• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

I'm only interested in the touch enabled version. I hope windows 10 on touch will be good, because I am serious when I say that windows 8.1 is the best operation system for me as a surface pro user. I enjoy switching between desktop and touch whenever needed, but I mostly stay in metro. And what I have seen of windows 10s touch interface doesn't look too hot for me. January 21st can't come soon enough, so they convince me.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The touch interface is exactly the same as Windows 8, the only difference is modern apps launched from the desktop don't open fullscreen.

yeah there is a few more snapping options as well I think, basically the've nailed down the switching between touch/nontouch devices properly now.

scently

Don't know if anyone can help but I am having a problem with my usb modem on this preview. When I plug in the usb modem the program starts and it functions correctly excerpt for the internet part. I can call with it, I can receive text but once I try to connect to the net with it, it disconnects immediately. It works on W7 and W8 so it seems to be specific with W10.

Any suggestions on what to do?

The touch interface is exactly the same as Windows 8, the only difference is modern apps launched from the desktop don't open fullscreen.

Windows10_interface_moderna_touch.png

I dislike this view with the task bar and that list on the left

Pakoe

The Verge posted it and CNBeta has leaked lots of legitimate windows stuff in the past.

No, there will be a dark and light version but it wont look like Windows 8. If you mean the browser, again no it is a built from the ground up thing.

That was my biggest gripe with Windows 8 and the reason I switched to running Windows 10 Technical Preview exclusively, everything about it feels 'greater than', all the modern stuff opens in windows now rather than taking you away from the desktop and into some full screen mode.

You can disable the search box and any buttons and make it look like Windows 8 if you wanted.

I meant the Windows Classic look, or is that also gone :'(.
Oh well, i can get used to it i guess.

Who cares? I'd rather use an os where independent developers can make shitty icons, than one where everything has to be curated by an all powerful company.

What are you even talking about? This has nothing to do with apps being curated and everything to do with Microsoft designing a task bar that will make 99% of icons look out of place. (If that picture is real)

Jinkies

What are you even talking about? This has nothing to do with apps being curated and everything to do with Microsoft designing a task bar that will make 99% of icons look out of place. (If that picture is real)
But it isn't different from Windows 8, and I think icons don't look out of place in that.

If you have a non-touch Desktop, can you still opt to use the Metro Start Screen? Because having used Windows 8, I vastly prefer it to the Start Menu

Yes, that's what the screenshot shows.

Have you not seen Windows 10 start menu, it is a hybrid of both.

windows-9-technical-preview-leak-590x330.jpg

You can still pin live tiles to the new start menu and it doesnt take up the full screen, you get the best of both worlds.

I'm only interested in the touch enabled version. I hope windows 10 on touch will be good, because I am serious when I say that windows 8.1 is the best operation system for me as a surface pro user. I enjoy switching between desktop and touch whenever needed, but I mostly stay in metro. And what I have seen of windows 10s touch interface doesn't look too hot for me. January 21st can't come soon enough, so they convince me.

10 will be better for touch users. It will be better for both input types thAn 8.1.

I can't guarantee it, but there is a lot of emphasis on making sure both experiences are top fucking notch.

In terms of updating to a new build, the instuctions on Microsoft's site.
To set when and how often you get new builds
Click the Start button Windows Start button, type update settings, and then click Windows Update settings.
Click Preview builds, click the top list, and then select Fast or Slow.

Click Change the time my PC installs preview builds, and then select what time you want builds to be installed.
I don't have that option in preview builds though :/ Currently build 9841
Anyone?

_Ryo_

Are modern apps still locked to accounts in win 10? It really sucks you have to download several copies of an app to share use across acounts, it makes no sense, really.

SPDIF

I assume you mean the "Fast or slow" option? If so, then that's because the option only becomes available in build 9860, so you'll need to update to that first. I'm surprised you're still on 9841 since you should have been automatically updated by now. More information is here if you want it

I assume you mean the "Fast or slow" option? If so, then that's because the option only becomes available in build 9860, so you'll need to update to that first. I'm surprised you're still on 9841 since you should have been automatically updated by now. More information is here if you want it
That's what I mean though, I never got the update and trying to force it through preview builds doesn't find anything :/ Never noticed until recently as I only use my Surface Pro 2 for general browsing.

SPDIF

Are you guys using Win10 full time as a primary OS? Is it buggy?

It's been fine for me apart from a few niggling issues here and there, although obviously everyone's experience will be different. But if you're thinking of downloading the preview then I'd just wait until the event on the 21st if I were you. The consumer preview will probably be released then, and that will likely have plenty of bug fixes and new features.

endre

It's been fine for me apart from a few niggling issues here and there, although obviously everyone's experience will be different. But if you're thinking of downloading the preview then I'd just wait until the event on the 21st if I were you. The consumer preview will probably be released then, and that will likely have plenty of bug fixes and new features.

Thanks for the reply. I'll wait for the CP then. I am in need of a Win OS for one of my computers, but they are quite expensive and I am not sure if I can justify buying one now. I will probably install the CP and hope that there will be good deals once it is released.

SPDIF

That's what I mean though, I never got the update and trying to force it through preview builds doesn't find anything :/ Never noticed until recently as I only use my Surface Pro 2 for general browsing.

Well a quick search found quite a few people with a similar issue. Have you tried checking in this registry key:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability

Inside there should be a key called "BranchName" with a value of "fbl_release". There should also be a key called "ThresholdRiskLevel" with a value of "low". If any of those have different values try changing them, restarting and checking for new builds again. I have no idea if that will work for you, I'm literally just reading it from a Reddit thread, but it seems to work for a few people so it's worth a shot I guess.

If that doesn't work then your only option would be to download an ISO of the very latest build (9879) and do a fresh install.

dLMN8R

Are modern apps still locked to accounts in win 10? It really sucks you have to download several copies of an app to share use across acounts, it makes no sense, really.

Hey, do you mean using the same app across multiple accounts on the same PC? It might not seem like it, but I thought I'd clarify that you don't actually need to download multiple copies. The Store makes it looks like it's "downloading", but it's actually re-using the same cache for all users on a particular PC.

8.1 actually made things more efficient than 8.0 in this regard too - in 8 it would copy that app cache for each user, but in 8.1 it even shares the same local storage for each user (with different user storage for settings and saved data and such.

Are you guys using Win10 full time as a primary OS? Is it buggy?
The general rule is the same as ever: If you need to ask, don't install it.

Even if current preview builds seem stable, the Windows team has publicly stated that as new features are added in new builds, things may regress before they get better. For example, the September and October (2014) preview builds were stable, but the November build introduced a lot of new things which made it overall a lot less stable. There's no guarantee that won't happen again, so unless you're ready to deal with problems and have everything thoroughly backed up, definitely don't use Windows 10 previews on your main PC.

No problem. Just let me know if you get it to work :)
Did get it to work, for whatever reason the branch section in the registry wasn't set to release.

Edit: Nevermind, build finally showed under the preview section but it wouldn't download and after a restart it's no longer found. Weird. Will see what news a few hours brings before I completely start over.

Edit 2: The event is tomorrow, damn night shift throwing me off. Will fix it when I get up.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(

While it may lose some slick points I think its still a case of function over form and it'll be hard to argue that the list on the left will detract from the user experience.

Mr_Zombie

Whoa, I haven't noticed it during presentation, but according to those screenshots you can now have horizontal groups; so you're no longer limited to columns. That's great.

I'm not a fan of removing the search box from the start menu. :/

I wonder if normal (non-universal, non-Store) apps will be able to use notification center as well.

Whoa, I haven't noticed it during presentation, but according to those screenshots you can now have horizontal groups; so you're no longer limited to columns. That's great.

I'm not a fan of removing the search box from the start menu. :/

I wonder if normal (non-universal, non-Store) apps will be able to use notification center as well.
dam just noticed the search gone. we can always give them feedback in the app they have.

Alx

So do I. The only improvement with the current start screen would be the power button in a corner, and maybe having the clock visible at all time. Although I was fine with having both a swipe away on a touch interface.
They should have all those additional menus and taskbars in the "second page" of the start screen, the one you swipe up when you're looking for something you haven't pinned.

Mr_Zombie

I just hope you will be able to move the search bar freely around the taskbar. I don't want this thing occupying the left side of the bar where for the last several years I had icons to my most used programs.

Also, how will this affect the custom of searching by hitting Windows button and then typing? This was a huge convenience in previous Windows (they even kept it in Windows 8 start screen) and I'm sure many will be angry if it was changed now.

_Ryo_

Hey, do you mean using the same app across multiple accounts on the same PC? It might not seem like it, but I thought I'd clarify that you don't actually need to download multiple copies. The Store makes it looks like it's "downloading", but it's actually re-using the same cache for all users on a particular PC.

8.1 actually made things more efficient than 8.0 in this regard too - in 8 it would copy that app cache for each user, but in 8.1 it even shares the same local storage for each user (with different user storage for settings and saved data and such.
Is there a way to easily access each app without signing into the store and activating it on each account?

Rich!

I am kinda excited about upgrading now - just one question:

Is the start screen still in? considering that my PC is primarily a media centre (I have a media keyboard, and the monitor is my TV), I would be heartbroken if it reverted back to the start menu of old.

Being able to install xbstart to bring up and navigate the start menu with a 360 controller is by far the only justification I've ever needed for using Windows 8.1. It's fantastic.

I take it new icons are still coming? they still had old icons in this build.

Some of these icons don't look very good TBH.

Not sure how I feel about an opaque taskbar. That chunky bar cuts off too much of the wallpaper for my liking.

EDIT: Never mind I see you have the option of transparency. Looks nice! Also it looks like headers are left-aligned again.

Is the start screen still in? considering that my PC is primarily a media centre (I have a media keyboard, and the monitor is my TV), I would be heartbroken if it reverted back to the start menu of old.

Being able to install xbstart to bring up and navigate the start menu with a 360 controller is by far the only justification I've ever needed for using Windows 8.1. It's fantastic.

Yes it's in. You can choose what kind of start screen you want.

Mr_Zombie

Lmao. You can search using the Cortana thing in the task bar, can't you?

I know. I just don't like search bar taking space on the taskbar and I'm worried whether combination of pressing Windows + typing whatever you're looking for will still work.

In currently available build (which is already few months old) you can change whether you want start menu or screen via task bar options.
In the build that they were showing during conference (and that will be available within a week) there's a button right next to the power button (upper right corner) that allows you to instantly switch between menu and the screen.

I just hope you will be able to move the search bar freely around the taskbar. I don't want this thing occupying the left side of the bar where for the last several years I had icons to my most used programs.

Also, how will this affect the custom of searching by hitting Windows button and then typing? This was a huge convenience in previous Windows (they even kept it in Windows 8 start screen) and I'm sure many will be angry if it was changed now.

You can disable the box and hitting windows button and typing hasnt changed, at least in build 9901.

Top Bottom