• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Jinroh

Wait, Dreamspark keys expire?

edit: I thought you were talking about previous windows keys that can be converted to windows 10.

I think he means Windows 10 will be available on Dreamspark before he loses access to it.

Bingo. My Dreamspark account expires at the end of September last I checked. So I'm hoping I can grab a key for Windows 10 (Pro?) and Visual Studio 2015 Ultimate before it expires.

Jinroh

Bingo. My Dreamspark account expires at the end of September last I checked. So I'm hoping I can grab a key for Windows 10 (Pro?) and Visual Studio 2015 Ultimate before it expires.
Then you'll end up with tons of keys :D

I got Windows 7/8/8.1 french, english, 64 and 32 bits keys from Dreamspark, and from what I saw each one of them is multi-region and compatible 32 and 64 bits. It makes a lot of potential Windows 10 keys.

My dreamspart got deactivated last september, but since the Windows 10 license will be free for all of those keys, I'm not missing much I think.

FyreWulff

the second screen works now. did the latest update. uninstalled the driver and software and installed whatever they pushed when i did the windows update. idk if it'll work if i restart but it works now.

This just happened to me. Update happened, laptop restarted, I un-installed the Radeon from Device Manager and restarted to make Windows re-install it. I now have multimon/hardware accelerated video. Yay!

linkboy

Anyone know how to force Windows to use a specific driver. I've got the Realtek audio sound bug and it only happens when Windows uses the Realtek driver. The generic MS audio driver works fine. However, Windows keeps pulling the Realtek driver after I go and delete it. It'll go with the MS driver and then just switch over to the Realtek one.

edit
I went and disabled the automatically install drivers from Windows Update, deleted the realtek audio and set it up again. It's using the generic Windows driver, hopefully that solves the issue.

Anyone know how to force Windows to use a specific driver. I've got the Realtek audio sound bug and it only happens when Windows uses the Realtek driver. The generic MS audio driver works fine. However, Windows keeps pulling the Realtek driver after I go and delete it. It'll go with the MS driver and then just switch over to the Realtek one.

edit
I went and disabled the automatically install drivers from Windows Update, deleted the realtek audio and set it up again. It's using the generic Windows driver, hopefully that solves the issue.

Is that the surround sound issue? I never thought to try using the Windows driver to avoid that.

linkboy

Is that the surround sound issue? I never thought to try using the Windows driver to avoid that.

What happens is anytime there's a notification (or any sound in general), it's a loud, screeching, grating sound that can only be described as the gates of hell opening and the tortured screams of an eternity of souls screaming combined with Rosanne Bar singing the National Anthem while 37 people scratch their nails on a chalkboard.

SFenton

Bumping for glorious PhoneGAF: Windows 10 for phones technical preview is out now for the following models:

Lumia 630
Lumia 635
Lumia 636
Lumia 638
Lumia 730
Lumia 830

My 820 and Icon aren't there :( Higher-end phones are undergoing a little more dev time for "partition stitching" apparently.

For the Surface Pro 3 owners on preview (or any tablet with pen).

Is the pen support really terrible for you too? Mine is not properly blocking my hand and it causes some nasty issue with the ink fighting with my hand for the input.

It's been like this since I upgraded, just want to make sure it's a common issue.

Forgot to mention, that only happens in apps that handle the pen input as a pen (like both OneNotes). Using the pen in general, where it merely mimics the mouse seems to be fine.

Bumping for glorious PhoneGAF: Windows 10 for phones technical preview is out now for the following models:

Lumia 630
Lumia 635
Lumia 636
Lumia 638
Lumia 730
Lumia 830

My 820 and Icon aren't there :( Higher-end phones are undergoing a little more dev time for "partition stitching" apparently.
My icon weeps in disappointment.

Lumia 630
Lumia 635
Lumia 636
Lumia 638
Lumia 730
Lumia 830

Sweet, I just got a 635 a few weeks ago.

kharma45

I mean, same with my 820. I'm guessing we'll see a rollout within the next week or two to more devices.

820 I can understand as its not a Snapdragon 400 like the phones in the preview. If the 730 is getting it then the 735 should. Only difference is the 735 is 4G and not dual SIM.

This is probably the only time that I can recall that I'm actually kind of excited for a Microsoft OS.

Not with Vista, not with 7, not with 8 or 8.1.

Not even XP.

SFenton

My icon weeps in disappointment.

image.php

I hope that new build is soon. Windows is dead set on making sure I run older AMD drivers.

Disabling hardware driver finding on Windows Update doesn't work either because we're forced to install every update, including video drivers. Pain in the butt at the moment.

NJDEN

First time using Windows 10. So far I'm loving all most everything and it runs nearly flawlessly on my laptop; however, I can't stand the new start menu...

I wouldn't care if classic shell worked properly, but it doesn't since I can't drag icons into the menu without the normal Win10 menu appearing over it...

What happened to that start menu preview I saw last year sometime in the Fall . That one looked like it just combined the Windows 7 start menu with some Windows 8 start page functionality.

What happened to that start menu preview I saw last year sometime in the Fall . That one looked like it just combined the Windows 7 start menu with some Windows 8 start page functionality.
It was in the previous builds but was then replaced with the start menu that's in the current build.

They're still tweaking and adding things. The start menu is currently being built from the ground up.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Stability has been terrible since the last set of updates which included updated AMD drivers. Firefox, Chrome and VLC all shitting the bed at random and fairly frequently.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably the only time that I can recall that I'm actually kind of excited for a Microsoft OS.

Not with Vista, not with 7, not with 8 or 8.1.

Not even XP.
you.... might not like windows? 3.11 was pretty dope i guess?

anyone here using it in enterprise for test? i just rolled out direct access at my office, and its amazing, but ein 7 is retarded as far as network awareness goes. win 8 is better but hoping for massive improvements in that area and IE stuff in general. ms doesnt really advertise it but IE is really thghtly tied to how windows works. IE 11 was a big step forward but i hope this new thing is really.... a new thing

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
People who brought you Start8 have launched a start menu replacement called Start10 for Windows 10 (an OS in beta) because "it's still lacking features."

It's a pretty disgusting cash grab trumpeted up with bullshit reasoning
Start10 follows up on the success of Start8, can you talk a bit about the traction you saw with Start 8 and now it influenced Start10?

With Windows 8, Microsoft at first eliminated the Start menu. This was a big problem for both consumers and enterprise customers who wanted a quick, obvious way to get to their documents, images, most used apps and search. Thankfully, Microsoft added the Start button back in Windows 8.1 but it just took users to the start screen which, again, was non-ideal for users to get to their stuff on a desktop.

Start8 was designed to bring the Start menu from Windows 7 to Windows 8 with an refreshed UX to make it match the look and feel of Windows 8.

...but HEY! OPTIONS right?

Mr_Zombie

Well, they are not wrong with this:
iginally, I thought Windows 10 would make a program like Start8 obsolete. Unfortunately, the new "start menu" on Windows 10 is really just a miniature version of the Windows 8 Start screen.

For instance, the search bar is in the taskbar using space all the time. If you search something in it, there's no context menu, no jump lists, no way to go to the directory of the file.

The Start menu itself doesn't allow you to drag and drop things to and from it. It mixes multiple interfaces together in a way that makes getting to desktop related content harder.

The start menu from Windows 10 (at least in the preview version) does lack a lot features that were present in Windows 7.
I really dislike the search bar look and the lack of jump lists and other options under RMB bothered me even in Windows 8.

Well, they are not wrong with this:

The start menu from Windows 10 (at least in the preview version) does lack a lot features that were present in Windows 7.
I really dislike the search bar look and the lack of jump lists and other options under RMB bothered me even in Windows 8.

The more file systems I have to navigate in an operating system, the better, I say! Start menu file trees, Windows Explorer file trees, registry file trees, secret registry file trees (oooh! Those are the best!).

Ecto311

Just got a stream 13 with the celeron chip and 2gb ram. Would windows 10 be an upgrade or downgrade in terms of usability and speed?

hipbabboom

Just got a stream 13 with the celeron chip and 2gb ram. Would windows 10 be an upgrade or downgrade in terms of usability and speed?

I think MS clearly stated their goal was to make the OS more efficient with each successive release of window since Vista.

EDIT: I don't know if the technical release will boast all the final optimizations necessary. I've only been running Win 10 in VM. Maybe you should do a rundown test with 8.1 first and then put 10 on there and run the same test. I'd be interested in knowing.

Ecto311

I think MS clearly stated their goal was to make the OS more efficient with each successive release of window since Vista.

EDIT: I don't know if the technical release will boast all the final optimizations necessary. I've only been running Win 10 in VM. Maybe you should do a rundown test with 8.1 first and then put 10 on there and run the same test. I'd be interested in knowing.

Can I install it on a flash drive and run the OS from there or does it have to be on the shitty tiny built in drive? I have a 16gb class 10 card and a USB3 stick with 32gb and not sure if either of those would be faster than the built in MMC drive in the laptop.

zou

ugh, the thin apple-like icons for navigating file explorer (black, forth) and to close windows are disgusting. looks especially ridiculous next to the fat and ugly pins. really not a fan of any of the icons in general.

and the task bar icons are way too small, more than half the space is empty with a tiny, tiny icon in the middle. wtf.

edit: really missing the charms menu, everything takes forever now. And I don't give a fuck about notification, so the entire thing is useless to me. Display is just a link.. Being able to change the brightness with two clicks was awesome. This is going to be for tablets what Windows 8 was for desktop computers..

the way grouped windows are displayed is also crap, really hard to differentiate and get a rough count of open windows.

WTF said:

zou

So am I wrong or is windows update gone from the control panel? The metro windows update is ridiculous, there's no way to install updates manually (it's either auto or notify to restart), no way to specify a time, no way to see just what is being updated? It's literally just a single line with "an update is ready to install".

What am I missing?

So am I wrong or is windows update gone from the control panel? The metro windows update is ridiculous, there's no way to install updates manually (it's either auto or notify to restart), no way to specify a time, no way to see just what is being updated? It's literally just a single line with "an update is ready to install".

What am I missing?

It's not done yet.

dLMN8R

What am I missing?

There was a blog post in the Insider Hub. If you're on Windows 10 you can follow this link:

insiderhub://announcements/4b3f9e5e-981f-4492-a268-d9235a04474f

hipbabboom

Can I install it on a flash drive and run the OS from there or does it have to be on the shitty tiny built in drive? I have a 16gb class 10 card and a USB3 stick with 32gb and not sure if either of those would be faster than the built in MMC drive in the laptop.

I'm not able to answer that myself... I have a Lynx tablet I plan to install Win10 once it hits the consumer preview and I'm hoping to try both USB and the micro SDHC drives as target before I wipe my built-in just to see if they'll work.

FyreWulff

There was a blog post in the Insider Hub. If you're on Windows 10 you can follow this link:

insiderhub://announcements/4b3f9e5e-981f-4492-a268-d9235a04474f

okay i feel silly because I can't get this to work

paste it into IE or Explorer and it says I don't have any apps that can open insider:// links . Am on Windows 10

dLMN8R

You can just open the Insider Hub app, click "See all" under the Announcements section, and read the February 2nd post about "A new vision for Windows Update"

I'm on desktop build 9926... and I'm starting to get funny readings from Task Manager.

The computer will lock up or freeze, and when I open Task Manager it says that the drive is at 100% usage.

Anyone caught this before?

ReBirFh

I'm on desktop build 9926... and I'm starting to get funny readings from Task Manager.

The computer will lock up or freeze, and when I open Task Manager it says that the drive is at 100% usage.

Anyone caught this before?

Same here but I'm testing on a shitty netbook with only 2GB of RAM

quick question about the people who update to windows 10 through windows 8.1, if I choose to update can I burn a disk of windows 10 and use my 8.1 key to install on the same computer? I would like to do a clean install

Mr_Zombie

Those icons... :|

They look like something out of a quickly drawn computer screen in a cartoon/computer game, not a professional OS. I really hope they are not final.

Coreda

Yikes, and I thought OSX Yosemite was a let down visually. Hardly anyone gets what a decent flat aesthetic should look like, and yet ironically the W8 Metro/Modern UI is fairly cohesive.

Top Bottom