• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

clav

Nice! Go go gadget update!

Animations are in there now for virtual desktops. Woot!

They also have a new option in the builds to toggle between "Fast" and "Slow" updates. Fast means that you get the new updates the day they come out, and slow means it will take a bit more time. Personally I'm leaving my desktop on Slow, but my laptop will be on the Fast train.

What does "take a bit more time" mean?

Once a week?

The Cowboy

Animations are in there now for virtual desktops. Woot!.
I swear i can't tell a difference between the old build and the new build when using them, in fact he new build keeps bugging out in that newly opened apps wont show on them until you go back to the original desktop and then back again.

Edit.
Scratch the 2nd part, they are bugging out on the normal desktop to.

Whogie

Why on earth would you still be using Windows Media Player when alternatives like Media Player Classic HC and Media Player Classic BE (Black Edition) are out there?

They even have the LAV Filters built in.
WMP's GUI is nice and out of the way. I rarely need more than to change streams with LAV Splitter's task tray tool. If I do need more I'll open something else.

Lynn616

My PC Settings are now called zPC Settings. Also, the checking for a new build is no longer under Update and Recovery. Anyone else?

edit: Just noticed that I have both zPC Settings and PC Settings. PC Settings is working.

Mr.Mike

Not a fan of the closing animation. I haven't noticed a new opening animation?

PS. I just saw the opening animation in eclipse, but only for the Workspace popup. I do actually like the closing animation when it's paired with the opening animation for popups, but it bothers me when Chrome closes with the closing animation.

PPS. OK, so like all of eclipse now is affected by both the opening and closing animations. As before, I do like it for popups, but not so much for the main part of the program.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Not a fan of the closing animation. I haven't noticed a new opening animation?

It pops out like it hit your screen monitor and then fell onto your desktop. Essentially when the window expands, the apex of its size is just slightly larger than the final size at the end of the animation.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
This build is all kind of wonky. Text is all messed up, my audio does not work at all and my connection is spotty (I know MS said it would be in their blog).

Does anyone have an app called "DockingController" listed under All Apps? It was never there before and it won't open.

This build is all kind of wonky. Text is all messed up, my audio does not work at all and my connection is spotty (I know MS said it would be in their blog).

Does anyone have an app called "DockingController" listed under All Apps? It was never there before and it won't open.

Yea i noticed the docking controller too and it won't open. In terms of text i haven't had any issues. Here is a tweet:

Gabriel Aul retweeted
Paul Thurrott @thurrott · 6h 6 hours ago
Good advice RT @sbisson If you are seeing missing characters in Windows 10 build 9860, install update that's waiting. It seems to fix things

Zizbuka

Banned
will MS please kill windows media player? I hate unsupported apps.

Picked up the Garth Brooks Ultimate Hits collection at Walmart today. Ripped the CDs, and noticed a DVD, stuck it in my Windows 8 PC and ..................... Go to google, and apparently Windows 8 doesn't have a native DVD player. What the hell?

Then I see there's Windows Media Center, cool............ what, I have to pay for it?

Come on game companies, on to the Linux train!!!!!!!

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Yea i noticed the docking controller too and it won't open. In terms of text i haven't had any issues. Here is a tweet:

Gabriel Aul retweeted
Paul Thurrott @thurrott · 6h 6 hours ago
Good advice RT @sbisson If you are seeing missing characters in Windows 10 build 9860, install update that's waiting. It seems to fix things

Thanks! I didn't see an update until I used the Control Panel to find it. Everything seemes fixed so far.

Don't forget to use the feedback program guys. They're obviously listening and maybe if you're lucky your issue will be corrected in a future build. Just don't expect everything you want fixed.

What does "take a bit more time" mean?

Once a week?

Likely once it has been determined stable by those in the fast flight group. Similar to how Xbox will release preview builds to a smaller audience before going to a wider group once it's stable. I guess we will see when they release their next update though.

Chichikov

Picked up the Garth Brooks Ultimate Hits collection at Walmart today. Ripped the CDs, and noticed a DVD, stuck it in my Windows 8 PC and ..................... Go to google, and apparently Windows 8 doesn't have a native DVD player. What the hell?

Then I see there's Windows Media Center, cool............ what, I have to pay for it?

Come on game companies, on to the Linux train!!!!!!!
It's a licensing issue, which is why you don't really see free (and legal) DVD players out there.
And I'm pretty sure Linux doesn't support DVD playback out of the box. It's easy enough to get around that, even without paying, but you can just as easily do it with windows.

Pagusas

Elden Member
How does Windows 10 handle dpi scaling? Windows 8/8.1 are horrible and look down right silly at anything but 100%, where as OS X has knocked it out of the park with resolution scaling from 72dpi all the way to the new 5k Mac with 200% scaling. My retina Macbook always looks beautiful at any scaling size (and nothing ever looks out of place, too big/too small), where as every high resolution screen I've seen running windows 8 looks horrifyingly bad.

I'm really hoping the method this time is well thought out and everything looks great if your on a standard screen or a 4k screen.

Zizbuka

Banned
It's a licensing issue, which is why you don't really see free (and legal) DVD players out there.
And I'm pretty sure Linux doesn't support DVD playback out of the box. It's easy enough to get around that, even without paying, but you can just as easily do it with windows.

I don't follow. I installed VLC and watched the DVD. It was free and I'm pretty sure legal.

Whogie

Noticed I was getting thumbnails for MKVs, so I uninstalled LAV Filters and tried an MKV and it played.

Either I neglected to uninstall something, or Win 10 now supports MKV with the new build.

dLMN8R

just FYI the new animations are pretty bugged compared to the intended animations, but submitting feedback anyway couldn't hurt :)

Chichikov

I don't follow. I installed VLC and watched the DVD. It was free and I'm pretty sure legal.
The US's shitty software patent laws make libavcodec (that VLC uses) sort of not legal in the states.
I don't think anyone is going after VLC player any time soon (I sure hope they don't) but a big OS distributor can't get away with that without paying licensing fee.
In windows 7 MS got around that by having some SKUs with the capabilities and some without it, in windows 8, they're back to the old model of paying directly for this feature.

I don't have a strong opinion about whether that was the right call, I don't really play DVDs on my computer, I'm just explaining the issue with putting DVD playback in your software.

forms

Haven't actually used the OS due to the snooping involved. Anyhow, the little I ran was rather anticlimactic, like W8 but the way it should have been. Apps that are running in windows looks like really ugly webapplications, unsurprisingly enough.

Heigic

Plenty of Windows PCs come without a DVD drive now. It's now up to OEMs to bundle a DVD codec.

I installed the most recent build, and it completely reinstalls Windows which is kind of annoying as some settings like fonts don't sync over OneDrive.

Mr_Zombie

Clicking on the Wi-Fi icon in the notification area now opens Connection Options in PC Settings app instead of quickly showing a list of available networks. I don't like it :/

There's a blog post up about it now.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...windows-insider-program/#.VEamsKQt3-U.twitter

Some new things like the Action Center from Windows Phone and faster access to new builds to those that want them.

ACDesktopFull.png

one thing i despise about windows update that it takes priority. like for me on my laptop my wifi just completely drops and my memory usage just goes up to 90%. So when something like that happens i go straight to windows update and i see it updating.

but anyways. will try the new build when i get home later.

Likely once it has been determined stable by those in the fast flight group. Similar to how Xbox will release preview builds to a smaller audience before going to a wider group once it's stable. I guess we will see when they release their next update though.
Yes, similar to that.

Remember, this is a tech preview, and stuff may very well break or regress for a build and then get better. Many times a team has to rebuild/re architect something, which can cause less than stellar usage for a bit. Often times things like the animations are rough approximations that aren't nearly complete. Those who use windows phone's smooth animations.....they were terrible for a chunk of time before they were smooth. Since this is a tech preview, just remember everything isn't guaranteed to be smooth and awesome :)

SerTapTap

one thing i despise about windows update that it takes priority. like for me on my laptop my wifi just completely drops and my memory usage just goes up to 90%. So when something like that happens i go straight to windows update and i see it updating.

Wonder if Prio (saves process priority you set in task manager) can fix that. I use that on my encoding programs so my PC doesn't lock up while I'm encoding multiple GB of video.

clav

BV5EC2C.png

GIVE ME A PROGRESS BAR GODDAMMIT

Feels like the Xbox One day one edition all over again.

Progress bars are highly unreliable.
Yes, similar to that.

Remember, this is a tech preview, and stuff may very well break or regress for a build and then get better. Many times a team has to rebuild/re architect something, which can cause less than stellar usage for a bit. Often times things like the animations are rough approximations that aren't nearly complete. Those who use windows phone's smooth animations.....they were terrible for a chunk of time before they were smooth. Since this is a tech preview, just remember everything isn't guaranteed to be smooth and awesome :)

The most important part is to give feedback. Someone is reviewing all of the complaints.

dLMN8R

Windows Update always works at the lowest priority if you just let it be and let it do its thing. If you manually trigger it to do something in the foreground, then yes it works in the foreground and will take priority over other things.

For this first preview build, I let my home PC just sit there on the internet and didn't touch it. The new build was automatically downloaded and installed overnight, and was ready to go in the morning.

M3d10n

Yeah, this is something MS should look into. The search indexer used to be like that when it was first created and now it mostly does its job without disruption system operation.

Windows Update always works at the lowest priority if you just let it be and let it do its thing. If you manually trigger it to do something in the foreground, then yes it works in the foreground and will take priority over other things.

For this first preview build, I let my home PC just sit there on the internet and didn't touch it. The new build was automatically downloaded and installed overnight, and was ready to go in the morning.

Not quite. It might have low CPU priority, but it will still use 100% of the disk time when it's installing, causing noticeable performance impact on systems with mechanical drives, specially on machines with 4GBs of RAM or less (which use the swap file more frequently).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely looking forward to getting my hands on this as it nears completion. It looks like an awesome OS and even takes some of the thing I really like about OSX while keeping and improving on some of the great things about Windows.

dLMN8R

Yeah, this is something MS should look into. The search indexer used to be like that when it was first created and now it mostly does its job without disruption system operation.

Not quite. It might have low CPU priority, but it will still use 100% of the disk time when it's installing, causing noticeable performance impact on systems with mechanical drives, specially on machines with 4GBs of RAM or less (which use the swap file more frequently).

Windows Update only installs updates at the scheduled maintenance time (which defaults to 2AM) or when significant system idle time is detected (the PC isn't being used for awhile). Low priority means low priority - CPU, disk, network, and every other resource it requires.

Unless you trigger updating manually.

If you see otherwise, submit feedback via the feedback app.

It's actually a bit of a grey area in terms of legality within the US.

VLC is first and foremost a French organization. This means they only need to abide by French laws. In France, VLC is 100% legal and thus there is no issue for them.

However, the concerns generally center around "libdvdcss" codec, which is the codec which allows them to play DVD's. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe the issue is that there are no royalties being paid to the patent owners of the video codec, and that VLC conflicts in some ways with the US law of DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act).

VLC has a section about it on their site, but they very clearly say they don't follow US law and only abide by French law: http://www.videolan.org/legal.html

AlexBasch

I'm gonna test this out. Does it work well in another partition? I'd like to switch back and forth, and I used to do that in the previous 'previews' of 7 and 8, I'm just checking if that's unchanged.

SerTapTap

I'm gonna test this out. Does it work well in another partition? I'd like to switch back and forth, and I used to do that in the previous 'previews' of 7 and 8, I'm just checking if that's unchanged.

I did this and the 10 preview was kinda fucked up (search picks up programs from the other partition, which of course won't work due to lol registry) but it didn't mess up my win 8 install at all. If you hide the other windows install from win 10 somehow it might work better, or for all I know they fixed that--I haven't used it in a while

AlexBasch

I did this and the 10 preview was kinda fucked up (search picks up programs from the other partition, which of course won't work due to lol registry) but it didn't mess up my win 8 install at all. If you hide the other windows install from win 10 somehow it might work better, or for all I know they fixed that--I haven't used it in a while
Good to know! I don't mind if the 10 preview is sketchy, but I'd like to have my 8 partition intact from all that buzz. Don't have spare HDD's right now so partition is my only choice.

Thanks!

Qblivion

This new update is awful. I have two screens, a monitor and a tv. On the tv the ui is scaled up so high it looks like I am running at 640*480 despite actually running at 1080, and then on my monitor the scale is correct but everything is slightly fuzzy.

Mohasus

This new update is awful. I have two screens, a monitor and a tv. On the tv the ui is scaled up so high it looks like I am running at 640*480 despite actually running at 1080, and then on my monitor the scale is correct but everything is slightly fuzzy.

ibjutwhF1OSFWh.png

"Let me choose blablabla"
This is from 8.1, but there should be a similar option in 10.

It's actually a bit of a grey area in terms of legality within the US.

VLC is first and foremost a French organization. This means they only need to abide by French laws. In France, VLC is 100% legal and thus there is no issue for them.

However, the concerns generally center around "libdvdcss" codec, which is the codec which allows them to play DVD's. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe the issue is that there are no royalties being paid to the patent owners of the video codec, and that VLC conflicts in some ways with the US law of DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act).

VLC has a section about it on their site, but they very clearly say they don't follow US law and only abide by French law: http://www.videolan.org/legal.html

LAME, the mp3 codec, doesn't distribute binaries for exactly this reason. The source code is really just a "description" of an mp3 codec, and apparently it isn't subject to Fraunhofer's mp3 patents that way.

In order for you to get LAME, you need to compile it yourself or download it from someone else who compiled it. But if you distribute it, you should have a patent license, I guess depending on your country's patent laws.

Mr_Zombie

Anyone that used previews in the past window os's know how long it usually takes for it to get to beta?

It's the first time Microsoft releases Windows that will be systematically updated (instead of releasing a certain build once in few months), so it's hard to tell.
However, with Windows 8 it was like that:
- Developer Preview: 24th Sepember 2011
- Consumer Preview: 29th February 2012
- Release Preview: 1st June 2012

Release Preview was practically RC. I haven't noticed too many changes between it and the final release. Consumer Preview was stable and had most of important features already implemented (some of them were refined in later releases, though), but not everything worked as in final version.

It's the first time Microsoft releases Windows that will be systematically updated (instead of releasing a certain build once in few months), so it's hard to tell.
However, with Windows 8 it was like that:
- Developer Preview: 24th Sepember 2011
- Consumer Preview: 29th February 2012
- Release Preview: 1st June 2012

Release Preview was practically RC. I haven't noticed too many changes between it and the final release. Consumer Preview was stable and had most of important features already implemented (some of them were refined in later releases, though), but not everything worked as in final version.

For compatibility stuff, is that in the consumer preview or release preview? Or you need to wait for the official release?

Top Bottom