• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

For compatibility stuff, is that in the consumer preview or release preview? Or you need to wait for the official release?

What do you mean "compatibility stuff"?

All of your existing software should be compatible in these preview builds. If something is broken, then it is a bug and you should file it using the feedback application.

I will say that I have yet to run into a compatibility issue though in the pre-release versions. If you are at all concerned about this, then just hold off for the final release.

DarkFlow

Banned
I have the first build of 10 on a USB stick already. I also uninstalled it a big ago to fix some stuff on my HDD. Do they have the new build as a ISO I can download or do I have to use the old build to update.

What do you mean "compatibility stuff"?

All of your existing software should be compatible in these preview builds. If something is broken, then it is a bug and you should file it using the feedback application.

I will say that I have yet to run into a compatibility issue though in the pre-release versions. If you are at all concerned about this, then just hold off for the final release.

I mean if they will improve on the compatibility even more from windows 8? Things that worked on w8 work fine on this preview. I ask because for gaming windows 7 is better for older titles. There was an issue on windows 8 where the frame rate will be cut in half for some reason and the same exact game on the same exact machine will run with better frame rates on windows 7. I am hoping they fix that issue. I did of course report this in the feedback section.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
I have the first build of 10 on a USB stick already. I also uninstalled it a big ago to fix some stuff on my HDD. Do they have the new build as a ISO I can download or do I have to use the old build to update.

Microsoft didn't release an ISO, it's installed through Windows Update.

Mr_Zombie

I mean if they will improve on the compatibility even more from windows 8? Things that worked on w8 work fine on this preview. I ask because for gaming windows 7 is better for older titles. There was an issue on windows 8 where the frame rate will be cut in half for some reason and the same exact game on the same exact machine will run with better frame rates on windows 7. I am hoping they fix that issue. I did of course report this in the feedback section.

It's hard to say, because it's a case by case issue. I have yet to run into any compatibility problems with programs/games that I use/play. But I could say the same for Windows 8 and all its preview builds - everything that I used in Win7 worked fine in Win8.

Guri

I don't use VLC anymore because PotPlayer has many built-in codecs and it works brilliantly. I recommend it to anyone.

By the way, I didn't have any frame rate issues with Windows 8. It got better, actually.

xenist

OH MY GOOD MAHJONG AND SOLITAIRE DON'T WORK ON 9860!!!

M$ STRIKES AGAIN!!!

The notifications and the animations are nice. Nothing broken as far as I can tell.

Hm, I've never experienced this when running Win8. Could you give an example of a game which exhibits this behavior?

Hm, I've never experienced this when running Win8. Could you give an example of a game which exhibits this behavior?

Unreal tournament 99. The frame rate is 28-30 on windows 8 and this preview while on the same exact machine with windows 7 you get 60 fps.

I don't use VLC anymore because PotPlayer has many built-in codecs and it works brilliantly. I recommend it to anyone.

By the way, I didn't have any frame rate issues with Windows 8. It got better, actually.

Try a game like unreal tournament goty and notice the frame rate is about 30 or even lower.

Guri

Unreal tournament 99. The frame rate is 28-30 on windows 8 and this preview while on the same exact machine with windows 7 you get 60 fps.

Try a game like unreal tournament goty and notice the frame rate is about 30 or even lower.

Ah, to be fair I don't have Unreal Tournament. Huh, weird. Maybe you should send this to their Feedback app, considering it's been happening since 8.

I've used all my votes, but your thread seems similar with these two:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...uggestions/6537188-support-older-games-better

https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...971-direct-draw-compatibility-for-older-games

Maybe there's a way to merge them all to get more attention?

Yea i voted for those to. I just felt they didn't elaborate on the issue enough. I am not sure if they can put them together but it at least is there multiple times and might get more attention. Thanks for the votes and if anyone else out there wants to vote and help then feel free to vote.

Yea i voted for those to. I just felt they didn't elaborate on the issue enough. I am not sure if they can put them together but it at least is there multiple times and might get more attention. Thanks for the votes and if anyone else out there wants to vote and help then feel free to vote.

Ahh I see. Man DirectDraw is old so I guess it's not too surprising, but that's a bummer it's deprecated completely and not available even in an unsupported fashion. You could always try to create a Win7 VM and run it in Windows 10 to play those games.

Voted for those as well!

Ahh I see. Man DirectDraw is old so I guess it's not too surprising, but that's a bummer it's deprecated completely and not available even in an unsupported fashion. You could always try to create a Win7 VM and run it in Windows 10 to play those games.

Voted for those as well!

That is the theory from some, if it was deprecated wouldn't the games not run at all though? Also can you vote on this link. (3 votes) The two you voted for is fine but this was the one i made:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...he-frame-rate-issue-that-has-been-in-since-wi

FLAguy954

I kinda missed the charms bar, and the quick way to manage brightness and volume on my laptop - but this is probably a muscle memory thing.

It still works for me, I just installed the Elantech drivers for my laptop and right corner swipe on the touchpad still brings up the charms bar.

That is the theory from some, if it was deprecated wouldn't the games not run at all though? Also can you vote on this link. (3 votes) The two you voted for is fine but this was the one i made:

https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...he-frame-rate-issue-that-has-been-in-since-wi

I haven't exactly gone in-depth and checked, but my assumption would be that the games fall back to software rendering in the absence of DirectDraw which would still allow them to run, but just be slow compared to if they were actually using DirectDraw for hardware acceleration.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
This is brilliant

Windows 10 Includes a Linux-Style Package Manager Named “OneGet”

img_544de284520ff.png

OneGet, a Package Management Framework for Windows

This package manager is called OneGet, and is shipping as part of PowerShell. In a blog post titled “My little secret : Windows PowerShell OneGet” over at Technet, Microsoft’s Garret Serack explains:

“OneGet is a unified interface to package management systems and aims to make Software Discovery, Installation and Inventory (SDII) work via a common set of cmdlets (and eventually a set of APIs). Regardless of the installation technology underneath, users can use these common cmdlets to install/uninstall packages, add/remove/query package repositories, and query a system for the software installed. Included in this CTP is a prototype implementation of a Chocolatey-compatible package manager that can install existing Chocolatey packages.”

Link

This is brilliant

img_544de284520ff.png

This package manager is called OneGet, and is shipping as part of PowerShell. In a blog post titled “My little secret : Windows PowerShell OneGet” over at Technet, Microsoft’s Garret Serack explains:

Link

That's really awesome.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Despite my misgivings, this is shaping up nicely. I wonder how many of the voted features make it in, though. Any word on if tabs are going to make it or not?

M3d10n

Windows Update only installs updates at the scheduled maintenance time (which defaults to 2AM) or when significant system idle time is detected (the PC isn't being used for awhile). Low priority means low priority - CPU, disk, network, and every other resource it requires.

Unless you trigger updating manually.

If you see otherwise, submit feedback via the feedback app.

I'm not talking about Windows 10. I've busted TiWorker.exe hogging 100% of the disk time several times in 8.1 on multiple machines. I guess it never gets a chance to do the scheduled update since those machines are never left idle or put into sleep and ends up doing it as soon as the chance presents itself.

Ultimatum

Banned
would it be a terrible idea to use this as my primary OS? I don't mind dealing with technical issues, and I'll have all my stuff backed up, I just don't really want random crashes

Mr_Zombie

This is brilliant

img_544de284520ff.png

Link

OK, this is big. If they also make a user-friendly GUI version of this, it will be huge. No more "I don't know where all those ads and toolbars came from. I just wanted to download app X" problems with parents and relatives.

xenist

This is brilliant

img_544de284520ff.png

Link

Oh shit. This is great.

This is brilliant

img_544de284520ff.png

Link

I have to jump on the wow train: wow. That's legitimately cool. I really liked Debian's package manager.

This is brilliant

img_544de284520ff.png

Link

They'd be stupid to not integrate this with the app store XD

This is brilliant

img_544de284520ff.png

Link

add a friendly GUI and then we're talking (for the majority of the public that is)

This is brilliant

img_544de284520ff.png

Link

Finally.

nullset2

This is brilliant

img_544de284520ff.png

Link

citizenkaneclap.gif

Now THIS is the kind of stuff you build for the new OS, Microsoft. Will upgrade. Dat Nadella MS

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

start powershell right now in admin mode from windows 8.1 (and probably win 7)

Code:
ps:\> iex ((new-object net.webclient).DownloadString('https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1'))

(you may need to set-executionpolicy unrestricted)

once done

Code:
ps:\> choco install GoogleChrome

there you go. google chrome installed.

package gallery here.

https://chocolatey.org/packages

this exists now and is basically what one-get is. run the above and you're good to go.
Powershell is the best shell.

clav

This is brilliant

img_544de284520ff.png

Link

I need to learn Power Shell.

Already have terminal and cmd.

Fantastic news.

anyone have an issue not being able to connect to the skype app? i haven't been able to connect since forever. unsure if it's wifi problem or windows 10.

Top Bottom