• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Mr_Zombie

Not to mention, I think it's a little too early to say whether Windows 10 feels like a modern (or even good) system or not. There are few new features and fixes for things that people found annoying in Windows 8/8.1, but it's still just an early developer version and a lot of things are undercooked. And I bet a lot of new features still aren't fully implemented.

According to The Verge Microsoft will unveil the consumer preview of Win 10 in January. And looking back at Windows 8, the difference between Developers Preview and Consumer Preview was huge.

Not to mention, I think it's a little too early to say whether Windows 10 feels like a modern (or even good) system or not. There are few new features and fixes for things that people found annoying in Windows 8/8.1, but it's still just an early developer version and a lot of things are undercooked. And I bet a lot of new features still aren't fully implemented.

According to The Verge Microsoft will unveil the consumer preview of Win 10 in January. And looking back at Windows 8, the difference between Developers Preview and Consumer Preview was huge.

Never messed with the previews and stuff in the past. Is the consumer preview what the final product will be? Also what huge differences did you notice? Compatibility wise was there a difference?

So for those using the OS, does this OS actually feel like what a modern, 2015 version of Windows should be like? Honestly, from a lot of the previews I've seen so far, Windows 10 still feels like yet another iteration of Windows 8/8.1 with Microsoft still trying to get their shit together in a somewhat frankensteinish fashion, rather than making progress toward a fresh start of what a 2015/2016 OS should look like.
What does a 2015 OS look like?

They are pushing towards a unified OS. Windows 8's problem wasn't this mentality, it was its lack of specific adaptability. Windows 10 has that though.

Seth C

Never messed with the previews and stuff in the past. Is the consumer preview what the final product will be? Also what huge differences did you notice? Compatibility wise was there a difference?

The consumer preview is, generallly speaking, feature complete. They don't tend to make lots of changes to functionality after that point. It's just about finding bugs and that sort of thing.

maeh2k

So for those using the OS, does this OS actually feel like what a modern, 2015 version of Windows should be like? Honestly, from a lot of the previews I've seen so far, Windows 10 still feels like yet another iteration of Windows 8/8.1 with Microsoft still trying to get their shit together in a somewhat frankensteinish fashion, rather than making progress toward a fresh start of what a 2015/2016 OS should look like.

What do you expect them to do when all their users are clamoring for them to go back to a slightly improved 2009 OS?

smurfx

get some go again
ended up reinstalling windows 10 and downloaded update 9879 again. that seemed to fix my black screen issue.

Lunar15

So, I'm building a new computer this month and I'm not really keen on shelling out for a new copy of Windows. Is there significant risk in just booting up with the technical preview of windows 10 and using that until the final version is released?

Mr_Zombie

Rather not. The system is pretty stable and works like Windows 8.1 with few improvements here and there (some of those new features might look unfinished, though). There might be some issues if you set the update system to "fast" (i.e. you will get new builds as soon as they are released, instead of after they are fully tested) - the last "fast" build had tendency to BSOD. "Slow" updates should be fine.

The only major risk is that Microsoft collects all the usage data, including keystroke logging. If you're concern about your privacy that much this might be a turn off.

Erasus

So, I'm building a new computer this month and I'm not really keen on shelling out for a new copy of Windows. Is there significant risk in just booting up with the technical preview of windows 10 and using that until the final version is released?

It wont reformat your drivge by itself but dont expect all your programs/games to work

clav

Yes. Some things might not work in newer builds.

Just wait until final release since you're asking this question.

I have it installed on a retired desktop.

zsswimmer

The only major risk is that Microsoft collects all the usage data, including keystroke logging. If you're concern about your privacy that much this might be a turn off.

That's pretty concerning, I know with Windows 8 you can opt out of all that stuff in the settings. Are there not options to turn it off?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Unfortunately I've had to go back to 8.1, the last build was completely broken for me. It got the to the point where none of my apps would work and stuff like my keyboard weren't working properly like they were with the previous build.

I'll see what the consumer preview brings but I'm not keen on reinstalling all my software for the 3rd time in 3 months.

M3d10n

Yeah thats true. Hopefully there will be options to turn it off in the full release.

They won't be collecting keystrokes past the beta. That's lunacy and would cause a major shitstorm.

(It also generates a giant amount of useless junk data since the number of people using even a release-candidate version would be orders of magnitude greater than those using the beta)

Falcs

Banned

Keystrokes? Nah... Seriously??!

So should I be changing my internet banking details?

No I guess not, but it would only take one employee at said company to care...
Any type of Personal info is heavily heavily guarded, a very select people would have acces. Randomized info like 'frequency of peoe pressing blah' is more easily grabbed, as it's not able to personally match with a person. (This is all IIRC, so take it with a grain of salt)

Zeknurn

Anyone know if setting Windows Update to "alert me when updates are available" will prevent automatic preview build updates? Or is it a separate system.

Anyone know if setting Windows Update to "alert me when updates are available" will prevent automatic preview build updates? Or is it a separate system.

I'm preventing the latest build update as it breaks Oculus support and I'm running Windows 10 on my gaming machine. I set it to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to update and install them", but this didn't seem to stop it attempting to install the latest build. Once a day, it'd try, and fail to update. I then found a reg edit from a Microsoft guy on twitter that prevents automatic build updates -- open regedit and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability" and change "BranchName=fbl_release" to "BranchName=fbl_release_noflight". You can change it back to re-enable build updates at any time.

Zeknurn

I'm preventing the latest build update as it breaks Oculus support and I'm running Windows 10 on my gaming machine. I set it to "Check for updates, but let me choose whether to update and install them", but this didn't seem to stop it attempting to install the latest build. Once a day, it'd try, and fail to update. I then found a reg edit from a Microsoft guy on twitter that prevents automatic build updates -- open regedit and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability" and change "BranchName=fbl_release" to "BranchName=fbl_release_noflight". You can change it back to re-enable build updates at any time.

Ha. My reason is for wanting to block preview updates is exactly the same. 9879 was pretty messed up so I thought I'd give 9888 a try as the Oculus Rift works on it. The build worked better than 9879 aside the fact that it made some other software unable to run. Probably due to the kernel number change. Hopefully this won't be the case in future builds when they decide to push this change to Windows Insiders.

So now I'm back on the initial build, in the process of updating to 9860 and I'm going to apply the registry change you suggested.

Thank you.

Ha. My reason is for wanting to block preview updates is exactly the same. 9879 was pretty messed up so I thought I'd give 9888 a try as the Oculus Rift works on it. The build worked better than 9879 aside the fact that it made some other software unable to run. Probably due to the kernel number change. Hopefully this won't be the case in future builds when they decide to push this change to Windows Insiders.

So now I'm back on the initial build, in the process of updating to 9860 and I'm going to apply the registry change you suggested.

Thank you.

No problem. Yeah I heard Oculus works on 9888. Worried about updating though as it's not an official release. How are you updating to 9860? It seemed to me like it just jumps to the latest build, and attempts to go straight from 9841 to 9879, so I'm stuck on 9841 for now.

Zeknurn

No problem. Yeah I heard Oculus works on 9888. Worried about updating though as it's not an official release. How are you updating to 9860? It seemed to me like it just jumps to the latest build, and attempts to go straight from 9841 to 9879, so I'm stuck on 9841 for now.

I was under the impression that you had to go through each build when updating from scratch. At least that's what I remember Thurrott mentioning on Windows Weekly when he went through the motion.

I guess I should look into this before actually installing the update. Thanks yet again.

linkboy

I think I'm going to stick with 8.1 until the consumer preview drops. The last time I had 10 installed, it jacked all my permissions up and I couldn't even drag files to my desktop

I was under the impression that you had to go through each build when updating from scratch. At least that's what I remember Thurrott mentioning on Windows Weekly when he went through the motion.

I guess I should look into this before actually installing the update. Thanks yet again.

When mine was failing to update from 9841 I noticed just before it rolled back that the watermark changed to 9879, so I assume it's just skipping 9860 now. Let me know if you have any success with it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see the ability to have apps install to the SD card by default in the recent leaked build.

Looking forward to the event next month.

KorrZ

Been using Windows 10 on my work PC since the tech preview came out with almost no issues. There was a spotty 2-3 weeks where I'd lose my networking if my PC locked but a reboot would fix it.

All in all I'm a fan - hopefully the consumer preview is even better.

I have to say I was initially very disappointed with how this OS looked when they revealed it.

Having used it for weeks now it is really growing on me, everything about it just feels 'better than' compared to Windows 8 and it is still a year away.

I've had a play with the latest leaked build 9901 on a friends machine and it's just getting better and better.

Top Bottom