• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

The numbering scheme is odd but I like the start menu. Honestly it should have been part of the 8.1 update. 8.1 is an awesome stable os, the start menu returning and running metro apps in a window is all that's needed. And seeing the talk of chromebooks in this thread lol. Don't make me laugh, android as a desktop os would have been better than chrome os at this point. It needs a bit more time in the oven imho before it could remotely even be considered a replacement for a windows/mac/linux pc. the hardware price point is about the only attractive point of a chromebook.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It will be great, 8.1 is amazing if you can deal with its dual interface. If they can keep the stability and speed and fix the interface problems like it looks like they can, it will be amazing

The numbering scheme is odd but I like the start menu. Honestly it should have been part of the 8.1 update. 8.1 is an awesome stable os, the start menu returning and running metro apps in a window is all that's needed. And seeing the talk of chromebooks in this thread lol. Don't make me laugh, android as a desktop os would have been better than chrome os at this point. It needs a bit more time in the oven imho before it could remotely even be considered a replacement for a windows/mac/linux pc. the hardware price point is about the only attractive point of a chromebook.

The main thing I think needs fixing is the dual apps for both metro and desktop. Its really annoying having two alternate apps. And its even more annoying when you just want to play a podcast but are greeted to some Spotify-styled xbox live thing.

so is their a touch mode that activate the w8 style start menu or is it always there? i really dont want the charms bar/w8 start menu
If you're using mouse and keyboard then the start menu would be active. There is a checkable option to use the start screen instead. As for the charms bar we don't know yet until people get their hands on it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So is this version actually designed around a mouse or is it still touch screen shite?

Is it me or do the new icons suck? They look rudimentary and dated[file explorer icon,etc] Nice to see the start menu back and i hope compatibility is really good with Windows 10.

orava

So is this version actually designed around a mouse or is it still touch screen shite?

Well windows 8 has worked perfectly with m+kb for me and the desktop is better than 7 so i don't see any problems here. 10 also has touch support but it's more like a responsive thing now and ui changes based on what you are using.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Considering Windows 7 was actually Windows 6.1, and Windows 8 was 6.2, and Windows 8.1 was 6.3... whatever ok, this can be Windows 10.

Whatever.

I like the direction they're going in FWIW.

Jobiensis

Considering Windows 7 was actually Windows 6.1, and Windows 8 was 6.2, and Windows 8.1 was 6.3... whatever ok, this can be Windows 10.

Whatever.

I like the direction they're going in FWIW.

I didn't even realize the revved 8.1 as 6.3, pretty pointless, but

6.4 = Windows 10

6+4 = 10

Anustart

I remember back to the iPhone 4 pre-reveal days and a ton of people here were adamant that it would be named the iPhone 5. Now we got people upset that a number has been skipped. It's anarchy.

It looks great to me. I already like 8.1 a lot, and I know I will love 10 more.

It is great it has better mouse support, but I wonder if it still has strong touch screen functionality, since I (and many tablet users) have touch screens. But either way, this is going on my desktop and my laptop.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Everything about this looks like Windows 8.2 - it's another bunch of relatively tiny tweaks just like 8.1 was.

It makes the skip to 10 all that more undeserved.... but I get it. They're running away from Windows 8, so why not add a number for that extra little bit of "get me away from that sinking ship" marketing.

This is not the "redesigned from the ground up" experience i want from Windows right now, and is implied by the big 1-0 name. On the other hand, Yosemite is that for Mac. Right now I'd hope for something that looks like those minimalist Windows concepts floating around the last 10 years. This just looks like more shit grafted onto 7/8, no cohesive design.

Majine

Banned
I hope they can make a unified look because bringing that metro into the desktop environment is sort of jarring.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Just watched the videos, some of it reminds me of OS X. Multiple desktops, the app overview thing, Internet results with search. Looks way better than 8.

Joyful

so they de-emphasized metro which is good
and made alt+tab a button, ok then
multiple desktops from linux, ok makes sense

where are any major advancements though
new filesystem
tabs in file explorer
they are playing it safe

Top Bottom