• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Lynn616

Comparison of opening start menu in Win 7 vs Win 10. The available shortcuts on the right hand side for fast Explorer navigation, which IMO are more important then Live Tiles. You could create a Tile for each option like Win 7, but that is not efficient use of screen space. my point was a huge Tile is only good for Live data. And that if you choose to use small tiles, its impossible to distinguish between folders such as Documents/Music since all the icons are the same and no text.

The size of Tile depends on the type, if its a shortcut to a folder or program, it can only be small or medium. Only Live tiles have the options you mention.

On the All Programs Vs App photos, we see the spacing is increased on Win 10, meaning a lot less programs or entries are visible at first glance. Around 10 less.

You can show those shortcuts in Win10 too. Right click taskbar Poperties>Start Menu>Customize

LilJoka

Works for me just fine.

It works, but that is where the most recent programs are listed. So instead of 12 entries, youll have less entries dynamically updated. I guess you can pin them to the Tile space afterwards then delete them from the Start menu list. Then using small icons you get some variation in the icons too.

keuja

A tip to people complaining about This PC, computers have a function called rename (Shortcut: F2) so you can change the name back to Computer.

But the real question is why does anyone have a my computer icon on the desktop when win+e exists?

Because i want to open it without the keyboard or i want to right click it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love OS X and the Fullscreen feature and the gesture for switching between apps. Does Win10 have a gesture for this? For trackpads I mean. Not touch screens. I'll need to get Win10 eventually. If it doesn't have the gesture maybe BootCamp will have drivers to enable it. I wonder if Parallels will implement a way to give every Win app it's own Fullscreen space when running in a VM too.

Sorry should have said is there fast window switching (top left corner) or is it just disabled for W10?

i hate having skype shown on taskbar on W10. like it hidden but still run like on W8
Hmm sorry I'm stumped on that one. It seems for non touch setups the charms and left app bar aren't accessible as they we're in 8. Perhaps there's a key command?

I'd leave feedback about it if you want to continue accessing it. Also make a report on Skype. I don't see why they couldn't minimize to the notification center by the clock.

Hmm sorry I'm stumped on that one. It seems for non touch setups the charms and left app bar aren't accessible as they we're in 8. Perhaps there's a key command?

I'd leave feedback about it if you want to continue accessing it. Also make a report on Skype. I don't see why they couldn't minimize to the notification center by the clock.

their feedback is so confusing. don't know where what goes where when submitting lol.

It's broken down into specific areas. I suppose it might seem a little daunting but dig around or just make a general entry and hope it sticks.

I've used it a few times already and found people with the same issue. My laptop's web cam image is flipped only in the camera app with the generic windows driver.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Love the Feedback app in the preview. I hope it stays in the final version. (i voted for that).

Sorry should have said is there fast window switching (top left corner) or is it just disabled for W10?

i hate having skype shown on taskbar on W10. like it hidden but still run like on W8

That's gone in Win10. Taskbar is where everything lives now. Part of the process of making it feel like one OS instead of 2 OS' in one.

With that being said, you can of course send feedback via the app that you want something like that back.

t-ramp

Lame, copy and paste on command prompt isn't built in to the tech preview yet.
I haven't tried, but I think you can enable it: http://www.howtogeek.com/197749/how-to-power-up-the-windows-10-command-prompt-with-ctrlc-and-ctrlv/

Also, in case anyone wants to hide the search and task view buttons, the little program linked in a comment on this article seems to work: http://www.howtogeek.com/197607/how-to-hide-the-stupid-search-button-on-the-windows-10-taskbar/#

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...0106&authkey=!AFMcZpVRvjvkqa4&ithint=file,zip

The issue with older direct x games running at 30 fps from windows 8 is still there. I really hope they fix that for windows 10. How much is currently still in windows 8 form right now in this preview?

Jzero

Does f.lux work on the Technical Preview?

Yup.

Awesome. Don't know why it wasn't enable by default.

Novoitus

Banned
I'm guessing that you didn't use Windows 8

I'm using Windows 8 right now.

997e4a3ca6.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
But the real question is why does anyone have a my computer icon on the desktop when win+e exists?

right click properties is still the fastest way to get to that one screen before computer management where you access remote settings and the page file stuff and whatever. (I think?)

Has anyone got this to run on Hyper V? I've been a bit busy, but my colleague is running it in vmware workstation and it goes great. if I create a hyper V on win 8 and try use the iso as boot media it just freaks out and throws a massive error. seems a bit... backward.

okay i installed win 10 but when i click start menu it just goes into apps just like win 8. how do i get it to look like this?

sounds like it identified you as 'touch mode'
not sure if there is manual switching, maybe the detection is funky on your machine? That would be a feedback item you should send them probably.

Zabka

right click properties is still the fastest way to get to that one screen before computer management where you access remote settings and the page file stuff and whatever. (I think?)

Sounds like you're talking about the System window. Right-clicking the Start button or hitting Win+X is better.

Coreda

Windows 7/8:
P5VvoLM.png

Windows 10:
dn8BYqC.png

Yikes, are all the icons like that in 10? They need to hire the IconFactory again for their icon concepts (and polish). Pity they always mess with the results though, the IconFactory's originals are always better than what MS does with them afterward.

CLEEK

A tip to people complaining about This PC, computers have a function called rename (Shortcut: F2) so you can change the name back to Computer.

To right click to get quick access to Manage and Properties.

I guess if it worked for Sierra and Leisure Suit Larry skipping 4 and moving on to 5 straight away, it could work for Microsoft Windows also.

Mr_Zombie

Who the hell didn't update from 8 to 8.1? It's like throwing away water in the desert.

Blame Microsoft for that. If the update was available via Windows Update I'm sure everyone would install it (either manually or automatically). However, since Microsoft forced people to use Store - you know, that thing that is barely used by desktop users - I can see how many people, who don't follow tech news, could be oblivious that 8.1 is even a thing.

MCD

Blame Microsoft for that. If the update was available via Windows Update I'm sure everyone would install it (either manually or automatically). However, since Microsoft forced people to use Store - you know, that thing that is barely used by desktop users - I can see how many people, who don't follow tech news, could be oblivious that 8.1 is even a thing.

Didn't they offer it later via Windows Update? Or was it only temporary?

Top Bottom