• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone put this on a Surface Pro 1? I have one that is a test unit for work and was thinking of giving it a shot tonight. It's my test, back-up unit so it's fine if it's a bit wonky, as long as it works.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
This is still the Technical Preview.

The Consumer Preview is supposedly next week.

I wonder if there will be a big enough difference in builds to wait.
they are the same thing. there is not one consumer preview, rc or rtm build etc... there are just monthly builds that they release for the insiders.

Zeknurn

So my friend is saying that winkey -> typing doesn't work anymore. He says that he has to manually press Cortana to be able to do the program search. Is he right or wrong as per usual?

Where's my modern IE?

Can't see it anywhere, if it's not there I'll have to roll back.

I believe rumours said that Spartan would replace modern IE. I guess I'll wait until it's out before installing the TP on my Surface Pro.

I take it you can't upgrade from the W10 TP to the final build once it releases officially?

Microsoft does not officially support it but there's usually a workaround. I'd recommend doing a clean install anyway.

Husker86

Where's my modern IE?

Can't see it anywhere, if it's not there I'll have to roll back.

Speaking of this, does Windows 10 allow you to use modern IE if you have a different browser set as default browser?

Just got a Surface Pro 3 and it's really annoying to have to keep IE as default if I want to use modern IE (which I find is nice for GAF, but not much else since I don't have my plugins).

hadareud

The Translator
I believe rumours said that Spartan would replace modern IE. I guess I'll wait until it's out before installing the TP on my Surface .

Strange that they'd remove it before Spartan is added.

Rolled back for now, I absolutely cannot live without a tablet browser.

Took about half a minute to go back to 8.1 btw, was ridiculously quick.

So I accidentally clicked on Windows Roll-back when I restarted and it didn't ask if I was sure. A minute later I was back on Windows 8.

Looks like if you want to go back to Windows 10 after rolling-back, you have to reinstall it from Windows Update in the control panel, which is annoying. No way to switch back and forth easily.

Just did a clean install for the new build. So far so good.

It doesn't look like you can disable Cortana but it might just be that way for testing purposes.

Ecto311

Installed this on a new SSD and its going better than I thought it would. I do like having the task bar on both of my monitors. I can open things on both sides instead of just using the start bar on my main monitor. Cant wait to see how this works when installed on my laptop and Surface Pro 1.

Heigic

Cortana is in my pc but she wont speak :(

Changing my region did not work. Hopefully someone figures out how to get it to work outside of the US and it's not IP based blocking.

Just did a clean install for the new build. So far so good.

It doesn't look like you can disable Cortana but it might just be that way for testing purposes.

You can turn it off in the settings or at least I have a greyed out option to turn it on.

dLMN8R

This is still the Technical Preview.

The Consumer Preview is supposedly next week.

I wonder if there will be a big enough difference in builds to wait.

What? No. The January Tech Preview is the only build that has been announced. Microsoft has not said anything specific about future builds, certainly nothing about a Consumer Preview coming next week.

Microsoft said that the Tech Preview that was released today would be coming "within the next week", which journalists assumed meant next week, when it was actually today.

So my friend is saying that winkey -> typing doesn't work anymore. He says that he has to manually press Cortana to be able to do the program search. Is he right or wrong as per usual?
If your friend is experiencing that, it's a bug. winkey --> typing should work instantly. I just did it.

Zeknurn

If your friend is experiencing that, it's a bug. winkey --> typing should work instantly. I just did it.

I guess he has experienced a bug then because it still doesn't work after several reboots.

I'm going to install the build myself in a bit and I'll see if I can reproduce it.

soco

Installed this on a new SSD and its going better than I thought it would. I do like having the task bar on both of my monitors. I can open things on both sides instead of just using the start bar on my main monitor. Cant wait to see how this works when installed on my laptop and Surface Pro 1.

That's been doable since at least win8.1, but it was a god send when it happened. was such a pain before that.

Zeknurn

Turns out it doesn't work when the taskbar is located in the much superior vertical position. How can you not notice this before shipping the build?

Surprise :)

You can upgrade pretty much however you want:

1. Install the .exe from insider.windows.com on your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PC and upgrade directly through Windows Update
  2. Download an ISO and upgrade using that
  3. Download an ISO and do a complete reinstall

If you're already running a build of Windows 10, you can get the new one by just going to the Preview Builds section in settings
You just made my day. Thanks!

Zeknurn

They're not going to find every single thing. You're going to run into problems with every build until release. Have him submit a bug report.

I'm just surprised that the thousands(?) of employees in the Microsoft ring didn't notice a bug with such a common use case.

Bug report is submitted.

edit: Found another. Universal apps gets shifted onto the second monitor by the width of the vertical taskbar when maximized.
edit2: Also the notification icon is invisible.

They should put this under known issues.

dLMN8R

I'm just surprised that the thousands(?) of employees in the Microsoft ring didn't notice a bug with such a common use case.

Bug report is submitted.

edit: Found another. Universal apps gets shifted onto the second monitor by the width of the vertical taskbar when maximized.
edit2: Also the notification icon is invisible.

They should put this under known issues.

Not every known issue is going to be listed on a web site. There are thousands of new bugs filed every day for every single possible issue from minor typos, graphical glitches, to misbehaving interfaces, to feature suggestions, to localization and translation errors, and beyond. The blog post lists just a tiny number of things that more people will notice and that might be more severe.

Of course this particular bug was likely found. Maybe even months ago. But when you have tens or hundreds of thousands of things on a backlog that thousands of employees are slowly going through - in addition to implementation of new features - things need to be logically prioritized. It'll of course be fixed before the final version.

Just keep submitting feedback. The Windows Feedback app and the internal services which back it are pretty amazing at how robust and helpful they are.

Mr_Zombie

Is there a way to enable Cortana even though I'm not from US? I'm using US version of Windows 10 Preview, but Cortana is still disabled.

Miker

They still need to redesign that recycle bin icon though

How's Windows 10 in terms of overhauling old Vista-era icons? Is it all still Vista stuff, or have some icons been redesigned? Part of the reason I skipped Windows 8 is, strangely enough, how the old icons clashed with the new Metro interface.

The Cowboy

Just installed the new build (haven't used Win10 since build 1), i really do not like the scrolling tiles (up and down) in the start menu at all when its in desktop mode. I much prefer how it was with the menu resizing depending on how many tiles you had, and i really think the start menu has taken a step backwards from what it was on 1st Win 10 build.

Also, is it not possible to get it to look like Windows 8.1 properly? (and to default to the start menu on app closing etc?), the resize button at the top of the menu and tablet mode are really no where near as good as standard 8.1 mode IMO.

Spasm

Anyone put this on a Surface Pro 1? I have one that is a test unit for work and was thinking of giving it a shot tonight. It's my test, back-up unit so it's fine if it's a bit wonky, as long as it works.
Wondering the same. Backing up my SPro1 right now. This build DOES have continuum, yes?

glaurung

Decided to install the new preview. The install was smooth and it looks nice. New default (?) lock screen art is gorgeous.

The new Alt+Tab visual is jarring.

glaurung

Where did you hear about the consumer preview?
They namedropped the Windows 10 Consumer Preview for desktop and phone on the preview website.

In fact - following the media event and up until today - they had a placeholder on the preview download website saying that the Consumer Preview will be up soon. And during this period, you could not download the Technical Preview. They put the Technical Preview 9926 up just now. I am rocking it as we speak.

I expect they will roll out the Consumer Preview as a regular, but bigger build update to the Technical Preview users.

They namedropped the Windows 10 Consumer Preview for desktop and phone on the preview website.

In fact - following the media event and up until today - they had a placeholder on the preview download website saying that the Consumer Preview will be up soon. And during this period, you could not download the Technical Preview. They put the Technical Preview 9926 up just now. I am rocking it as we speak.

I expect they will roll out the Consumer Preview as a regular, but bigger build update to the Technical Preview users.

Will they still fix stuff even with the consumer preview out? or will the final product be the same? things like compatibility,etc mainly is what i am wondering about.

Top Bottom