• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Jzero

This new build of Windows 10 is so fucking buggy compared to the previous ones. That's what i get for choosing "fast" haha

I keep getting the "Click here to enter your most recent credentials"

That they do, or rather did. According to Techradar they are removing the desktop option from all devices below 8"

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...the-windows-desktop-on-7-inch-tablets-1282371

I know there are a couple of 7" win8 tablets around they have been picking up steam because of their sub £100 price. It was neat to have what amounted to a fully featured PC in an attractively small form.

As if Windows 10 couldn't get worse on touch devices, I come across this abomination. No one wanted Windows RT and small Window tablets have started to gain traction since the switch to Intel chips.

Went remove the functionality? It's easy enough to ignore the desktop if you want to.

jediyoshi

Just updated from the old to the new Win10 preview build.

Oops, the desktop start menu is now awful.

Say what you will about Win8, the workflow surrounding launching programs through start never actually changed. Hit the start button/windows key, start typing, up pops the program. Now if I want search programs, I have to use the universal search? Dumb.

nubbe

AWESOME version
XM9knnZ.png

glaurung

Anyone wanna extract the lock screen background images from the system files at the highest resolution?

There are some real beauties in there.

This better not be one of those things where you need to be on a certain version of windows 8 like 8.1 to upgrade. My version of windows 8 is the kind that doesn't let me update to 8.1. Hopefully it doesn't stop me from getting 10 but I have a feeling I'll get screwed.

Lucius86

Banned
Finally got around to loading this up on my spare laptop - yep, this will be the next big OS that everyone adopts. Loving it so far.

I'm not loading this up on my SP2 though, not until it's officially released - the last thing I want are bugs and reduced battery life when I'm out seeing clients.

Faddy

Banned
Huh, apparently Windows 10 is coming to Raspberry Pi 2, and for free:
http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support

I mean, sure, it's the ARM version of Windows (RT) but it is still pretty neat.

There is going to be an ARM version for phones so it will probably be a stripped down version of that. The situation with RT seems to be that it simply isn't worth the effort to try and combine 3 operating systems so they will stick with 2.

Unless all future small devices (including phones) will be on Inter processors but that seems highly unlikely. In think they even demoed ARM phones at the last event.

M3d10n

There is going to be an ARM version for phones so it will probably be a stripped down version of that. The situation with RT seems to be that it simply isn't worth the effort to try and combine 3 operating systems so they will stick with 2.

Unless all future small devices (including phones) will be on Inter processors but that seems highly unlikely. In think they even demoed ARM phones at the last event.

Desktop-less versions of W10 can cut a *lot* of fat, which is required since it'll need to be installed in devices with as little as 4GB of internal memory (Lumia 530). Not running Win32 apps also allows the system to run without a page file, which saves battery on smaller devices.

clav

Huh, apparently Windows 10 is coming to Raspberry Pi 2, and for free:
http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support

I mean, sure, it's the ARM version of Windows (RT) but it is still pretty neat.

Not really news since BUILD last year, Microsoft announced the IoT program, and this PR announcement is just an extension of that positive Windows 10 hype train.

You can already run Windows on Intel Galileo boards, which don't have video ports and only have 256 MB of RAM.

i really want a new build or amd fix the graphics card issue (disabled adapter) that won't work properly. i don't really want to roll back.

This better not be one of those things where you need to be on a certain version of windows 8 like 8.1 to upgrade. My version of windows 8 is the kind that doesn't let me update to 8.1. Hopefully it doesn't stop me from getting 10 but I have a feeling I'll get screwed.

You're not going to get screwed. 7, 8, and 8.1 users all get the free upgrade.

The only people getting screwed are XP users, but seriously, fuck those guys.

Ecto311

Anyone know how to get back to the previous install of windows? I had 7 installed 10 and it is ok but shits up more than it works. Would like to get back to 7 without having to do a wipe/install.

dLMN8R

Anyone know how to get back to the previous install of windows? I had 7 installed 10 and it is ok but shits up more than it works. Would like to get back to 7 without having to do a wipe/install.

If you just upgraded from 7 to the latest preview of 10 (9926), you can go to PC Settings --> Update and Recovery --> Recovery --> Go back to a previous version of Windows

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Chrome was a disaster this morning, even with hardware acceleration disabled. Articles on BBC News were freezing up, even if the page appeared to have finished loading. Between that and GAF acting screwy, I decided it was time to check out what's changed in Firefox.

Anyone got any idea when the next preview build hits?

I feel like I gave all the feedback I could possible give with this build, bring me new stuff to test MS!

mcrommert

Banned
Stupid questions, so if i join the Microsoft insider program I can test Windows 10?

yes

you can install fresh or over windows 7 or 8 or 8.1...it will continue to push updates over windows update until the final version...and if you have updated from 7 or 8.1 you will go all the way to final version and keep it

jsnepo

yes

you can install fresh or over windows 7 or 8 or 8.1...it will continue to push updates over windows update until the final version...and if you have updated from 7 or 8.1 you will go all the way to final version and keep it

Wait... is this confirmed? The only reason keeping me from testing this is because once the final version is released, I don't want to reinstall 8 again just to upgrade.

yes

Thank you very much, sounds awesome, I still got an old Windows 7 laptop at home, which is working fine but I mainly use it for testing different stuff, so I may use it to check out W10.

mcrommert

Banned
Wait... is this confirmed? The only reason keeping me from testing this is because once the final version is released, I don't want to reinstall 8 again just to upgrade.

Yes it is confirmed...it wont be as good as a clean install...but it will work

mcrommert

Banned
Thanks! Just joined the Insider program. The upgrade program just prompted me to restart the computer.

Good luck...i have it on my secondaries but my main computer needs more stable bits. You can also choose between the slow and fast track...slow being more stable but slower :) If you have gone through the trouble to update you probably want fast though

Zeknurn

The preview versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint for Windows 10 are now available.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...ord-excel-powerpoint-windows-10-now-available

Word
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/word-preview/9wzdncrfjb9s

Excel
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/excel-preview/9wzdncrfjbh3

Powerpoint
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/powerpoint-preview/9wzdncrfjb5q

Also
@GabeAul: Hey #WindowsInsiders, new update for 9926 with some good fixes for you: https://t.co/ocfpmrTexw

This update rollup includes a collection of improvements and fixes for the following issues:
  • XBOX Live-enabled games that require sign-in do not launch, and incorrectly display the message, "To use this app, you need to sign in with the Microsoft account that was used to download it."
  • The Start Menu fails to launch shortly after install
  • The shortcut for the new Store (Beta) does not appear on the taskbar
  • The user remains at the "Please Wait" screen when attempting to sign in with a Smart Card connected
  • Virtual machines (VMs) lose connectivity to virtual hard drives (VHDs)
  • Users receive Error 0x8E5E05E2 when installing apps
  • The system stops responding when installing apps from the Store
  • There is a delay when opening a new tab in Internet Explorer
  • The system fails to resume from sleep when connected to multiple monitors with some graphics drivers
  • The user is presented with the incorrect End-User License Agreement (EULA) during upgrade
  • The Settings app incorrectly reports that new builds are available, which return error 0x80246017 when attempting to download
  • The screen doesn't properly refresh after rotating between portrait and landscape
  • Creating a virtual machine or bringing a HyperV host under management results in error 0x80200065 - "The transfer was paused because the computer is in power-saving mode. The transfer will resume when the computer wakes up."
  • Windows Remote Desktop Client crashes when playing video or displaying fast moving images in a remote session
  • Reliability improvements for virtual machine live migrations
  • Reliability improvements to prevent some system crashes
  • Reliability improvements to prevent possible data corruption
  • Increased power efficiency to extend battery life

3 things I already don't like about the new touch office apps:

- It always downloads the file from my OneDrive, even when the file is already synced local.
- Opening files from your local machine is possible, but it must upload the file to OneDrive before opening it
- If it's a file this version not supports (in my example it was a excel sheet where the formulas were protected) it only warns you after sending the file to OneDrive.

Well, at least now I have plenty of new feedback to give :p

Oh shit.

I purchased a game last week (Settlers of Catan) from the store... For some reason it didn't download, so I go to the store, and realize that it's marked as I did not own the game, but I was absolutely sure I got charged (even on the web store said so), so i go through the purchase process again... And I got charged twice :(

I don't remember from which store I first made the purchase (I believe it was the beta store) but for the second time it was the old.

Raide

Ditto. That's what I'm waiting for to switch over. I've had it up to here with Firefox, but IE doesn't offer the level of plugin support I need.

I am enjoying the changes they are making to Windows as a whole but the improvements Spartan is supposed to bring over IE will be great to see.

I installed this on an extra laptop day one but I haven't touched it since. How are people liking this for their main desktop? I currently run Windows 8.1 but I was curious about going ahead and upgrading this for my main PC. How is game compatibility etc right now?

I hope Spartan comes soon.

I just for the love of god, that they don't follow the stupid IE idea of adding each opened tab as a window in the taskbar (only a problem when you combine buttons, but still). It's specially bad when you have plenty of tabs opened and they change the order in that list in comparison to the tabs actual placement, just to annoy the user XD

Wreav

Banned
I just for the love of god, that they don't follow the stupid IE idea of adding each opened tab as a window in the taskbar (only a problem when you combine buttons, but still). It's specially bad when you have plenty of tabs opened and they change the order in that list in comparison to the tabs actual placement, just to annoy the user XD

People who combine buttons are the worst people on the face of earth and deserve all the misery they get.

Top Bottom