• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

kaskade

Man, I'm tempted to try out windows 10 but won't I have to install a fresh copy when retail comes out? Also, it's my gaming rig and I should probably wait until it's more stable so my stuff works properly.

Time to update.

You don't want that.

Man, I'm tempted to try out windows 10 but won't I have to install a fresh copy when retail comes out? Also, it's my gaming rig and I should probably wait until it's more stable so my stuff works properly.

I think it was confirmed that you can upgrade from the current builds all the way up to the RTM. It's not like there's going to be a "final" build, so to speak.

Looking forward to finally having a new build, but it doesn't look like there's much new user-facing stuff in this one. No Spartan, no mention of versions of any of their new Universal Apps (other than updates to the new Photos app).

With builds supposedly coming faster now, hopefully we'll start to see some of this stuff in Insider builds in the near future.

Whogie

New update broke the Mail app for me. Windows Store won't reinstall it (0x80073cff). Darn.

And Places seems to still be uncustomizable. Local Documents is useless, since programs just dump save files there. I want to replace it with some Libraries.

New update broke the Mail app for me. Windows Store won't reinstall it (0x80073cff). Darn.
It's one of the known issues. They provide a work around in the blog post.

In this build, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

Open powershell as administrator
Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Melon Husk

I can live with those icons apart from the folders, those are still too flat. And why change "Favorites" to a zany "Quick Access" with lightning icon?

I can live with those icons apart from the folders, those are still too flat. And why change "Favorites" to a zany "Quick Access" with lightning icon?

It makes a little more sense to me, at least conceptually. My Downloads folder is a disorganized mess that I've been putting off reorganizing, so it's not my favorite, but I do need to be able to get to it quickly.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Apart from the aliasing (which I assume would be ironed out before the designs are finalised) they look good enough for me. At this point I'm just glad we're getting something new.

DagsJT

Updated to the latest build, had my first W10 crash a couple of hours later since I started using it a couple of months ago. :D

The icons are an improvement, but I'm still not sold on them. Maybe it's the perspective not suiting the flat design ethos?
I like the recycle but i think the my computer icon can be improved. Kind of cool the keyboard is back on the computer icon. Has not been there since windows 98.

7699o9I.jpg

Lucius86

Banned
I like the recycle but i think the my computer icon can be improved. Kind of cool the keyboard is back on the computer icon. Has not been there since windows 98.

I agree. It looks like the screen is skewed somehow. I also think the Windows icon for the hard drive is too big as well.

Why not have an enlarged icon of the mini icons on the left of the explorer window? Keeps with the flat metro theme idea, but it allows more detail to the icon that a traditional desktop user would expect.

jstripes

Banned
Looks like they removed the Rollback feature in the new build.

So, if you wanna go back to your previous OS... you're now outta luck.

Looks like they removed the Rollback feature in the new build.

So, if you wanna go back to your previous OS... you're now outta luck.

They addressed it on the blog post, that was not supposed to appear on the boot time, you can uninstall (from the control panel I presume).

clav

Successful installation.

People are going to complain about the icons. :lol

Like the lock screen and start menu transparency.

dLMN8R

Just FYI I think the transparency has a bug where, in certain color themes, it's way too transparent making it very difficult to read anything.

I have a 3-4 year old laptop (i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, Nvidia 540m), and I havent even formated it once, I was expecting to upgrade to windows 8, but after trying it out on my brothers computer, I didnt enjoy it.

Should I upgrade it now (is it even possible to upgrade it now ?!), I ask this, because I think i will have to format it soon, to give it a general cleaning...its too slow/clunky/cluttered with stuff.

clav

I have a 3-4 year old laptop (i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, Nvidia 540m), and I havent even formated it once, I was expecting to upgrade to windows 8, but after trying it out on my brothers computer, I didnt enjoy it.

Should I upgrade it now (is it even possible to upgrade it now ?!), I ask this, because I think i will have to format it soon, to give it a general cleaning...its too slow/clunky/cluttered with stuff.

Does the laptop have a SSD?

once this officially releases when you update your windows do you have to erase everything on your PC or does it just update automatically with everything still there?

like do i have to install drives again and things like that?

(not a techsavvy person)

You don't want it yet

:)-P)
Hush you!
once this officially releases when you update your windows do you have to erase everything on your PC or does it just update automatically with everything still there?

(not a techsavvy person)
It'll update your system, you'll keep all your applications, files, etc. (there will probably be new Windows 10 specific driver versions for your hardware to install though)

DarkFlow

Banned

(not a techsavvy person)

I actually just updated from 8.1 to 10 using system update and it worked super smooth. Everything works, didn't have to re-install anything.

Top Bottom