• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Worth it to update to the technical preview yet or is it sort of a mess if you just want a functional OS? I read that GPU drivers and such work just fine since it takes Windows 8 drivers without issue so that's not a problem at least.

linkboy

Worth it to update to the technical preview yet or is it sort of a mess if you just want a functional OS? I read that GPU drivers and such work just fine since it takes Windows 8 drivers without issue so that's not a problem at least.

The only issue I've had is the realtec audio drivers don't work yet and I get a loud grating sound anytime a notification pops up.

Its fixable by switching to the generic MS audio driver.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The only issue I've had is the realtec audio drivers don't work yet and I get a loud grating sound anytime a notification pops up.

Its fixable by switching to the generic MS audio driver.

Well that sounds like a hassle, I have a Realtek onboard sound card too

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason the work around to get the mail app back doesn't work for me, Get a store error when I install.

Edit: Figured it out. I had previously went into Storage Sense and set it to install new apps to the SD card and I guess it didn't like that. After I switched it back it installed fine.

Just FYI I think the transparency has a bug where, in certain color themes, it's way too transparent making it very difficult to read anything.

Hmm. I'll have to mess around with the colors to see if it occurs.

I am glad to see that they fixed the program peek text for a black colored taskbar. Last build it was black text on a black background. Now it is white text. Yay.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
With Pro 1, the start screen is more responsive. Previously I would go to scroll and it would move a tile instead. Also I like setting it so it auto switches between desktop and tablet mode.

I'm still downloading (and murdering my data plan :( ) but if someone could please do tell me: When you exit Tablet mode, does the system now remembers the state the window was before you entered it, or it still assumes every windows was not maximized and return to that state? Or at least keep them maximized, so you can manage that your own?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still downloading (and murdering my data plan :( ) but if someone could please do tell me: When you exit Tablet mode, does the system now remembers the state the window was before you entered it, or it still assumes every windows was not maximized and return to that state? Or at least keep them maximized, so you can manage that your own?

I just did a test and it did remember the window sizes going back and forth. I encountered some bug in switching modes, but it is getting better.

I'm liking the start screen for the most part, but it still seems like they need to adjust the list along the left side.

dLMN8R

I just did a test and it did remember the window sizes going back and forth. I encountered some bug in switching modes, but it is getting better.

I'm liking the start screen for the most part, but it still seems like they need to adjust the list along the left side.

Yes, still not quite perfect yet but rest assured exiting tablet mode remembering what you were doing before tablet mode will be fixed soon.

That's awesome! So glad to see this fixed.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
once this officially releases when you update your windows do you have to erase everything on your PC or does it just update automatically with everything still there?

like do i have to install drives again and things like that?

(not a techsavvy person)
If you are not tech savvy I would recommend you to wait until the OS is released, but I think their plan is to allow the technical preview to upgrade easily to the final version.

Now you do!

Hm.

Wooo new build.
Right clicking cortana crashed my computer lol

Pretty buggy build so far.

Updated to the latest build, had my first W10 crash a couple of hours later since I started using it a couple of months ago. :D

New update broke the Mail app for me. Windows Store won't reinstall it (0x80073cff). Darn.

And Places seems to still be uncustomizable. Local Documents is useless, since programs just dump save files there. I want to replace it with some Libraries.

Looks like they removed the Rollback feature in the new build.

So, if you wanna go back to your previous OS... you're now outta luck.

My update failed during installation and now windows update shows no new updates....

Love it, my update failed, it dropped back to the previous version and now is telling me I'm up to date.

For some reason the work around to get the mail app back doesn't work for me, Get a store error when I install.

Edit: Figured it out. I had previously went into Storage Sense and set it to install new apps to the SD card and I guess it didn't like that. After I switched it back it installed fine.

X84VX4m.gif

Vashetti

Banned
Will my mum be able to upgrade from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit?

Or does Windows 10 only exist in 64-bit anyway?

Reason I ask is because my mum's laptop has 4GB of RAM in it, but Windows only recognises 3GB because of the 32-bit OS.

I was hoping the free Windows 10 upgrade would give her laptop a new lease of life because it would recognise the extra 1GB of RAM, plus the benefits that come with 64-bit.

spwolf

Yes, still not quite perfect yet but rest assured exiting tablet mode remembering what you were doing before tablet mode will be fixed soon.

most annoying thing for me in Tablet mode was that they removed icons from the taskbar... so stupid.

Zeknurn

Will my mum be able to upgrade from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit?

Or does Windows 10 only exist in 64-bit anyway?

Reason I ask is because my mum's laptop has 4GB of RAM in it, but Windows only recognises 3GB because of the 32-bit OS.

I was hoping the free Windows 10 upgrade would give her laptop a new lease of life because it would recognise the extra 1GB of RAM, plus the benefits that come with 64-bit.

You cannot upgrade an existing 32-bit install of Windows to 64-bit or vice versa. A fresh install is needed.

Vashetti

Banned
You cannot upgrade an existing 32-bit install of Windows to 64-bit or vice versa. A fresh install is needed.

I'm aware of the fresh install thing, I worded my question wrong I guess.

Will she be eligible to get the 64-bit Windows 10, despite being on the 32-bit Windows 7, or will she be locked to receiving 32-bit Windows 10 only?

kharma45

I'm aware of the fresh install thing, I worded my question wrong I guess.

Will she be eligible to get the 64-bit Windows 10, despite being on the 32-bit Windows 7, or will she be locked to receiving 32-bit Windows 10 only?

A W7 license key gives you access to both 32-bit and 64-bit. You could clean install to 64-bit W7 and upgrade from there to 64-bit W10.

linkboy

Well that sounds like a hassle, I have a Realtek onboard sound card too

Not really.

My computer updated while I was at work and all I had to do was uninstall the Realtek driver and restart and Windows switched over to the default drivers and every thing is working fine.

Literally took like 5 minutes.

Zeknurn

A W7 license key gives you access to both 32-bit and 64-bit. You could clean install to 64-bit W7 and upgrade from there to 64-bit W10.

Yeah, this is probably your best bet as Microsoft is probably expecting a vast majority of people to take part of the upgrade offer via Windows Update and not use install media for a fresh install. But if they're smart(haha) they will offer that option as well.

nubbe

Modern computers don't have a sticker.

The license is in the BIOS, you should able to just install Windows and it will be licensed

Vashetti

Banned
Modern computers don't have a sticker.

The license is in the BIOS, you should able to just install Windows and it will be licensed

It's a Dell Vostro 3500 from 2010.

There's a sticker on the bottom that says:

Service Tag: [numbers], Express Service Code: [numbers]

Road

Spent some time with the new build. The icons, people weren't kidding...

Did they seriously spent the past two months just drawing those ugly icons? (No, I don't care about stability updates =P). Nothing has been fixed on the interface.

This shouldn't take more than 1 minute:

10041-windowbuttonsozu4o.png

Also this:

10041-cancelsearchp1u7o.png

And it seems Microsoft is still ignoring mouse/keyboard users. With Modern apps, you can't search a list box by typing the word (if you don't know what I mean, open windows+r and type "control international", go to "location", click on the country list and type a country name).

That search separate but integrated with the Start menu is still a mess. Just give me the Windows 7 search back. I don't want to use fucking Bing. And there's still no proper context menu there.

Does Microsoft really intend to release W10 in 2015 at all? I guess they can go for the AAA game release model (ship broken product -> patch hoping to fix it)

Windows 10 will not ship with a final version, followed by a service pack and then Windows 11 three years later. They'll ship whatever they can include, fix and polish by summer and then continue to ship updates and features afterwards. That's their definition of "Windows as a service". It follows more the Valve model than you're typical AAA game model. Also, icons are still placeholders and UI fixes are the last part, prior to shipping. That said, they better hurry up, because there's a lot of UI that needs to be fixed.

trinest

Spent some time with the new build. The icons, people weren't kidding...

Did they seriously spent the past two months just drawing those ugly icons? (No, I don't care about stability updates =P). Nothing has been fixed on the interface.

This shouldn't take more than 1 minute:

10041-windowbuttonsozu4o.png

Also this:

10041-cancelsearchp1u7o.png

And it seems Microsoft is still ignoring mouse/keyboard users. With Modern apps, you can't search a list box by typing the word (if you don't know what I mean, open windows+r and type "control international", go to "location", click on the country list and type a country name).

That search separate but integrated with the Start menu is still a mess. Just give me the Windows 7 search back. I don't want to use fucking Bing. And there's still no proper context menu there.

Does Microsoft really intend to release W10 in 2015 at all? I guess they can go for the AAA game release model (ship broken product -> patch hoping to fix it)

Mine are the same size at least :|

Top Bottom