health as possible, and I knew from my first few attempts that Aeion gets restored between phases, so I switched on the Lightning Shield the entire time and attacked entirely with the Plasma Beam. In terms of damage output, this method is slow, which means you have to get through cycle after cycle of the attack pattern and reliably avoid damage, but it lets you focus entirely on reading the pattern.

In the air phases, this fight is all about watching the tail. Tail points up—stay on the ground and get ready to dodge the blue projectile spray. Tail points down—that's a stab (and if it stays in the ground in Phase 2 and 3, it's followed by the forward sweep), so get up in the air right away and be prepared to gain height above Ridley's head, just in case.

For Phase 3, you just have to dodge the slam, as it hits like a truck. If you see Ridley take a forward dashing pose slightly above the ground, Space Jump/Screw Attack up above the level of his head right away. Always stay prepared for this to happen. The other technique here, in Phase 3's air phase, is to use Ridley's downward blue projectile as an opportunity to push him back and reposition him, as he keeps a constant distance from you when firing. Ground phases are easy: jump over the projectiles, don't get clawed, and jump over Ridley if he pushes you back too far with his swipes.

One of the keys to this fight is to stay in the centre as much as you can, near the gunship. This means jumping over Ridley and turning him around if you get too close to the wall. You always want to keep plenty of space between your back and the wall so you have enough room to Space Jump/Screw Attack up, which involves a bit of right/left movement because of how the inputs work. When Ridley descends from air to ground, I find there isn't reliably enough room or time to slip under him, so I always made sure I had enough room to back up while staying in front of him, or jump over him without getting pressed against the wall.

All damage on this fight is avoidable so long as you control your spacing and stay prepared to gain elevation above Ridley at any moment. The rest is just shooting, although in Phase 3 there is a melee counter opportunity too.

poodaddy

Gold Member
So I just bought this even though I don't have time to play it just to show Nintendo my support for the return of real Metroid. I really hope this sells well and that more 2D Metroid is coming.

RPS37

Try to charge shot an ice beam under it and then pummel its face with missiles.
Thanks. That was way easier than what I was doing.
Really liking the way I'm playing this game. Just doing short burst of like 20-30 mins.
Also I never played fusion or zero mission but this game seems almost about as good as Super Metroid.

Opa-Pa

Got that sweet 100% and

Holy shit.

Game world has a pretty cool progression.
The surface caves are full of vegetation and give way to ancient Chozo ruins, then an elaborate system of dams and aqueducts and resevoirs that sustained the Chozo, and then an excavation site with mining robots boring new tunnels, and then crystal caves, etc. I like the idea that the Chozo sealed the Metroids in each area by flooding the passageways with poison and controlling the flood levels with DNA gates, the idea being they'd return at some point to systematically purge each layer, each gate unlocking and draining the next area when the current area is clear, making a potential purge much more manageable while preventing Metroids from spreading across the planet.

If you appreciate details like this then boy, you're in for a treat. Make sure you go for 100% completion eventually.

Assuming you haven't already that is.

He's a bit overwhelming at first, but after three tries I got through his different phases barely getting hit at all and without using anything but the regular beam. You mostly want to dodge his flames without jumping, just positioning yourself accordingly on the ground. When he points his tail at you, he'll attack you with it, and when he touches the ground with it or prepares his claw to grab you, just hover over him with space jumps (he gives you more than enough time).

When he's on the ground, whenever he prepares his claws for different attack,s just space jump out of his way. The regular attack has a follow up one and the one where his claw shines takes a bit longer to start.

After a while you'll get to a point where the baby helps you draining his energy,
after that animation he'll immediately use a move that can be countered for great damage. Manage to counter it twice and he's done for.

ramparter

Banned
Wish I i could play this on my TV, with my pro controller, and then take it to work on a 720 screen

Man switch has me spoiled
I know. I'm occupied with other games right now so I'm skipping this for now hoping there may be a switch version. And honestly I wouldn't care if they kept exactly the same graphics and only bumped the resolution.

Opa-Pa

Results screen spoilers I guess?

Ugh, I was under the impression we were past the stupid "the faster you beat the game the sexier the Samus you get at the end!" tradition, but nope, that's what the ZSS model was for in the end. And here I was happy it was just for the game over animation.

Goddammit Nintendo.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Getting the varia suit was a great little moment, now when I look at the screen it really feels like Metroid Prime 2D for some reason.

I think this game looks great with the 3D effect. The layers in the background with machines, creatures, structures and even falling debris... Love the detail in that.

Liking the game more as it goes on. Now that I have the
wave beam
I don't have to bother with the melee counter that much, at least in areas with weaker enemies. Against regular enemies the counter does start to lose some of its punch and feels a bit repetitive.

As an owner of an original 3DS XL (I mean, not the New 3DS XL) do I need to be aware of any additional slowdown or issues in running this game? I will be playing with the 3D effect fully on, as I usually do with all 3DS games. I believe there are only a handful of games on the system with notable differences on the newer, faster console. But I just wanted to inquire about this specific title. Thanks.

Opa-Pa

As an owner of an original 3DS XL (I mean, not the New 3DS XL) do I need to be aware of any additional slowdown or issues in running this game? I will be playing with the 3D effect fully on, as I usually do with all 3DS games. I believe there are only a handful of games on the system with notable differences on the newer, faster console. But I just wanted to inquire about this specific title. Thanks.

It does get a few frame rate dips here and there on OG3DS, even without the 3D on.

GeekyDad

Just started working Area 4, and the new creatures definitely seem to quell the repetition of the counter-attack, as well as regular attacks in general. I'm very glad to see that. Definitely forcing me to manage my aeon energy a little better.

L176

While I do not have the game yet but seeing the overall impression, could we be talking about a long term relationship between Nintendo and Mercurysteam? What do you think?

GeekyDad

While I do not have the game yet but seeing the overall impression, could we be talking about a long term relationship between Nintendo and Mercurysteam? What do you think?

God, I hope so. They're obviously a talented team. They just need the right direction.

-shadow-

Even in the New models there are a couple of drops, it seems they never bothered using any of the additional hardware capabilities so your good to go.

Top Bottom