• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Pooya

Because touch UI is definitely inferior in Win10 and I've been using mine more like a tablet. If I don't get nice new things like that why bother, it's not like I need DX12 or windowed modern apps on a 10inch screen. :b We're yet to see modern 'Spartan' too, if they move the address bar to top ala Chrome on android tablet or like how winphone version is that seals the deal that I won't upgrade my Surface to seemingly get even worse battery life. It doesn't seem worth it all things considered, hardly any benefit.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
good, how it behaves? DO you have to detach the cover completely or folding it back is enough?

Folding it back is enough, I get the notification to switch to tablet mode. A current issue is that the start screen doesn't usually pop up full screen when switching. This is also an issue when closing apps. Switching back to desktop works fine.

Because touch UI is definitely inferior in Win10 and I've been using mine more like a tablet. If I don't get nice new things like that why bother, it's not like I need DX12 or windowed modern apps on a 10inch screen. :b We're yet to see modern 'Spartan' too, if they move the address bar to top ala Chrome on android tablet or like how winphone version is that seals the deal that I won't upgrade my Surface to seemingly get even worse battery life. It doesn't seem worth it all things considered, hardly any benefit.

It's a bit early to judge the UI on this preview. We're still months away from RTM.

FyreWulff

It's truly a beta, so yeah I'd wait.

Like for example, Windows 10 doesn't actually idle the screen off on my laptop. It'll just make the screen go all black in color, but keeps the mouse pointer on-screen, and doesn't turn off the screen when I close it. So they're not done hooking up all the states and everything.

Just got an warning that my system was running low on memory (8GB, IE with about 10 tabs opened, two Visual Studio instances, skype desktop and the feedback app).

And soon afterwards i got a blue screen of death, but the screen itself was like a corrupted image... And after restarting the event log just showed that the system unexpectedly shut down but had no info on the cause, so I think I can't give feedback on the error :(

Build 9931 showed up for me in Windows Update. Downloading now!

Edit: The update failed mid download, and now the new build no longers appears... Bummer :(

I hope the touch UI is as good or better than Win8.1 by the time it actually ships. I don't want it to be a step back but I want to run it on my Spro :(

Oh well I'll probably be getting a Spro 4 this year anyway hue hue hue

dLMN8R

I hope the touch UI is as good or better than Win8.1 by the time it actually ships. I don't want it to be a step back but I want to run it on my Spro :(

Oh well I'll probably be getting a Spro 4 this year anyway hue hue hue

Just remember that the touch UI literally has to be as good or better than 8.1, since there will be versions of it which ship without a Desktop. So it's not like the Desktop is reinvigorated at the expense of touch, it's that in the final version touch needs to be able to completely stand on its own.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
bs27APo.png

More hotdog menus please Microsoft!

This will likely change as the new app designs come out (see the new OneNote app).

Just remember that the touch UI literally has to be as good or better than 8.1, since there will be versions of it which ship without a Desktop. So it's not like the Desktop is reinvigorated at the expense of touch, it's that in the final version touch needs to be able to completely stand on its own.

It has to be able to stand alone; that doesn't mean the experience will necessarily be better otherwise though. People are scaring me with their early impressions ITT!

:p

clav

Already submitted a suggestion about this problem.

I hope Windows 10 incorporates gamepads better than the previous Windows did. Always felt weird switching back and forth between the keyboard mouse and gamepad setups.

dLMN8R

It has to be able to stand alone; that doesn't mean the experience will necessarily be better otherwise though. People are scaring me with their early impressions ITT!

:p

Of course - I'm just saying that those facts are why the team knows they absolutely cannot screw it up. For devices with no desktop, it's simply not an option to ship with anything close to what you see today in terms of touch support.

KKRT00

Is it know how upgrade will work for retail version of Win 10 from for example Windows 8.1?
Just a big patch or You will have to reinstall whole system from a scratch?

You can upgrade directly with Windows Update, and you'll keep your installed apps, files settings etc.

RTM will likely be the same, assuming nothing changes.

KKRT00

You can upgrade directly with Windows Update, and you'll keep your installed apps, files settings etc.

RTM will likely be the same, assuming nothing changes.

Awesome thanks, thats exactly what i wanted to hear :)
I'll will be making fresh 8.1 installation in few weeks and just dont want to repeat it in 5-6 months again.

CSJ

why fix what's not broken?

anyway I have positive feedback on W10, when it doesn't act like a PoS beta.

I only started win8.1 about 2 months ago with a new PC Build but I'm like that, win7 wasn't giving me issues so stayed on it because the hassle of a reinstall I couldn't be bothered with, so much manual stuff I personally have to do to get things up to scratch!

I'm never an early adopter, there's always threads full for months of people having issues with a game/piece of hardware/driver etc solely on the basis it's "Windows version X" and "it's a known issue."

For example in ARMA 2/3 there are lots of mods and plugins required to play with a certain group, as well as external applications and when win8 came out there were endless issues with the issue stemming from win8. I said to myself "fuck that shit" and waited until I stopped seeing those issues. I have no doubt 10 will spring it's own issues and while I'd love to upgrade, I'm going to wait until about a week before the offer ends, I'll let other test the waters and find issues that I'll probably have to fix myself :p

Ultimately I don't really much care for anything about the WindowsOS except it's ease of access to locations/services I've been used to since 95, they've pretty much always been called the same names since then or found in the same place with the same shortcuts and keybinds. Win8 shook that up a bit and make getting to some things slightly longer but it's still there.

Battery life has been pretty terrible on my SP3, with the tablet being constantly hot (and throttled)... Yesterday it updated and now it's better. Still not like it used too, but it's getting way less warm and holding up more charge.

Looks like it's a mistake.

Oh, I see. Thanks for pointing out.

Hope this means a newer build won't be too far off.

Is the Win10 touch interface really that much worse or is just a case of the alphas/betas/whatevers? Despite lack of apps, W8.1 is still the best touch interface IMO.

Is the Win10 touch interface really that much worse or is just a case of the alphas/betas/whatevers? Despite lack of apps, W8.1 is still the best touch interface IMO.

Nothing about the interface is finished. Then again, neither was the interface in the Windows 8 previews and we all know how it turned out!

Dash27

Hurry up with this Microsoft. I want a Surface but I need to see what the 4 will bring to the table. I'm assuming the Surface 4 will come out around when 10 releases?

Hurry up with this Microsoft. I want a Surface but I need to see what the 4 will bring to the table. I'm assuming the Surface 4 will come out around when 10 releases?

Not sure, honestly. The Pro 3 was announced in May last year--not sure if we should expect a Pro 4 announcement around then, though. I'm THIS close to picking up a Pro 3, though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I dont even have Windows 8 yet.

Same, Windows 7 is great and I never saw the need to get 8, especially with the tablet UI and no start menu that was later fixed. Windows 10 looks like a great mix of both and I'll upgrade day one for sure.

Dash27

Not sure, honestly. The Pro 3 was announced in May last year--not sure if we should expect a Pro 4 announcement around then, though. I'm THIS close to picking up a Pro 3, though.

Me too man. I'm badly in need of a new laptop and I could definitely use a good tablet too since the kids use my ipad much more than I do.

I'll probably cave and buy one soon if I don't hear anything about the 4.

Spro4 should be pretty amazing with the Broadwell chips. My main issue with SP3 (and I'm sure they'll continue it with SP4) is the weird, non-standard resolution that it has. I would *love* another 1080p surface like the SP2.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Spro4 should be pretty amazing with the Broadwell chips. My main issue with SP3 (and I'm sure they'll continue it with SP4) is the weird, non-standard resolution that it has. I would *love* another 1080p surface like the SP2.

There's an outside possibility of skylake if SP4 ships late in the year

Heretic

I miss not being able to slide my mouse down the right side of the screen and seeing the time clock pop up on the bottom left.

I'm surprised at how much I miss that...

Can we get a better color picker yet? I'm surprised that even today, the same, lossy and banded color picker from 1995 is still stock for the OS. Not even a hexadecimal value because what's the internet in Windows 95? This needs to be addressed this time around.

Can we get a better color picker yet? I'm surprised that even today, the same, lossy and banded color picker from 1995 is still stock for the OS. Not even a hexadecimal value because what's the internet in Windows 95? This needs to be addressed this time around.
A great feedback idea. I hope you share this with the feedback app. It's something that should be improved.

Mr_Zombie

Yes, the new Store (labeled "beta") doesn't work for me either - downloading anything results in similar error message. There's still the old Store (with old layout) available in Win10 that works well.

Top Bottom