• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Xbox One and Windows 10. Wonderful. You can't make stuff like this up. Hopefully it's a good OS so I can update my Win7-rig.

i'm more excited by the OS X.X changes vs Windows X. I don't know what to feel, Windows 2000 was the best version of windows, everything else has been a giant fuck up except for 7 i liked 7

Road

Should be called "Real Windows 8" because that's what Microsoft should've released 2 years ago but didn't because the world biggest idiot who decided to shut his ears and ignore all the feedback from the technical preview users.

Hopefully this time they'll listen to the feedback before the release, in case there's something terrible in Windows 10.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Considering how much has changed underneath the hood, that's unfair to say.

I am basing this entirely on their design paradigms and what they've shown in the video. I haven't gone through some of the technical details yet, but I am thinking purely in terms of UI and design: They grafted the Metro onto the Desktop with 8, now they're renegotiating the relationship between Modern/Classic elements.... at this point they should be rethinking how desktop and modern elments look and work entirely, and design something that feels unified. It really just looks like another Frankenstein design grafted on top of 7.

If they have done work under the hood, that's appreciated, but everything on the surface looks half baked. More compromises between the legacies of 7 and 8... no original design thinking that unifies the two or does its own thing.

I think they've dug themself into a hole with Win 8 - now the market is forcing them back to Win 7 paradigms - so it's a design based on compromise after compromise between the two. This isn't a confidant new vision - it's an iterative retreat.

Tablo

^keep in mind this is a technical preview not a consumer aesthetic overhaul, they explicitly made that clear, not sure how you missed that when giving a scathing review of this preview.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If this is late 2015, it's still early to speak about esthetics.

You're saying we can't have a conversation about skin care?? ;)

Regardless, there's been little differences between the early previews of previous Windows releases and the final build. I don't expect an overhaul of the aesthetics at all... just tweaks.

^keep in mind this is a technical preview not a consumer aesthetic overhaul, they explicitly made that clear, not sure how you missed that when giving a scathing review of this preview.

They made clear that it was a technical preview... but did they said that aesthetics didn't matter?

The look of the Windows Technical Preview a few years ago = The look of the Final Windows 8

And I'm pretty sure people were saying "don't worry, the Vista icons will be changed" back then too.

They aren't releasing the start menu as a seperate update anymore. Instead you get Windows 10 for free.
Oh yeah, I know that. But with the hubbub that was made around the start menu for Windows 8 announcement, you can't be too surprised when people are still waiting for it that don't know that it got pushed back. Do we know for sure about getting W10 for free yet? I mean I guess the preview builds could count... :p

You're saying we can't have a conversation about skin care?? ;)

Regardless, there's been little differences between the early previews of previous Windows releases and the final build. I don't expect an overhaul of the aesthetics at all... just tweaks.

They made clear that it was a technical preview... but did they said that aesthetics didn't matter?

The look of the Windows Technical Preview a few years ago = The look of the Final Windows 8

And I'm pretty sure people were saying "don't worry, the Vista icons will be changed" back then too.

...What? This is factually wrong. Sure, the Consumer Preview or Release Candidates builds don't change dramatically between the final version, but this build is even earlier than those stages. Consumer preview probably won't be until early next year, which is when the near final UI will be in the builds.

Just as an example, here's what an early build of Windows 8 looked like.

1694d1316108294-windows-8-developer-preview-release-untitled.png

This is what Windows 7 looked like early on.

You can do this for every Windows release going back to the beginning. The UI will almost definitely change before it releases next year.

Chill, settings have just been moved to a right click of the button instead of a left click... and that right click stores a hell of a lot more usefull settings. Everything else is already there

Oh yeah, I know that. But with the hubbub that was made around the start menu for Windows 8 announcement, you can't be too surprised when people are still waiting for it that don't know that it got pushed back. Do we know for sure about getting W10 for free yet? I mean I guess the preview builds could count... :p
It was already confirmed in a thread yesterday

Ape

Banned
For everyone that has a problem with what's being shown right now, this is literally what the preview program is for. They want feedback to make Windows 10 better before release. If you are seriously thinking about upgrading to 10 then use it and tell Microsoft what you like/don't like.

orava

For everyone that has a problem with what's being shown right now, this is literally what the preview program is for. They want feedback to make Windows 10 better before release. If you are seriously thinking about upgrading to 10 then use it and tell Microsoft what you like/don't like.

Exactly. And it's not just something like a big patch every three months. Apparently you have access to weekly or even daily builds and updates. They seem to aim to be quite open about this.

Juice

I wish Microsoft would quit pre-announcing that's a year or more away from release.

Windows 10 is coming in late-2015? Great, show it to us a couple of months ahead of that when it's actually a real, working product.

zou

any chance they are going to fix the blurry fonts? love everything I've been hearing about Windows 10, but gray scale anti aliasing on a regular LCD is horrible.

Guri

I wish Microsoft would quit pre-announcing that's a year or more away from release.

Windows 10 is coming in late-2015? Great, show it to us a couple of months ahead of that when it's actually a real, working product.

The reveal was for Enterprise. They can start negotiations now and provide feedback on what they want. Consumers can too, but the main reveal is in January. I believe it's a good time to reveal, considering how they're going to use feedback.

By the way, what happened to SteamOS? I thought Gabe hated Windows and wanted to come up with his own OS.

It's not so much hating windows as being terrified of the Windows Store. Gabe doesn't want steam to go the way of netscape.

Anyway, it's been delayed until next year, and considering the attitude towards security Valve demonstrated earlier this year, I for one have no plans of ever going anywhere near it.

Bsigg12

Well it's so companies start incorporating it and widening the potential for bug finding.

zou

Considering Windows 7 was actually Windows 6.1, and Windows 8 was 6.2, and Windows 8.1 was 6.3... whatever ok, this can be Windows 10.

Whatever.

I like the direction they're going in FWIW.

As far as I know those version numbers were chosen primarily/mainly for app compatibility.

Hexa

You know they're releasing a preview right. Like a preview you can install and use and give them feedback on. So it already is a real working product that you can use.

orava

I think you missed the part where they give access year before the release and give people chance to actually tell what they want and try things out. This also gives ms time to refine the os. This is how things should be done.

Kssio_Aug

Half Life 4 confirmed

I kinda wonder if RT isn't dead. I guess there will have to be an ARM version that's not X86 compatible for phones though. But with SP3 and no Surface RT3 they seem to be aware RT is a pretty undesirable product

I guess you're right. Also, I kind doubt my Surface RT (1st edition) can handle Windows 10 features. lol

I guess you're right. Also, I kind doubt my Surface RT (1st edition) can handle Windows 10 features. lol

RT is dead as a doornail in any case. They're straight-up giving away Windows licenses to anyone making devices intended to sell for <250, they want out of the budget hardware market.

The Cowboy

The only thing i'm a bit worried about is the new start screen setup, namely this.
I really hope there is an option to disable the taskbar (and have the current start button in the corner) when using start screen mode, and also not to have the small list on the left (i don't like the look of that at all on the start screen).

Top Bottom