• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

maeh2k

We got word from insiders (was reported on NeoWin as well iirc) when that recycle bin icon was leaked a week or two back that it had already been replaced, but that icon would be in the subsequent build. We'll probably see something close to final icons in another build or two after this.

Then let's hope 'replacing the recycle bin' is code for 'redesigning all icons from scratch'.

Looking at the evolution of Windows 8 and Windows Phone you can't but feel that their designers have no idea where they are going.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I find a certain person not jumping into the Icon reactions that's been going on here on here on GAF for weeks now telling
... in a good way I'm hoping

I find a certain person not jumping into the Icon reactions that's been going on here on here on GAF for weeks now telling
... in a good way I'm hoping

I really do hope they design some good icons. Having flashbacks to leaked builds of Windows 8 and hearing "those W7 icons will be replaced!"

You would think someone would have picked up on this while testing. It should automatically change text color to light when it detects too dark a background, like any sane color scheme changer.

I added a glow back to compensate but I believe it's possible to change the color of the text if you know the correct ID in the default .msstyles. Couldn't find it using MSStyler, but afaik Vista Style Builder is a commercial tool that can more easily do this.
How did you add the glow?
I'm sure that's not possible without 3rd party tools so what did you use to do that?

Coreda

How did you add the glow?
I'm sure that's not possible without 3rd party tools so what did you use to do that?

Keep in mind this is on W8.1. Used MSStyler to edit a copy of the default aero.msstyles visual style in the Windows directory using these properties. Aero Glow is installed as well as the Ux Style patcher, so just fyi haven't tested the theme without it.

wanders

I just did a bit of reading on what is apparently called the "flat design philosophy" which is the Metro look and the "skeuomorphic design philosophy", which means making a virtual window look like a physical glass window, a notepad app having a leather cover, etc. In general it seems to mean that a new device borrows from the design language of the device it is meant to replace.

For some reason designers looked at this and came to the conclusion that it was a bad thing...
Just goes to show how fucking clueless designers are, I guess. They should have put engineers in charge of UI.

What makes you think a engineer can do a better job?

clav

Yep look very similar to what can be found in visio.

Let's play Where's Waldo.

PBOJIS4.png

I can't find it.

Keep in mind this is on W8.1. Used MSStyler to edit a copy of the default aero.msstyles visual style in the Windows directory using these properties. Aero Glow is installed as well as the Ux Style patcher, so just fyi haven't tested the theme without it.

I tried this repeatedly and in multiple versions of both aero and aerolite to try to cover all my bases but it seems that it's impossible... for right now.
I verified after saving and rebooting that the msstyles files all had the correct attributes but no glow ever appeared. I installed UxStyle and tried installind a win8.1 theme for white text. It changed the titlebar buttons but the text remained black.

It looks like they changed the way it works or something for 10 because that text is intent on staying black no matter what.

Jzero

Stop telling me what I want! *runs off crying*

No, seriously. I'm running this on Hyper-V, I couldn't care less about stability issues. Who's insane enough to use it as a daily driver anyway? (lots of people, I know)

ME :D

And i always regret it but i continue doing it every time a new windows comes out.

jelly

112530_900.jpg

111961_900.jpg

113254_900.jpg

113766_900.jpg

Without the modern elements and those icons, I think it would be quite a cool minimalist desktop but all three, it doesn't work, it seems they are trying to tone down icons to fit the rest of the look but retain the at a glance homing in for user experience. The tiles are all sorts of wrong, they were already bad for user experience as they don't stand out individually so that split millisecond user action is much slower in the sea of tiles. Microsoft need some aces up their sleeves for this UI that haven't been seen yet.

Pooya

I'm not sure why they don't make the tiles transparent here like on WP (I see some people don't like that on WP actually, prefer colors), it makes more sense on desktop not to have colored squares everywhere.

The icons though, man I hope they launch like that, I want to see all the hilarious reviews and comics stemming from it, what a joke.

I hope they fix the task bar's current nightmare of a UI, based off those images.

The start button, followed by a search bar, followed by an icon to switch between desktops/apps, intermingled with app icons, followed by the sys tray. It's all kind of inconsistent and I would imagine somewhat anxiety-inducing for those who aren't power users.

Sinecat

Neo Member
Did they fire all of their designers? Seriously, they can hire some photoshop kids for really cheap nowadays to make better icons.

I also wish Microsoft stopped trying to stretch the limits of "flat." This is the first OS that can be easily made in Paint.

jstripes

Banned
Did they fire all of their designers? Seriously, they can hire some photoshop kids for really cheap nowadays to make better icons.

I also wish Microsoft stopped trying to stretch the limits of "flat." This is the first OS that can be easily made in Paint.

What about Windows has ever given you the impression that Microsoft employed designers?

clem84

Gold Member
Will win10 let you downgrade? If after a year of free win10 I want to go back to my copy of win7, will I be able to without formatting and reinstalling everything?

Will win10 let you downgrade? If after a year of free win10 I want to go back to my copy of win7, will I be able to without formatting and reinstalling everything?
Your Windows 7 key would be turned into a Windows 10 key during the upgrade process. So not likely.

markot

Banned
Honestly....

It looks like a complete mess.

And not just the icons >.<

Jebus.

If that's actually true (I doubt it) then you wanted a Mac from the start, just get one now and be done with it.

I have always hated apple and mac, I hate using osx. But... the stuff I am seeing here is making me think about wanting a macbook...

Its like they shat our various ideas and thought 'lets make an os out of it'.

Its actually making me think I wont 'upgrade' from windows 8.1...... and thats saying something.

Top Bottom