• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Ape

Banned
A MS browser with extensions. Could be good but a new separate browser might be ignored if IE is default as usual.

And no more confusing metro/desktop options where picking one removes the other.

Lots of commons sense being put into Windows 10

Nero3000

A MS browser with extensions. Could be good but a new separate browser might be ignored if IE is default as usual.

And no more confusing metro/desktop options where picking one removes the other.

Seems to be one application that switches engine automatically based on compatibility requirements of the website.

http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-explorer-12-big-changes-are-coming-to-trident

Also i guess there will no longer be a metro/desktop IE, but one IE that has both fullscreen and windowed states.

In terms of updating to a new build, the instuctions on Microsoft's site.
To set when and how often you get new builds
Click the Start button Windows Start button, type update settings, and then click Windows Update settings.
Click Preview builds, click the top list, and then select Fast or Slow.

Click Change the time my PC installs preview builds, and then select what time you want builds to be installed.
I don't have that option in preview builds though :/ Currently build 9841

Anything for Windows Phone?

I was going to upgrade to a Nexus 6 or Galaxy Note 4, but I'm waiting what CES will show.

I'm expecting current Windows Phone devices to be orphaned again when MS moves to this unified Windows model. I wonder how many times WP owners will accept being abandoned and left for dead before they give up and stop buying WP.

maeh2k

I'm expecting current Windows Phone devices to be orphaned again when MS moves to this unified Windows model. I wonder how many times WP owners will accept being abandoned and left for dead before they give up and stop buying WP.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7216421/microsoft-says-every-lumia-windows-phone-8-device-will-get-windows-10

Edit: if they'll really manage to get most Lumias on Windows 10 that would be truly amazing and it would go far beyond the the support any Android devices typically get.

Well okay. I guess that's good for Lumia owners.

Is this tacit acknowledgment that every third party manufacturer which made Windows Phones has now dropped the platform though? They seem awfully specific about only Lumia devices making the leap for some reason.

Doesn't that happen with Android users every two years?

"But Android" is the mobile equivalent of "Sony Too" on the Gaming side.

maeh2k

Is this tacit acknowledgment that every third party manufacturer which made Windows Phones has now dropped the platform though? They seem awfully specific about only Lumia devices making the leap for some reason.

In this case, the tweet specifically asked @Lumia, so I wouldn't read too much into it. But you're right; there's a good chance the other OEMs won't update their old devices. I'd say there's a decent chance HTC will update their M8 variant, though. However, considering that Lumias represent the vast majority of Windows Phones, it probably doesn't much matter.

Doffen

It's good for the majority.

There are several third party manufactures for Windows Phone, let me give you a list for 8.1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Windows_Phone_8.1_devices

"But Android" is the mobile equivalent of "Sony Too" on the Gaming side.

So it's a phrase used by invested owners of said product; to brush of any type of negative comparison to a product/company they don't like being associated with?

windows10themefull.0.jpg

Leaked pic of the latest build, theme and new spartan browser.

Love how classier it looks now with a decent dark theme.

Never been this excited for an OS since Windows 7 after Vista.

Loved the theme too, but hopefully it supports changing colors.

But I mostly love the onenote button on the Spartan window. I knew they wouldn't disappoint me!

Zeknurn

Has anyone credible verfied it? Because that looks like a fan mockup.

too flat minimalistic for me. but fuck it. give it to me. when is the next update going to roll out? i assume around march?

On the 21st this month or the following days like with the previous event.

Has anyone credible verfied it? Because that looks like a fan mockup.

On the 21st this month or the following days like with the previous event.

The Verge posted it, I hope this is the build being released in January.

Latest build? Look at the date. *smh*

You really think someone took a pic at midnight on the dot?

I'm running build 9901 which has a less refined version of that taskbar which is an earlier build so.....

dLMN8R

You really think someone took a pic at midnight on the dot?

I'm running build 9901 which has a less refined version of that taskbar which is an earlier build so.....

What makes you think this screenshot is actually real? Could easily be a mockup someone drew then took a photo with a camera of the mockup to make people think it was real. And if it was that new, why would they choose a date from 6 months ago?

JaggedSac

What makes you think this screenshot is actually real? Could easily be a mockup someone drew then took a photo with a camera of the mockup to make people think it was real. And if it was that new, why would they choose a date from 6 months ago?

Post a real pic to nip this in the bud.

The Cowboy

That's pretty hideous to me, really don't like it all (hopefully its just the horrid black theme making it look so bad). Kinda hoping we can have a IE11 style skin for it (or at least allowing tabs on the address bar area ala IE11), i don't care what anyone says - i prefer the look of IE11 over all other browsers.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
if it is real then I'm glad they're finally getting rid of that weird side tab setup in IE

I mean they could've done it years ago but Microsoft gonna Microsoft.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
windows10themefull.0.jpg

Leaked pic of the latest build, theme and new spartan browser.

Love how classier it looks now with a decent dark theme.

Never been this excited for an OS since Windows 7 after Vista.

Wow, that's really nice.

if it is real then I'm glad they're finally getting rid of that weird side tab setup in IE

I mean they could've done it years ago but Microsoft gonna Microsoft.

IE tabs are on the top, not sure what you're referring to.

anyone have the issue where sometimes you come back from sleep mode there's duplicate processes of certain things? (laptop)

EDIT: not really a W10 issue but a general one it seems.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was playing around with 10 last night and after having to fuck around with 8.1 during the holidays I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't hate the crap out of it. They really did take the good stuff of 8 and make sure it felt closer to 7. I'm a Mac user but need to use Windows occasionally. So I'm glad to have one that doesn't suck as much as 8 did.

When I comes out I will definitely convince my mom and sister to update their Win 8.1 laptops. They'll probably like it much better.

really hope that's a sign that microsoft are doing some serious ui overhaul in terms of aesthetics. i actually love how 8 works, minus a few niggles, but the vista icons really needed to be axed. can't wait for the 21st. is that a consumer event or more developer-orientated?

Majine

Banned
I am a fan of lineart (<--), so that leaked screen appeals to me. Hope they can make it all feel cohesive. My biggest issue with W8 was how it felt like 2 OSes ducktaped together.

The Verge posted it and CNBeta has leaked lots of legitimate windows stuff in the past.

I prefer the old look, guessing they will still have that option?

No, there will be a dark and light version but it wont look like Windows 8. If you mean the browser, again no it is a built from the ground up thing.
I am a fan of lineart (<--), so that leaked screen appeals to me. Hope they can make it all feel cohesive. My biggest issue with W8 was how it felt like 2 OSes ducktaped together.

That was my biggest gripe with Windows 8 and the reason I switched to running Windows 10 Technical Preview exclusively, everything about it feels 'greater than', all the modern stuff opens in windows now rather than taking you away from the desktop and into some full screen mode.

Not feeling the task bar.

You can disable the search box and any buttons and make it look like Windows 8 if you wanted.

Top Bottom