• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

dLMN8R

What does your GAF user name stand for?
I've had this name for probably 15 years...long before I worked for Microsoft. It's just a dumb license plate thing, the eliminator. Lame teenager "humor" that I'm basically stuck with now :p

Man, I wonder how many Microsoft people are on this board. I bet a lot just don't choose to reveal (mostly for good reason).

Anyways, I've been using it, already submitted feedback. For some reason, it feels a little plain in looks to me, but that's obviously not what matters.

1) Would love the ability to set multiple web pages to open with. Right now it looks like there's only one openable site at boot.

2) I'd like to still be able to click links (and therefore close settings) while Settings is open. It feels unnatural to have to close the settings menu before I can interact with a webpage again.

I also didn't submit feedback for this, but GMail's tab text doesn't update appropriately for me when I check a message. Have to refresh. Twitter and Facebook seem to be doing fine.

On YouTube, I tested a video I uploaded recently:

Yes - Roundabout (BandFuse)

480p 30 FPS playback seems to work fine, but I'm having major graphical issues on 720P/60 and 1080P/60 playback- it will freeze while audio plays, then catch up, and inevitably freeze again. It appears to only be a 60 FPS issue, as 720p/30 seems to play just fine for me.

EDIT: Hot *damn* Spartan is smooth with the .gifs. Reddit browsing ain't never been so good.
All good feedback. Lots of the quirks you see around window focus, needing extra clicks, etc. are known issues and have already been fixed in newer builds or will be fixed soon.

But definitely file feedback using the feedback app whenever you thinking of something. The teams truly do use all of it

I am sure there are quite a few of us here but what's the point of advertising it when the expressed opinion has nothing to do with who we work for?

Back then when I used to post a lot more, I typically used to mention something like "BTW, I work for Microsoft but not xbox division" when it was necessary for people to know my bias.

Microsoft policy requires that if we go online and say something that can be interpreted as commenting on a Microsoft product, we do not hide our affiliation. But saying it in every post is not necessary.
Interesting policy, I was never aware of that.
I usually disclose my employment whenever I'm sharing an opinion about something Microsoft created, especially if it's a positive opinion (like my Surface Pro 3 impressions I shared a while ago). The only time I don't is when it's obviously irrelevant or because I've done it so frequently it gets obnoxious.

But yes it's an employee policy to not hide your employment, rather the opposite is true, because we know how damaging astroturfing can be if it's discovered. Not that Microsoft does or doesn't intentionally astroturf elsewhere, I have no idea if any "official" campaigns exist. But I have seen cases where....."enterprising" marketing contractors try it, get caught, and get immediately scolded because the bad PR that ensues is so obviously more damaging than it might ever be financially beneficial.

Most of us are just nerds like any of you who get excited about tech, and some get a little carried away.

Can you pass this information to the team regarding PC gaming and issues on W10?

https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...he-frame-rate-issue-that-has-been-in-since-wi

Like I mentioned, submit feedback via the Feedback App. User Voice is also another venue everyone pays attention to, but everyone has to prioritize and focus on the biggest hitters. In this case I've heard of no such issues like this and no one's voting for yours, so not sure if it's a widespread issue or isolated to your specific hardware / software combo.

Suggestion: Instead of making your own, look for someone else's User Voice submission and up-vote that one instead if you can find it.

Like I mentioned, submit feedback via the Feedback App. User Voice is also another venue everyone pays attention to, but everyone has to prioritize and focus on the biggest hitters. In this case I've heard of no such issues like this and no one's voting for yours, so not sure if it's a widespread issue or isolated to your specific hardware / software combo.

Suggestion: Instead of making your own, look for someone else's User Voice submission and up-vote that one instead if you can find it.
Yea it seems that it's widespread. A link was posted in that users voice suggestion i linked where many have similar issues. It was originally an issue in windows 8 with the W10 preview so far having similar issues. I did find someone elses user voice submissions where its kind of similar so i voted for that and its top 3 in the gaming section.

clav

Notice the Stream Xbox One function in the Xbox app.

Spartan browser doesn't search for things when I open a new tab.

Already submitted feedback.

dLMN8R, is anyone ever going to fix the "window titlebar text not changing colors against a dark window border color" issue?

I figure after two OS revisions someone would have caught that by now but it's still not working without outside hacks, even on the new build.

Milpool

Anyone else getting really ugly font rendering in both IE and Spartan? It's been ugly in IE since I first started using Windows 10, I was hoping Spartan wouldn't follow suit.

Hi folks, is it worth putting 10 on my Surface Pro 2 or PC yet? I really want to try out the whole streaming Xbox games app, if it's functional.

Milpool

Check graphics drivers and cleartype settings.

Already tried a few different driver versions and checked nvidia control panel for any settings interfering with IE and Spartan. Cleartype settings no longer affect IE, and disabling hardware acceleration doesn't fix it.

Already tried a few different driver versions and checked nvidia control panel for any settings interfering with IE and Spartan. Cleartype settings no longer affect IE, and disabling hardware acceleration doesn't fix it.

Microsoft switched to using ugly greyscale rendering since Cleartype doesn't play nicely with certain displays. It's horrible and they've refused to do anything about. According to them, there is absolutely no issue.

M3d10n

I don't know if it does anything that other UAPs can't do. I'm just saying that it depends on Windows 10 APIs which don't exist and will never exist on older OS's.

It most certainly needs to generate executable code on the fly for Javascript JIT, which I doubt UAPs are allowed to do, right?

My PC just updated itself - I turned it on, came back a few minutes later and it was telling me how much I would enjoy the new version - and now when I right click on a drive in explorer, explorer crashes. Boo.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Okay, so apparently my front USB ports are non-existent thanks to this update. Right.

Edit: Re-installed Etron drivers and now back top USB3 ports aren't working. Computers.

Falcs

Banned
I don't know if this is already known, but is the Start Screen going away completely in the final build?? So far I've been able to re-enable it via the registry but with the latest build I can't seem to anymore!! :(((

I don't know if this is already known, but is the Start Screen going away completely in the final build?? So far I've been able to re-enable it via the registry but with the latest build I can't seem to anymore!! :(((

The old start screen is dead, as far as I know.

I think the start menu fully expanded to cover the entire screen is the target design.

Falcs

Banned
Damn it. I hate the new Start Menu. I appreciate that Microsoft has listened to what the people have demanded and brought it back, but I am actually disappointed at the same time because I could see the direction MS was going in with Windows 8/8.1 with the Start Screen and I think it was so much better. And yes I'm talking about using the Start Screen on a DESKTOP PC as well, not just a touch screen.

I hate the vertical Places/Most Used/All Apps lists on the Start Menu. It's a complete mess which very little allowance of customization and just takes up space on my start
screen/menu that I would rather organize with my own tiles of my own choice.

Is there any way to remove the all those lists altogether and use that space for tiles?

When I do a google image search in spartan, it doesn't load pictures after the first maybe 50-100 pictures. Anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

clav

When I do a google image search in spartan, it doesn't load pictures after the first maybe 50-100 pictures. Anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Loads fine here although the browser pulls a lot of CPU resources, so it stutters a lot.

The experience reminds me of Google's early Chrome builds.

Mr_Zombie

Damn it. I hate the new Start Menu. I appreciate that Microsoft has listened to what the people have demanded and brought it back, but I am actually disappointed at the same time because I could see the direction MS was going in with Windows 8/8.1 with the Start Screen and I think it was so much better. And yes I'm talking about using the Start Screen on a DESKTOP PC as well, not just a touch screen.

Same here. The combination of taskbar shortcuts (most used programs) + start screen (widgets and programs that I use but not so often) were great for me. The only thing I would change would be the search function, so that it wouldn't cover the whole screen.

And explorer.exe crashed as I was about to turn my machine off last night, which I don't think happened on the previous build during the ~1.5 months I was using.

BUT generally speaking I love it. I think it's really good. Personally I'm a fan of the new start bar - I prefer that it doesn't take up the whole screen, and I never use the tile window on Win 8.1 which is what I have at work (and what I'm typing this on now).

glaurung

Update to this latest build took me 8-9 hours. Count them: eight to nine.

I literally went to sleep because I couldn't be arsed to sit and wait any more. It had finished by this morning, but I had to leave for work so I could not check it out yet.

Has to be a bug with the update mechanism.

Wait, so
they seriously removed the option to hide the search icon from the taskbar in the new build?

It's either box, icon, or completely off.
If you turn it off, there's no search in the start menu.
If you want to search your computer from inside of the start menu, you're required to have the icon in your task bar.

You can hide task view, but search is either fully on or fully off.
What kind of sense does that make???

FSLink

Banned
Wait, so
they seriously removed the option to hide the search icon from the taskbar in the new build?

If you want to search your computer from inside of the start menu, you're required to have the icon in your task bar.

? Still works fine on my build. 10049. If I disable the icon/field on the taskbar, it still shows up on the start menu for me.

Milpool

Wait, so

The whole search thing is bugged for me, doesn't matter if I have the search box showing/icon/hidden. Some days I just can't type into the box whether the start menu is open or closed, I can highlight what's already in there; "Search the web and Windows" but I can't delete or overwrite it. Sometimes a reboot will sort it out, sometimes it just fixes itself after a while.

I think it's been happening to me in the last 2 or 3 builds.

edit: Highlighting Windows Explorer in the task manager and clicking restart fixes it.

I tried to update from 10041 to 10049 in a different VM and get following message.

"Updates are available, but we temporarily need 0.00 MB of space to install. Remove some things you don't need right now and we'll try again."

When I go to Storage, it tells me that 12.2 GB out of 49.6 GB are used. That surely should be enough?

? Still works fine on my build. 10049. If I disable the icon/field on the taskbar, it still shows up on the start menu for me.

Disable it and then reboot or log out and back in.
I forgot to mention that part, sorry. When you disable it it works as you'd expect it to until you restart Windows at which point it's off completely until it's turned back on.

Milpool

I forgot to mention that part, sorry. When you disable it it works as you'd expect it to until you restart Windows at which point it's off completely until it's turned back on.

Does restarting Windows Explorer from the task manager make it work again?

Hmm interesting, definitely not the case for me. I've hidden search from the taskbar, but can still search from start menu and I have restarted multiple times.

I did notice that I cannot access my comcast email from the actual comcast website on spartan. Loading icon just keeps spinning endlessly.

So you can now grab previews for the Music and Videos apps from the beta store. Note how they appear to be dropping the "Xbox" branding from these apps (smart move IMO).

Mr_Zombie

So I installed the new update yesterday/today. It started to install at about 22:45 and when I was going to sleep, at about 0:00, it was still at 19%. The longest Windows update/installation I've ever experienced.

I wanted to test Project Spartan at least for few minutes today before I had to go to work, but I couldn't. It was constantly crashing. No matter what I tried to do (sometimes I didn't even have to do anything) - it just closed itself without any message or crash report. :/

Are those stats in the battery saver settings any reliable yet?

It's showing search being the most responsible for my battery drain, which 99% of its consumption coming from the screen.

Which is totally weird because I barely using the search bar just now and them when I'm opening an app that's not pinned on my start screen.

Btw, what System and Screen means, when it come to app battery usage?

Started the upgrade yesterday morning; came home and realized that I'd forgotten about my startup password :p Thing was stuck on the very first reboot.

Still, it finished up overnight, so I should be able to play around with it more when I get home today.

Ake

Neo Member
Update to this latest build took me 8-9 hours. Count them: eight to nine.

I literally went to sleep because I couldn't be arsed to sit and wait any more. It had finished by this morning, but I had to leave for work so I could not check it out yet.

Has to be a bug with the update mechanism.

Shit me too! I was not prepared for this. 7 hours and counting :(

Top Bottom