• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

belvedere

Junior Butler
Wow, the latest build really f'd tings up for me. Mail, calendar and people is missing and it fails when trying to reinstall. Also, I can't seem to access the properties page of any network adapters. It just throws an unexpected error code.

dLMN8R

Hm.
X84VX4m.gif

Just imagine what it was like when I was saying you didn't want it yet :)

This shouldn't take more than 1 minute:

10041-windowbuttonsozu4o.png

Also this:

10041-cancelsearchp1u7o.png

Sure, you could "fix" that in one minute, but then you'd instantly break tens or hundreds of thousands of applications that do weird shit with window chrome.

There are improvements coming to make modern app chrome more consistent with win32 app chrome, but it's anything but simple. If you make modern apps chrome smaller to make it consistent with Win32, then it's less touch friendly. If you go the other way you make major breaks with back compat of applications millions of people use that would likely never be updated.

What you're suggesting is obviously the first thing the shell team tried, and then rethought plans when they discovered the consequences.

I had 10036 and it didn't kill my puppy. The broken mail/people/calendar app broke the entire start menu to the point where it wouldn't work at all, but that didn't bother me one bit. There was a workaround, I applied it and everything was fine afterwards. I saw Cortana without make up, but I wasn't horrified. The new login screen hated me as well (probably because I enabled it already on 9926), but whatever. Haters gonna hate. I still got it to work.

I know things between you and 10036 got personal, but I stand by my rant. Telling others that they don't want something like that, even if you have no idea about the environment it's used in, is pretty condescending.

dLMN8R

I had 10036 and it didn't kill my puppy. The broken mail/people/calendar app broke the entire start menu to the point where it wouldn't work at all, but that didn't bother me one bit. There was a workaround, I applied it and everything was fine afterwards. I saw Cortana without make up, but I wasn't horrified. The new login screen hated me as well (probably because I enabled it already on 9926), but whatever. Haters gonna hate. I still got it to work.

I know things between you and 10036 got personal, but I stand by my rant. Telling others that they don't want something like that, even if you have no idea about the environment it's used in, is pretty condescending.

I was actually wrong about 10036, it was 10026 that was a disaster. I'm talking bricked machines. Impossible to log in without doing a clean install. Consistent - for everyone. Desktop completely unstable and crashing all the time. Near-100% CPU use because of out of control background processes when you did manage to reach the desktop.

The entire build (and multiple others close to it) were pulled and alerts sent to the entire group because people were losing days of work to it. Imagine how expensive that was for the company.

So, sorry if it sounds condescending, but it's the truth (other than the fact that I had the wrong build number).

Sure, you could "fix" that in one minute, but then you'd instantly break tens or hundreds of thousands of applications that do weird shit with window chrome.

There are improvements coming to make modern app chrome more consistent with win32 app chrome, but it's anything but simple. If you make modern apps chrome smaller to make it consistent with Win32, then it's less touch friendly. If you go the other way you make major breaks with back compat of applications millions of people use that would likely never be updated.

What you're suggesting is obviously the first thing the shell team tried, and then rethought plans when they discovered the consequences.

I assume there is some sort of a solution planned for RTM?

Vashetti

Banned
If you still have the computer with Windows 7 Installed on it, get Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder. You can then grab the key out of the registry

Wow, this is awesome. You're a lifesaver.

How do I go about backing up her stuff?

It's not a huge amount. Probably less than 20GB. Photos I can just drag onto a USB.

How would I back up her emails and internet bookmarks? Could I just sign in with her email details on the new OS installation and all her messages would still be there (after downloading them)?

Sorry for all the questions, I've been a Mac user the past few years and have forgotten lots of Windows stuff. I just want to surprise my mum by potentially making her laptop run better.

What about this?

In desktop mode make modern apps chrome smaller as you are using it with mouse and keyboard, so there's no need for the bigger buttons.

In tablet mode, since the apps always run in fullscreen, and you don't need the chrome to resize/move/close the window, remove it altogether from both modern and desktop apps, and swiping from the top would bring a touch friendly overlay to close/minimize the app (and that way you can even get rid of the restore button which is useless in tablet mode, as the windows always stay full screen).

Even if the apps doesn't use the default chrome that wouldn't break the app, you could maximize it and then show the overlay on top (hardly the most pleasing looking solution, but it would work).

Apps/dialogs with fixed window size would also work with that, you can keep it centered in the screen, keeping the size as big as it allows, and them swiping up could still bring the overlay in the area reserved for the window even if it doesn't fully occupy it.

dLMN8R

Yes, like I said, there are absolutely improvements in the works to make them more consistent, but I'm not on that team so I'm not sure what they specifically are.

But what I do know is that resizing chrome in the middle of a user session is hugely problematic. And removing chrome is a complete no-go since it would cause just as many compat problems as resizing what's there.

Zeknurn

You know, forcing people to automatically install updates is fine and all until you let Nvidia to push their broken as hell beta drivers. After uninstalling them I had to change the group policy for Windows Update to prevent them from automatically installing as soon as I logged onto Windows.

Everything seems to be stable now.

I was actually wrong about 10036, it was 10026 that was a disaster. I'm talking bricked machines. Impossible to log in without doing a clean install. Consistent - for everyone. Desktop completely unstable and crashing all the time. Near-100% CPU use because of out of control background processes when you did manage to reach the desktop.

The entire build (and multiple others close to it) were pulled and alerts sent to the entire group because people were losing days of work to it. Imagine how expensive that was for the company.

So, sorry if it sounds condescending, but it's the truth (other than the fact that I had the wrong build number).

Yeah, that build was fun.

I liked my team: Hey guys, lets self host our branch on a dev box. First build after that Hyper-V is broken. If you're a phone dev.....ouch....time to rollback and cut your losses at one lost day of productivity :)

linkboy

You know, forcing people to automatically install updates is fine and all until you let Nvidia to push their broken as hell beta drivers. After uninstalling them I had to change the group policy for Windows Update to prevent them from automatically installing as soon as I logged onto Windows.

Everything seems to be stable now.

Same thing happens with me and the damn realtek drivers.

dLMN8R

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that in 10026 there was a 100% repro bug where if you used it on a Surface Pro 3 and your screen happened to turn off, it would never turn back on again. So like....never stop using your SP3 for more than 10 minutes at a time! Only way to recover would be to hold the power button for 15 seconds to force it off and reboot from scratch.

So yeah. Fun.

turns out no one at M$ actually works. Every piece of code is given to the company when they input a set of numbers into a terminal that some wise old sage gave to BillG. Everyone knows the numbers.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Any bug is actually someone inputting a wrong number :(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
turns out no one at M$ actually works. Every piece of code is given to the company when they input a set of numbers into a terminal that some wise old sage gave to BillG. Everyone knows the numbers.

4 8 15 16 23 42

At MS who is Locke and who is the smoke monster? WP team are the Others.

clav

4 8 15 16 23 42

Windows RNG game confirmed.

Jzero

I'm glad they're going to release builds in a faster fashion i'm getting daily lockups on the latest build.

4 8 15 16 23 42

I can't believe it - someone who still abbreviates Microsoft as M$.

Guri

Hey guys, if you don't mind me asking, do any of you have Fallout 3 or New Vegas and know if they run on Windows 10? Just curious because I will need to upgrade my PC to run them (lots of frame drops with my AMD 7970, so I'll change to nVidia), but I'm only planning to do that next year and I will probably have Windows 10 by then.

t-ramp

I only played for like 2 minutes before uninstalling it, but New Vegas ran fine here on Windows 10. AMD card, too, for what it's worth.

Ape

Banned
Why are people asking if there's game compatibility issues with W10? Is that normal for a pre release windows os?

jstripes

Banned
Why are people asking if there's game compatibility issues with W10? Is that normal for a pre release windows os?

The more issues are spotted before release, the better chances of those issues being fixed before or soon after release.

Guri

I only played for like 2 minutes before uninstalling it, but New Vegas ran fine here on Windows 10. AMD card, too, for what it's worth.

Thanks! The frame drops happened on Fallout 3 and in the Wasteland.

There's also another thing: Windows 10 jumps from Kernel 6.x (the same since Vista) to 10, which might create compatibility issues for softwares that check the Kernel up to a point.

There's also another thing: Windows 10 jumps from Kernel 6.x (the same since Vista) to 10, which might create compatibility issues for softwares that check the Kernel up to a point.

It won't create compatibility issues because it only reports 10 as the kernel version for apps that declare win10 support.

Zeknurn

Share yr secrets, plz. Which drivers did you uninstall and what did you replace them with?

They're called 349.90 and they installed themselves automatically from Windows Update when I updated to the current build. I uninstalled them, used driversweeper to clear them out completely and then I installed the latest drivers available on Nvidia's website, 347.88. The faulty drivers have yet to show up in Windows Update again.

I lost my Laptop's W7 Sticker and since it's my work laptop, I had to install a different OS (and had to format my Windows Drive). I can't remember if I wrote my key somewhere, but, if I can't find it, I'll have to buy a new key...

n64coder

I mean, the error codes they give you exist for a reason......no one can help you without any more detail.

I'm trying to run Windows update (I'm on build 9926) and the error I get is:

0x80240016

Doing a bing search, I found this link. Something about needing to restart the Windows Update Service.

I just did a reboot and now Windows Update is working. I guess my laptop was in sleep/hibernate mode or something before.

Top Bottom