• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

I'm not even sure how people never knew they could rename just about anything on windows. While keyboard shortcuts may be superior, many casual users still prefer mousing around to open programs. I'm not to bothered by it.

I'm also not so bothered about the redundancy in this current build. It's still a long way off before release. Just use that feedback guys. Let them know and maybe you'll see it resolved in the next build.

Exactly. But try to remember that redundancy is not necessarily bad. Which is bad is the duality like forcing keyboard + mouse users deal with a touch based menu. But the existence of a touch based menu is great for people using touch.

Blame Microsoft for that. If the update was available via Windows Update I'm sure everyone would install it (either manually or automatically). However, since Microsoft forced people to use Store - you know, that thing that is barely used by desktop users - I can see how many people, who don't follow tech news, could be oblivious that 8.1 is even a thing.

Yes, that was a remarkably stupid move.

the updated VLC app for 8.1 is out.

How is it on Windows 10?

Don't have many video files on my SP3, but it's working alright from what I've seen. Much better interface and way faster for loading media.

There's still one thing I'd like, but I guess it's a metro limitation (that I hope it goes away on the final): If you open through the explorer a video file that has a .srt the app doesn't see the srt automatically and you have to open it (And worse, it will open the dialogue based on the last location you opened with the file picker, which is usually completely different from where you opened the file in explorer)

glaurung

I haven't reinstalled Windows in such a long time...

Something that I want to know before getting into the preview stuff: once I reinstall Windows, how do I know whether I need to install third party drivers for my motherboard and other devices?

Even if there are no yellow warning signs inside the Device Manager, how can I be sure that all my stuff is working using the best drivers?

My VM is stuck in an endless boot-error-boot loop. Latest one is MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and I think the one before that was IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or some other nonsense.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Ever tried right clicking on the start button (Win8)? Or just Start+X.
Yep I knew that but it doesn't get you the properties of my computer, which is a really handy screen

MCD

Still no SRT support in MKVs for VLC?

And it sucks as a music player. Volume is confusing/doesn't work, no shuffle or repeat button.

And the media bar shows up after ten clicks. WTF

That's gone in Win10. Taskbar is where everything lives now. Part of the process of making it feel like one OS instead of 2 OS' in one.

With that being said, you can of course send feedback via the app that you want something like that back.

lol why. fucking W8 haters ruin everything. i need my hybrid. it was one of the stuff i used and everytime i try with W10 i'm like NOOOO.

i sent a feedback for it.

hopefully it gets added back.

ghostjoke

Banned
I know some people who had crashing issues or weren't able to complete the update and had to revert back.

I actually just remembered when reading that the hell I went through when windows said the key on my desktop did not qualify for 8.1. I seem to have blocked that from my memory.

dLMN8R

Didn't they offer it later via Windows Update? Or was it only temporary?

There have been changes to how Windows 8.1 was distributed every month since its release last year, but I'm not sure if putting it through Windows Update has been one of those changes.

But yes, you'll notice that if you're using Windows 7 and upgraded to 10, it was done through Windows Update (unless you got the ISO instead). One of many mistakes we've learned from :)

the main point point of w10 is not to repeat the mistakes of w8 so i doubt feedback will do anything.

All of the feedback from the Feedback app goes into an organized central repository that everyone has access to. All feedback is grouped, considered, and prioritized, so it absolutely won't hurt (and may help) to file every piece of feedback you have through that app.

BadHand

I'm looking at laptops right now for my wife - If it comes preloaded with 8.1 does that mean I can upgrade to 10 for free? I do you need to buy windows 8 at retail?

Sorry should have said is there fast window switching (top left corner) or is it just disabled for W10?

i hate having skype shown on taskbar on W10. like it hidden but still run like on W8

I'm sure that still a wip, as currently some apps are even broken because they think they are on foreground and don't notify (like Skype). Anyway, as others have said, it won't hurt to leave feedback.

BTW, I would love to have the feedback app even after Win10 launched it would.

I'm thinking of switching from the start screen to the new menu. Even with touch it's very nice to use. I just hope that once continuum hits that they all keep the same layout.

When they add live folders this gonna be so good XD

Jzero

Everyone please look for this question and click "Me too". this thing needs to be fixed asap.

iC3KNSSkd5xtX.PNG

I think the taskbar being in place during touch mode is the only thing I don't like. Its really terrible and goes against every other touch OS out there in not prioritizing full bleed application UI.

Let people put the back button in the app themselves and use the windows button or whatever new charm concept they have. I don't want a bar on the bottom of my touch experience cluttering up the view.

Road

Right click...

right-click0nijl.png

What is this garbage? Microsoft is firing people from the wrong department.

Feedback sent through the worst feedback tool I've ever seen, about which I also sent a feedback. Also joined all the people confused about why do you have that useless search button you can't remove from the taskbar.

Back to Windows 7 disappointed.

Right click...

right-click0nijl.png

Feedback sent through the worst feedback tool I've ever seen, about which I also sent a feedback. Also joined all the people confused about why do you have that useless search button you can't remove from the taskbar.

LOL you realize this is not even a beta? Simply a technical release..?

Customization options in general need a lot of work.

pic39qf9o.jpg

This is the most functional dialog Microsoft dropped and I have no idea why.

I'm pretty sure that dialog had been there mostly unchanged since Windows 95. Maybe MS figured it was time for retirement after 20+ years.

I don't even know why the dialog has a lonely tab inside it that says the same thing as the title bar.

quesalupa

Are there any problems or reasons why I shouldn't update from 8.1? I only have one computer but pretty much only use it for Microsoft Office and browsing

SerTapTap

Anyone who added win 10 on a PC with another windows partition have duplicated Start context menu items, incorrect Search results (finds control panel items in search that are from the other OS, which don't work of course) and the word "copy" listed on all their Start items? I at least assume it's because there's also a win 8 install on this PC.

Customization options in general need a lot of work.

pic39qf9o.jpg

This is the most functional dialog Microsoft dropped and I have no idea why.

I was looking for that fucker in windows 8 AND 10 because I like to make the scrollbars and NOTHING ELSE extra big for touch controls. Unless I'm mistaken it's gone since 7.

Mr_Zombie

Right click...

This is a technical preview - not even beta - for developers and people who want to contribute in testing and giving a feedback. What exactly did you expect from a system that will be still (more or less) a year in development?

Looking at the feedback tool, I think Microsoft shot themselves in a foot when they released Windows 8. Now there are people who would basically want another Windows 7 (I've seen suggestions that "lock" and "sign off" options should be again under the "power off" button ffs, because now they are "hard to find" :|), only with under the hood improvements introduced in Windows 8; then there are people who want another Windows 8, along with charms bar, start screen, fullscreen applications, touch-centered etc; and then there are people who expect something completely new and revolutionary.

There's no way Microsoft can satisfy all those people.

SerTapTap

This is a technical preview - not even beta - for developers and people who want to contribute in testing and giving a feedback. What exactly did you expect from a system that will be still (more or less) a year in development?

Looking at the feedback tool, I think Microsoft shot themselves in a foot when they released Windows 8. Now there are people who would basically want another Windows 7 (I've seen suggestions that "lock" and "sign off" options should be again under the "power off" button ffs, because now they are "hard to find" :|), only with under the hood improvements introduced in Windows 8; then there are people who want another Windows 8, along with charms bar, start screen, fullscreen applications, touch-centered etc; and then there are people who expect something completely new and revolutionary.

Eh, hope windows' UI team can separate the pointless whining from the serious problems--for the most part the changes in win 10 seem like the best of both worlds, but improved on over their implementations in windows 7/8 as well. Though some stuff is flat out missing, and I'm not sure which omissions are deliberate yet since you know, technical preview. Working quite impressively for a preview so far though, looking forward to the real deal.

There is full screen apps as an option.

DarkFlow

Banned
I can't play BF4 because the browser doesn't think I have Origin installed. I've also found it doesn't think Java is installed either. I thought maybe it was just chrome, but IE is doing the same thing.

Lynn616

Anyone else find it kinda weird we can't have just 1 row of tiles (regular size)?, so we do something like this.

I don't expect this to change at some point, its the same in Windows 8/8. -, you can;t have just 1 row of tiles going down like this in that either

Like that wallpaper. You have a link for it?

I can't play BF4 because the browser doesn't think I have Origin installed. I've also found it doesn't think Java is installed either. I thought maybe it was just chrome, but IE is doing the same thing.
As far as java. Did you install both 32 and 64 bit versions?

The Cowboy

Is there a way to get rid of the "lock screen" when you first boot your PC? Seems useless and one step extra for no reason on a desktop.

Do this.
01- Open search and type netplwiz and select it.
02- In the User Accounts Control Panel, select the account you wish to use to log in automatically.
03- Click off the check-box above the account that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." Click OK.
04- Enter your password once and then a second time to confirm it. Click OK.
05- Restart Windows. Windows now bypasses the lock screen and the log-in screen.

Top Bottom