• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Reverted back to 8.1, my install was getting increasingly broken. Things got a little better after rolling back the recommended AMD drivers but still way too many crashes for apps I use regularly. iTunes stopped loading with no error messages, VLC crashed after every file I played, BSOD when quitting some games or watching video in a browser. DOSBox also didn't work so I couldn't play Magic Carpet, fuck that noise. I'll check in again when things calm down a bit.

Reverted back to 8.1, my install was getting increasingly broken. Things got a little better after rolling back the recommended AMD drivers but still way too many crashes for apps I use regularly. iTunes stopped loading with no error messages, VLC crashed after every file I played, BSOD when quitting some games or watching video in a browser. DOSBox also didn't work so I couldn't play Magic Carpet, fuck that noise. I'll check in again when things calm down a bit.

I'd love to go back to Win 8.1 but every time I try I get stuck in an infinite update cycle.

Wreav

Banned
If that's actually true (I doubt it) then you wanted a Mac from the start, just get one now and be done with it.

I can't tell if you're defending the new aesthetic or not.

Either way, can't reward Microsoft forever for not having any taste. Not like I necessarily WANT a mac, but defending the latest updates is something I can't do.

Is there no way to steam to an xbox one from within an app? In windows 8 you choose devices, play, and then the system but the charms bar is gone now and there are no replacement in-app controls.

Is there no way to steam to an xbox one from within an app? In windows 8 you choose devices, play, and then the system but the charms bar is gone now and there are no replacement in-app controls.

Windows 8.x apps in Win 10 at this point have the hamburger menu on the title bar that houses what used to be contained in the charms. 'Devices' seems to be missing in apps that have it on 8.x in the given context though. Considering MSFT's new Win 10 Universal apps don't have the hamburger menu for the charms on the title bar, I assume they have some other implementation for stuff like streaming to other devices that they haven't shown yet.

--------------

Hopefully we get a new build this week, it's been a while.

The leaked images from the 1031 build show an option to toggle opened apps in other desktops appearing in the taskbar in all of them or only where the apps are opened :D

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'll give that a shot. Here's a question: I have Windows 7, then an upgrade to 8, then an upgrade to 8.1 (because my key is for 8). Is there any way I can go right to 8.1, or do I have to follow that upgrade path every time?

The tool I linked accepts keys for Windows 8 when you're installing Windows 8.1, so you can skip the 8 install and go straight to 8.1

Just to be Captain Obvious, you'll need to backup any documents/stuff you want to keep on the partition you're wiping, and reinstall any apps/games etc. I purposely keep very little on the boot partition so it's not a major problem.

The tool I linked accepts keys for Windows 8 when you're installing Windows 8.1, so you can skip the 8 install and go straight to 8.1

Just to be Captain Obvious, you'll need to backup any documents/stuff you want to keep on the partition you're wiping, and reinstall any apps/games etc. I purposely keep very little on the boot partition so it's not a major problem.

Awesome! Thanks! Yeah, I boot from an SSD and keep that pretty much clean. Anything important goes on the wife's iMac. I get to have a Windows PC to tinker lol

Frequency and predictability of builds for Windows Insiders

Hi Everyone,

I hear lots of questions about how the Insider Program works and what’s going on with Windows 10 development through the Windows 10 Community forum and on Twitter. It’s often hard there to answer questions for everyone to hear, or to do so with the kind of detail that I’d like. Instead, I’ll periodically post to the Insider Hub with info about top questions that I hear or a blog post like this one.

The first topic has been dominating my Twitter feed for the past 2 weeks: “I want the next build!” First off, I love hearing the genuine excitement that people have about getting new builds and trying out new features, it’s what we had hoped for when we started the Windows Insider Program. Thank you all for your enthusiasm.

Beyond the excitement for a new build, there are two points that are raised that I haven’t been able to respond to well in Twitter’s 140 characters:

“I thought you said in January that builds will be coming faster from now on?”
“Why can’t you just tell us when the next build will be? Can’t you be more transparent?”

With this post I hope to be able to shine some more light on both of these. We are certainly not trying to be opaque, but the answer is more complex than it may seem it should be, and we’ve admittedly taken too long to reply to these points and left people wondering.

I'm really enjoying it. I haven't had a bit of hardware or software not work yet, and it takes the good bits of Windows 8 and gets rid of (some) of the crappier bits.

clav

I like the transition touches Windows 10 adds (i.e. dialog boxes fade in and out).

Makes computing experience somewhat welcoming.

Hopefully Win 7 is gonna be retired like XP soon.

oJkybqA.gif

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Everything just looks so clean and modern, I can't wait to upgrade.

Does anybody have any info on battery life in w10? Will it improve upon w8?

Probably, yeah. They've been saying that the end goal is to get Win 10 to be even slimmer than Win 8, so presumably they'd require less power as well.

I wouldn't expect any dramatic changes, though.

dLMN8R

I'll repeat what I said earlier:

If you don't have a build yet, it's because you don't want a build yet.

Selfhosting internally these last couple of months has been a....challenge....to say the least. Especially on a Surface Pro 3. Much better now.

FyreWulff

Selfhosting internally these last couple of months has been a....challenge....to say the least. Especially on a Surface Pro 3. Much better now.

true that

people should go download and install unstable Linux builds for an idea why internal builds at many companies aren't pushed to the public. that's the closest you can get to an 'internal' build you can publically use.

Well it looks like Gabe is just saying "Fuck it, you cried for faster builds now deal with all the shit that comes with it."

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
expected this, but nice to have more confirmation.
Exclusive: Microsoft's digital assistant to head to Android said:
(Reuters) - Microsoft is working on an advanced version of its competitor to Apple's Siri, using research from an artificial intelligence project called "Einstein."

Microsoft has been running its "personal assistant" Cortana on its Windows phones for a year, and will put the new version on the desktop with the arrival of Windows 10 this autumn.

Later, Cortana will be available as a standalone app, usable on phones and tablets powered by Apple Inc's iOS and Google Inc's Android, people familiar with the project said.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/03/13/microsoft-einstein-idINKBN0M914H20150313
should make cortana useful for me on Windows 10 since i don't have a WP anymore. I want a Microsoft Android Launcher with Cortana etc.. though.

Try using it on your dev box since like august. Those first couple of months....Ouch. Although, I can't even contemplate the multitudes of possible issues with running w10 on a SP3.

Agreed about that much better now.

Try using it on your dev box since like august. Those first couple of months....Ouch. Although, I can't even contemplate the multitudes of possible issues with running w10 on a SP3.

Agreed about that much better now.
I remember you saying that everyone said you were nuts for doing that hah

The Internet does what Microsoft won't.

An untouched ISO of Windows 10 Build 10036 has leaked.

Super buggy, but whatever. People want new bits and here they are.

e: Or as Tom Warren sums it up: "New Windows 10 preview leaks as Microsoft struggles to deliver official version"

dLMN8R

10036 probably cost me a week of productivity and a month off my life thanks to stress.

But hey, go ahead and assume that Microsoft is withholding builds out of spite instead of having a good reason to do it.

Mr_Zombie

I think Microsoft can be partly blame for that - they promised frequent updates, they even added the "fast" circle and then... the last official release was few weeks ago. In the meantime all we got are leaks from unofficial sources. People are simply impatient and want to try new features.

I wouldn't mind a "careful, new but probably extremely buggy" update circle - something that people would be advised to try ONLY on virtual machines and NOT install it as a regular system (because it can format all your HDDs and eat your processor).

Pooya

How are they gonna hit that June RTM date that was rumored right now? Maybe if this build is like 3 months old or something. Even if that's false it must not be much farther if they are launching in their usual late Sep/Early Oct window. I just feel previous releases had much better public testing.

Anyway, I'm not expecting the RTM release to be as 'polished' compared with past releases. This is just a much bigger windows than 7 or 8. Good luck. Not that those didn't have issues.

10036 probably cost me a week of productivity and a month off my life thanks to stress.

But hey, go ahead and assume that Microsoft is withholding builds out of spite instead of having a good reason to do it.

The first two previews have been made available in October last year, which was promising. The third came mid-November, only 3 weeks later. Again. Awesome. Then Nothing until the end of January. Understandable, because of he Holidays and all that. After that, the Windows 10 consumer event came up at the end of January, promising a quicker roll out of builds again. And nothing since then.

"However, not everything you saw on Wednesday is included in this new build. Much is still in-progress and we’re getting it out to you as fast as we can – so you can try it out and give us feedback. Over the course of the next few builds, you will see us refine Windows 10 and continue to improve the experiences as well as quality and stability."

"The gap between 9879 and 9926 is the longest you should expect to see with the program, because of the holidays and the need to add and stabilize feature payloads. We’ll get new builds out faster moving forward – thank you for being patient with us."

"booo hooo, why is everyone mad at us?!" and "you don't want the thing we said you'd get even quicker" isn't a great reaction (not to mention that "you don't want that" is super arrogant). Not that I'm expecting you to step in in any way, it must be super annoying, but sometimes it's better to bite the tongue, when people, who have no idea what they're talking about, want to vent.

I get that Joe and Gabe want people to get excited, but when you get peoples hopes up and raise their expectation, only not to meet them, then some backlash is expected.

How are they gonna hit that June RTM date that was rumored right now? Maybe if this build is like 3 months old or something. Even if that's false it must not be much farther if they are launching in their usual late Sep/Early Oct window.
I just feel previous releases had much better public testing.

Anyway, I'm not expecting the RTM release to be as 'polished' compared with past releases. This is just a much bigger windows than 7 or 8. Good luck. Not that those didn't have issues.

It looks like 10036 was compiled Friday last week.

PSYGN

Minimalist/flat sits on a very fine line between crap and good, unfortunately it seems Microsoft has their feet on both sides. They just can't seem to nail the flat/minimalist design on desktops, but they are getting closer and a final layer of polishing could tie it all together.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think a big problem with Metro's aesthetic is the icons are very inconsistent and ugly as fuck half of the time. Sometimes for the sake of being different it just ends up being inconsistent you get some shit like this:

win8metro.jpg

There are a million custom minimalist iOS themes that are have more consistency in their icons than Metro. Inconsistency also makes it look busier and messier when you port it to platforms like mobile and X1.

maeh2k

I think a big problem with Metro's aesthetic is the icons are very inconsistent and ugly as fuck half of the time. Sometimes for the sake of being different it just ends up being inconsistent you get some shit like this:

win8metro.jpg

There are a million custom minimalist iOS themes that are have more consistency in their icons than Metro. Inconsistency also makes it look busier and messier when you port it to platforms like mobile and X1.

Those look pretty awesome and apart from the perspective on the market place icon they look pretty consistent to me.

Top Bottom