• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
is anyone getting a message on the bottom right corner of the browser saying "Activate windows go to pc settings to activate windows" i tried and it says windows can't activate. try again later.

Is anyone getting broken apps too? Some apps just refuse to open, even after reinstalling them...

Some already didn't on previews builds, but now with 10041 the list increased, so I'm wondering if that's something on my end making them corrupted or something.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Is anyone getting broken apps too? Some apps just refuse to open, even after reinstalling them...

Some already didn't on previews builds, but now with 10041 the list increased, so I'm wondering if that's something on my end making them corrupted or something.

Yes. Same here.

Jzero

I replaced the beta Nvidia 349.00 driver that Microsoft provides with the stable 347.88 driver. Let's see if that helps.

clav

Nvidia driver (whatever came stock with the latest build) fried a graphics card here on an old PC.

PC boots with three beeps: VRAM fried.

Going to write a report.

edit: I can't resume the PC from a fast shut down either. Windows loads and then pauses at a black screen.

no maam

Banned
I had my computer idle for 15 min, came back to "installing windows 10 technical preview" and it's sitting at 3%. I'm confused.

dLMN8R

Yep, the current preview build behavior is that it'll just start if it detects inactivity. If you were at the computer it would've asked you if you want to do it now or postpone it.

It'll be improved for future builds.

link1201

My tweetinum app is busted. I also see some weird text on Mail and calendar apps. Also I see a NVidia update that won't complete for some reason

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
My tweetinum app is busted. I also see some some weird text on Mail and calender apps.

One of the games I bought on my tablet (Hill Climb Racing) doesn't even start.

How do you (if you can) place Windows Store app shortcuts on the desktop?

I just noticed that VLC (which is now an universal app), can launch either maximized (when you open the app directly) or in full screen mode, and switches between then as well when you start or stop watching a video...

I kinda like this approach, some apps obviously need to be able to run in full screen, but having the taskbar showing adds more functionality (specially if they put a back button in it, like it appeared in some videos)... If the app has a chance of handling it gracefully like VLC is suggesting, so you don't have to go in/out of full screen manually all the time it should be great to use with touch.

I like that when clicking the network icon it brings up an interface similar to w7 instead of a window. I noticed the windows start icon got smaller,i prefer the previous size, all the icons on the taskbar remain smaller and i thought they looked better before. Also i find it weird they still don't give you the option to have the taskbar opaque or transparent. I really hope they don't leave it out like they did for w8.

FyreWulff

Got updated to the latest preview build. Lost audio. The fix was to increase the driver install timeout, but since Win10TechPreview seems to lack Group Policy Edit I had to go find a registry file to change the timeout. Have audio now.

I like how the search box actually works now in 10041. Last build I could click on the search box but it wouldn't let me type or anything. always had to press win key to make it actually work

dLMN8R

Enjoy guys :)

Still pretty rough for now, but it's at the stage where quality is quickly improving every build, and new features are being introduced all the time.

dLMN8R

can I try spartan without windows 10?

Spartan is inextricably tied to the new Universal Application model and APIs which are not and will never be back-ported to any other operating system. It requires Windows 10 on every platform it will release on.

Currently running Spartan through a series of webpages to see what works and what doesn't. Only problem I've had so far is Twitch. Runs well for something that is still a bit rough.

That'd be really neat if it only used uap apis (though it might do the same thing as windowsrt browser with the browser only capabilities). I've got no clue what's going on in project Spartan land

Currently running Spartan through a series of webpages to see what works and what doesn't. Only problem I've had so far is Twitch. Runs well for something that is still a bit rough.

I'm on spartan and twitch has been fine for me, though I've been just watching one stream for a while now. What parts of twitch aren't working?

Condom

I'm on spartan and twitch has been fine for me, though I've been just watching one stream for a while now. What parts of twitch aren't working?

Searching/browsing streams causes it to load forever. EDIT: It only does this some of the time

Impressed by the speed and the address bar in Spartan, this can become something really cool in the future.

SFenton

Yup, I thought everyone in this thread knew that :p

Man, I wonder how many Microsoft people are on this board. I bet a lot just don't choose to reveal (mostly for good reason).

Anyways, I've been using it, already submitted feedback. For some reason, it feels a little plain in looks to me, but that's obviously not what matters.

1) Would love the ability to set multiple web pages to open with. Right now it looks like there's only one openable site at boot.

2) I'd like to still be able to click links (and therefore close settings) while Settings is open. It feels unnatural to have to close the settings menu before I can interact with a webpage again.

I also didn't submit feedback for this, but GMail's tab text doesn't update appropriately for me when I check a message. Have to refresh. Twitter and Facebook seem to be doing fine.

On YouTube, I tested a video I uploaded recently:

Yes - Roundabout (BandFuse)

480p 30 FPS playback seems to work fine, but I'm having major graphical issues on 720P/60 and 1080P/60 playback- it will freeze while audio plays, then catch up, and inevitably freeze again. It appears to only be a 60 FPS issue, as 720p/30 seems to play just fine for me.

EDIT: Hot *damn* Spartan is smooth with the .gifs. Reddit browsing ain't never been so good.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Man, I wonder how many Microsoft people are on this board. I bet a lot just don't choose to reveal (mostly for good reason).

I am sure there are quite a few of us here but what's the point of advertising it when the expressed opinion has nothing to do with who we work for?

Back then when I used to post a lot more, I typically used to mention something like "BTW, I work for Microsoft but not xbox division" when it was necessary for people to know my bias.

Microsoft policy requires that if we go online and say something that can be interpreted as commenting on a Microsoft product, we do not hide our affiliation. But saying it in every post is not necessary.

clav

Spartan says IE11.

VUIcoRU.png

Spartan has crashed randomly a couple times, once when trying to make it go full screen, and once when opening a new tab and trying to go to a frequently visited site. Otherwise smooth sailing so far.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Spartan is suppose to be adding some form of extension-like support, isn't it? Wonder when we can expect major ones to port over if that is the case.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Spartan is suppose to be adding some form of extension-like support, isn't it? Wonder when we can expect major ones to port over if that is the case.

Without addon support it'll be dead in the water, so let's hope so.

SFenton

I am sure there are quite a few of us here but what's the point of advertising it when the expressed opinion has nothing to do with who we work for?

Back then when I used to post a lot more, I typically used to mention something like "BTW, I work for Microsoft but not xbox division" when it was necessary for people to know my bias.

Microsoft policy requires that if we go online and say something that can be interpreted as commenting on a Microsoft product, we do not hide our affiliation. But saying it in every post is not necessary.

Interesting policy, I was never aware of that.

Top Bottom