• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

I skipped all of them so far.

Time for Surface phone.

x86 (ultra low power) Lumia, 5" screen, small keyboard attachment.

A phone with desktop mode. Could be pretty great actually. I'm unsure whether or not the ultra low end intel stuff is viable yet though.

Dont forget a micro HDMI output/miracast/desktop dock with full sized usb slots so we can hook it up to a monitor and use it as a full PC.

its only logical.

MS already has full windows running on 7 inch tablets with only 1GB of RAM. 2GB less than my phone.

Surely a 6 inch phablet with even a "mobile tailored" version of W10 that can connect to a monitor and run "universal office" and such is next on the table.

jagowar

Microsoft finally fixed the Surface Pro 2 battery issues!
ibdeiyYS1AtOOk.PNG

I've had pretty horrible battery life on the sp3 too.... hopefully it is fixed too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I am trying to install the preview on my Surface Pro 1. It downloads, reboots, goes through the whole install, reboots (seemingly done) but then Windows 8 comes back up with no errors or anything.

What gives?

Bumpers

So I am trying to install the preview on my Surface Pro 1. It downloads, reboots, goes through the whole install, reboots (seemingly done) but then Windows 8 comes back up with no errors or anything.

What gives?
Are you installing by USB? I had the same with my laptop but not PC or server, for some reason using a USB stick with the NTFS file system doesn't install it correctly, using FAT32 worked.

If you used the Microsoft USB creation tool, copy all of the files to a folder somewhere on your PC, reformat the drive to FAT32, then just add them back, causes no issues with boot.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is there an ETA on the consumer preview? I'm dying to try this out, but the dev preview seems a tad too janky for my tastes.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Are you installing by USB? I had the same with my laptop but not PC or server, for some reason using a USB stick with the NTFS file system doesn't install it correctly, using FAT32 worked.

If you used the Microsoft USB creation tool, copy all of the files to a folder somewhere on your PC, reformat the drive to FAT32, then just add them back, causes no issues with boot.

Nah, I went to the site on my Surface and hit update, it then downloaded through Windows Update. I'm trying it again now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Weird. Same thing happened. Installed, rebooted, stayed on the Surface screen and said it was finishing the install, then comes up to Win 8.1 with no error.

Huh...

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Paul Thurrott is often difficult to listen to but his comments on this weeks Windows Weekly were pretty stupid. He brushed off everyone's complaints with the current preview build with basically "I've been using Windows for a long time so I can tell you for sure it's better and they don't know what they're talking about" and when people in the stream commented on how the touch experience on their tablets was really bad with the current build his response was "well I have to question why people are using Windows on a tablet in the first place". Uh, thanks Paul, very helpful.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Paul Thurrott is often difficult to listen to but his comments on this weeks Windows Weekly were pretty stupid. He brushed off everyone's complaints with the current preview build with basically "I've been using Windows for a long time so I can tell you for sure it's better and they don't know what they're talking about" and when people in the stream commented on how the touch experience on their tablets was really bad with the current build his response was "well I have to question why people are using Windows on a tablet in the first place". Uh, thanks Paul, very helpful.

Haven't listened to the new one yet, but yeah sometimes he can be hard to listen to, sometimes he is on point though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

What gives?

I think I had a similar issue. How much space do you have? I needed 20GB of free space to make it work.

MS already has full windows running on 7 inch tablets with only 1GB of RAM. 2GB less than my phone.

Surely a 6 inch phablet with even a "mobile tailored" version of W10 that can connect to a monitor and run "universal office" and such is next on the table.

That they do, or rather did. According to Techradar they are removing the desktop option from all devices below 8"

Techradar said:
If you appreciate the ability to run full Win32 apps on a tablet form factor smaller than 8 inches, you should pick up any one of the existing 7-inch tablet models before Windows 10 officially launches. According to Microsoft Operating Systems Group corporate vice president Joe Belfiore, new Windows 10 hardware with displays smaller than 8 inches will not ship with the classic desktop environment and cannot run legacy apps.

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...the-windows-desktop-on-7-inch-tablets-1282371

I know there are a couple of 7" win8 tablets around they have been picking up steam because of their sub £100 price. It was neat to have what amounted to a fully featured PC in an attractively small form.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Haven't listened to the new one yet, but yeah sometimes he can be hard to listen to, sometimes he is on point though.

He is sometimes which is one of the reason's I still listen to the show but he was in full condescending mode during that segment.

I agree it's not a finished product but he basically brushed off all complaints with "it's just better" without seeming to have any understanding of what the complaints are. It's only "oh people hated the charms bar and now they miss it, people are stupid" when it's really certain aspects of the charms bar that are now missing that make using Win10 on a tablet more difficult.

Jinroh

Does anybody else have issues playing youtube videos with chrome on windows 10? They play normally with IE, but on chrome the sound is all messed up, and I can't fix it. I tried enabling/disabling the flash plugin, to no avail.

Jinroh

Right, I forgot about that. But then what's wrong exactly? IE plays those videos perfectly well... It doesn't work as well with Canari. So the problem might be how Chrome interacts with Windows 10 maybe?

It's failing for me too.

Damn Ms, you are such a tease XD

Edit: Damn, now i's showing up 9934.

I'll stop checking, obviously I'm being trolled, lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Have they said if we'll be able to disable the new start menu and revert back to 8.1's Start Screen?

No and i doubt it. The new start screen is far from perfect, but we are still 6 months or so from release so there will be a lot of tweaking and adjusting coming. I'm looking forward to the transparent start screen.

Megasoum

Banned
No and i doubt it. The new start screen is far from perfect, but we are still 6 months or so from release so there will be a lot of tweaking and adjusting coming. I'm looking forward to the transparent start screen.

Yeah but I love so much the Start Screen... Hopefully the start menu improves a lot.

Jzero

The new start menu freaking sucks. I liked the ability of being able to enable the old start screen in the previous build.

Is there a list of shit that's bad about the Start screen? Conceptually, it seemed like a perfect mix of what everyone wanted, but all I hear are complaints now.

Have they said if we'll be able to disable the new start menu and revert back to 8.1's Start Screen?

I think so, yeah. I know that they're pushing continuum (or whatever the auto-switching thing is), but I could have sworn I read that they'll include the option for manual switching.

So is it known that the charms bar is gone forever never to turn not even in consumer builds?

Yes. Charms are totally gone now. Swiping in from the right brings up the action center now.

For legacy 8.1 apps, the charms options are now in the hamburger menu in the upper left of the window chrome. It seems that Windows 10 apps won't use the concept of charms at all (see how the new Store or Spartan in the demo didn't use them). Good riddance! While I personally didn't mind them as it made core UI get out of the way, it was always confusing when you could do things like share from the app, or what the devices app was really used for. It is much more discoverable having them be buttons which show up at the appropriate times in the UI, or be available in a menu when needed.

Jzero

Is there a list of shit that's bad about the Start screen? Conceptually, it seemed like a perfect mix of what everyone wanted, but all I hear are complaints now.

The Windows 8.1 Start Screen had the ability to turn on and off live tiles, you could make it transparent so it looks sleeker (kinda like Apple's Mac Launcher), no "places" and "most used" thing on the left corner taking up space.

Here's some photos: Windows 8.1 (first photo) vs Windows 10

igTNeEI8xOYa8.jpg
ib0YdWPvTCMwxk.jpg

dLMN8R

Guys, the start screen you're looking at now in the January Tech Preview is extremely early. It's not at all representative of functionality that will be there by the time Windows 10 ships.

StudioTan

Right, to reiterate what I wrote previously in relation to using this current version with touch.

1 - The text list on the side is terrible. In tablet mode it shouldn't be visible at all and if you have to use it's extremely difficult because everything is tiny and having to scroll a vertical text list and twirl down folders with your finger is really tedious and cumbersome. I've argued many times that even using it with a mouse pre-Windows 8 sucks for launching programs and I can't believe people even want that back but having to use it with touch is even worse. The previous way of swiping up to see a full list of all apps was much better. All they needed to do was add an option so close folders if people wanted since it seemed the biggest complaint was that folders with too many things in them made it looks messy.

2 - With the removal of the charms bar the only way to access the Start menu is by either using a hardware button or by pressing the tiny Start menu icon. This requires having to do a lot of moving around with your hands just to launch a program. With 8.1 you could swipe with your thumb and that Start button would be right there. Now you have to use 2 hands and if you're holding the tablet is portrait mode near your body it's hard to reach the taskbar or in hardware button in the case of the Surface. It's maybe hard to explain unless you're using it but it's just more awkward to launch stuff and it makes the device seem clunky whereas before it felt smooth and elegant.

3 - That fact that everything is smaller really doesn't help.

Guys, the start screen you're looking at now in the January Tech Preview is extremely early. It's not at all representative of functionality that will be there by the time Windows 10 ships.

That's good to know but it doesn't hurt to give our feedback now while it's still early, in case these issues weren't already clear to the team.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
That's good to know but it doesn't hurt to give our feedback now while it's still early, in case these issues weren't already clear to the team.

This is the healthiest way to approach criticisms of the pre-release builds though I wonder if people realize that things can and will change up till release.

I think that the main issue is that they changed the underlying tech. The start menu/screen is now an universal app, which probably is going to replace the start screen of WP and Xbox as well. But for making the change they've taken some significant steps back as far features and usability goes. Currently the start screen doesn't adapt to touch at all, it just the same with keyboard+mouse but maximized completely. That sucks, but it's clear that it's a very initial release, so I'm sure it will improve a lot very soon.

The other main issues with touch are:

- Currently they always show the taskbar. Which is honestly an easy fix, and I think it's on the way, because for the apps you can make completely full screen swiping from the bottom brings the taskbar up, and once you click elsewhere it hides.

- The charms bar is gone.
That is a more complex issue, because this means two things. Previously actions that were great to have there are now gone, like volume, start button or changing the brightness. This is more solvable, Ms just needs to bring those actions back (and hopefully add other actions like remove USB devices and media controls).

8.1 metro apps, that relied on the charms bar are now a chore to use, because you have to click on the hamburger menu on the title bar, select app commands or the charm you want to use, and that menu is not very touch friendly, plus that's way more stepsthan it used to be. So it sucks... That's the issue that's more complicated to solve. It's clear from what Ms has showed that the design language is changing with win10. They now have hamburger menu for application menus, ellipsis button for "more actions in the same context", and much like search in 8 -> 8.1 they now will expose the charms in their UI itself...

Which basically means, if the app updates to win10 they are going to be fine with touch, but if they don't using them with touch is going to suck very hard... It might be a problem because the windows store is not exactly known for their stellar app support (I have some apps that are still using W8 apis XD)

dLMN8R

Yeah, I'm not saying don't provide feedback, I'm just saying don't freak out about its current state as if it's representative of what the final version will be.\

As for the charms bar, them being gone made me so happy. No excuse, no defense, not coming back. EVER.

M3d10n

They need some standard touch-friendly way for accessing the app-specific settings and permissions that were accessed via the charms for "legacy" apps. Since those apps were designed with charms in mind, they don't rely on swipe-from-right gestures, they could offer a legacy charms menu for them.

When using mouse&kb, just add the hamburguer menu on the title bar as usual.

dLMN8R

So Chrome has had abysmal performance for me for a while, but now it seems even worse on Windows 10. Is anyone else seeing this?

I'll be browsing twitter.com and open a new tab in the background, and Chrome will just die for 20-30 seconds while it's loading that tab.

This is on a Core i5 Surface Pro 3, not a sluggish device. What the heck is going on? IE and Firefox don't have problems anything like this.

It gets even worse with a page with gifs on it, but even without it it's terrible.

Heretic

So Chrome has had abysmal performance for me for a while, but now it seems even worse on Windows 10. Is anyone else seeing this?

I'll be browsing twitter.com and open a new tab in the background, and Chrome will just die for 20-30 seconds while it's loading that tab.

This is on a Core i5 Surface Pro 3, not a sluggish device. What the heck is going on? IE and Firefox don't have problems anything like this.

It gets even worse with a page with gifs on it, but even without it it's terrible.

#WaitForSpartan

Zeknurn

Opera feels sluggish as well on my desktop. Menus takes 1-2 seconds to open. It's especially bad on Neogaf.

The entire build feels a bit sluggish in Hyper-V. And why does 9935 show up in Windows Update, but won't let me download it? I always get some kind of error. Same with app updates on the Store.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member

I had that problem a few months ago but it hasn't re-occurred since I disabled hardware acceleration. Whether that's relevant to a SP3, I'm not sure.

The current preview build just on its own with anything running makes my sp3 very hot, which I believe turns the throttling every time and makes the overall experience very poor.

Yesterday I was editing a excel worksheet, and performance was pretty terrible, like locking for seconds when scroll the sheet, sometimes even blacking out the screen for a while. Granted it was full of formulas but an i5 shouldn't have that much issue with that.

On chrome I can't even watch a video without some heavy stuttering, where before I could have some simultaneous streams that wouldn't stutter like that.

dLMN8R

I had that problem a few months ago but it hasn't re-occurred since I disabled hardware acceleration. Whether that's relevant to a SP3, I'm not sure.

Which flag did you enable/disable? I'll try this one:

Disable accelerated 2D canvas

Any others?

[edit] Enabling that flag (disabling the acceleration) does seem to have helped. Thanks!!

The current preview build just on its own with anything running makes my sp3 very hot, which I believe turns the throttling every time and makes the overall experience very poor.

Yesterday I was editing a excel worksheet, and performance was pretty terrible, like locking for seconds when scroll the sheet, sometimes even blacking out the screen for a while. Granted it was full of formulas but an i5 shouldn't have that much issue with that.

On chrome I can't even watch a video without some heavy stuttering, where before I could have some simultaneous streams that wouldn't stutter like that.

There are some bugs which cause excessive background task activity, but you can get around those by killing bad processes in task manager. This is just me observing Chrome on its own doing this.

Top Bottom