• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

The Flash

Banned
the-count.jpg

I really hope they finish up the homogenisation of the menus. Right now it's a bit of a horrible Frankenstein of redundant menus in some cases, often with different but overlapping features. Similarly, I hope they go back to the Win7 way of handling folder permissions, as well as the old over-write dialogue. Those are the things that make me feel all cosy when I go back to Win 7.

I feel like they are taking a long time to release this because they want to spend alot of time on UI polish and usability testing with the prerelease users. I'd expect this to be the uniform release visually since xp.

I'm confused about why an Internet of Things device would want to use Windows - given their limited functionality and typically very limited human interfacing, as well as the licensing costs, I can't think of a single instance when its use would be better than some uber lightweight linux distro with just exactly what the device needs.

Great, we get to wait another year to get the Start Menu back, and they're still going to shoehorn some tiles into it.

Maybe by then Chrome OS will be a better alternative.

jstripes

Banned
I'm confused about why an Internet of Things device would want to use Windows - given their limited functionality and typically very limited human interfacing, as well as the licensing costs, I can't think of a single instance when its use would be better than some uber lightweight linux distro with just exactly what the device needs.

So some grubby neckbeard doesn't have to change the programming routine he's been doing for 20 years.

Great, we get to wait another year to get the Start Menu back, and they're still going to shoehorn some tiles into it.

Could you try to explain how Chrome OS could possibly be any better? In a year, the only thing that will probably be different with Chrome OS will be Android apps running on it, aka mobile apps on a desktop OS. Sound familiar? Like another OS you already know that did this and failed at it?

If you want a better free alternative run Ubuntu or something. Chrome OS will always be for things like machines at libraries or secondary computers for those who hate fingerslabs.

"Guys! Guys! They're calling it PlayStation 3! We need a '3'!…I got it! Xbox 360!"

"Guys! Guys! They're calling it OS 10.10! We need a '10'!…I got it! Windows 10!"

Could you try to explain how Chrome OS could possibly be any better? In a year, the only thing that will probably be different with Chrome OS will be Android apps running on it, aka mobile apps on a desktop OS. Sound familiar? Like another OS you already know that did this and failed at it?

They've already got a few Android apps that you can get on Chrome OS right now.

As more stuff moves to the web, the need for a desktop OS diminishes for most people. So it's not really new features, but the continuation of a trend that will make Chrome OS better.

I actually would have gotten a Chromebook if there was a device that had a lot of internal storage so that I could chroot into a usable Linux desktop when I needed to. But I bought a Windows laptop this year instead, so I'm stuck with it for a while. Starting to think that was a big mistake.

Jobiensis

I'm really excited for this, it does seem like they listened to the people complaining rather than the small but vocal supporters.

Ctl-V in a command line should've been done a long time ago, but them fixing it now gives me more optimism they actually looked at how people used the OS, rather than telling them how to use the OS.

Now, they just need to fix the version numbers. They probably won't so Win10 will be 6.3 or maybe 7.0. ugh

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just watched the demo video... looks like I'm finally gonna upgrade from Windows 7.

SPDIF

Well Windows for IoT obviously isn't the same as usual Windows for PCs, it's significantly lighter.

Also:

dlYLAu1.png

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
They actually said that on stage..

"What should the name of the new Windows be?"

"It wouldn't be right to call it Windows 9."

"Windows One"

"But unfortunately, Windows 1 has been done."

Well so has Xbox 1. Microsoft is full of dumbassery.

jelly

Metro app tiles are still pretty horrible and in the start menu it doesn't look any better.

UI not final of course but don't see them doing anything major with those. What could they do other than not being a rainbow.

The stated goal is to have the same OS across all Microsoft devices. Okay, that's fine. But giving a number to that is nauseating. What's going to happen when we get 11? Having to explain how some stuff is on Win10 and others Win11 would be a massive pain in the ass. Not as annoying as trying to explain to people that they're just skipping 9, but still a pain. Which begs the question, if they're still going to have number mix-matchings between future versions why not just start with 9?

I give up.

Just call it "Windows" if you're going to be universal. Christ. "Windows One" ("the all-in-one Windows platform"!) would also be a legitimately better choice.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So what is Windows 9? Is it actually Windows version 6.4?

And is Windows 10 actually Windows version 7.0?

saskayzx

Neo Member
10 = X = Windows XP2... I see what you did there Microsoft.

silliness aside I am glad that it is free to upgrade from Windows 8 as this OS is just garbage even with the 8.1 update.

Guri

Keep in mind that MS has changed a lot since they appointed their new CEO. Windows 8.1 Update 1 was delivered through Windows Update (Ballmer wanted the Windows Store), Phil Spencer was appointed responsible for Xbox and Nadella decided to improve the desktop (with Windows 8.1 updates and Windows 10). Xbox One was under Ballmer's direction. Windows 10 is under Nadella's direction. Different strategies.

Also, you can unpin every Live Tile and use the Start Screen if you prefer.

Top Bottom