• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Do this.
01- Open search and type netplwiz and select it.
02- In the User Accounts Control Panel, select the account you wish to use to log in automatically.
03- Click off the check-box above the account that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." Click OK.
04- Enter your password once and then a second time to confirm it. Click OK.
05- Restart Windows. Windows now bypasses the lock screen and the log-in screen.

What if i do want a user and password and just want the lock screen out?

What's missing in the Windows 10 Tech Preview that's in e.g. Windows 8.1?

I think it runs very well, and if it continues to do so, I'm contemplating running it on my main machine. But if there are some features I know I'll need sooner or later, I'll keep going with 8.1 on my main.

lednerg

Installed in VirtualBox without much fuss. Chose Windows 8.1 (64 bit) as the type of virtual machine, changed it to 2 CPUs and enabled PAE/NX. I turned on 3D acceleration, but you can't install Guest Additions yet, so that's not going to do anything at this time. This means that it's using generic video settings in 4:3 or 5:4 resolutions. It's a good idea to turn off the animations (PC Settings > Ease of Access > Other options), since your CPU is going to be rendering them until Guest Additions is updated.

I'm not a fan of squarish, two-color interfaces. It effectively removes all the visual cues which tell you what things on the screen are actually supposed to be. I realize nothing is set in stone yet, I just hope they at least give us the option to switch to something else. It doesn't have to be all plasticy like Aero was, either. I suppose these are basically Windows 8 complaints, so I'll move on.

The Live tiles in the Start menu are neat and I can see them being useful. I like where they're going with the PC Settings window, especially for new users. I love how you can snap windows into four corners - that'll get plenty of use. Multiple desktops is also welcome. Getting a free 15GB OneDrive is nice, and the monthly pricing for more is fair ($2/100GB, $4/200GB, $10/1TB + Office 365). I had an issue where instead of saying "File Explorer" in the Start menu it was displaying some garbage, but I clicked it and it was able to fix itself once I pointed it to explorer.exe (it had to ask?). Horizontal scrolling in the Store app is terrible. That's all I can think of for now.

Ah, I found something that I miss in Windows 10 that is in 8.

In Windows 8, Metro apps are always fullscreen. You can do an Aero Snap-like thing with them and pin them to the left or right side of the screen like so:

33xRgFD.png

and you can resize each app by dragging the center bar (i.e. you can lake the left app larger and the right app smaller by dragging the center bar a little to the right).

But, along with those apps, you can ALSO pin the entire Desktop to one side:

(You can even use Aero Snap inside of the desktop...)

I miss that. I mean, it's sort of moot because you can now Aero Snap Metro apps on your Desktop, but it doesn't resize the actual desktop, and I thought that was pretty cool.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Did an upgrade from 8.1, everything is working so far except MS Money 2004. It's old but it did the job.Could use the Sunset edition but I've got to convert my non-US file first.

Mr_Zombie

The new snap features, that it isn't limited to just full screen or 1/2:1/2 of the screen, are fantastic. Being able to snap first application, reduce its width, and then snap a second application so it covers all available space is a life-changer.

Irminsul

The new snap features, that it isn't limited to just full screen or 1/2:1/2 of the screen, are fantastic. Being able to snap first application, reduce its width, and then snap a second application so it covers all available space is a life-changer.
That's possible now? Wow, that is really great. The number of times I wished for such a feature... But the feature of snapping the whole Desktop on one side and any Metro App on the other has to stay, that's also great :/

Danj

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but the latest theory about why it's Windows 10 and not Windows 9 is apparently there's lots of old crufty enterprise software that checks if the version name begins with "Windows 9" for "Windows 95" and "Windows 98".

Nander

That was already possible in Windows 8.1. And you can have up to four apps snapped, depending on the resolution of your screen.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Mr_Zombie

That was already possible in Windows 8.1. And you can have up to four apps snapped, depending on the resolution of your screen.

You're talking about snapping modern apps. I'm talking about normal windows/win32 applications. In both Win7 and 8/8.1 you could only snap an application either to the left/right side (where it covered half the screen) or to the top (which maximized the application). Now you can snap an app to one side, resize it (it's still snapped to the side) and when you try to snap another app, it will cover all available - whether it will be more or less of half the screen.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Don't know if it's already been mentioned but the latest theory about why it's Windows 10 and not Windows 9 is apparently there's lots of old crufty enterprise software that checks if the version name begins with "Windows 9" for "Windows 95" and "Windows 98".
Yeah it was mentioned. But it's pretty funny and way too funny to not be true. Programmers really are that stupid. It's the same reason the Y2K bug was even a small threat at all. Lack of programming foresight. Who would think their software would still be used that far in the future...

But, as was also pointed out, the actual internal version numbers for Windows have been 6.x for the past 15 years or so. So I guess this software is stupid enough to check for the internal name and not its actual internal version.

Personally I would have kept it Windows 9 and let that software break. The chaos would be amazing and maybe finally force companies to replace or upgrade software. It's bad enough they kept IE6 around for so long just to keep legacy support for old outdated crusty systems businesses were still stuck with. Of course the companies would probably just stick with Windows 8 or 7 or *shudder* Vista if it kept them from having to spend more money on development or replacement.

M3d10n

Yeah it was mentioned. But it's pretty funny and way too funny to not be true. Programmers really are that stupid. It's the same reason the Y2K bug was even a small threat at all. Lack of programming foresight. Who would think their software would still be used that far in the future...

But, as was also pointed out, the actual internal version numbers for Windows have been 6.x for the past 15 years or so. So I guess this software is stupid enough to check for the internal name and not its actual internal version.

Personally I would have kept it Windows 9 and let that software break. The chaos would be amazing and maybe finally force companies to replace or upgrade software. It's bad enough they kept IE6 around for so long just to keep legacy support for old outdated crusty systems businesses were still stuck with. Of course the companies would probably just stick with Windows 8 or 7 or *shudder* Vista if it kept them from having to spend more money on development or replacement.

In cross-platform frameworks like Java and Adobe Air it's common for developers to read the OS string, not the Windows specific version identifier, so there is some truth to that. Also, this isn't only used by old software, but also by relatively recent software to warn the user it's not compatible with Windows 95/98 or outright refuse to run, which means such programs wouldn't work on a windows named "Windows 9".

DarkFlow

Banned
Well my computer boots to damn fast now that I can't get into bios. I've tried using advanced start up options to boot into it, but the option is not there. I'm kind of annoyed right now because I have no idea how to get into it.

Well my computer boots to damn fast now that I can't get into bios. I've tried using advanced start up options to boot into it, but the option is not there. I'm kind of annoyed right now because I have no idea how to get into it.

Sure it's not hibernate or some sleep mode?

DarkFlow

Banned
Sure it's not hibernate or some sleep mode?
Yeah, I have done every damn trick I could Google. Forcing complete shut down by holding shift, turning off fast boot in the power menu. You name it.

Edit. I got it fixed. I finally got a gigabyte program that handles fastest to install and got into bios from there.

hadareud

The Translator
After playing around with the start menu for a bit I switched back to the start screen on my pc.

I find it easier and quicker.

maeh2k

After playing around with the start menu for a bit I switched back to the start screen on my pc.

I haven't used it much, but so far, I don't see any benefits of the start menu, either. I always really liked the start screen and I don't mind the 'sudden context change' of not seeing my desktop for a second. If I want to open something via search I just use Win+S.

smurfx

get some go again
cytpph.JPG

Anyone else run into this while trying to play Marvel Heroes? Verifying game cache didn't help.
i ran into some huge error playing quake live. i reinstalled the games i had on steam and my video drivers. played quake live today and everything went smooth.

The preview has absolutely killed the battery life on my Surface Pro 2. Get about 3 hours if I turn the brightness to half way, checked task manager and the CPU seems to have stopped running hard(issues with runtime broker) but the battery issues persist. Anyone with a Surface Pro seen similar battery levels post update?

Herr K

Banned
The preview has absolutely killed the battery life on my Surface Pro 2. Get about 3 hours if I turn the brightness to half way, checked task manager and the CPU seems to have stopped running hard(issues with runtime broker) but the battery issues persist. Anyone with a Surface Pro seen similar battery levels post update?

My laptop's battery life also took a hit.

-Deimos

Welp, was just about to install this on my Surface.

Mr_Zombie

I'm torn between Start Screen and Start Menu. Both of them have their pros and cons.

One thing I realized after using Start Menu is that now I miss having a place where I can put my important but not-so-often used programs. With Start Screen, I just created a separate group and put them there; that way they didn't bloat my taskbar / desktop / main group of programs, but at the same time were quickly accessible.

In Start Menu there really is no place to put such programs, especially if you have a lot of them. The tile area is better used for live tiles, and the pinned applications sections at the top of menu I use for windows explorer (and shortcuts to various folders), Control Panel etc.

Have been running w10 for a whole 4 hours now on my work laptop, and loving it so far... Start menu is what it should have been from day 1.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
If they can get x86 apps in the store for the general user... That will be huge.

Windows store will become really big overnight.
Depends on what Microsoft's cut will be. The OSX store hasn't really taken off because there are other ways to get apps that people have been using for a long time.

I'm torn between Start Screen and Start Menu. Both of them have their pros and cons.

One thing I realized after using Start Menu is that now I miss having a place where I can put my important but not-so-often used programs. With Start Screen, I just created a separate group and put them there; that way they didn't bloat my taskbar / desktop / main group of programs, but at the same time were quickly accessible.

In Start Menu there really is no place to put such programs, especially if you have a lot of them. The tile area is better used for live tiles, and the pinned applications sections at the top of menu I use for windows explorer (and shortcuts to various folders), Control Panel etc.

Yeah, I'm kinda feeling the same. A perfect implementation for me would be a maximize button on the start menu that turns it into the start screen at the click of a button for the times I want to browse all of my pinned tiles in that environment.

Top Bottom