• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

dLMN8R

I'll update to see if it fixes the annoying metro/modern apps opening up from nowhere.

It won't. That bug is still around. Known, but still not fixed yet.

Inside scoop? There's been a feature since 8.1 which automatically launches certain apps in the background so that they load faster when you actually want them. Kinda like SuperFetch. The bug is that they're accidentally launched in the foreground :-X

Herr K

Banned
It won't. That bug is still around. Known, but still not fixed yet.

Inside scoop? There's been a feature since 8.1 which automatically launches certain apps in the background so that they load faster when you actually want them. Kinda like SuperFetch. The bug is that they're accidentally launched in the foreground :-X

Damn. But it's a really interesting thing that background loading

Coreda

It won't. That bug is still around.

Mightn't be related to this, but when first installing W8.1 I noticed the included PDF viewer app kept itself open in the background even after ending the task multiple times. Finally just decided to uninstall it, only to discover there was no way to re-install it without signing up with a Microsoft account. At least closing modern apps via the new close button seems to fix this on 8.1.

clav

Plausible reason why Windows is version 10.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2004/02/13/72476.aspx

Version numbers. Very important. And so many people check them wrong.
This is why Windows 95's GetVersion function returned 3.95 instead of 4.0. A lot of code checked the version number like this:

UINT Ver = GetVersion();
UINT MajorVersion = LOBYTE(uVer);
UINT MinorVersion = HIBYTE(uVer);
if (MajorVersion < 3 || MinorVersion < 10) {
Error("This program requires Windows 3.1");
}

Now consider what happens when the version number is reported as 4.0. The major version check passes, but the minor version check fails since 0 is less than 10.

This bug was so rife that we gave up shimming every app that had the problem and just decided, "Fine. If anybody asks, say that the Windows version is 3.95."

I suspect this is also why DirectX always reports its version as 4.x.

Windows Vista : 6.0
Windows 7: 6.1
Windows 8: 6.2
Windows 8.1: 6.3

What a disaster in numbering for the sake of application compatibility.

Windows 8.1 is really Windows 9.

Ha ha, I quoted that exact blog post way earlier in the thread.

I don't think that's the reason the product is named Windows 10. There's no reason they couldn't call it Windows 9 and have GetVersion return something else, like they have in the past.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member

Again, it's not a rumor, it's a joke.

Us engineers who have been working on this product for the last many months didn't find out about the name Windows 10 until yesterday!

Even the highest-profile people explicitly focusing on compatibility issues didn't find out till yesterday.

So definitely not the reason.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I'm liking the new visual stuff, but OneDrive is awful. When I save a document I cannot see my OneDrive folder in file explorer. I have to go to the top select recent folders and go from there. I've written this in the feedback. Hope it gets fixed soon unless I'm doing something wrong.

M3d10n

People joked about it, but the whole "some programs would mistake it for windows 95/98" definitely would happen if they called it "Windows 9", specially in programs written in Java and other high-level cross-platform languages/frameworks.

Reading Windows' version number is particular to Windows. Many developers using platform-agnostic languages/frameworks rely on reading the OS name to do their platform-specific tasks. This shouldn't be a problem for applications written in the past 10 years, because almost nobody even bothered checking for win9x, but there is older software in the wild that does that. Worse it, they might check for win9x to warn the user the software is not compatible with win9x and refuse to run. Even worse, that's most likely to be very expensive enterprise/corporate software that some huge company still uses to this day (this is the whole reason IE has such a hard time moving forward and can't abandon ActiveX, for example).

So, there would be compatibility issues calling it "Windows 9". However, they didn't have to call it "Windows 10" and could have come up with a name that isn't based on a number instead, like XP, ME and Vista were.

What's with 8.1 with a 6.3 marker instead of keeping 6.2?

I think it's because 8.1 is actually a new kernel under the hood. The 8.1 update process is not the same as a Service Pack update (which is just a bunch of Windows Updates rolled in a single installer): it actually performs an in-place OS upgrade just like the one you can do from Vista to 7 and from 7 to 8.

clav

I think it's because 8.1 is actually a new kernel under the hood. The 8.1 update process is not the same as a Service Pack update (which is just a bunch of Windows Updates rolled in a single installer): it actually performs an in-place OS upgrade just like the one you can do from Vista to 7 and from 7 to 8.

Must be a new kernel since Outlook 2003 stops working in 8.1 as Exchange 2003 doesn't work any more.

jstripes

Banned
One Windows Anti-Malware starts its scheduled scan, the one where it starts when you leave it idle for 10 minutes, is there any way to stop it? Because it's really, really annoying.

Has anybody received emails from either of these two addresses?
I just got two and I've never seen @e-mail.microsoft.com used before. Are they fake?

v lol

I have one from the former email address.

Lots of red flags were raised.
1) Even though it was sent by that email address, the reply to field is this email address: reply-fe9817717261067875-866153_HTML-794437432-10022325-1122@email.microsoftemail.com
2) Every single link in the email is obscured. For example, instead of linking directly to the Windows Technical Preview forum, it links to click.email.microsoftemail.com/?qs=c52de58c5321d5d.... (link truncated by more than half)

Despite all of those red flags, it seems as if microsoftemail.com is a valid Microsoft domain, which is really kind of weird. Companies shouldn't send emails which look like spam, lol.

(Edit: It looks like NeoGAF's option to not automatically parse links in the post doesn't work anymore... Oh well.)

most employees are @Microsoft.com

I'm surprised it's coming via @e-mail.microsoft.com. Perhaps the outward facing employees use those emails for mass correspondance

Be very weary of links in these emails. Tend to check the official blogs/sites by yourself.

Scammers and spoofers are all too prevalent and all too savvy sometimes.

Mr_Zombie

What was the subject line? That was definitely not the domain that was used in the email so I think I'll just throw this into spam.

Title was "Windows Insider Program: Good-to-know information".
It was sent from gabe.aul@e-mail.microsoft.com via email.microsoftemail.com

And yeah, the e-mail was weird. All links went to click.email.microsoftemail.com (with parameters) and all it contain was info that someone in Insider Program should already know for weeks.

Keen eyed #WindowsInsiders will notice something cool about this pic. Something to look forward to in the new year!

B3UkZ7MCQAAGmlu.png:large

Seems like flac support will be in.

Media Player is long overdue for revamping. It's so blatantly 2007 Vista. But then, why have both Xbox Music which is the new way to manage music, and the old Media Player?

Anyone knows how long after the release of W7, games stopped supporting VISTA?

I'm currently wondering how long it will take for Windows7 to be abandoned, in terms of games supporting the OS.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This last update has been pretty terrible for me since updating yesterday.

1) I've had the machine hard lock up twice this morning.
2) My Steelseries Merc Stealth keyboard no longer seems to work properly. It's a gaming keyboard and has a left panel with customizable keys but none of the custom key combos are working at all. It's just using whatever the default is. Spent 2 hours trying to get it to work and no dice. Almost went back to Windows 8 because of this alone.
3) OneDrive setup won't let me select the folder I was using on another drive which has my synced files in it. It says that I can either use that folder and have the files merge or choose another folder. The option to use that folder is missing and the setup can't complete.
4) My Remote Desktop app isn't working and I can't even open the Store. The icon is highlighted on the Taskbar for the Store but there is no window for it......just tried it again, now it's saying Element Not Found.

I may have to go back to 8.1

EDIT: Got the store working by deleting the cache and was then able to install Remote Desktop from there which fixed that.

smurfx

get some go again
system finally updated on slow and i then installed some of the nov updates and i can't restart the system properly. it hangs right before i get the login screen.

edit: tried system restore and booted back safely. installed 1 of the updates to test and the 30MB update gave me the same problem. going to try restoring again and installing the small update and seeing if that does the same.

Caleb187

Heads up for anyone that's recently updated to Build 9879: this build seems to introduce a bug that crashes the Steam Client Service. The result is after about 20 minutes in a Steam game this service will crash, followed by the Steam program and also the game you're playing.

If you're playing Dota2, you can fix it by going into services.msc and disabling/stopping the Steam Client Service. However games that use VAC like CS:GO and TF2 will not allow you to join a server with this service disabled. It doesn't look like there's a fix yet by either Valve or Microsoft so I'm considering reformatting back to Win7. Anyone else experiencing this and have a better solution?

Zeknurn

Heads up for anyone that's recently updated to Build 9879: this build seems to introduce a bug that crashes the Steam Client Service. The result is after about 20 minutes in a Steam game this service will crash, followed by the Steam program and also the game you're playing.

If you're playing Dota2, you can fix it by going into services.msc and disabling/stopping the Steam Client Service. However games that use VAC like CS:GO and TF2 will not allow you to join a server with this service disabled. It doesn't look like there's a fix yet by either Valve or Microsoft so I'm considering reformatting back to Win7. Anyone else experiencing this and have a better solution?

This has affected my friend ever since he got the build from the fast ring. I just updated on the slow ring and have yet to experience it. But I sent feedback to Microsoft about it anyway. They did something to break it so they should be able to fix it if Valve does not do so themselves.

I've had Dota 2 running for the last 25 minutes (spectating game), no issues so far... will run it a little longer to see if anything happens

Got 6789 through slow ring yesterday

edit: 35-40 mins no issues

glaurung

I've had Dota 2 running for the last 25 minutes (spectating game), no issues so far... will run it a little longer to see if anything happens

Got 6789 through slow ring yesterday

edit: 35-40 mins no issues
Could be resolved if you're using the beta version of Steam. Cannot know for sure, don't quote me on this.

Jzero

Ah, is that why Guacamelee keeps crashing?

M3d10n

Media Player is long overdue for revamping. It's so blatantly 2007 Vista. But then, why have both Xbox Music which is the new way to manage music, and the old Media Player?

Xbox Music can't be extended with 3rd party codecs, WMP can. You bet some people would lose their shit if MS announced they were removing WMP: even with the announcement that W10 will run modern apps in windows on the desktop, you have people still saying they'll uninstall all modern apps as soon as they install W10.

smurfx

get some go again
looks like neither of the hot fixes microsoft provided fixed my black screen issue. guess i have to wait until the next iso release. -_-

So for those using the OS, does this OS actually feel like what a modern, 2015 version of Windows should be like? Honestly, from a lot of the previews I've seen so far, Windows 10 still feels like yet another iteration of Windows 8/8.1 with Microsoft still trying to get their shit together in a somewhat frankensteinish fashion, rather than making progress toward a fresh start of what a 2015/2016 OS should look like.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So for those using the OS, does this OS actually feel like what a modern, 2015 version of Windows should be like? Honestly, from a lot of the previews I've seen so far, Windows 10 still feels like yet another iteration of Windows 8/8.1 with Microsoft still trying to get their shit together in a somewhat frankensteinish fashion, rather than making progress toward a fresh start of what a 2015/2016 OS should look like.

Isn't this completely subjective? If you expected them to dump everything that they did with Windows 8 and start fresh you had unrealistic expectations.

The reasons for the changes in Windows 8 are very sound, having a unified OS that works on all devices is the way to go, not having different OSes for phone, tablet, desktop, game console...eventually even watches. So many devices these days are hybrids that that solution doesn't work.

What they've done with Windows 10 is make improvements to make working on those various devices work better for that device while keeping the overall philosophy the same.

Ovek

7Member7

Wait and see what they announce consumer wise in January but Microsoft will be Microsoft and to hazard a guess Windows 10 will look and feel just like Windows Xp/2000 or fuck even NT with some different icons.

Top Bottom