• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

SerTapTap

Win + Shift + left/right (move windows between monitors) doesn't seem to work? Really hope that's just a bug. I think it's just buggy enough I can't use it for now, no biggie, but I love the changes. Start menu and metro windows are what Windows 8 should have always been. Performance seems great. Desktop apps in app store BUT standard x86 apps installing as always is exactly how it should be. UAC seems just a bit less annoying so I think I can finally leave it on.

Think I'll revert for now, the battery issues with the Surface Pro 2 are too much of a drain. Plus, Microsoft doesn't need to know about my taste in women :p

jstripes

Banned
its a preview, they always gather much more info from these builds. it won't be in the final version.

A keylogger is a slight bit excessive.

I don't think I'm gonna boot up that particular virtual machine again until Microsoft addresses this publicly.

The Cowboy

A keylogger is a slight bit excessive.

I don't think I'm gonna boot up that particular virtual machine again until Microsoft addresses this publicly.
What is there for them to address?, they said on the actual preview site everything that the technical preview was going to access and one of those was logging what you type (for pretty obvious reasons if you understand what a technical preview is for).

if people don't understand what joining a technical preview entails and they can't read lines that specifically state to NOT put this on everyday computers on which you value your privacy, then they should not be using the technical preview full stop - its really that simple.

MS has done nothing wrong and they don't need to make any statement, everything about what the preview entails is on the actual website that people used to download the preview OS on - if the people who have issues with the logging can't be bothered to read what is easily accessible and very clear on the preview website then its that persons problem - NOT Microsofts.

jstripes

Banned
What is there for them to address?, they said on the actual preview site everything that the technical preview was going to access and one of those was logging what you type (for pretty obvious reasons if you understand what a technical preview is for).

if people don't understand what joining a technical preview entails and they can't read lines that specifically state to NOT put this on everyday computers on which you value your privacy, then they should not be using the technical preview full stop - its really that simple.

MS has done nothing wrong and they don't need to make any statement, everything about what the preview entails is on the actual website that people used to download the preview OS on - if the people who have issues with the logging can't be bothered to read what is easily accessible and very clear on the preview website then its that persons problem - NOT Microsofts.

I was part of the official testing program for XP, Vista, and 7... none of those had keyloggers. They collected all sorts of info, which I was OK with, but not everything you typed.

This. So tired of people complaining about fucking alpha/beta code in general.

SPDIF

I was part of the official testing program for XP, Vista, and 7... none of those had keyloggers. They collected all sorts of info, which I was OK with, but not everything you typed.

You know that for sure? Or is it more likely the press didn't care to investigate/report on the issue?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Been running this since yesterday and so far I really like it. One thing I would like to see reverted back to Windows 8 functionality is modern apps should open on the monitor you launch them from. Instead they behave like desktop apps and open on your main monitor.

I also miss having the charms bar pop up when you get to the corner of your monitor, it was an easy way for me to check the time without having to click anything, although I see that the option is there in preferences so maybe it's just not working yet.

I didn't use themes in Windows 8 so I'm not sure if it's the same but I'm using one in Win 10 and I like how it picks different wallpapers for each monitor when shuffling through them.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Been running this since yesterday and so far I really like it. One thing I would like to see reverted back to Windows 8 functionality is modern apps should open on the monitor you launch them from. Instead they behave like desktop apps and open on your main monitor.

I also miss having the charms bar pop up when you get to the corner of your monitor, it was an easy way for me to check the time without having to click anything, although I see that the option is there in preferences so maybe it's just not working yet.

I didn't use themes in Windows 8 so I'm not sure if it's the same but I'm using one in Win 10 and I like how it picks different wallpapers for each monitor when shuffling through them.
put that stuff in the feedback app, they seem to be listening and all of the features have not been locked down yet. maybe your concerns will be addressed.

put that stuff in the feedback app, they seem to be listening and all of the features have not been locked down yet. maybe your concerns will be addressed.

How do you know when an update comes? Does it come up automatically or do i check somewhere? Also are their patch notes?

How do you know when an update comes? Does it come up automatically or do i check somewhere? Also are their patch notes?

Nobody really knows quite yet.

However, if I were to guess, it would just be a part of Patch Tuesday, but will include feature updates, in addition to reliability/security updates. Every update also comes with a KB article (essentially patch notes), so they will almost definitely continue that.

One thing I hope they will do is have a notification when you log-in the first time after a feature update, with a quick overview of what's fixed/added/changed. It would be better to have it as a push-model instead of a pull-model with me having to go to the KB article site.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I just looked and someone had posted the exact same thing so I Me Tooed it.

So I totally forgot that the Surface Pro 2 uses an oem product key and can't be pulled to create an installable media drive. Did I totally fuck myself over?

Be smart kids, use VM!

Burai

shitonmychest57

This. A thousand times this. It's like when Apple release the iOS betas and people pay to get added to a developer device list to turn their phone into a slow, buggy mess that will lose all their data as soon as they sneeze. And then they complain in their thousands "Boo-hoo! I'm switching to Android!"

This software isn't about getting the new Windows for free, a year before everyone else and looking awesome. It's about getting the technology out there for IT professionals to get up to speed with and to give Microsoft realtime feedback as to what works and what doesn't. so that when version 1.0 comes next year, it's as good as they can make it.

Microsoft don't owe people shit. People owe it to themselves to read about what they are installing and understand what terms like "alpha", "beta" and "technology preview" really mean.

sirap

Just installed this on my main workstation. Everything feels solid so far, alot better than Yosemite's public beta.

Paganmoon

Win + Shift + left/right (move windows between monitors) doesn't seem to work? Really hope that's just a bug.

Isn't it just Win+left/right to move the windows (also notice that on some applications this doesn't work).

Just installed this on my main workstation. Everything feels solid so far, alot better than Yosemite's public beta.

Hehehe :)

I put it on my Surface Pro 2 because I only use it for browsing/office so incompatibilities/bugs aren't a huge deal but I wasn't expecting them to keylog. Totally my fault for not actually reading what it entailed though, or using a VM. Just really wanted the use the music app in a window, lol. Battery issues are the main problem at the moment, but in most cases it's pretty near a charger.

Seems like I'm now stuck with it though, my main desktop is a 7 to 8 to 8.1 upgraded computer so I can't create installation media. And even if I could it's tied to the specific cd key right? How do OEM copies of 8.1 work? If I find a CD copy or do manage to create installation media would it eventually register itself?

It just passed my mind completely that the Surface Pro 2 doesn't actually come with with a CD key. And back when I upgraded from 8, to 8.1 preview, to 8.1 I used some absurd workaround method to upgrade without having to clear my hard drive so I forgot that 8 CD keys don't work for 8.1(because they do when you upgrade and put them in later)

I like having pure white, borderless windows. Looks just like the Zune software and Office 2013. Should be the default. Aero can stay dead and buried, as much as I like its translucency.

I just wish we could change the Start Menu and Taskbar colours independently of the window colour, since at the moment I've got this strong, icky grey tint for those elements. Actually I'd prefer those to be translucent (I remember a leaked screen showed a translucent Start Menu) and keep the windows solid white.

Also, I'm struggling to understand the purpose of the Search pane. The start menu does the exact same thing, and quicker too. There doesn't appear to be any way to remove the button though.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Just installed this on my main workstation.
main workstation.
LL96Dvk.jpg

SerTapTap

Isn't it just Win+left/right to move the windows (also notice that on some applications this doesn't work).

No, that's a different thing that's meant to change windows to full/halfleft/halfright, win shift left/right would move the whole window, as is, to the monitor left/right. Was extremely useful for my 3 monitor setup where the third monitor is occasionally off or being used as a console display instead of a PC display. Just focus the window from the taskbar, win shift left and boom it's on the middle monitor.

edit: oh wow, it's in win 7 too, amazed it's not in 10. Like I said, hopefully an oversight.

Paganmoon

No, that's a different thing that's meant to change windows to full/halfleft/halfright, win shift left/right would move the whole window, as is, to the monitor left/right. Was extremely useful for my 3 monitor setup where the third monitor is occasionally off or being used as a console display instead of a PC display. Just focus the window from the taskbar, win shift left and boom it's on the middle monitor.

Ahh, I always used win+left/right to move them around, three taps on left would switch to the next screen :). But as I mentioned I noticed it didn't work with all applications.

I also miss having the charms bar pop up when you get to the corner of your monitor, it was an easy way for me to check the time without having to click anything

I used the charms to check the time too when I have my PC connected to my TV and I can't see the taskbar clock. My solution was to pin a live clock tile on the start menu. It's called TimeMe.

hYV3xRN.jpg

SerTapTap

Ahh, I always used win+left/right to move them around, three taps on left would switch to the next screen :). But as I mentioned I noticed it didn't work with all applications.

Yeah I don't think it works with non-resizable stuff, which isn't a problem with win-shift.

M3d10n

Do you know if it gets error data? That would be cool if they can see a user had errors with a game or something and they can find a way to fix it.

I believe even retail versions of Windows do this. Win 8.1 wanted to submit a bunch of crash dumps of the game I'm working on to MS so they could fix it, lol.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
lol can't believe they fixed the command prompt paste thing, that was really annoying.
They still need to add tabs to it to make it complete.

Until then I'll probably stick with ConEmu because it's pretty awesome . . . although it does seem to have an issue with having Powershell as a remote console for a Linux box. While using Nano, it's crashed a few times when I try to move the cursor around using the arrow keys.

ConEmuSplits.png

https://code.google.com/p/conemu-maximus5/

Nero3000

I think they should include a "full screen" option for metro apps, so that they revert to 8.1 behaviour so that they sit beside the desktop rather than on top of the desktop.

I like that you can have something like a twitter app or music app or email open in a tiny sliver of screen on the side, and the desktop is contained to its own part.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Skype (metro) is kinda crashy, will disappear at random. Also keeps asking if mic and webcam are allowed at startup, which can be hidden under other windows or displayed on the wrong monitor.

I'll probably switch back to the desktop version anyway seeing as I only used the metro version for the snap.

Top Bottom