• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Why take such a backwards step? I'm all for disabling stuff like the charms bar on the desktop but it worked really well on touch devices. In fact, the whole Windows 8.1 touch environment worked really well all around, why undo all of that good work?

Edit: Modern IE is gone as well? That was the best damn mobile/touch browser on the market. It was desktop IE that needed an overhaul, they'd already sorted out their mobile/touch browser. This sounds like a complete clusterfuck on touch devices. I just can't understand the justification for such a backwards step, you only need to disable all the touch stuff by default on desktop devices and everybody's happy.

This is beta. Give your feedback directly to MS too.

Pooya

I hope they're not moving the address bar in 'Modern Spartan' to the top like the winphone version, stop copying chrome's bad UI.

edit: Any idea how battery life is compared with 8.1?

I probably won't use the start menu, but why don't they allow you to resize it now in the latest tech preview like they used to? That way was much better.
Basically they completely rebuilt the start menu and haven't added every feature back yet.
A big change that you won’t see is that we actually rebuilt Start in XAML, which is one type of code developers can use to build apps for Windows 10. The work on Start isn’t done yet, and we’ll have more changes that will show up in future builds including more personalization (and transparency!), drag and drop, Jump Lists, and the ability to resize the Start menu.

Future

Why take such a backwards step? I'm all for disabling stuff like the charms bar on the desktop but it worked really well on touch devices. In fact, the whole Windows 8.1 touch environment worked really well all around, why undo all of that good work?

Edit: Modern IE is gone as well? That was the best damn mobile/touch browser on the market. It was desktop IE that needed an overhaul, they'd already sorted out their mobile/touch browser. This sounds like a complete clusterfuck on touch devices. I just can't understand the justification for such a backwards step, you only need to disable all the touch stuff by default on desktop devices and everybody's happy.

Yeah in concept this should be making the surface pros even more amazing. Instead it seems much worse in almost every way. I love that charms bar and all that shit on the pro. And yeah, you'd never expect metro ie to be good... But it's great! Don't redo all of it!

Yeah in concept this should be making the surface pros even more amazing. Instead it seems much worse in almost every way. I love that charms bar and all that shit on the pro. And yeah, you'd never expect metro ie to be good... But it's great! Don't redo all of it!

We can't comment on the browser until we see Spartan. I think MS will deliver there.

So what exactly did they remove apart from Charms Bar that makes touch worse?

zou

yeah, I would have thought desktop devices get all the new features and tablets stick with what we found in win 8.1 for the most parts. I have a feeling windows 10 for tablets might end up as the windows 8 of desktop devices.

I hope they're not moving the address bar in 'Modern Spartan' to the top like the winphone version, stop copying chrome's bad UI.

edit: Any idea how battery life is compared with 8.1?
Can't speak for battery life but this build feels like the first build they released for 10. My fan is back to being all loud on my laptop.

Gowans

How's the insider program? Should I even dare put windows 10 on my Mac as boot camp?

Am I gona get crashing with gaming?

8bit

Knows the Score
How's the insider program? Should I even dare put windows 10 on my Mac as boot camp?

I've been using it since first announcement, it's fairly stable.

I wouldn't recommend it on Boot Camp though, you'll need to upgrade from an existing 7 or 8 installation and it might be a bit unstable.

clav

If you're asking questions, I wouldn't bother. Expectations should be that you are comfortable with bugs that exist in the software.

Just wait until final.

Gowans

I've been using it since first announcement, it's fairly stable.

I wouldn't recommend it on Boot Camp though, you'll need to upgrade from an existing 7 or 8 installation and it might be a bit unstable.

If you're asking questions, I wouldn't bother. Expectations should be that you are comfortable with bugs that exist in the software.

Just wait until final.
I'm fine with a few bugs here and there, I'll give it a go when the add the streaming stuff I think.

Got my insider key

I probably won't use the start menu, but why don't they allow you to resize it now in the latest tech preview like they used to? That way was much better.

Guys, make sure you leave feedback for this stuff. Microsoft need to hear it from enough people or it'll never get fixed.

They are bringing it back according to their preview in the windows blog. It was taken out temporarily for some reason. You cant move things in the start menu either for now.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
We can't comment on the browser until we see Spartan. I think MS will deliver there.

So what exactly did they remove apart from Charms Bar that makes touch worse?

Well the charms bar is a big one because it means no easy access to the start screen with touch, you have to either use the hardware button or click the small start button the taskbar, both of this are difficult to reach when holding in portrait mode. It also means you don't have quick access to settings for individual apps.

Also right now the taskbar is always visible unless you click the maximize button each time you use an app. That requires a swipe down from the top and then having to press a tiny button along the menu bar at the top. Also half the time this doesn't even work.

They removed the full list of apps that you used to be able to access by swiping up and replaced it with an always visible vertical text list on the left side of the start screen...which again has really small icons and nested folders making it clunky to use with touch.

So basically the whole thing feels almost as bad as when I was using Windows 7 with touch. Everything right now feels like it's only optimized for mouse and keyboard usage.

I like the Windows 8.1 UI even with keyboard and mouse and with touch it was super quick and easy to use. This feels cumbersome.

On the positive side the new method of task switching is miles better than it was before where left swipes would just flip through apps (seemingly at random) or you'd have to use a complicated motion to get to the vertical thumbnails of all your open apps.

I rolled back to Windows 10 Build 9879. Wasn't feeling the new-new start menu and my computer couldn't connect to NAS drives.

Windows%2010%20Start%20Menu-1.png~original

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I have a Surface RT 2 which i am very satisfied with, but it sucks that it wont get windows 10, because the cross-functionality sounds fantastic. MS did say that there will be an update for the RT tables with "some" of the features, which im hoping will include compatibility with windows 10 apps.

i too rolled back to 9879 build because it broke second screen for me.

I can live with no capslock/numlock light.

it messed with the amd drivers too. gonna wait.

dLMN8R

The start menu in the new build is actually a completely different one from what was in the previous builds, new underlying tech to make it easier to add new features in the future and share the same features between Desktop and Phone. So that's why it's missing some things now - a couple steps back to enable many more steps forward.

The start menu in the new build is actually a completely different one from what was in the previous builds, new underlying tech to make it easier to add new features in the future and share the same features between Desktop and Phone. So that's why it's missing some things now - a couple steps back to enable many more steps forward.

I wasn't in rage mode or anything because I realize it's still in beta. It amazes me of the entitlement of some people who are trying to use this as their main system OS and then bitch when it doesn't work.

The Cowboy

I rolled back to Windows 10 Build 9879. Wasn't feeling the new-new start menu and my computer couldn't connect to NAS drives.

Windows%2010%20Start%20Menu-1.png~original

Just a heads up on this for people considering doing this (rolling back), you don't need to rollback to get the resizable start menu - it can be re-enabled via a registry tweak in the latest build.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-bring-back-old-resizable-start-menu-running-windows-10-build-9926

Right click on the Start Button and select "Run"
◾Type "regedit"
◾Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advanced
◾Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value, call it "EnableXamlStartMenu" - keep it at "0"
◾Restart Explorer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rzhY5i4bu8

Maybesew

I searched for a thread on using windows 10, but didn't find one. People seem to be putting their impressions on it here in this thread, so some questions about app compatibility...

Has anyone tried twitch streaming with OBS?

f0lken

So after three days of extensively use this is my opinion based on how I use it. Playing games or using my usual suite of programs works basically the same with no perceptible drawbacks or bugs, but the usability has improved greatly from 8.1 by simplifying and unifying concepts between desktop and tablet mode, the new multitasking view is the same no matter the mode which is not only welcome but I am grateful they did that.

I loved the start screen so I use the start menu full screen, the return of the most used column is nice, it just looks ugly right now, but if they make it like it was on 8.1 that you can use a custom wallpaper on it it all will be good.

On desktop is pretty much what 8/8.1 should have been, there are a lot of nice touches, Love the action/notification center and the windowsitation of the metro apps makes it so that I use them a lot more now (I can finally enjoy Flipboard on my desktop).

But, I had to roll back my surface to 8.1 because 10 mess a lot with the experience in tablet mode, I don't want the charms bar per se to return, but if you are in tablet mode it should automatically detect that you are running in the front a metro app and do all of these things:

-Run the app fullscreen
-Add all the app commands to the quick actions (at least share and the especific app settings)
-For the love of god add custom brightness and the start button to the quick actions
-Hide the taskbar
-This is for both desktop and tablet mode, but is needed more on tablets: RETURN TO THE 8.1 ONEDRIVE BEHAVIOUR!! This is the single biggest annoyance I have with 10, I have limited space on my tablet so I just need to sync individual items or folder, right now is a "Sync all folders" or "Just sync these folder but all other folders will be missing unless you sync them too, and don't even think about single items". The OneDrive integration on 8.1 was perfect and they messed badly with it.
-This will likely be solved once Spartan arrives but I just can't go to Chrome or Firefox or IE on desktop when I am on my surface, they are horrible after using IE on metro mode which is IMO the best mobile browser there is.

So to me I'd rank Win10 like this at this moment (I'm sure MS will improve it based on their latest actions and the feedback community)

On my gaming/work desktop: 9
On my Surface: 5

FyreWulff

Just installed the tech preview via Windows Update. that was cool.

Using a laptop for this.

Plusses so far:

- Being able to just directly update via Windows Update is pretty damn cool. I assume this is how they're pulling off the actual upgrade for the first year, meaning it'll be super easy for me to tell my relatives to just use Windows Update.

- At first boot, everything was faster than Win 8, especially search.

- Sound is nice and loud. Windows 8 on this laptop quiets the sound for some reason, making it hard to hear anything that isn't super loud already

Minuses so far:

- a few minutes after boot everything thrashes, ie youtube audio stutters when i go to other tabs. I don't know if Win10 is rebuilding it's index right now or something.

- I can't seem to get Win10 to extend to an external VGA monitor that worked just fine in Win8. This laptop has HDMI-out too, but i need to order an HDMI cable if i want to use that.

edit: realized I could just steal the HDMI from my ps4, still doesn't work. hmm

edit2: I think I've figured it out.. sorta. Windows 10 doesn't like the graphics card in this laptop just yet, so it keeps disabling it, which is probably preventing multi-display from working. Also explains the thrashing since I assume Windows is rendering in software mode. I'll file a report over on the forums, I just assume this is one of those things that will be fixed as it goes along

vvcPYH9.png

linkboy

Anyone get a loud, screeching sound anytime a notification comes in. Sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

Anyone know how to fix it short of muting the sound, it's kinda annoying.

I don't like the start menu so far, it's not built for touch at all. Still needs a ton more work.

Everything else seems good so far. Really digging the upgrades.

Raide

I am having a play with Win 10 on my desktop PC and my Venue 8 Pro. Certainly takes a while to adjust to the changes and where things now are but it works well so far on both systems. Especially on the Venue 8 Pro.

Just installed the tech preview via Windows Update. that was cool.

Using a laptop for this.

Plusses so far:

- Being able to just directly update via Windows Update is pretty damn cool. I assume this is how they're pulling off the actual upgrade for the first year, meaning it'll be super easy for me to tell my relatives to just use Windows Update.

- At first boot, everything was faster than Win 8, especially search.

- Sound is nice and loud. Windows 8 on this laptop quiets the sound for some reason, making it hard to hear anything that isn't super loud already

Minuses so far:

- a few minutes after boot everything thrashes, ie youtube audio stutters when i go to other tabs. I don't know if Win10 is rebuilding it's index right now or something.

- I can't seem to get Win10 to extend to an external VGA monitor that worked just fine in Win8. This laptop has HDMI-out too, but i need to order an HDMI cable if i want to use that.

edit: realized I could just steal the HDMI from my ps4, still doesn't work. hmm

edit2: I think I've figured it out.. sorta. Windows 10 doesn't like the graphics card in this laptop just yet, so it keeps disabling it, which is probably preventing multi-display from working. Also explains the thrashing since I assume Windows is rendering in software mode. I'll file a report over on the forums, I just assume this is one of those things that will be fixed as it goes along

vvcPYH9.png

this was my issue. thats why i rolled back. already left feedback about it. i need to report to amd and see about getting 14.12 (Catalyst Omega) to work properly.

54-46!

Aero theme caused lag in 7 but you could enable the classic theme to get rid of it. In 8 it was a bit more complicated, you basically had to kill Metro.

What's the status of this in 10?

I have now an annoying 'activate windows' watermark

I had one vista number and w7 update number, neither works

I've tried the serial number they put on the preview download page, didn't work.

What should I do?

EDIT; done, I needed the Enterpise number

FyreWulff

this was my issue. thats why i rolled back. already left feedback about it. i need to report to amd and see about getting 14.12 (Catalyst Omega) to work properly.

Yeah, I considered rolling back, but.. the rollback just errors out, and the backup win8 install disk they had me create only wants to obliterate the entire HDD.

I knew the risk of using my main and only laptop on hand for this, so my current workaround was to just to install Ubuntu 14 to get multimon back and use that for my work until the video card situation is fixed in 10.

Jzero

My lock screen changed by itself, interesting...

Also, Cortana is kind of useless since you have to click the microphone icon to be able to do the "Hey Cortana" command. If it worked on every screen that would be great.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My lock screen changed by itself, interesting...

Also, Cortana is kind of useless since you have to click the microphone icon to be able to do the "Hey Cortana" command. If it worked on every screen that would be great.

On my Surface, hey Cortana works without clicking the mic button.

Still using those ugly little modal boxes? Someone suggest that it has to be overhauled to make the properties menus of cluttered settings like the hard drive more usable. The stacked switching order stuff was insane in 1995 and is still insane today. And speaking of old modal boxes, I got to try out the latest Windows 10 build. Lol why is there still a screensaver? And better yet, why is it still using the XP CRT monitor preview complete with the fake stretched desktop preview?

I miss the centered titles in the title bar. Has that been turned into a togglable option yet?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Cannot use start menu without "Run Admins in Derp Mode".

Really would like some sudo visudo right about now. Also listing all apps in super spaced out mode with massive letters reiterated our belief in the alphabet not appreciated.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I really am astounded by the decision to space out the all apps like in windows 8 but vertically. It makes it useless. Sure, if you're a consumer that has 10 consumer apps it doesn't matter. You can pin your consumerist apps with lives tiles all over your start screen. But for people that actually develop software and want consistently organized UI across all PCs, you're shit out of luck. Not even an option to organize apps with compact, easily visible apps. All apps is once again a completely irrelevant feature.

jelly

Have Microsoft made a mistake, it reminds me of Windows 7 on Tablets. Windows 8 needed some UI tweaks, consolidation of the file system and other options for better tablet use but it's pretty good otherwise. Windows 10 just needed to provide a better UI for desktop users that wasn't a bad mesh of two user interfaces. I understand they want a similar experience across platforms but they've gone too far and it harms their great strides with touch. Windows 8 was a problem because it was two different styles clashed together with one UI taking more precedence, they've just flip flopped to the desktop now instead of touch and the problem remains much the same and is even worse because it's the wrong horse to bet on these days. They need two seperate UIs with clear user interactions.

Pooya

Thurrott says 'Continuum' needs to be specifically implemented by the OEM for future products and currently only works on SP3. Is it true? my pro1 probably stays at 8.1 forever if so...

Microsoft tells me that other detachable PCs will get Continuum in the future but that this feature requires PC makers to explicitly support it.

Thurrott says 'Continuum' needs to be specifically implemented by the OEM for future products and currently only works on SP3. Is it true? my pro1 probably stays at 8.1 forever if so...

Why would you stay at 8.1, if the Pro 1 doesn't support Continuum? That doesn't make sense. You can manually switch between Tablet and Desktop mode by pressing the button on the Action Center. Swipe in from the side, tap on the button. Sure, it's not as elegant as an automatic solution, but you get the same result.

Top Bottom