• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Shannon Says He Fell Asleep Watching 'Batman v Superman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrest

formerly nacire
I fell asleep at the theater while watching Ang Lee's Hulk. Dozed right through the last half of the movie.

Evo X

He's one of the lucky ones. I watched every minute of this dumpster fire opening night with an audience that never clapped, laughed or cheered once. Everyone left the theater like they were leaving a funeral.

Superman died! Of course they left like that.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Title of the article should've been "Michael Shannon falls asleep while in the middle of an international flight, as Batman v. Superman played in background"

But I guess it's a less zippy headline :p
Hey man, if all you've got is a nonstory you need some clickbait to get people reading.

that's probably the biggest clapping scene ever.

No, I think this one was

MWc9K1U.gif

Selective bolding there. His reason is why I don't like watching some movies for the first time on a plane. Although, sometimes you choose one you don't think you'd like but it's 17 Again and it is actually all right and Tom Lennon is delightful in it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Can't blame him, the movie was riddle with problems was so heavy hand with its preachy message.

It also wasted Zod and Doomday.

And the British audience that I watched Civil War with.

I ensure you that British folks clapping at the end of the movies isn't a common thing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
No, I think this one was

MWc9K1U.gif

OMG. That was the biggest pop I've ever heard from a theater audience in my entire life. People were laughing so hard afterwards that I didn't find out what the next 2 minutes of dialogue was until it came out on dvd.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If Luke caught it, then yes.
Fuck that. That would be fanfiction levels of terrible. They nailed that moment, (not only because of how well placed it is), but because of what it represents. Hence the absolutely cathartic reaction from the audience.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've only fallen asleep once during a film and it was the midnight release of Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Still not sure how I pulled that off.

I've fallen asleep in the theater a lot. I sleep well at a slight incline and with a terribly boring movie.

Most recently was the second Hobbit movie, which did me in something fierce.

kswiston

Falling asleep doesn't necessarily make a film bad. Sometimes you just go to the theatre more tired than you ought to. I fell asleep during the "Goldeneye" segment of Inception, and I liked that film.

No, I think this one was

MWc9K1U.gif

My showing went nuts during that scene as well. It was a midnight showing full of geeks though.

SeanTSC

Title of the article should've been "Michael Shannon falls asleep while in the middle of an international flight, as Batman v. Superman played in background"

But I guess it's a less zippy headline :p

Yeah, definitely less zippy. I fell asleep watching it as well - at home about halfway through while giving it a second chance with the extended cut (so it was just longer and even more boring than the theater).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The only time ive ever seen anyone go crazy cheering was the ending of Diggstown and the ending of Die Hard
When the cop shoots the guy
. Die Hard i saw at a drive-in and the horns were going off like mad lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The most intense amount of clapping in a movie was when Mrs Carmody gets it in the Mist.

This clapping in a Cinema really isn't a thing in the UK.

At the start of movies we normally have messages telling the audience to be quiet and be absorbed by the movie.

Missing a piece if dialogue cause the audience were cheering and clapping would annoy the fuck outta me.

UK midnight release audience for Star Wars TFA was real lively. Cheering when the title scroll started, when Han and Chewie appeared, when Leia and Threepio appeared, when R2 appeared and just one big collective gasp at the scene in the quoted gif below and when Luke appeared.
I get chills even seeing a gif of this because the music starts playing in my head.

this is still the best answer Shannon has had about Batman vs Superman

Michael Shannon
I’m so utterly unconcerned with the outcome of that fight. So profoundly, utterly unconcerned. I can’t even come up with a fake answer. I guess I have to root for Superman because he killed me, so I would hope that he would continue his killing spree and become like a serial killer Superman. That’s a new take on Superman. We’d all be in a heap of trouble if Superman was a serial killer. He could just wipe us all out. But then he’d be lonely.

Isn’t he already lonely?
Well, we’re all lonely.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This clapping in a Cinema really isn't a thing in the UK.

At the start of movies we normally have messages telling the audience to be quiet and be absorbed by the movie.

Missing a piece if dialogue cause the audience were cheering and clapping would annoy the fuck outta me.

It isn't a common thing. I've only see it at big moments in genre movies. Midnight opening, nerd films that have extremely enthusiastic audiences. The type of people that clap for the title card of something. It gets you into it, I remember there being audible gasps in unison during the big lightsaber moment in Force Awakens. That combined with the scene gave me chills.

What's starting to get weird is the clapping for a movie after it's done. For a real crowd pleaser, I'd sorta get it. These people are trying to express their satisfaction for the movie in some way even though the creators aren't there. But when people start clapping at the end of Suicide Squad or Batman v Superman, I had to just shake my head and leave as soon as possible. The bar is so low that your movie gets claps because it had comic characters in it now.

WillyFive

I had to walk out and walk around a bit during the early parts of the movie, it could not hold my attention at all. When I came back, turns out I ended up skipping the part with Jimmy Olsen, but had no regrets. By the end, it was just a bafflingly terrible movie,

The moment we were robbed of a minority lead in the world's biggest movie franchise :(

Still hype though.

In movies like these, women are a minority. Like, by far.

Anung

Un Rama
There's only one way this ends, Kal. Either you sleep, or I do.

I fell asleep during The Winter Soldier on a flight to Japan. No film is good enough to negate sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom