• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

jetsetrez

Anyone have a link to that snowy mountain top wallpaper they were using? That's the best look I've seen for modern Windows.

So glad they're finally realizing people actually find the darker, harsh color schemes to be a huge turn off and very unappealing. I honestly can't understand how they and seemingly all OEMs thought that garish, super stark purple shit was an appealing look to promote W8 with for years. It's so ugly, and a shame because the actual design language (style and fonts and what not) of MS' modern ui is otherwise super classy and attractive. Same thing for all the black/dark with Windows Phone. I really think the color palette is super important to the general feel of the experience. The color palette Apple uses for all of their software for example instantly makes everything feel lighter, more welcoming. Very happy MS seems to be coming around to realizing this. Also very happy that with the universal apps they seem to finally be saying fuck it and just making apps analogous with iOS/Android paradigms, but retaining MS' style. Looking forward to seeing the real W10 flagship phone. Please just do a really sleek looking, high end, black/white/gold handset. Give people an iPhone/Nexus equivalent and Americans might start paying attention.

Didn't they announce the metro apps in a window stuff for 8.1? Is that still coming?

Sorry don't know, can't see it happening with free upgrade to Windows 10.

When is the consumer preview coming out?

Don't know but there is a new Technical Preview build next week, it's free to sign up at https://insider.windows.com/

I've been using it since the first Technical Preview as my daily driver, including for gaming and I've never had any problems apart from Explorer crashing build in the latest public release Technical Preview, in build 9901 that leaked it is fixed.

Main thing I want is the ability to just eradicate that god-awful metro interface completely.

Use OSX. Metro is here to stay.

dLMN8R

Is there a way to easily access each app without signing into the store and activating it on each account?

Nope, still need to sign into the Store with a Microsoft Account and acquire the app for each account. It's just under the covers where it won't actually be re-downloading a new copy, it'll figure it out and use the local cache that already exists.

Whoa, I haven't noticed it during presentation, but according to those screenshots you can now have horizontal groups; so you're no longer limited to columns. That's great.

I'm not a fan of removing the search box from the start menu. :/

I wonder if normal (non-universal, non-Store) apps will be able to use notification center as well.

dam just noticed the search gone. we can always give them feedback in the app they have.

Don't worry dudes, hitting Start and immediately typing still works, same as ever. :) You'll see how it all works when the new build is released.

The Cowboy

Can I change "Cortana" to a different trigger word on windows 10? Like Hey, (insert custom name)?

Would be interesting if you can, but even if MS don't do it i would guess someone else will find a way to edit it - frankly i just want to say "Windows"..

Ape

Banned
Would be interesting if you can, but even if MS don't do it i would guess someone else will find a way to edit it - frankly i just want to say "Windows"..

I can just see it being a problem for business users in close proximity to each other. Hey, cortana! Then three computers respond and everyone hates you.

I hope that when 10 comes out and we all upgrade, they'll allow us to do a clean install without any kind of hacks or having to install 8, then 8.1, then 10. Microsoft, just allow us to download the 10 ISO and do a clean install. Please lord Bill Gates!

So... Day one or wait a few months?

I hope that when 10 comes out and we all upgrade, they'll allow us to do a clean install without any kind of hacks or having to install 8, then 8.1, then 10. Microsoft, just allow us to download the 10 ISO and do a clean install. Please lord Bill Gates!

Bill isn't in charge but I hope so too. There's really no reason not to allow it, they have our keys that should be enough to verify and allow for an ISO download.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

Well Windows 8 has a factory reset function which I'm sure will be in 10 as well so even if you do have to go through a shitty upgrade process you should at least be able to clear everything down and give yourself a clean windows 10 box afterwards

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Without reading 35 pages have they mentioned anything about PC gaming performance? Can we expect higher frame rates? I know for example Dragon Age runs better on 8.1 than 7.

M3d10n

Without reading 35 pages have they mentioned anything about PC gaming performance? Can we expect higher frame rates? I know for example Dragon Age runs better on 8.1 than 7.

Since UE4 and Unity are both supporting DX12, pretty much every game released after DX12 support ships is pretty much guaranteed to run faster in W10.

There have been talks about DX11 getting some under the hood improvements as well, but I don't know if that's W10-only.

Also, for this build, Cortana is available for U.S. English only.

aa65ee1a5be722a4a0466685a9485aed89d04161.gif

dLMN8R

Surprise :)

You can upgrade pretty much however you want:

1. Install the .exe from insider.windows.com on your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PC and upgrade directly through Windows Update
  2. Download an ISO and upgrade using that
  3. Download an ISO and do a complete reinstall

If you're already running a build of Windows 10, you can get the new one by just going to the Preview Builds section in settings

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Surprise :)

You can upgrade pretty much however you want:

1. Install the .exe from insider.windows.com on your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PC and upgrade directly through Windows Update
  2. Download an ISO and upgrade using that
  3. Download an ISO and do a complete reinstall

If you're already running a build of Windows 10, you can get the new one by just going to the Preview Builds section in settings

Sweeet, hope this afternoon goes fast.

So wait, Spartan IS in this build? He shows it in the blog video. I thought it wasn't going to be included until a later build.

It's not mentioned in the blog post, so it's not in it.

E: Some known problems:

Here is a list of a few issues with Build 9926. As with the last builds, we may release updates to fix some of the most prevalent issues and others may be fixed in subsequent builds.

• After installing this build, you may see a boot selection menu each time you reboot your PC. This is because a bug where a second boot option is persisted to uninstall the Windows 10 Technical Preview and roll back to the previous OS installed. When you get to this screen, if you do nothing it will automatically boot to the Windows 10 Technical Preview within 30 seconds by default or you can choose it on your own. Don’t worry, this behavior is only temporary.
  • Xbox Live enabled games that require sign-in will not launch correctly. If you see the below dialog box the game requires Xbox Live sign-in. A fix for this will be distributed via WU shortly after the release of Build 9926.
  • Battery icon shows on lock screen of PCs without batteries.
  • Tiles on the Start menu show truncated app names (such as the Windows Feedback app).
  • Remote Desktop has some painting issues that result in tiled pixelation.
  • Connected Standby enabled devices like Surface Pro 3 may experience shorter than expected battery life.
  • In Cortana, reminders can’t be edited and more complex reminders might not get created. The first reminder you create in Cortana in this build might not pop up, but subsequent ones will. Completed reminders also don’t move to the History page in Cortana’s Notebook.
  • The Music app will disappear if minimized within 16 seconds of launch. Just leave it in the foreground for 20 seconds or so and it should work just fine.
  • Occasionally, the Start Menu is improperly registered and will fail to launch.

Does the Oculus Rift work again in this build? Had to drop Win10 a while back because an update had broken the Rift, and I had to roll back to get it to go.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Why is Spartan in the video if it's not in the build? D: I wanted to give it a go since I'm switching between a few atm and want to see which one I like best.

Top Bottom