• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

DagsJT

I work in IT as well and use Explorer etc a lot, I must just shut off from looking at icons though as I just don't notice them anymore nowadays.

no maam

Banned
They ever going to have live tiles on the start (windows) button? I mean it's somewhat there, but not what I expect. Besides that, I'm loving windows 10.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with the icons. Loving almost everything about W10 so far.

W10 may end up worse than W8 honestly.Still similar issues W8 had and no improvement there and with the recent build making things worse and i just don't mean icons. Things in the start menu that changed in the latest build was for the worse.

clav

W10 may end up worse than W8 honestly.Still similar issues W8 had and no improvement there and with the recent build making things worse and i just don't mean icons. Things in the start menu that changed in the latest build was for the worse.

There's a disclaimer in the beta to expect some steps forward/backwards in newer builds.

Been there since forever.

Chichikov

Fuck Windows 7, 8.1 is GOAT.

No way I'm upgrading to this garbage if they don't fix the icons, simple as that.

Why is someone getting paid to make an icon of a floppy disk in 2015?
Can't tell if you're serious, but you do realize you can change the icons, right?
I'll bet you anything that there will be 8.1 (and pretty much any other version) icon packs for windows 10 on release.

JaggedSac

Those icons are garbage. I was pretty sure they were temp ones, but now I'm concerned. It's like they just asked the Visio guys to give them all their images.

Ghazi

http://t.co/Rs0ULk0qE7

Latest icons. People get paid for this.

giphy.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The last day of summer on the calendar is September 22nd so it still could be a ways off.
They ever going to have live tiles on the start (windows) button? I mean it's somewhat there, but not what I expect. Besides that, I'm loving windows 10.
? There are live tiles in the start menu. I want live tiles on the desktop though.

not over that. i just prefer it for gaming since it has superior compatibility and a better interface.
The release to market version of 10 isn't even out yet. How can you come to the conclusion compatibly will be any better/worse at this point? We're still on a tech preview stage. There's still a little way to go.

The release to market version of 10 isn't even out yet. How can you come to the conclusion compatibly will be any better/worse at this point? We're still on a tech preview stage. There's still a little way to go.
You really think they will have better compatibility? it has the same issues w8 had now literally.we will see i guess.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I wonder if this is China only. non-geniune able to upgrade.
Terry Myerson, who runs Microsoft's operating systems unit, announced the plan at the WinHEC technology conference in Shenzhen, China.

"We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," he said in a telephone interview with Reuters. The plan is to "re-engage" with the hundreds of millions of users of Windows in China, he said, without elaboration.
http://in.mobile.reuters.com/article/idINKBN0ME09F20150318?irpc=932

You really think they will have better compatibility? it has the same issues w8 had now literally.we will see i guess.
Well, I suppose compatibility issues will occur between versions regardless. If you feel staying in 7 benefits you the most then that works too. But this is pretty normal for PC gamers to have trouble in newer versions.

Is there no way to fine tune brightness with a SP2? They removed the slider in the display settings, and clicking the brightness display icon in the notifications bar just takes you to the same metro app.

Human_me

So this free upgrade is not a complete install? As in can't start from scratch?

I think your be able to upgrade to windows 10, Then using windows 10 settings reformat everything apart from the windows 10 installation (Like how Windows 8.1 does it).

However if you have a brand new hdd and computer and want to install windows 10 on it.
Then you need to install windows 7/8/8.1 then upgrade to windows 10.

That's my understanding of it, they are only offering an "upgrade" to windows 10, not the complete install with a disc/usb.

This might be big: Even pirated versions of Win 7-8 will be freely upgraded to Win10.

Other news drops:

- Control Panel will be gone in time, the goal is for the Settings app replace it.

- Microsoft will have a special win10 rom that can be flashed into Android devices. The final user will be able to flash their devices, but apparently they are also talking to manufacturers so they can create a single device that's able to run Android and WP.

- Lenovo will develop Win10 Phones

Majine

Banned
I must be in a minority, but I actually like the icons. There is something wonderfully weird about them.

I don't use Windows tho, so I might not get the full context of their usage.

Bit-Bit

I'm currently waiting on the Surface Pro 4 to be announced. I really want to upgrade my Surface Pro 1 so bad but at this point, I might as well wait to see what the 4 has to offer.

Human_me

- Microsoft will have a special win10 rom that can be flashed into Android devices. The final user will be able to flash their devices, but apparently they are also talking to manufacturers so they can create a single device that's able to run Android and WP.
Awesome if true/happens.

Top Bottom