• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Another bug: If you have ESET Smart Security installed prior to upgrading, your network/internet/firewall will get completely borked in Windows 10. Need to do an uninstall-reboot-reinstall of ESET after the upgrade. Fun times, that.

Another bug: If you have ESET Smart Security installed prior to upgrading, your network/internet/firewall will get completely borked in Windows 10. Need to do an uninstall-reboot-reinstall of ESET after the upgrade. Fun times, that.

A good a rule of thumb, always uninstall anti viruses, firewalls and anti malwares before upgrading, because they go very deep inside the OS and are very likely to cause issues when going through an update path.

biRdy

Wait so are full screen apps gone? Using touch and kind of miss the extra space that is now being taken up by the borders.

ghostjoke

Banned
Just set update in motion on netbook. I feel I'm going to regret this. I take it this is safe to just leave to do it's thing; it's not going to ask random things with a timer right?

KorrZ

Just installed the Tech Preview on my main Work PC - everything seems to be going good so far. I do think it is a mistake though that the Start Menu isn't default and it instead goes right back to the Start Screen. That should definitely be reversed for release because general consumers are never going to know to look for that and it'll turn them away just like 8 did.

Azih

Is there an option on the Start Menu to get rid of the 'classic' part on the left bar and just have the live tiles part appear? Would love to set it up so it's like a tiny Windows Phone pops up on the bottom left whenever I press the Start button. Probably the ideal UI setup for me.

t-ramp

Just installed the Tech Preview on my main Work PC - everything seems to be going good so far. I do think it is a mistake though that the Start Menu isn't default and it instead goes right back to the Start Screen. That should definitely be reversed for release because general consumers are never going to know to look for that and it'll turn them away just like 8 did.
The Start Menu was the default mode for me on a clean install.

Wait so are full screen apps gone? Using touch and kind of miss the extra space that is now being taken up by the borders.
You can make them full screen using the little drop down menu in the top left (or WinKey + C), but I don't know if there is a way to make that the default setting for an app.

On the top left border you will se a ... icon, click it and press full screen, and the app goes full screen.

But, it's a bit cumbersome, and the app doesn't remember that choice if you switch to any other...

I did a fresh stall on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I am sold on the hybrid start menu as well as the task view button on the taskbar. Everything just works. I may be imagining things but it just feels snappier. I especially love the fact you can run apps in windows. I can finally use the xbox music app without the need to snap it or whatever. I may put this on my primary desktop PC as well if things hold up over the next couple of days breaking this bad boy in.

I did a fresh stall on my Windows 8.1 laptop. I am sold on the hybrid start menu as well as the task view button on the taskbar. Everything just works. I may be imagining things but it just feels snappier. I especially love the fact you can run apps in windows. I can finally use the xbox music app without the need to snap it or whatever. I may put this on my primary desktop PC as well if things hold up over the next couple of days breaking this bad boy in.

For mouse+keyboard usage I'm finding it almost perfect to use already. I can't even find stuff to complain, all my feedback so far have been about some features tuning, not mouse usage. For touch it's still not as good, but I see that they are focusing on keyboard+mouse right now so it's not a huge deal.

And it's being very stable too! Which is nice for a product this early. I know I shouldn't but I'm using it already on my main device XD

biRdy

You can make them full screen using the little drop down menu in the top left (or WinKey + C), but I don't know if there is a way to make that the default setting for an app.

On the top left border you will se a ... icon, click it and press full screen, and the app goes full screen.

But, it's a bit cumbersome, and the app doesn't remember that choice if you switch to any other...

Thanks, and yeah its a bit of a step down from 8 for touch screen users, hopefully it gets improved throughout the preview.

The Cowboy

I recon I'll keep my Start menu like this: I really wish MS would allow us to customize desktop folders/apps into the metro style tiles (i can't believe we still need Oblytile for this).
3ftAz9n.jpg

Guri

I recon I'll keep my Start menu like this: I really wish MS would allow us to customize desktop folders/apps into the metro style tiles (i can't believe we still need Oblytile for this).

They still have 8-12 months to improve UI elements. Hopefully something will come up regarding to that. Still, you can use the Feedback app to suggest that so they can see there are people interested.

Herr K

Banned
Ok now where are my programs?

Edit: let me expand. Did an update and sure enough, my data wasn't erased. However, I can't open any of the programs I had. Is there a way to fix this? Should I just say fuck it and delete Windows.old?

Firehead

If I installed this, will I be able to straight upgrade from the preview to the actual release? On Windows 8.1, so I dunno how that'd work.

LilJoka

After using this for a short period i still have some big concerns.

1. Lack of consistancy. Lack of direction. Lack of organisation. Duplication.
- Control Panel & PC Settings, Calculator and Calculator App etc
- Home, This PC
- Icons vs Tiles
- Flat vs 3D
- Standard right click menus vs Metro style Menus

2. Start Menu
- On Windows 10, i can fit 14 programs in app tray. 24 in Windows 7.
- Tiles on the Start Menu look great, but pin a folder or shortcut and it looks awful, see point 1.
- Lack of colour choice, the colour is tied into the "Windows Colour" in Personalization
- Most the apps are like bloatware and fill up the entire Start Menu. You cant even remove them without uninstalling the app, you cant even put them in a Folder like in Windows 7.

Number one is what really gets on my nerves though, they said they dont want people working in 2 environments, but we still are. Half the things use metro, half use Windows 7 styles. Plus the general Explorer organization is completely non existent with folders and shortcuts duplicated in multiple locations.

For now i have installed Classic Shell to get the Windows 7 Start Menu back totally. I dont care for tiles, I rather have the useful shortcuts to different parts of my PC on the right hand side of the menu. I have tried recreating it with Tiles, but it looks HORRIBLE.

These things need addressing badly, tbh I feel like its Windows 8 all over again.

On a positive note, overall performance has improved, and the guys at MS working on kernel code and under the hood code dont get enough gratitude.

LilJoka

computer and control panel are now "apps"?

Theres two, Control Panel, just like Windows 7, and Settings (Tile/App) that is Win 8 style.
And there is My PC which takes you to a page your Home Folders. And Home takes you to recently opened folders and Favorites....

Like i said, its a MESS.

The OS is just under 11GB on a fresh install.

dLMN8R

You're using a Technical Preview.

This is what the first screenshots of Windows 8 early builds looked like:

win8-7850.jpg

This technical preview is earlier than that early build of Windows 8 was.

Theres two, Control Panel, just like Windows 7, and Settings (Tile/App) that is Win 8 style.
And there is My PC which takes you to a page your Home Folders. And Home takes you to recently opened folders and Favorites....

Like i said, its a MESS.

The OS is just under 11GB on a fresh install.

Yea i never understood why there is two of several hings like calculator,etc. The whole app thing makes no sense since everything is an app forever,just named differently. "programs".

LilJoka

You're using a Technical Preview.

This is what the first screenshots of Windows 8 early builds looked like:

win8-7850.jpg

This technical preview is earlier than that early build of Windows 8 was.

Yeah i know, but we can all sit quiet or actually voice our concerns. I never said that it will be horrible or i wont buy in the future. Im just saying theres some big problems at where it sits, most of these problems have been there since Windows 8 RTM.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They need to make everything accessible by both interfaces within their interface and styled in the interface style

I assume most of Windows will eventually look like modern apps to accomplish this

Too cumbersome having to go into classic Windows control panel as a touch user... Doable but not optimal

They need to make everything accessible by both interfaces within their interface and styled in the interface style

I assume most of Windows will eventually look like modern apps to accomplish this

Too cumbersome having to go into classic Windows control panel as a touch user... Doable but not optimal

Didn't they say all will scale depending on what windows is being used on? Remember that was the issue with w8, things for desktop weren't as good since they focused on touch and not their main desktop users.

yes, this is one of my most requested features. find my thing in the windows feedback app and "me too!" it

Is there an option on the Start Menu to get rid of the 'classic' part on the left bar and just have the live tiles part appear? Would love to set it up so it's like a tiny Windows Phone pops up on the bottom left whenever I press the Start button. Probably the ideal UI setup for me.

not that I know of, but hit up the windows feedback app and let them know. they're listening this time, apparently.

Jonnax

I'm liking everything so far. It's refreshing to click on the start menu and not lose sight of everything.

Also I'm really surprised at how few people have put suggestions on the feedback app. I think the most "me too"' 'd item has only 50-odd people.

LilJoka

Didn't they say all will scale depending on what windows is being used on? Remember that was the issue with w8, things for desktop weren't as good since they focused on touch and not their main desktop users.

Yep, they said in the conference they want to make it so there is no feeling of dual environments. I really dont know how they can resolve this, apart from 2 separate OS's. Currently it feels the same as Win 8 in this respect.

Yep, they said in the conference they want to make it so there is no feeling of dual environments. I really dont know how they can resolve this, apart from 2 separate OS's. Currently it feels the same as Win 8 in this respect.

They haven't really updated any of the apps, and we don't have any universal app as far as I know in this build. That's why it feels like Win8 in this regard, because everything is still Win8 apps at this early stage. Only with the ability to be put in a window. The foundation is definitely there though, and I think and hope they'll run with it.

I'm going to assume that they will merge a lot of this functionality into one app, so you don't have two things which do similar things. For example, a single calculator app, a single control panel, a single browser, etc etc... There's no reason to have two apps if your app platform can smartly transform the UI between devices, and depending on mode. And with everything being able to be put in a window and all of that jazz, it's silly to have two apps for these, and I would bet the Windows guys know this.

Of course, the tricky part is always designing things in such a way which works with both mouse/keyboard and touch. However, with continuum, there's an explicit toggle so they don't have to assume you could be using both at either time. That means if you're in M/KB mode, everything can be made more dense, since a mouse is a high-precision tool, but when you turn on tablet mode, all of the hit targets become bigger and easier to hit with your finger.

The consistency of the visuals is one of those things where it's just a known issue, because the core functionality needs to come in before you can make something pretty. I would assume that we would get a lot of that with the consumer preview next year, though it would be awesome if with the rapid release cycle the visuals were updated as we go along, as the Windows team makes those changes.

The Cowboy

computer and control panel are now "apps"?
Those tiles are Oblytiles, they are simply the desktop shortcuts turned into metro looking tiles. I have this done for Control Panel, My Computer, Downloads, My Videos, My Music and My Pictures - i wanted to keep my main list just for recently opened only.
-
I'm really likngi the start menu with some live tiles in it, though i am looking forward to trying out the new styled start screen when its working correctlly.

Is there a way to make it so my desktop and Surface Pro 3 don't mirror each other? On my SP3 I like to have my taskbar on the left so that my hand doesn't hit it when writing in OneNote, but since installing 10 on my desktop it keeps moving my taskbar on my desktop to be on the left.

Guri

After using this for a short period i still have some big concerns.

1. Lack of consistancy. Lack of direction. Lack of organisation. Duplication.
- Control Panel & PC Settings, Calculator and Calculator App etc
- Home, This PC
- Icons vs Tiles
- Flat vs 3D
- Standard right click menus vs Metro style Menus

2. Start Menu
- Tiles on the Start Menu look great, but pin a folder or shortcut and it looks awful, see point 1.
- Lack of colour choice, the colour is tied into the "Windows Colour" in Personalization
- Most the apps are like bloatware and fill up the entire Start Menu. You cant even remove them without uninstalling the app, you cant even put them in a Folder like in Windows 7.

Number one is what really gets on my nerves though, they said they dont want people working in 2 environments, but we still are. Half the things use metro, half use Windows 7 styles. Plus the general Explorer organization is completely non existent with folders and shortcuts duplicated in multiple locations.

For now i have installed Classic Shell to get the Windows 7 Start Menu back totally. I dont care for tiles, I rather have the useful shortcuts to different parts of my PC on the right hand side of the menu. I have tried recreating it with Tiles, but it looks HORRIBLE.

These things need addressing badly, tbh I feel like its Windows 8 all over again.

On a positive note, overall performance has improved, and the guys at MS working on kernel code and under the hood code dont get enough gratitude.

Remember you're using an Enterprise preview and many things will be tweaked. We're not sure if they'll keep the Win32 and Modern versions of the Calculator, for example. Flat icons are coming and some are already present, from what I saw. As for the Start Menu, did you know you can resize it and unpin every tile? Finally, take this chance to use the feedback app and detail what you don't like. Hopefully they can use it to make a better OS.

2. Start Menu

I seriously doubt the average user needs more than 14 apps in the app tray. I use maybe 5 on a daily basis; 10 on a weekly. Power users might need 24 but that's a hell of a lot of apps cluttering up what is supposed to be an easy-access menu.

Can't you unpin and resize apps from thew new Start Menu? They showed it in demos/video.

Otherwise, pretty good points, although I am sure they'll be working towards more consistency by the final release.

LilJoka

I understand its a tech preview, ive put all my opinions on the feedback app. Just though id share for discussion purposes.

And yeah I have removed all tiles, but then i like having the shortcuts like Windows 7 to Documents, User Folder, Computer, Control Panel. So i created that with Tiles, but its just such a waste of space. The only point in tiles is for live information/touch screen. A shortcut for Desktop doesnt fall into either category.

The reason for having more entries in the start menu isnt for power use, it means less scrolling, you have all the information there. When you are using a 1080p display or higher, having such little amount of listed items makes no sense. TBH im using a 1280x1024 Monitor and even smaller VM and i still find it annoying that such a small amount of information is visible due to the spacing in the app list.

The funny thing is the stock apps, which i find useless, take up more than half the Start Menu, and you got to scroll a ton more just to get to anything useful after those.

Guri

I understand its a tech preview, ive put all my opinions on the feedback app. Just though id share for discussion purposes.

And yeah I have removed all tiles, but then i like having the shortcuts like Windows 7 to Documents, User Folder, Computer, Control Panel. So i created that with Tiles, but its just such a waste of space. The only point in tiles is for live information/touch screen. A shortcut for Desktop doesnt fall into either category.

The reason for having more entries in the start menu isnt for power use, it means less scrolling, you have all the information there. When you are using a 1080p display or higher, having such little amount of listed items makes no sense. TBH im using a 1280x1024 Monitor and even smaller VM and i still find it annoying that such a small amount of information is visible due to the spacing in the app list.

The funny thing is the stock apps, which i find useless, take up more than half the Start Menu, and you got to scroll a ton more just to get to anything useful after those.

You can still resize the Start Menu to put more apps in the list. Small tiles don't work for you? Still two columns and more info.

ghostjoke

Banned
After a few hours of use I like it. It's nothing amazing and the virtual desktops need some options to modify how they function but it seems to run better than 8.1. Nice having a built in start menu again but don't see why the search button right next to the start button is needed, same with the "task view" button - anyway to get rid of these and just keyboard shortcut it up?

Top Bottom