• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Mr_Zombie

Can you play games on it yet? Only reason I'm holding back in case of surprise Dark Souls times.

Yes, you can do anything on it. It's a fully functional OS, only in development state. So there still might be glitches, bugs, not fully implemented features etc. It may also be a bit unoptimized (I've noticed that searching works slower than in Windows 8.1).

Klocker

yea its already pretty good, only issue i have so far is my surface pro (1) runs really hot with it compared to 8.1

at first I was wierded out by the apps running on desktop but now i find it to be really cool. i use surface as a tablet rarely use keyboard, mouse so looking foward to more touch features

I'm having trouble also. It definitely seems to be a Windows 10 problem.

i think it's wifi. i've been having limited wifi issues. no problem before W10. hopefully it's just incompatible drivers (will check if theres an update) but yeah. :\

some of the the apps don't work because of bad connection

SPDIF

i think it's wifi. i've been having limited wifi issues. no problem before W10. hopefully it's just incompatible drivers (will check if theres an update) but yeah. :\

some of the the apps don't work because of bad connection

Well to be more specific, for me it seems to be a problem with the Skype Metro (or whatever you want to call it nowadays) app on Windows 10. It's impossible for me to sign in with the app, but if I download the desktop version everything works fine.

Well to be more specific, for me it seems to be a problem with the Skype Metro (or whatever you want to call it nowadays) app on Windows 10. It's impossible for me to sign in with the app, but if I download the desktop version everything works fine.

have you had any trouble downloading apps from the store? i was trying to download the music deal app and it wouldn't sometimes. give it a go and see. also some other stuff happens to as well. wish i can figure this out lol.

SPDIF

have you had any trouble downloading apps from the store? i was trying to download the music deal app and it wouldn't sometimes. give it a go and see. also some other stuff happens to as well. wish i can figure this out lol.

Nope. I can download anything from the store. The Skype problem is the only major issue I've had so far. Strange.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member

I can connect with Metro or the desktop version no problem, wired connection though.

Congrats @neowinfeed for spotting MKV playback in Media Player in 9860. I can now make it official: Win10 supports MKV codec out of the box.

Did Windows 8 not have it?

clav

ZD97WvU.png

Part of PowerShell - don't see a frontend GUI in the near future.

Presser also says it will be a set of APIs so likely there will be visual package managers down the line:

OneGet is a unified interface to package management systems and aims to make Software Discovery, Installation and Inventory (SDII) work via a common set of cmdlets (and eventually a set of APIs).​

Native MKV support:
Some of you have noticed that Build 9860 brought native support for the MKV file format. In Build 9879, we’re making the experience “more complete”. You can now play MKV files directly from Windows Media Player (as well as other desktop and modern apps), MKV files will show thumbnails and metadata in File Explorer, support for DLNA and Play To scenarios has been added, and more. We recently brought MKV support to the Xbox One. We also added platform support for H.265 HEVC for Windows 10 as well, and we’re not done here yet. More news to come on this later.
coolsies.

dLMN8R

eh i'll wait for the next build to upgrade.

if you're already using the Windows 10 preview, just FYI updates are all automatic and you cannot turn them off. Part of the deal signing up for a preview. So if you don't force the new preview build to install now, it'll install automatically some time in the next week.

smurfx

get some go again
if you're already using the Windows 10 preview, just FYI updates are all automatic and you cannot turn them off. Part of the deal signing up for a preview. So if you don't force the new preview build to install now, it'll install automatically some time in the next week.
this preview is on fast right? i put it on slow.

this preview is on fast right? i put it on slow.

Well, eventually you will still get the build.

The difference between Fast and Slow is that Fast gets the build ASAP. Once they push out fixes for the two major items they mentioned and there are no other major issues, then people on the Slow ring will get the update. I would say that most likely by the end of the month you'll get the update, unless something major crops up. The way I look at it is like the Xbox Preview program. Preview Members = Fast Ring. Non-preview folk = Slow ring.

Also there is a major IE update in this preview. 2000+ fixes, 19 new platform features and a new architecture designed for interoperability. Definitely worth a read, especially if you are a web developer: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/...e-edge-our-next-step-in-interoperability.aspx

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

dbztrk

OK, this is big. If they also make a user-friendly GUI version of this, it will be huge. No more "I don't know where all those ads and toolbars came from. I just wanted to download app X" problems with parents and relatives.

I'm so glad you said this because I had no idea what OneGet was based on the explanation above.

Sounds good to me.

finally got the new preview build finally installed. they moved the notification closer to the clock and moved the popup down. which is cool i guess. seems the search loads up much faster now. it was a bit laggy for me before

Skype app works for me now FINALLy lol

DarkFlow

Banned
Anyone using the new build? My NumLock doesn't work, and CAPSlock is stuck on.

EDIT: Well they work now, but the lights don't work on my keyboard. You would think a MS Sidewinder X4 would work fine with windows.

Road

- Insider Hub was a good idea.
- Start menu search didn't get any improvement this time, sadly -- still missing all the basic stuff.
- Finally added the option to hide the search and multiple desktop buttons from the task bar.
- Feedback app goes in the opposite direction of everything else and keeps getting worse and worse with each new build. I've been hit by this bug: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ecognize/6fc9b35b-8141-4045-b17a-f53ecd5ca6ae

Didn't spend much time with it to notice anything else.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I appreciate the improvements for developers, but unless things have changed since the initial preview I don't like the "Run Admin in Admin Approval Mode" setting as a requirement for modern apps. Messes with source code management and various scripting tools that require real admin rights while simultaneously calling into apps installed into user 2nd class admin. I'm going to put psexec everywhere which is pretty annoying. Been deferring this for years because Windows 8 build/test was always a manual once per release thing while win7 is continuous. If there is a registry or system hack somewhere to remove this requirement I will script it when imaging/setting up all PCs.

Cronee

Is anyone else having issues with explorer (the desktop, not IE) glitching graphically and subsequently crashing? This issue just started when I updated to the latest build. It seems to work fine for a few minutes after a fresh boot or reboot but after some time it starts acting up. The clock doesn't update, the task bar doesn't function (clicking any icon results in nothing loading or sometimes the icons just disappear), and when I right click on the desktop a blank menu appears. If I run my mouse over it everything pops in but there are odd color bars between the options and then explorer crashes.

Everything's been great until this build dropped and I'm sure they'll iron out the issues. I'm actually looking forward to Win10's release and I haven't looked forward to ANY Windows release since 2000 came out.

I appreciate the improvements for developers, but unless things have changed since the initial preview I don't like the "Run Admin in Admin Approval Mode" setting as a requirement for modern apps. Messes with source code management and various scripting tools that require real admin rights while simultaneously calling into apps installed into user 2nd class admin. I'm going to put psexec everywhere which is pretty annoying. Been deferring this for years because Windows 8 build/test was always a manual once per release thing while win7 is continuous. If there is a registry or system hack somewhere to remove this requirement I will script it when imaging/setting up all PCs.

Out of curiosity, what tools are you using that require admin mode? I can see if you're doing driver development or something, but when you're talking about source code tools or scripting languages it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing.

Only real issue I've been having with the latest build has been Windows restarting my PC instead of shutting it down when I tell it to. Thank jeebus that Shift + Shut Down still works.

Top Bottom