• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

I feel almost like I can't use my windows tablet anymore..... metro was designed specifically for these tablets. The charms being removed and being forced to use the physical/tiny windows button in bottom left corner is not doing it at all.

I removal of metro IE also makes the experience poor. Not being able to swipe to go forward/back a page is a huge problem. Not seeing regularly visited sites when you touch the address bar is a problem. Basically, Spartan needs to be metro IE.

Oh, I can't make Cortana appear to me at all.

My win10 is in English and I have set up my region as the US, but still says she is not available in my region...

zou

I agree with everyone saying touch doesn't really work in Windows 10. Tried the first preview on my SP3 but went back to W8.1 right away, major step back for touch. Disappointing to see noting changed.

And yeah, there's no way I want to see the taskbar on my tablet and not having the charms bar sucks. I'll second the Windows 7 comparisons, sounds about right.

Totakeke

Ouch, I did say Windows 10 seemed like a step back for Surface users. Unfortunately I don't have as much faith on them really being able to cater to both types of users.

The Flash

Banned
Installed 9926 last night. Very nice. I'm in the process of making that partition my primary until release. Really digging Cortana's integration into the desktop. Hopefully "Spartan" will be up to snuff as well because I'm bored of Chrome now. Thank goodness it'll have extension support that's all I'll say.

I agree with everyone saying touch doesn't really work in Windows 10. Tried the first preview on my SP3 but went back to W8.1 right away, major step back for touch. Disappointing to see noting changed.

And yeah, there's no way I want to see the taskbar on my tablet and not having the charms bar sucks. I'll second the Windows 7 comparisons, sounds about right.

I wouldn't go that far as saying that it's as bad as win7 for touch. Using desktop apps with touch is actually better than ever now that the system handles them the same way as metro apps.

It's really lacking touch friendly settings and menus like brightness, volume and device removal, and "legacy" metro apps are really bad to use without the charms and commands bar, but new universal apps do makes you feel less the need to use them...

There plenty of bugs with touch (title bar not moving away, search box being collapsed to a button and them expanding in start menu on top of other icons), and they also definitely need a way to have everything always full screen, but that seems like minor wip changes compared to what they already have got that is greatly managing desktop apps as metro apps.

Is it possible to boot into the ISO from a USB drive and do a format and install? Ive tried multiple USB boot tools with the ISO but my Surface Pro 1 just won't boot into it.

The new start screen itself is also an improvement over W8.1 start screen, it's just missing a few improvements...

That left app list has no place, it should be possible to hide it and gain more screen space, but other than that it's also only missing some polish, like multi tile selection, quick jumping through letters on the All apps view, more intuitive interface for handling groups etc...

Is it possible to boot into the ISO from a USB drive and do a format and install? Ive tried multiple USB boot tools with the ISO but my Surface Pro 1 just won't boot into it.

You should be able to use the Windows USB/DVD tool to create a bootable USB stick.

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

The utility will do everything. It'll format the USB stick, make it bootable, and copy over the necessary files.

You don't actually boot into an ISO i.e. you should not be copying the ISO on to a USB stick.

For the Surface Pro, you may also need to disable secure boot in the bios.

You aren't using Synergy, are you? I find that it can cause issues when using it with virtual machines. I disable the service in task manager to solve my issues.
I'm afraid not. Weirdly it's randomly started working now... Just took a day or two to finally do so for some reason. Very strange.

You should be able to use the Windows USB/DVD tool to create a bootable USB stick.

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

The utility will do everything. It'll format the USB stick, make it bootable, and copy over the necessary files.

You don't actually boot into an ISO i.e. you should not be copying the ISO on to a USB stick.

For the Surface Pro, you may also need to disable secure boot in the bios.

Yes Ive tried using the Windows tool as well as the Rufus USB tool, Surface wont boot into either. Secure boot is disabled.

Not sure what im missing, ive made bootable Windows USB sticks before with 7, 8, and 8.1

Yes Ive tried using the Windows tool as well as the Rufus USB tool, Surface wont boot into either. Secure boot is disabled.

Not sure what im missing, ive made bootable Windows USB sticks before with 7, 8, and 8.1

Did you try manually creating the bootable drive and setting the file format to fat32? I think by default both Rufus and the Windows Tool sets the drive to NTFS.

I guess my install is fucked. I've tried to update twice now and it gets stuck on "setting up" after reboot and then the system reboots and does a system restore.

orava

Updated my VM install via the included app. Looks pretty amazeballs so far. Considering updating my main 8.1 install too.

New tray clock and how to get it.

ZovYuig.png

Open the registry editor (win + r, type "regedit")
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>ImmersiveShell

Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value, call it "UseWin32TrayClockExperience"

orava

I wish they would add the option to change the clock font and format properly in the taskbar. It's starting to get very small in modern displays.

I have been using a third party app and it looks like this.

anuat4D.png

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The more I use it the more I like. Just takes some getting used too. Need to submit some feedback as well. I like the transitions on Live tiles.

Klocker

Ouch, I did say Windows 10 seemed like a step back for Surface users. Unfortunately I don't have as much faith on them really being able to cater to both types of users.

Yea this technical preview is not tablet friendly, but the consumer preview should hopefully rectify those things. Continuum as it evolves will, as I understand it, improve substantially for the tablet experience while keeping desk/laptop users happy

Oculus works again in this build. But whatever I did to stop it from updating earlier seems to have broken build updates; after trying to update it just keeps restoring to 9841. I'll try updating from ISO.

Heigic

They need to do something about the full screen metro apps on desktop. When you press the full screen button on the titlebar so many people are going to be trapped any no idea how to get out.

The startmenu needs to be resizeable again. I'm sure it will be this is one of the first features they demoed of WIndows 10 before the enterprise edition was shown and it had a major overhaul this version so it's understandable some features are missing.

Regarding the charms bar the buttons at the bottom of the notification window are meant to be customizable. I'm sure you'll get a start button there maybe that will help?

I wonder why RT isn't getting windows 10 but Windows Phone is. They're both ARM OS'.

It's because that version is for < 8" Windows devices. Though I'm sure they could get to work if they really wanted to.

t-ramp

Windows Phone already got its "There is no update path from 7 to 8" Now its RTs turn to deal with it.
Kind of a bummer, since I did want to try something new on my original Surface. Then again, I basically just use the thing for Netflix, so it doesn't really matter.

Yea this technical preview is not tablet friendly, but the consumer preview should hopefully rectify those things. Continuum as it evolves will, as I understand it, improve substantially for the tablet experience while keeping desk/laptop users happy

Does turning on Tablet Mode (via PC setting) help?

i know the start menu goes full screen as well as the apps. it hides the window bar up top and goes full screen.

Just got done messing with the new build. Some impressions:

- I think i prefer the previous start menu look more even though they aren't that different. Now they added a background to regular programs which i guess is for more consistency which is fine. The issue i have is that the icons look smaller,even on the task bar. I also prefer if the search was still with the start menu instead of the task bar. I could see that change though with at least some options. In terms of the all apps section in the start menu it is similar but i prefer the older one with smaller icons and text. It definitely seems like work in progress and will change though.

- Task bar is opaque! They finally brought back opaque task bars but it seems there is no option for transparency which i believe they did mention that they will bring back. Just make sure to have an option and not remove one. Also when clicking the speaker icon you can now adjust the volume with your mouse pointer anywhere and not just on the volume meter itself. Thank god they fixed that and it was a small detail that i didn't expect them to remember about.

- icons changed. why did they even change the pc icon if it is actually worse than the one they had before?It is clearly not the final one and will change but i found it odd they changed it to a worse looking one.

- Gaming - same framerate issues for older titles remain. Hoping they know about the issue.
https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...he-frame-rate-issue-that-has-been-in-since-wi

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
A couple of posts got me thinking about APIs in Windows 10. Windows 8 standardized much of the sensor APIs the same way Windows 7 did for HID. Will Windows 10 offer APIs for hardware accelerated voice controls so we can do things like WakeOnVoice and low power command processing? Has MS talked about this?

SPDIF

A couple of posts got me thinking about APIs in Windows 10. Windows 8 standardized much of the sensor APIs the same way Windows 7 did for HID. Will Windows 10 offer APIs for hardware accelerated voice controls so we can do things like WakeOnVoice and low power command processing? Has MS talked about this?

As far as I'm aware they've not said a single thing (at least publicly) about any new APIs. You'll probably have to wait until Build.

Ecto311

Not sure if it works but I just downloaded the ISO then started the ISO like an EXE file. Windows knew what to do and booted into it on reset on its own. Then it installed and booted a few more times till I had windows 10 on my surface 1 - the old windows install is renamed windows.old

The only issue I am having with it is snapping on the keyboard resets the thing. I am doing something then click it back on to type and the surface screen just comes up and it is doing a full restart. Not a big deal if you leave it on I guess.

Was excited to get the move over from desktop to laptop to surface but can't figure out how to do that like in the demo videos from microsoft. Maybe its coming later or I is just dumb.

bdrob

Installed it last night on my Surface Pro (1, 64GB) as an upgrade from Windows 8.1, rather than a fresh install. Initially, it was a bit janky, as you would probably expect from an upgrade + technical alpha, but after a couple of Windows updates and restarts it seems to have settled down nicely.

As a Surface / touch user, I'm not completely sold on the new windows start bar. I should probably clarify that I never had any issues with the Metro UI in 8.1 on either my Surface or my desktop, as it was easy enough to use for touch and get away from on a desktop. I can see that once I've pinned my regular programs it might be just as good, if not better, but as a few others have mentioned the long list on the left feels like a step back from swiping up to reveal everything installed.

Also the loss of charms for a tablet user, especially to adjust brightness, is frustrating. However, I prefer the look and idea of the notification centre; if they just add a box to adjust monitor brightness I probably wouldn't have any complaints on this front. Having modern apps in a window feels a bit weird ... I think this could be improved by making the title bar disappear when you've got it snapped, and only showing when you move your cursor up to the top of the screen (like in 8.1), as losing out on that screen space on a Surface really hurts.

Quick query for any other Surface users who are also using an external mouse, have you found a reliable way to disable the touchpad? It's in the settings menu, but when I turn it off it stays on ... there also doesn't seem to be an option to disable it when an external mouse is connected. Not complaining, I am more than aware this is a technical alpha and features might not be working / implemented yet, just wondering if it's something I'm overlooking before I submit any feedback.

Always fun to play around with new tech, will be interested to see how it develops.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Switched my region to US to try Cortana. The "Hey Cortana" activation works great on my Surface. With the region switched to US, is there anything it will mess up??

Tablo

I feel almost like I can't use my windows tablet anymore..... metro was designed specifically for these tablets. The charms being removed and being forced to use the physical/tiny windows button in bottom left corner is not doing it at all.

I removal of metro IE also makes the experience poor. Not being able to swipe to go forward/back a page is a huge problem. Not seeing regularly visited sites when you touch the address bar is a problem. Basically, Spartan needs to be metro IE.

if this hasn't been fixed by launch me and my surface pro 3 gon be pissed off..
charms bar is good on tablets.

I probably won't use the start menu, but why don't they allow you to resize it now in the latest tech preview like they used to? That way was much better.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I probably won't use the start menu, but why don't they allow you to resize it now in the latest tech preview like they used to? That way was much better.

if this hasn't been fixed by launch me and my surface pro 3 gon be pissed off..
charms bar is good on tablets.

Guys, make sure you leave feedback for this stuff. Microsoft need to hear it from enough people or it'll never get fixed.

Waaaat? W8.1 tablet experience is perfect!

MarkusRJR

So I haven't followed Windows 10 beyond the initial day or so of announcements/coverage... Is the one year free to upgrade a permanent upgrade, a trial, or a subscription service like Office 365? I want Windows 10 for my convertible laptop but I don't really want to pay for what looks like slight interface changes (I don't mind Windows 8's UI).

These are basically my same feelings. I feel bad for anyone using a Windows tablet. Android and iOS are basically confirmed to be the main mobile OS until Windows 11. I was hoping for better changes so things might shake up and for there to be more than just two options. I almost feel like this is a step back from what I've seen. I feel so bad for folks using a 7" or 8" Windows tablet; it's going to be so cramped.

The problem for me with Project Spartan is that there are no iOS and Android versions. No way will I switch from Chrome which works on nearly other device (and syncs flawlessly).

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
The start menu, the start screen, the new desktop icons, the window buttons. Everything that was obvious and new was ugly. Which is weird, because I liked the on-going design changes from the previous build.

I'm only looking at this from the desktop perspective but the window buttons and folder/thumbnail preview icons are particularly jarring. I assume those are just WIP and will be addressed.

Taskbar icons for apps are too small, even with the option to use small icons disabled. I also can't get the Start menu to filter on keystrokes, it just dims and doesn't respond.

Had the first major crash last night since the 10 preview started last year. Entered a search term in Chrome's address bar, hit Enter and the monitors lost video then the PC reset. Hasn't re-occurred yet.

Overall, it's going in the right direction. This isn't meant to sound super negative.

Why take such a backwards step? I'm all for disabling stuff like the charms bar on the desktop but it worked really well on touch devices. In fact, the whole Windows 8.1 touch environment worked really well all around, why undo all of that good work?

Edit: Modern IE is gone as well? That was the best damn mobile/touch browser on the market. It was desktop IE that needed an overhaul, they'd already sorted out their mobile/touch browser. This sounds like a complete clusterfuck on touch devices. I just can't understand the justification for such a backwards step, you only need to disable all the touch stuff by default on desktop devices and everybody's happy.

Whogie

I'm playing MKVs on my PS3 and 360 (which don't otherwise support MKV) with WMP's DLNA server. It's transcoding on the fly -- nice!!
On the PS3 I can even scrub without issue.

This is a good sign. Now we need DTS and sub support.

---

Is there a way to change Places in the Start Menu?

Tomcat

Why take such a backwards step? I'm all for disabling stuff like the charms bar on the desktop but it worked really well on touch devices. In fact, the whole Windows 8.1 touch environment worked really well all around, why undo all of that good work?

Edit: Modern IE is gone as well? That was the best damn mobile/touch browser on the market. It was desktop IE that needed an overhaul, they'd already sorted out their mobile/touch browser. This sounds like a complete clusterfuck on touch devices. I just can't understand the justification for such a backwards step, you only need to disable all the touch stuff by default on desktop devices and everybody's happy.

haven't tried win10 on my 8 inch tablet but all this are making me anxious about the final result. It is after all a work in progress.
metro ie is amazing lets hope Spartan is the right replacement.

Lynn616

I'm playing MKVs on my PS3 and 360 (which don't otherwise support MKV) with WMP's DLNA server. It's transcoding on the fly -- nice!!
On the PS3 I can even scrub without issue.

This is a good sign. Now we need DTS and sub support.

---

Is there a way to change Places in the Start Menu?

I am going to try that. Right now I just plug in my external HDD to my Xbox One to play my movies.

Virtual Desktops have improved this build. A nice transition animation flips between desktops. Now I want to be able to set s different background on each desktop.

Top Bottom